• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga |OT| Re-release with new expansion and updates

Ceebs

I have passed what feels like the halfway point now and the 4th zone has really opened up thanks to the dragon form stuff. So much so that I have zero idea where I am supposed to go for the main quest. Instead I keep stumbling across tons of quests and dungeons to explore. The battle tower mechanics are great as well. nothing says "you are a badass" like having a giant tower fortress with servants to do your bidding. (yes, you totally get peons you can send out to farm mats for alchemy/enchanting etc.)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Big fan of owning an actual product over some nebulous digital license.
I recognize that digital distribution is our inevitable future, and my insanely rapid adoption of iOS games certainly shows that I can go that way if I have no other option.

But as long as a retail solution exists, I'll pursue it exclusively.
And I won't apologize for it, either! :)

Edit - Thanks Fred. I'll wait a few weeks to see if it really stocks.

Aaron

There's a lot I'm enjoying about this game, but the thing that strikes me the most is just how very well paced it is. You start in a little village trying out the different combat styles, killing throw away goblins until you feel ready to move on. Then it's a slightly larger village with a handful of quests to accomplish in a relatively small section of the valley. Gives you time to buff up your character, buy some good gear, and generally get into the flow of the game. Then you face the first big challenge, proving you're capable of being released into the wider world, where things start rolling along.

I love the super jump you get at this point too. I've been playing on hard, and it really helps to kite enemies and avoid incoming fire. Combat is quick and pretty badass.

Ceebs

My one complaint about the game so far is that it needed a Lore Index/Codex that filled out as you read the boatloads of books you find. They give a ton of backstory and fill in some gaps about the characters you are introduced to once you get to Lovis' Tower in that 2nd major area, yet they take up valuable inventory space.

koji

Ceebs said:
My one complaint about the game so far is that it needed a Lore Index/Codex that filled out as you read the boatloads of books you find. They give a ton of backstory and fill in some gaps about the characters you are introduced to once you get to Lovis' Tower in that 2nd major area, yet they take up valuable inventory space.

Yeah I think I deleted about 20 books so far, kinda stung but I just didn`t have enough room anymore...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Minsc said:
Looking at EviLore's second screen from the OP, it almost looks like they worked shadows in to the engine this time around, Oblivion didn't have any iirc (other than on the characters), I remember being shocked to have that pointed out to me... so maybe that's it?

Just checked the settings, there are separate options for how many shadows and what type of shadows you want. Grass shadows and tree canopy shadows.
Effect is a lot more subtle though, and slightly lower detail even on the highest settings, it also dawned on me how much better looking DKS is compared to an unmodded Oblivion.

But yeah, it seems Divinity has more advanced shadowing than Oblivion which would explain why my CPU has a bit of a hard time with it. (But other open world games seem to do just fine, even Stalker with the Complete mod which has dynamic shadowing on pretty much everything:( )
What worries me is that people are experiencing that it's harder to even keep a solid 30 after the hotfix

koji

Easy_D said:
Just checked the settings, there are separate options for how many shadows and what type of shadows you want. Grass shadows and tree canopy shadows.
Effect is a lot more subtle though, and slightly lower detail even on the highest settings, it also dawned on me how much better looking DKS is compared to an unmodded Oblivion.

But yeah, it seems Divinity has more advanced shadowing than Oblivion which would explain why my CPU has a bit of a hard time with it. (But other open world games seem to do just fine, even Stalker with the Complete mod which has dynamic shadowing on pretty much everything:( )
What worries me is that people are experiencing that it's harder to even keep a solid 30 after the hotfix

Yeah not sure what happened with the hotfix... Anyway I`m not complaining (anymore), somehow SLI is working now (forcing AFR2), disabled shadows and running everything else on max @ 60fps Vsync locked. Plays and looks great.

The jump from 30 to 60fps makes for a completely different combat experience. I Love it.

But that steady 30fps I had pre hotfix with everything on maxed, including shadows is gone, might be just my rig (gtx295 always had dodgy stuff going), or me fumbling something but I tried tons of stuff and settings...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
koji said:
Yeah not sure what happened with the hotfix... Anyway I`m not complaining (anymore), somehow SLI is working now (forcing AFR2), disabled shadows and running everything else on max @ 60fps Vsync locked. Plays and looks great.

