• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga |OT| Re-release with new expansion and updates

koji

Effect said:
Excitement over getting the Battle Tower is officially over. Only lasted a few minutes as I was walking around the place. I expected more I guess. The payoff just didn't compare to the adventure to actually get it. Oh well. What good are having these helpers if in the end I'm the the one still doing the actual crafting of items? I guess I just assumed that if I sent items to the tower or had my runners get resources I'd simply be able to buy items from the helpers or pick them up from them since I'm supplying them the materials. What I have in the end are simply a bunch of glorified workshop tables.

What bummed me out the most is that you can only send your runner to collect 1 of each kind, like 1 flower, and that's it... Was expecting like 3 to 6 or something I dunno, the music playing dude in the tower is cool though :lol

Really should continue playing but I'm totally hooked on SC2 again and I'm kinda waiting till I get enough money to replace my GTX295, having a lot of sli glitching and performance issues in DKS...

JDS 1977

Banned
koji said:
What bummed me out the most is that you can only send your runner to collect 1 of each kind, like 1 flower, and that's it... Was expecting like 3 to 6 or something I dunno, the music playing dude in the tower is cool though :lol

Really should continue playing but I'm totally hooked on SC2 again and I'm kinda waiting till I get enough money to replace my GTX295, having a lot of sli glitching and performance issues in DKS...

I think I get several of each thing I ask for. Have you upgraded their armor and weapons? I wish the tower was more upgradeable. but it's still fun like it was upgrading the keep and seeing your battle trophies in DA.

koji

JDS 1977 said:
I think I get several of each thing I ask for. Have you upgraded their armor and weapons? I wish the tower was more upgradeable. but it's still fun like it was upgrading the keep and seeing your battle trophies in DA.

Hmm, that dude is upgraded all the way yeah, the others aren't. Only tried once though, might have just been bad luck. Have to recheck that.

desverger

Can you change your appearance anywhere else than the starter village? I goofed and typo'd my name, and only noticed this after 5 hours of playing :p

Yeah, it's strangely addicting.

JDS 1977

Banned
desverger said:
Can you change your appearance anywhere else than the starter village? I goofed and typo'd my name, and only noticed this after 5 hours of playing :p

Yeah, it's strangely addicting.

There's your own stylist guy in your tower. Also Maybe in Aleroth too I forget.

Effect

I wonder/hope there is more to
Sassan. I liked her leading up to the the tower but now she's just a merchant in the battle tower bedroom. No other significant interaction.
. Disappointing.

Overall I'm hoping the village system in Two Worlds 2 is better. Reminds me a lot of the Geo village system in White Knight Chronicles.

desverger

JDS 1977 said:
There's your own stylist guy in your tower. Also Maybe in Aleroth too I forget.

Allright, cheers. Maybe my game doesn't warrant a restart then :p

Started off with the "ranger" path, it's quite funny to have a responsive action game with a bunch of rpg stuff on top of it. Things like circle-strafing, dodging and shooting from top of tall structures seems to work great.

koji

desverger said:
Things like circle-strafing, dodging and shooting from top of tall structures seems to work great.

Oh yeah, it's all about kiting stuff with the bow, don't forget to spend some points on INT for the magic dmg multiplier on certain bows.

desverger

koji said:
Oh yeah, it's all about kiting stuff with the bow, don't forget to spend some points on INT for the magic dmg multiplier on certain bows.

Hmm yeah, so far I've been distributing my points between Dex, Vit and a little bit of Str (for melee resistance). I do have noticed some bows have + magic damage in them, but I figured those were mostly for caster hybrids and have been staying away from them.

