• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga |OT| Re-release with new expansion and updates

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ceebs said:
The expansion is a separate item on the main menu.
Yes but if you start with Ego Draconis the game continues into the Flames of Vengeance expansion as if it were part of the game all along. So you continue with the same character and same inventory and everything :)

And about the DRM "Issue" yes, you can deactivate it when you uninstall the game. The developers have expressed interest in removing the DRM further down the line, however.

Cronox

Banned
Hey guys, thinking about getting this game when/if it goes on sale soon. How would you rate the story compared to other western RPGs like Dragon Age, The Witcher, etc?

What kind of character relationships can you have? Are there recurring NPCs?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm waiting for this to go on sale as well. Impressions are strong and I am pretty much always in the mood for a good CRPG.

vocab

Is this game good? I put it on my Top five wish list hoping I get lucky with a CRPG I know nothing about.

I heard Divinity II: Ego Draconis was kinda meh (Id still play it if it was cheap). This looks a lot better.

Aaron

Cronox said:
Hey guys, thinking about getting this game when/if it goes on sale soon. How would you rate the story compared to other western RPGs like Dragon Age, The Witcher, etc?

What kind of character relationships can you have? Are there recurring NPCs?
It'd rate the story better than DA (cliched rubbish), but not on the level of the Witcher. While there is a substantial story with almost too much history it's focused mainly on action. Character interactions are fairly shallow, while there are only a few reoccurring characters. Voice acting sounded pretty great to me though so what story there is gets delivered well. It's very much an action RPG though, focused on building up your character and getting better loot.

JoeBoy101

Picked this up and have been enjoying it for the little I've played so far, but is there ANY way to enable some AA? I've tried the in-game, nVidia console, and nHancer all so far and can't make it work.

Ricker

nli10 said:
Anyone tried/got the 360 version? Can't find much about it online.

360 version is fine,the demo is probably still out there and it`s pretty big,but that whole section is fine on normal but the problems are the muddy graphics and difficulty as soon as you start the flying part...you can`t see too well,there`s a section with lava and flames everywhere and you have to shoot down towers and you get attacked from everywhere by other dragons you can barely see...that`s where I stopped playing.Also if you play more of a missile flinging/mage type guy,the game is very hard at times and you die pretty fast...enjoyed it but the flying and high difficulty made me stop playing it.

I heard they rebalanced some of those things though now so maybe it`s worth it,just for the expansion.Doesn`t look like it`s coming to North America though,as the game probably sold 300 copies up here.

koji

JoeBoy101 said:
Picked this up and have been enjoying it for the little I've played so far, but is there ANY way to enable some AA? I've tried the in-game, nVidia console, and nHancer all so far and can't make it work.

Check these threads;

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564640

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565992

Requires some fooling about with Inspector and AA comp modes, should work if you don`t have an SLI setup, if you have SLI forget about it. (like in my case)

New patch is now available on the Steam version.

The following features and fixes are included in this patch:

Nightmare difficulty mode has been added
The graphic options have been extended
A number of balancing changes were included (overpowered enchantments, empty containers)
The interact button now also takes all items in a container
Compatibility fixes are present for various graphic cards (black screen problem)
A system fix was introduced that solves issues like invisible npc's and overpowered enemies
A number of minor fixes were done

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=430308&an=47#Post430308

The AA looks much better than before (on my ATI card), but still not perfect.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The new demo is out. I tried it, liked it and bought the game. I can't fathom how a low-budget RPG can look better than some NA AAA wrpgs. I just want to know where the money went.

you can now cap fps in menu. I wish more games had this option.

vocab

subversus said:
The new demo is out. I tried it, liked it and bought the game. I can't fathom how a low-budget RPG can look better than some NA AAA wrpgs. I just want to know where the money went.

you can now cap fps in menu. I wish more games had this option.

Most of the budget for Bioware games goes into the sound. It shows in every PC port of their games. Don't get me wrong, ME2 looks good, but if they went the extra mile, it would look beyond amazing. Wait till old republic comes out, and you realize the game sucks dick, but it's a fully voiced mmo!

subversus

vocab said:
Most of the budget for Bioware games goes into the sound. It shows in every PC port of their games. Wait till old republic comes out, and you realize the game sucks dick, but it's a fully voiced mmo!

I highly doubt, it looks pretty good graphically (latest shots at least) and most recent impressions were positive.

Still most of their budget goes into sound, that's a fact. I think they could hire less high profile actors.

the question is why Bethesda's games are so ugly then??