The jump from 30 to 60fps makes for a completely different combat experience. I Love it.

But that steady 30fps I had pre hotfix with everything on maxed, including shadows is gone, might be just my rig (gtx295 always had dodgy stuff going), or me fumbling something but I tried tons of stuff and settings...
Lot's of impressions I read say the same thing, can't keep a steady 30 without sacrificing something.

Hotfix just hit Steam, gonna try it out :D
I can't seem to find the settings files :lol

Edit: Well fuck, now I'm just angry I can't get a solid 60 frames per second whereas a solid 30 was good enough for me to begin with :lol.

Anyone know which settings to lower? Tried with HDR on and Off, didn't have a big impact, same with shadows.

I fucking hate Gamebryo, it doesn't matter much what I am looking at but the direction that I am looking.
An example of this is me facing a solid rock wall, in one direction, gives me around 50-60, look at a rock wall in the opposite direction and I get 180. Shit's so random. Unless it renders stuff off screen since the map does continue on in that direction >_>

I'll fiddle until the game gives me proper framerates. :)

Edit #2: Actually, I'll just lock it to 50 frames per second, still a huge improvement over 30 and I won't be annoyed by the constant ups and downs from 180 to 50-ish :lol

koji

Easy_D said:
Edit: Well fuck, now I'm just angry I can't get a solid 60 frames per second whereas a solid 30 was good enough for me to begin with :lol.

Anyone know which settings to lower? Tried with HDR on and Off, didn't have a big impact, same with shadows.

:lol

Yeah my feelings exactly after installing it, anyway, disabling shadows and forcing SLI did it for me.

Aaron said:
I changed it to 60, and got smooth animation with absolutely no problems. One of the lucky ones I guess.

It all seems to be pretty random, combat improved a lot though with the higher framerate.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Easy_D said:
Lot's of impressions I read say the same thing, can't keep a steady 30 without sacrificing something.

Hotfix just hit Steam, gonna try it out :D
I can't seem to find the settings files :lol

I fucking hate Gamebryo, it doesn't matter much what I am looking at but the direction that I am looking.
An example of this is me facing a solid rock wall, in one direction, gives me around 50-60, look at a rock wall in the opposite direction and I get 180. Shit's so random. Unless it renders stuff off screen since the map does continue on in that direction >_>

I'll fiddle until the game gives me proper framerates. :)

Edit #2: Actually, I'll just lock it to 50 frames per second, still a huge improvement over 30 and I won't be annoyed by the constant ups and downs from 180 to 50-ish :lol

How to lock at a particular frame rate other than monitor refresh rate (or 60FPS), if we want so?

koji

kittoo said:
How to lock at a particular frame rate other than monitor refresh rate (or 60FPS), if we want so?

In the .xml you can edit, instead of picking 0 for unlocking it, just put any number you want in there. (Now it's on 30, but you might as well put it on 40/50 whatever)

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
koji said:
In the .xml you can edit, instead of picking 0 for unlocking it, just put any number you want in there. (Now it's on 30, but you might as well put it on 40/50 whatever)

Thanks, though I dont have this game. I was asking more generally. Is there any way of doing it for any game we want? Of setting customized frame cap? Nhancer or anything else?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on a patch that works with the Steam version? The 30fps cap is the only thing holding me back from buying this.

Zefah said:
Any word on a patch that works with the Steam version? The 30fps cap is the only thing holding me back from buying this.

The Steam version is patched with the hotfix. The config.xml can be edited in the Steam directory.

Aaron

Zefah said:
The steam version has been patched for a while now. You need to manually edit the .xml file to change the framerate.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I picked it up and played for an hour or so. I gotta say, this game is pretty great!

I tried playing first without messing with the config.xml file, but 30fps was not to be put up with! It feels much better now that I set the cap at 60fps and turned off v-sync. I occasionally get some screen tearing, but not enough to bother me.

