• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Dragon Commander |OT| The political RTS/TBS/RPG/Action game

FACE

Banned
I feel the same way, simply because RPGs are my favourite genre, but interestingly enough it seems like this one is just as large a project for Larian (in terms of production).

There's a lot more PC talk here on GAF now than back in 2006 when I joined, but much of it revolves around console ports. The group of old-school PC gamers may not actually have grown as much as a casual glimpse of the thread titles and post count may indicate. This is a very "PC" game, so I didn't expect a lot of movement in the thread, but I have to say the lack of interest is still a bit disappointing.

The lack of interest is extremely disappointing and it's not just on GAF, the game isn't even on Steam's top 20.

I don't think there's any random generation, actually. The main singleplayer campaign revolves around capturing strategic maps while story stuff happens in between -- at least as far as I understood it, I haven't played that part yet! Oh, and I think story-wise you actually fight your siblings (other Dragon Knights).
To get a better idea of how that play out you can watch the Let's Play linked in the OP.

In multiplayer, you can either play a single RTS skirmish or an entire strategic campaign.

Thanks, will do that. Just had a friend reviewing the game describe some of the political things you can do and this just shot up quite high on my things to grab list. Unfortunately I'm quite poor at the moment and Pikmin 3 and Dragon's Crown take precedent. This will be next though.

Durante

The lack of interest is extremely disappointing and it's not just on GAF, the game isn't even on Steam's top 20.
I'll just choose to believe that's because everyone is buying the game on Larian Vault.

.. that must be it, right?

I'll just choose to believe that's because everyone is buying the game on Larian Vault.

*snickers*
Has the game been marketed at all lately? I haven't seen too much on it, and as you mentioned it caters to a more specific audience so I'm not surprised it isn't breaking the charts down. As for Gaf I get the impression that there aren't' too many people interested in RTS games more than anything else. This has more going on but most of the stuff I saw during development focused on the RTS bits which didn't seem great at the time and not on the political elements which seem to the most interesting bit aside from the genre mixing.

I keep getting this message when I quote you Durante
You have selected 1 post that is not part of this thread. Quote this post as well, or deselect this post.
What's that about?

FACE

Banned

Well, I hope it does well on Eastern European countries.

Edit: I did my part and bought the game from the Larian Vault, what should I do with the Steam key? :D

Durante

I only started XCOM yesterday!
I still haven't even started playing that. Thanks for reminding me :p

What's that about?
I have absolutely no clue. I'm not aware of any particular tomfoolery I pulled in this thread which could confuse the board software.

Edit: I did my part and bought the game from the Larian Vault, what should I do with the Steam key? :D
Well, You could print it out, fold the sheet of paper and wear it as a hat. Or you could enter it in your Steam client to play the game with Steamworks features. Or both.

Llyranor

Anyone try this co-op yet? Interested to see how the co-op campaign (if there is one) works. One player handles the RTS part and the other the dragon or something? Can you carry through the entire campaign like? Can you swap roles per individual mission?

FACE

Banned
Well, You could print it out, fold the sheet of paper and wear it as a hat. Or you could enter it in your Steam client to play the game with Steamworks features. Or both.

I must confess, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Durante.

Dawg

*snickers*
Has the game been marketed at all lately? I haven't seen too much on it, and as you mentioned it caters to a more specific audience so I'm not surprised it isn't breaking the charts down. As for Gaf I get the impression that there aren't' too many people interested in RTS games more than anything else. This has more going on but most of the stuff I saw during development focused on the RTS bits which didn't seem great at the time and not on the political elements which seem to the most interesting bit aside from the genre mixing.

What's that about?

Good sir, it means you pressed the "+" quote button before, but ended up not posting. You probably pressed it to quote Durante, but you forgot to post or something.