Aaron

desverger said:
Allright, cheers. Maybe my game doesn't warrant a restart then :p

Started off with the "ranger" path, it's quite funny to have a responsive action game with a bunch of rpg stuff on top of it. Things like circle-strafing, dodging and shooting from top of tall structures seems to work great.
The ability that makes your arrows explode is essential for the later game, since you can hit and stagger many targets over a good range. Add in a fireball and some summons, and you'll only have to dodge incoming fire.

desverger

Aaron said:
The ability that makes your arrows explode is essential for the later game, since you can hit and stagger many targets over a good range. Add in a fireball and some summons, and you'll only have to dodge incoming fire.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I figured using some summons later on in the game would be great, since I don't necessarily have to boost my Int-stat for the magical damage.

desverger

I recently started the expansion as Ego Draconis grew a bit stale - and was plesantly surprised by the amount the quality jumped up. Is the general consensus that Flames of Vengeance is much better than it's predecessor or was it just the fact that I could have a second go at the character creation, with the exception that this time I actually knew what I was doing, that bumped up the enjoyability?

Clydefrog

Just started playing this game last night.

I bought the original Divinity II: Ego Draconis but the gameplay was VERY juddery/stuttery. It wasn’t smooth at all; it would run like crap so I gave up on it. I picked up Divinity II: DKS on Steam sale a couple months ago. It’s better but I still get some annoying, jerky gameplay. Can someone point me to a good tweaking guide? I’m really enjoying the game so far and would hate for these display problems to persist throughout the game.

My system:
Intel Core2Duo E6750 processor 2.66 GHz
NVIDIA GTX 260 core 216 896MB
4 GB RAM

BTW I noticed that my video card fan runs really loudly while I play. At least I think that’s what the sound is… That can’t be good, can it? I play TF2 regularly fine. I just finished Fallout: NV with decent settings on and my video card wasn’t nearly as noisy during that game.

The music in this game is great! That was one thing that I loved about the original Divine Divinity.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ok, so I'm playing this again to gear up for Dragon Age and I'm not sure how to level my character properly. If I want to go Warrior route I should bump dexterity + strength and vitality. If I want to go mage route I should bump spirit and intelligence. But If I want to do an arcane warrior, that's quite a different thing. I could bump dexterity + strength + intelligence but then I'll rely on potions heavily. Is there an alchemy mechanic in the game, so I could make them myself? I just completed my first dragon flight
in the dream
, so I have to decide before it's too late.

I just picked up the X360 version yesterday since I'm selling my PC I guess I'll have to make do with inferior versions from now on. The game seems to suffer from the same problem that all Euro WRPG's do: shitty animation, inconsistent framerate and bugging (Gothic, Risen...even The Witcher had this stuff, why?). I wasn't expecting a highly polished game so I wasn't disappointed in it, I know what to expect from these types of games by now.

Anyway, despite me sounding negative I played the shit out of this for about 5 hours straight, it's a fun game and it's nice just to run about exploring, doing side missions and killing monsters etc. It really reminds me a lot of Risen, although I would say Risen is possibly the better game.

Gvaz

Banned
I started up this game and I was at first not mindreading everyone but once someone told me it's all worth it in the end I figured I'd start.

I have a few questions though:

1. once I read a book, can I sell them for cash? They take up space in my inventory, and I'm not sure if they lead me to any place.
2. I found Arnold's Belt but I can't give it to him? Same with the mace? They're colored yellow like an artifact or something...
3. Do I have to fight the shade in the crypt in order to go to the next zone? I've already killed everything in this zone but there was one place where some dudes were blocking my path, and I can't kill the other three mini boss monsters for the quest. Does that open up later?
4. what are things like the ores or stuff used for? what about food? should I hold on to them to make food or shit later on, or use the ores to make weapons?

subversus

Gvaz said:
3. Do I have to fight the shade in the crypt in order to go to the next zone? I've already killed everything in this zone but there was one place where some dudes were blocking my path, and I can't kill the other three mini boss monsters for the quest. Does that open up later?
4. what are things like the ores or stuff used for? what about food? should I hold on to them to make food or shit later on, or use the ores to make weapons?

3. Yes. Level up, buy good equipment and kill him in 3 blows. Yes, you've to kill him to progress to the other area.
4. You will use ores later in the game. Use food to regain health and alcohol to regain mana.