I'm still in the first village after becoming a Slayer, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I will definitely be playing through this.

Ceebs

Zefah said:
I picked it up and played for an hour or so. I gotta say, this game is pretty great!

I tried playing first without messing with the config.xml file, but 30fps was not to be put up with! It feels much better now that I set the cap at 60fps and turned off v-sync. I occasionally get some screen tearing, but not enough to bother me.

I'm still in the first village after becoming a Slayer, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I will definitely be playing through this.
The game really kicks into gear once you do the quest with the ghost. Mindread often by the way. Lots of hidden skillpoints and items that way.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ceebs said:
The game really kicks into gear once you do the quest with the ghost. Mindread often by the way. Lots of hidden skillpoints and items that way.

Really? Even in that first town?

33 XP per Mindread seems a bit steep.

This game is on my backlog and i want to finish it to minimize my guilt. The 360 patch better fucking get here soon because i really cant afford to buy a new game right now, and need to play the ones i bought dammit!

Ceebs

Zefah said:

It's an EXP debt. The next EXP you earn pays it down so you never lose any EXP mindreading. It's usually about 1-2 kills worth.

Aaron

Zefah said:

The training area isn't the first true town. There isn't anything to find there, but when you hit Broken Valley there's a ton of stuff to discover, and quite a bit by reading minds. You'll get skill points, quests, and other rewards by it. 33xp is nothing. I regularly pay over a 1000xp and I have two skill points in reducing the cost.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well I just put in a bit more time and made it up to level 7. I did a bunch of quests and beat the ghost in the back of the church. I really like the sense of progression and getting stronger in this game. Thanks for the tip about Mindreading, by the way! Lots of cool stuff and quests from using it.

This game is really quite awesome. I'm quite glad I picked it up.

koji

Some screens, resized from 1920x1200. Pain in the ass to take good screenshots from this game, engine looks a lot better in motion. No AA, can`t force it with my SLI setup.

Divinity2%202010-11-08%2013-02-03-79.jpg

Divinity2%202010-11-20%2010-49-43-29.jpg

Divinity2%202010-11-20%2010-52-18-25.jpg

Divinity2%202010-11-20%2010-54-21-65.jpg

Armor and artwork in this game looks amazing. (imo) Think I`m closing in on the end of the first chapter but I just keep finding stuff to do. Think I`m about 15/16 hours in. Lvl 16.

Just cleared the Maxos Temple and starting on the Battle Tower islandthing.

Two Worlds 2 will just have to wait a bit longer. :D

Finguo

Going to buy this soon. Is there any point in playing with the fps cap in the ini if my system probably is not going to get a steady 30 fps on medium to high settings anyway? My setup is AMD X4 3ghz, 8800GT (upgrade due next year), 3GB RAM, WinXP, 1440x900.

Aaron

Finguo said:
Going to buy this soon. Is there any point in playing with the fps cap in the ini if my system probably is not going to get a steady 30 fps on medium to high settings anyway? My setup is AMD X4 3ghz, 8800GT (upgrade due next year), 3GB RAM, WinXP, 1440x900.
You're computer kills mine, save for the same video card, and I get a steady 60FPS. I wouldn't play it any other way.

Finguo

Aaron said:
You're computer kills mine, save for the same video card, and I get a steady 60FPS. I wouldn't play it any other way.

Great, thanks for the info. Didn't expect such good performance on a rig like that. The demo for the original was a buggy mess, couldn't even set the resolution correctly. So I didn't know what to expect. But what you posted sounds quite encouraging :D .

dak1dsk1

Banned
Loading times between entering buildings and re-entering the open world are insane though. I opened at door, and the game started loading. I went out to pee and get some soda, and it was still loading when I came back. Never seen such long load times. (360 version)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Loading times are quick, but the quick saves are anything but quick. I swear they take like 10 - 15 seconds for me. Very annoying. Otherwise the game is really good.

Coverly

Got this game earlier today and quite enjoying it. The mind reading aspect at the cost of xp is a really nice feature. Good voice acting and good variation on what npcs say depending on the situation.