Crazetex

I still love that the men in this game seem to have great asses. Maybe it's just their armor, though; I was a little disappointed when I realized that Balthier's posterior was made out of hipbags on his belt, so I'm just looking, waiting for the real virtual thing...

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
epmode said:
Still holding out for a Steam daily sale! ..but I guess I'll pick it up on Sunday if not.
Ditto.

This is the one game I went into the Steam holiday sales hoping for the most.

Seventy5

Anyone played this and Risen or Arcania: Gothic 4? Are they similar at all? I really like the feel of the game, but the graphics are getting to be a problem telling whats ahead of you. I will probably keep it but if those other 2 games are similar I may give them a go also.

Munin

Seventy5 said:
Anyone played this and Risen or Arcania: Gothic 4? Are they similar at all? I really like the feel of the game, but the graphics are getting to be a problem telling whats ahead of you. I will probably keep it but if those other 2 games are similar I may give them a go also.

Risen is good, Arcania is shit.

Seventy5

Munin said:
Risen is good, Arcania is shit.
I downloaded & played the Arcania demo, it looks horrible. It's also still $60 and Risen is $18 used, so I guess I'll go that route. Risen doesn't have a demo, so I'm taking your word for it :lol

Vamphuntr

Someone gifted me the original Ego Draconis for 360. I like it but the game feels broken difficulty wise. I'm trying to play a mage build and god the fights are boring and hard. The only way to stay alive is to bait each enemies separately and spam Magic Blast and Magic Missiles. I love the fact that you need to search for clues to progress and you must find alternative paths and way to get to your objectives. I'm now stuck at a boss in the maxos temple. The boss explosive arrow kills me in one hit :( and I don't feel like starting a new character from scratch.

vocab

Did the developers say when they were removing securom? I remember reading on the forum they disliked it, and are looking to patch it out int the future.

I'll play the demo in the mean time.

Aaron

Vamphuntr said:
Someone gifted me the original Ego Draconis for 360. I like it but the game feels broken difficulty wise. I'm trying to play a mage build and god the fights are boring and hard. The only way to stay alive is to bait each enemies separately and spam Magic Blast and Magic Missiles. I love the fact that you need to search for clues to progress and you must find alternative paths and way to get to your objectives. I'm now stuck at a boss in the maxos temple. The boss explosive arrow kills me in one hit :( and I don't feel like starting a new character from scratch.
You can changed the difficulty on the fly. Just lower it for the harder bits.

Ettie

Bought DKS on steam sale. Started character. Played about 4 hours, had a great time. Uninstalled non-steam demo, which also deleted my new save in the steam version. Supremely irritated.

Just bought this game on Steam, and it really surprised me. Looks very good, plays very fluidly, and the FPS-like camera works great. I'm also surprised how much conversations and voice work there is. Even the most lowly guard seems to have his own voiced conversations. And the voice acting is surprisingly good. Soundtrack is excellent!
Best game I've bought in the Steam sale this year!

epmode

I'm really liking this so far! It hits all of the fun WRPG things. Tons of items, quests, stats. Looks great too, aside from the typical lousy animation. Oh and <3<3<3 infinite respecs <3<3<3

If I had to complain, wtf @ subtitles. I don't understand how anyone can build a game like this and not allow you to disable them for the incidental dialogue. ..AND I don't like how you have to use experience points to read minds, even if the result is worthless.

subversus

epmode said:
Tons of items, quests, stats. Looks great too, aside from the typical lousy animation.

..AND I don't like how you have to use experience points to read minds, even if the result is worthless.

Combat animation is pretty well done. But dialogue animation....

Also I liked mindreading mechanic because it would lose its charm if you can read anybody's mind. It's like money. You buy info.

epmode

I love how nearly every item has a little bit of flavor text. And how you can manually flip the book pages instead of just clicking Next Page.

Ceebs

epmode said:
I'm really liking this so far! It hits all of the fun WRPG things. Tons of items, quests, stats. Looks great too, aside from the typical lousy animation. Oh and <3<3<3 infinite respecs <3<3<3

If I had to complain, wtf @ subtitles. I don't understand how anyone can build a game like this and not allow you to disable them for the incidental dialogue. ..AND I don't like how you have to use experience points to read minds, even if the result is worthless.
The EXP for mind reading is a non issue. It's pretty much 1-2 kills per mind read once you get past the low level goblins.

Tendo

It is downloading now, but what classes are you all playing? In these games I like to go ranger. Is there a way to hot swap to daggers or swords once enemies get close or is it all bow all the time like Diablo? I really have no idea how character creation goes in this...