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah I went down there and he's like "Fight me newborn" and I smacked him and his skeleton a bit and they died to a few hits and a whirlwind.

subversus

Gvaz said:
Yeah I went down there and he's like "Fight me newborn" and I smacked him and his skeleton a bit and they died to a few hits and a whirlwind.

the game just opens up. There will be a lot of interesting gameplay options later.

Clydefrog

My archer is level 25 and really overpowered. I still have over a dozen skill points to distribute as well. Game's gettin too easy!!

But it's still fun as hell.

Moonstone

This game is awesome. Picked it up saturday and didn't expect much.
But now I'm really addcited! I really like the loot generator. German synchro is top!

Clydefrog

Moonstone said:
This game is awesome. Picked it up saturday and didn't expect much.
But now I'm really addcited! I really like the loot generator. German synchro is top!

*opens locked chest*
*crappy items*
quickload!

*repeat many times*

Clydefrog

subversus said:
This game is an outstanding RPG. I can't stop playing. Never expected it.

I'm having a great experience as well. Did you happen to play Divine Divinity? If not, I'd really recommend it. It contains some of the same locations and characters. It's a fantastic hack-and-slash RPG similar to Diablo that is still very playable today. You can pick it up from GOG.com for about 5 bucks. WORTH IT

There was also another one that came out after DD called Beyond Divinity. This game was worse than DD but if you really enjoy the Divinity series, I’d say give it a shot. Expect to be frustrated though.

I love how Divinity II has throwbacks to the older games hidden throughout. I remember being in a random dungeon; I was in a treasure room of sorts and I saw a framed painting of the silly-looking Death Knight from Beyond Divinity sitting on the ground next to a barrel. I laughed! I also remember a conversation about drudanae, the special plant; the NPC talked about what quests you had regarding drudanae in the first game (DD).

koji

Clydefrog said:
I love how Divinity II has throwbacks to the older games hidden throughout. I remember being in a random dungeon; I was in a treasure room of sorts and I saw a framed painting of the silly-looking Death Knight from Beyond Divinity sitting on the ground next to a barrel. I laughed! I also remember a conversation about drudanae, the special plant; the NPC talked about what quests you had regarding drudanae in the first game (DD).

Hehe, yeah stuff like that is great. Divine Divinity was an awesome game, Beyond Div not so much though. :)

subversus

well, more about the game

First, it's addicting.

It looks and plays very well on PC after all these patches. 60 fps unlocked, not a hitch, a lot of graphical options, multi-core rendering. Still problems with aliasing though, shadow filtering strongly improves in a close distance, but looks considerably worse further away.

Plot: what I find amusing is that the game doesn't try to be a mature RPG or something like that. It's pretty lighthearted with a lot of humour, sometimes hilarious dialogue lines and funny sidequests. Still it has a coherent plot (but it's very hard to follow due to lore density) and some surprises which come from European heritage methinks - different plot conventions etc etc. Still don't expect to be SOMETHING, it's just a generic fantasy but it doesn't feel not forced like Bioware games. You'll never meet traders who cheat you in by selling counterfeit swords that look powerful in a store but loose their stats soon after you acquire them in Bioware games.

Combat: at first it's confusing and not deep. Also no blocking. But when you upgrade your abilities and meet numerous powerful enemies it becomes challenging, tactical and hectic at the same time. I somehow rolled generic warrior but I wish I had done a priest. It would play a lot more interesting due to summon and stealth abilities. Still you can combine priest and a warrior but I chose a pure warrior.

Gameplay: the game constanly evolves. You get new abilities, new "features" (like your minions) and now I'm about to get my own place with an alchemist, enchanter and so on. All places are pretty different, enemies don't scale (I got to Fiords prematurely and was rewarded with like 5-minute fight with two enemies ( a lot of reloads) and immediate level up after that). Also no place is the same + strong exploration "component". Also LOOT + alchemy, etc etc

Music and art are very good.