The gameplay looks very gamepad friendly, but there is no option for it. Maybe I'll create an xpadder profile later. It's also weird that the game has a brightness setting, but none for contrast.

Zefah said:
Loading times are quick, but the quick saves are anything but quick. I swear they take like 10 - 15 seconds for me. Very annoying. Otherwise the game is really good.
That sucks, its about a 4 second pause for me, so I make use of it all the time.

I love this game, its easily one of the best I have played this year, im just totally sucked in to it, I just cleared the battle tower. Story is actually awesome, especially if you explore everywhere and pick up all the books, letters etc that flesh out the backstory alot more.

koji

pseudocaesar said:
I love this game, its easily one of the best I have played this year, im just totally sucked in to it, I just cleared the battle tower. Story is actually awesome, especially if you explore everywhere and pick up all the books, letters etc that flesh out the backstory alot more.

Yeah it`s a really rewarding experience if you just invest time in it and look everywhere. I also love it that sometimes you just spot something in the distance and think hmm that looks interesting and when you go to check it out there`s a hidden treasure or secret cave or whatever there. That feeling is quite an achievement, sure it`s lineair but it`s pretty free form at the same time imho.

Quests and puzzles are pretty clever as well, same for the writing. You just feel this game is made by heavy metal RPG lovers with beards, long hair and a beerbelly. :lol <3
There`s just so much attention to tiny details, every dungeon and silly cave looks like it took dozens of manhours crafting it, not just USE CAVE TEMPLATE 024 or INSERT DEFAULT DUNGEON 046.

Oh btw I opened a thread on the xfire new game ideas forum to get it added to the list of supported games, if you use xfire and want it supported pls post a +1 or whatever. There`s no timetracking in game hence xfire. (for us retail or non steam people)

link: http://www.xfire.com/forums/182627/topic/2275951/

Well, I am at the Orobas Fjords, having just completed the Battle Tower area, only thing is I cant seem to get past the big forcefield, and have no idea how to turn it off?

Dalauz

pseudocaesar said:
Well, I am at the Orobas Fjords, having just completed the Battle Tower area, only thing is I cant seem to get past the big forcefield, and have no idea how to turn it off?
There is some bunker SE of the map.

Effect

koji said:
Some screens, resized from 1920x1200. Pain in the ass to take good screenshots from this game, engine looks a lot better in motion. No AA, can`t force it with my SLI setup.

<images>

Armor and artwork in this game looks amazing. (imo) Think I`m closing in on the end of the first chapter but I just keep finding stuff to do. Think I`m about 15/16 hours in. Lvl 16.

Just cleared the Maxos Temple and starting on the Battle Tower islandthing.

Two Worlds 2 will just have to wait a bit longer. :D

Yup. I've been trying to decide what I wanted to get in place of Black Ops Wii and this is it. Can You Run It? says my system surpasses the minimum requirements by a lot so I think I can get a good showing out of this. Looking at the recommended I think my procoesser matches or is just under it but everything else surpasses that. So once I take the game back tomorrow I'll be ordering this via Impulse.

The game has a 5 machine install limit right? Can you get back installs or is it 5 installs no matter what?

Has the game (original release included) done well sales wise (worldwide)?

Aaron

pseudocaesar said:
Near and a bit above the first nest tower there's a warp. It should take you right to the fort where you need to switch the barriers off.

Gattsu25

Banned
This game has some good indoor lighting.

I'm also finding it really hard at some parts and almost too easy at every other part. Really weird lack of balance with the difficulty.

Overall very impressed with it, though. Quest design seems good so far.

Aaron

Yeah, most boss fights are pretty much impossible on hard. There's usually not enough room to avoid enemy attacks.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Been playing it some more. The graphics are insane. Best yet on Xbox, imho. Those months of tweaking really paid off well.

Thanks guys, I really dont know how I missed that seeing as though I swear I flew around for what felt like hours looking for something!

Effect

Are the new adventures within the original story playthrough or post-main story (after you've originally beaten the game)?

Ceebs

Effect said:
Are the new adventures within the original story playthrough or post-main story (after you've originally beaten the game)?
The expansion is a separate item on the main menu.

Top Bottom