Tendo said:
It is downloading now, but what classes are you all playing? In these games I like to go ranger. Is there a way to hot swap to daggers or swords once enemies get close or is it all bow all the time like Diablo? I really have no idea how character creation goes in this...

Yes, you have 3 weapons sets that you can swap between very quickly with F1/F2/F3.

I'm really amazed by how good this is. I love how it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Does anyone know how to get Jackson's Cleaver? It's stuck
in the ceiling down in the farm cellar
but I have no idea how to pick it up.

Yasae

Banned
BrokenSymmetry said:
Just bought this game on Steam, and it really surprised me. Looks very good, plays very fluidly, and the FPS-like camera works great. I'm also surprised how much conversations and voice work there is. Even the most lowly guard seems to have his own voiced conversations. And the voice acting is surprisingly good. Soundtrack is excellent!
Best game I've bought in the Steam sale this year!
I feel exactly the same. God bless borsdy for gifting me this!

Aaron

Tendo said:
I've found that a combination of ranger with monster summons is the best way to play the game on hard.

Just hit the 10 hour mark - not sure how to word it.. This game just clicks for me, not sure if it's the back story or the constant dodging combat of a ranger. Having more fun with this than any game I can remember in a long time.

Great great game. Hope it ends as well as it's started.

I was reading the official forums last night, one of developers posted that details on a US released for the '360 version should be announced soon. I'm excited. :D

koji

Baloonatic said:
I'm really amazed by how good this is. I love how it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Does anyone know how to get Jackson's Cleaver? It's stuck
in the ceiling down in the farm cellar
but I have no idea how to pick it up.

Yeah that's a tricky one, well tricky... There is a
button hidden near a pilar I think

It's hidden pretty good though. :D

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wow, this looks great. It also looks like less of a pain in the ass than Dragon Age AND you get to BE the dragon? *adds to wishlist*

Erudite

Just got to the part where you become a
Dragon Knight
and I think this game has finally clicked with me.

Started out as a run of the mill, WoW-Fetch quest RPG, but its starting to take an interesting turn now. Interested to see where it goes, unfortunately I've got class early tomorrow >.>

Effect

Finally bought the game and have to say I'm enjoying it so far. Not very far into the game though. Just got the point where I ran into
the Dragon Knight Talana and on my way to the tower
. The loot system is a bit weird though. Got a really good two handed sword in the first dungeon like area that made it really easy to finish. It helped with the goblins in the area since they tend to swarm at times.

At first glance it looks like a normal hack and slash game but it's so easy to die if you aren't careful. I'm finding myself thinking about my encounters before I fully get in range. I find myself casting magic, then using warrior skills to rush into battle to do aoe damage to end things quickly.

The game looks great of course. I'm glad I decided on the PC version. Not only because of the updated version but also because I'm now closer to the screen. I played the original demo on the Xbox 360 and while my TV is now larger it was still to small for my liking. Some of the quest are weird. It's easy to fail a quest before it even starts if you pick the wrong response. Several ways to end some quest as well which was nice. There is no right or wrong though which I didn't expect. Though there was one quest where the outcome is the same no matter what you do. I really dislike that entire quest to be honest (didn't agree or side with anyone with it) but hopefully I won't have to see those characters again. If I can kill npcs I'd rather take that option just to satisfy myself. Oh well.

The story so far is interesting but it's still early. This house option I got was interesting. I didn't read any manual before I started (as soon as Impulse finished installing I just started playing) so it was a surprise.

Effect

Excitement over getting the Battle Tower is officially over. Only lasted a few minutes as I was walking around the place. I expected more I guess. The payoff just didn't compare to the adventure to actually get it. Oh well. What good are having these helpers if in the end I'm the the one still doing the actual crafting of items? I guess I just assumed that if I sent items to the tower or had my runners get resources I'd simply be able to buy items from the helpers or pick them up from them since I'm supplying them the materials. What I have in the end are simply a bunch of glorified workshop tables.

Malio

Watched a buddy of mine play this, and it looks amazing. I was very impressed by the graphics, story and the combat system. I also like the mind reading option, adds another dimension to it. Definitely gonna have to pick this up when it goes on sale on Steam again.

JDS 1977

Banned
I'm loving this game. I think I just started the expansion without even realizing it. The transition was seamless with the exception of seeing much more awesome gear in the shops at that point.

The combat is great and makes you feel pretty badass, the armor and weapons are awesome looking and extremely detailed as well as the world itself.

Quests are pretty original and not too much like an MMO and the game itself is pretty serious with the exception of some dry or sarcastic humor here and there.

Anyway more people need to buy this game it's a great action rpg mixed with some epic adventure with a good story that will keep you interested.

Top Bottom