VandalD

Larian is awesome, but I just can't convince myself to jump in at that price when strategy games aren't usually my thing. I certainly wouldn't be interested in the multiplayer side of it. I'm sure I'll get it at some point though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Also, it's pretty criminal that this thread is pretty sparse and devoid of hype and gaffers. Figures that a PC only game made and designed for the old school gamers would not interest GAF at all.

Great OP, Durante, absolutely wasted on the console based heathens on GAF, heh.

You tend to see a lot of the same people in threads for these very PC games.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Larian is awesome, but I just can't convince myself to jump in at that price when strategy games aren't usually my thing. I certainly wouldn't be interested in the multiplayer side of it. I'm sure I'll get it at some point though.

$16. He comes highly recommended.

Momentary

Banned
Picked the game up yesterday. I'm not interested in playing in the Beta though since it's only multiplayer. I suck at going up against people in RTS games. Hope the single player campaign was worth my money.

There's a lot more PC talk here on GAF now than back in 2006 when I joined, but much of it revolves around console ports. The group of old-school PC gamers may not actually have grown as much as a casual glimpse of the thread titles and post count may indicate. This is a very "PC" game, so I didn't expect a lot of movement in the thread, but I have to say the lack of interest is still a bit disappointing.

Yeah there's a lot of love for the console port, the indie games both retro and modern, and the PC-AAA (Basically blizzard and valve)... but the reason I've always, always, always had atleast a modest pc, even at my poorest during my 20s, was for games like this. Unfortunately the growing popularity of the PC as a place to play games doesn't seem to spilled over to these very PC-only type games.

I think part of the blame falls on modern game design. Every RTS minus Starcraft boasts of "Streamlined economy and gameplay!" like stripping away layers is actually good for a strategy game. So you take something like this... a RTS with some CIV-type overworld stuff, some RPG mechanics and even some card game and I think the average gamer, pc or otherwise, thinks it will be over their head.

It's not though. I'm trying to get into Crusader Kings 2 right now and *THAT* is over my head... but im enjoying peeling back the layers and trying to figure it out. The basics on this game seem relatively easy to pick up - atleast from what the beta has shown.

If pulled off correctly this could be a GOTY candidate for me. I miss action-rts games that much.

epmode

I'd be more excited if I could actually play the single-player mode in the beta.

That and I'm far more interested in Original Sin.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
.. Uh.

I should really be hyped up for this.
I mean, i've wanted another proper Fantasy RTS since Warcraft III, and some 4X elements can't hurt.
Dragons can't hurt, either.

But.. that seems too ambitious, and moreover, it reminds me of the kind of terrible Brutal Legend RTS mode.

Oh, well. Very cautiously optimistic.

.. Uh.

I should really be hyped up for this.
I mean, i've wanted another proper Fantasy RTS since Warcraft III, and some 4X elements can't hurt.
Dragons can't hurt, either.

But.. that seems too ambitious, and moreover, it reminds me of the kind of terrible Brutal Legend RTS mode.

Oh, well. Very cautiously optimistic.

I actually enjoyed Brutal Legend despite the jank, but worry not... the beta of the game paints a picture of a much more focused and tight experience. The RTS stuff works like RTS stuff, the flying the dragon works like a solid flying-TPS... as for the 4k stuff, I can't really speak to that. But the rest is very solid.

This thread is now poisoned by the mention of one of the worst games ever made.

Is there an estimate of how long the story mode is? I realize there are varying ways to deal with things, ie you can choose to segregate races and the like, but is there one end game?

Good sir, it means you pressed the "+" quote button before, but ended up not posting. You probably pressed it to quote Durante, but you forgot to post or something.
Thanks! Weird, never noticed that happening before today though.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I wish this game a lot of luck. I really want it to be good. I took a liking to Larian during their KS campaign for Divinity.