The slayer controls very smoothly, animations are hypnotic, I'm jumping all the time just because it feels good. As I understand you learn new moves while you level up, because I wasn't able to jump that high at beginning. There's no damage from fall btw. Unrealistic but feels RIGHT.

buy this game if you're into CRPGs.

vocab

subversus said:
well, more about the game

First, it's addicting.

It looks and plays very well on PC after all these patches. 60 fps unlocked

What is your specs? Just curious.

Clydefrog

subversus said:
You'll never meet traders who cheat you in by selling counterfeit swords that look powerful in a store but loose their stats soon after you acquire them in Bioware games.

Combat: at first it's confusing and not deep. Also no blocking. But when you upgrade your abilities and meet numerous powerful enemies it becomes challenging, tactical and hectic at the same time. I somehow rolled generic warrior but I wish I had done a priest. It would play a lot more interesting due to summon and stealth abilities. Still you can combine priest and a warrior but I chose a pure warrior.

Gameplay: the game constanly evolves. You get new abilities, new "features" (like your minions) and now I'm about to get my own place with an alchemist, enchanter and so on. All places are pretty different, enemies don't scale (I got to Fiords prematurely and was rewarded with like 5-minute fight with two enemies ( a lot of reloads) and immediate level up after that). Also no place is the same + strong exploration "component". Also LOOT + alchemy, etc etc

The slayer controls very smoothly, animations are hypnotic, I'm jumping all the time just because it feels good. As I understand you learn new moves while you level up, because I wasn't able to jump that high at beginning. There's no damage from fall btw. Unrealistic but feels RIGHT.

buy this game if you're into CRPGs.

HAHAH who was that damn vendor! NORYFUNDUS! Such a dick

And yeah, I jump ALL THE TIME. I feel like I’m going faster that way. Front-flippin’ my way through the forest. Oh also when you get the ability to
turn into a dragon
you can pretty much skydive. It’s hilarious/awesome.

I’m in the Fjords area now and I still haven’t bothered to create a creature via my necromancer. I guess I should get on that… is it just like a companion that helps you fight? If he dies, do you lose all his body parts that you made him with?

last night I cleared out my first
flying fortress
and daaamn did that place have a lot of enemies.

Dizzy-4U

subversus said:
It looks and plays very well on PC after all these patches. 60 fps unlocked, not a hitch, a lot of graphical options, multi-core rendering. Still problems with aliasing though, shadow filtering strongly improves in a close distance, but looks considerably worse further away.
I hope they added SLI compatibility. I need to try this again. Last time the game run like crap on my Pc.

koji

Dizzy-4U said:
I hope they added SLI compatibility. I need to try this again. Last time the game run like crap on my Pc.

Forcing alternate frame rendering 2 with nvidia inspector (first you need to make a div profile and assign the divinity2.exe) worked wonders for me when I still had my GTX295. Well wonders, SLI worked when I forced it on like that. Otherwise it's just a single GPU when you leave everything default.

Stuff like that in 50% of the games out there made switch back to a single fast GPU...

matmanx1

Started on DKS a couple of days ago and I am seriously impressed. This is another game I picked up during the Steam Holiday sale and have been waiting until I finished a few things to start it up.

I've put nearly 10 hours in in less than 2 days time and I'm really having a good time with the game. I'm running a 4GHz i5 2500k, HD 6970 combo and am running the game at pretty much max and it's smooth and gorgeous.

Playing a pretty normal warrior right now although I plan to mix in a few spells later on for utility. Rush Attack + Whirlwind and Life Leach are working pretty well right now and I am enjoying the speed and fluidity of combat. So far, this game is exceeding my expectations in every way.

subversus

The game continues to impress me.

20 hours in and I'm still opening up new mechanics and exploring old ones.

also it's huge. Dungeons are interesting and differ from each other. Environments are really beautiful sometimes.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Ricker said:
360 version is fine,the demo is probably still out there and it`s pretty big,but that whole section is fine on normal but the problems are the muddy graphics and difficulty as soon as you start the flying part...you can`t see too well,there`s a section with lava and flames everywhere and you have to shoot down towers and you get attacked from everywhere by other dragons you can barely see...that`s where I stopped playing.Also if you play more of a missile flinging/mage type guy,the game is very hard at times and you die pretty fast...enjoyed it but the flying and high difficulty made me stop playing it.

I heard they rebalanced some of those things though now so maybe it`s worth it,just for the expansion.Doesn`t look like it`s coming to North America though,as the game probably sold 300 copies up here.

Just got the weekly Gamestop email, and it looks like the 360 version of this WILL be coming to the US. Release date is listed as 4/12/11, and will be priced also at $40. Pretty excited about this news. Didn't think we'd be receiving this in the States. Here is the link:

Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga!

tekumseh said:
Just got the weekly Gamestop email, and it looks like the 360 version of this WILL be coming to the US. Release date is listed as 4/12/11, and will be priced also at $40. Pretty excited about this news. Didn't think we'd be receiving this in the States. Here is the link:

Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga!

I preordered it at GameStop the day they announced it... which was some time in January.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I loved this game until I lost my 36 hour save. Have I said this in here already? I don't care, it still hurts :(

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Shed_a_Ninja said:
I preordered it at GameStop the day they announced it... which was some time in January.

I did not recall seeing a listing for it on their website. Just assumed it was a new announcement. Thanks for the clarification and I'm still pretty excited about it!

subversus

_tetsuo_ said:
I loved this game until I lost my 36 hour save. Have I said this in here already? I don't care, it still hurts :(

Still I guess these 36 hours were good.

matmanx1

Yeah kudos to Atlus for that release. I think it's abit of a risk for them because of MS's minimum print number (I've heard rumor of 50k recently) and the fact that the first Divinity II release on 360 wasn't that great. And of course it's hard to know if the audience will be there for DKS on the 360. I hope it works out for them.

Clydefrog

Finally beat it last night at level 37, completely overpowered with my bow. Hated the ending, but oh well. The game was a blast.

onto the expansion!

matmanx1

Welp, I'm closing in on level 30 and taking on my first flying fortress (Stone's) and it's a wild ride for sure. It's a big step up in difficulty from most of the overworld stuff just because of the amount of enemies and ranged attacks being launched at you but that just makes it all the more satisfying to conquer.

I had been using the full Blood Echelon set from about level 15 to about level 25 but over the last couple of levels have updated some pieces and tonight found a rather tasty mithril hammer that really upped my damage. It's fairly mundane in terms of normal damage but it has a large magic damage attribute and then a +100 magic damage charm on top of that so my character damage stat looks like this (88-99)+ (310-310) and I am pretty much owning face with it at this point.

I continue to say that I am surprised at how much fun I am having with this game and just how big and impressively laid out it all is. There's a ton of content here and with the latest patches in place the game looks and runs beautifully on my PC. I'm in no hurry at all to finish and every play session I find some new quest or little flavor spot that I hadn't seen before and I'm pretty stoked to see just how powerful my little Dragon Knight can become.

matmanx1

Finished the first part and am now into the expansion content. Ending was surprising but leads nicely into the expansion and certainly gives you a compelling reason to keep on going!

Ended up at level 35 using a fairly beefy sword and board build and was able to pretty much steamroll everything up to and including the last fight. 1 potion was all I needed for that encounter. Life leech and whirl wind are beastly at 10+ points each.

Took me right at 38 hours for the main game and I did probably 95% of the available quests. There were a couple I missed from the first area that I didn't realize until later but I feel like I got a great value and a really fun game for my money, especially considering I've just started on the expansion areas.

This is a great game, folks!

subversus

matmanx1 said:
Ended up at level 35 using a fairly beefy sword and board build and was able to pretty much steamroll everything up to and including the last fight. 1 potion was all I needed for that encounter.

wat

Top Bottom