Amici

Everytime I hear of this game it sounds more awesome. But I'm wary of spending the full price for this game only to be disappointed. I hope it turns out to be really really good. Because I really want this game to be good, and if it's mediocre I just can't justify playing the full 40 USD for it

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I've had this preordered for what feels like a month now, but didn't put too much time into the beta. I dipped my feet in enough to know that I'm going to like it, but I'd like to learn to play the game via campaign before jumping into skirmishes and multiplayer. I don't have much experience with the RTS genre, and I felt a bit overwhelmed by just how complex the game is.

Vlodril

Got a couple of questions if anyone knows. Can you pause this game mid battle like total war? Also can you play co-op with a friend and conquer the whole map?

I can't find excitment for this game.

And sad thing is i did it to myself. Someone written in preview that it's like Homeworld with dragons so I build by imagination of how it will look like and now finished game is diffrent from what i had in vision :)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Got a couple of questions if anyone knows. Can you pause this game mid battle like total war? Also can you play co-op with a friend and conquer the whole map?

Am also interested in this since am terrible in RTSes in general so doing co-op would be far more beneficial to my fun factor and stress levels lol

Durante

In case anyone is deliberating, today is the last day you can get the preorder bonus: a free upgrade to the imperial edition which includes a skin, a campaign map, a documentary and the digital soundtrack.

Durante

I just read the GameStar Germany review (81%). Their main criticism is that the RTS gameplay can be repetitive, but they reviewed an early beta and that's the part which changed most over the past month.

The major positive points they mention are
  • good controls in all gameplay modes
  • a long campaign with lots of replayability as well as choices and consequences (!)
  • a large variety of research and upgrade options
  • interesting characters on your ship

Hrothgar

Vault, all of your money goes to the developers AND you get a Steam key.

I don't have to pay anything, it was a KS reward. So I don't know if a Steam key is also included if I choose the Vault as the distribution method.

EDIT: Ah well, I went with the Vault and it does indeed come with a Steam key.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Argh you bastards are going to drive me over the edge to pre-order this, even though I wont be able to play for a month or two. D:

Thanks for linking to the let's play durante (and for the OP itself)

I was extremely skeptical of this before I saw it, I quite liked divinity 2 and this seemed like some awful arcade game spinoff from the first footage I saw (which was just the jetpack dragon -ugh- shooting stuff ), but it's something completely different.

I don't play 4x games but since it's a mix of things I might enjoy it, I'll definitely check it out in a few days if it turns out to be a solid game.

garath

Game looks really cool. I want it. But not for $40. I don't want to abuse the Dunder store since I thought I remember reading he was shutting down?

I'll wait for the first sale. Just spent too darn much on the Summer sale. :(

FACE

Banned
The key for the full game (not just the beta) is available on larian vault now.

I'm preloading!

SokOzyi_zps56e5e5fc.gif

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Game looks really cool. I want it. But not for $40. I don't want to abuse the Dunder store since I thought I remember reading he was shutting down?

I'll wait for the first sale. Just spent too darn much on the Summer sale. :(

It was a notice for an unspecified future date, so people would not be surprised. He will continue to do business for the foreseeable future.

My god, FACE. What is with that resolution?

Effect

I really don't understand why the dragon form has a jet pack. That wasn't required in the Divinity 2 from what I remember.

Wortany

Wow, thanks for making this thread, I completely lost sight of this game. And I have to admit it looks great now.
I wasn't really convinced when I saw the earliest footage of this game. But the Let's Play really showed how well made it is (except for the AI, which Swen mentioned was still in the tweaking phase at the time).

Last day pre-ordering it now!
I'm wondering if I should take a quick peek at the beta now or just wait until tomorrow.

Durante

I really don't understand why the dragon form has a jet pack. That wasn't required in the Divinity 2 from what I remember.
Divinity 2 is significantly later in the timeline, which (maybe counter-untuitively) means it's also much lower tech.

Also, the Dragons don't exactly need the jetpacks, they just make them faster.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Watch this playthrough. Its so you can traverse the map quickly without breaking the verisimilitude of the situation. The game is a RTS not a RPG, so speed is essential.

Top Bottom