• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga |OT| Re-release with new expansion and updates

Owzers

Do we think the 360 version of Knight Saga will be worthwhile? Comes out April 11th in the U.S.

demo today for the U.S.? argh it's gold exclusive.

I played a few minutes of the demo on the 360. Seems to run very smooth. I've been holding out on Divinity for this version. Looks like it may be worth the wait.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I really hope they have a third (fourth?) game in the works, loved Divinity 2/FoV. Bellegar is a badass.

Tried demo, its a HUGE improvement from the original release, even just replaying the same original start as the original game.

Original release had 2 problems eliminated in the new build

1. Framerate was terrible
2. In order to increase performance, ambient life (animals, people etc) updated at a way lower rate than the regular framerate making them appear stop motion and terrible.

This demo was awesome, definite buy. I liked the original game looked great but just performance was bad. This new build fixes all the faults and feels like it was developed for the xbox 360 expressly. Nice job, and nice price and preorder goodies. Sold.

Ricker

So I guess it`s the same demo that was up a year ago for the original release,I won`t bother then,played through half the game,had fun with it but the flying killed it for me...

Ricker said:
So I guess it`s the same demo that was up a year ago for the original release,I won`t bother then,played through half the game,had fun with it but the flying killed it for me...

Is that what the technical issue was? It was actually Ego Draconis's demo?

Jinaar

I fucking hate GAF. Now I have THE WITCHER: Enhanced Edition, RISEN and now DIVINITY II; THE DARGON PEOPLES MISSION IF THEY CHOOSE TO EXCEPT cRPGs to pass in the next few months. And its not like there are alot of people saying to get this, just like one or two very outspoken ones, court jestering up a storm on how good this is. Take my $40 Steam, take it and shove it up your bank account.

*will test game out tonight, Thanks N-Gaf! Hugs!*

epmode

Jinaar said:
I fucking hate GAF. Now I have THE WITCHER: Enhanced Edition, RISEN and now DIVINITY II; THE DARGON PEOPLES MISSION IF THEY CHOOSE TO EXCEPT cRPGs to pass in the next few months. And its not like there are alot of people saying to get this, just like one or two very outspoken ones, court jestering up a storm on how good this is. Take my $40 Steam, take it and shove it up your bank account.
I can confirm that all three of those are semi-awesome to fuckawesome, depending on your jank tolerance. Well worth $40! Hell, I paid over twice that and I don't regret it.

stuminus3

Jinaar said:

*will test game out tonight, Thanks N-Gaf! Hugs!*
You really should make sure you add the new Drakensang to your list. It's amazing. Actually for shits and giggles get the first game too.

Jinaar

Restarted RISEN last night, did the modifications to AA the the nVidia Control Panel and voila, the game is beautiful. And that's just RISEN. I really shouldn't complain. I think I paid $30+ for RISEN, $10 for THE WATCHER and $40 for DIVINITY 2: The Saga of Choice. For three games with a wealth of things to do, one cannot go wrong.

I will look into Drakensang for sure after I pass at least 2 of the 3 here.

Growing up, I use to be a JRPG Juicer. Now I sniff the CRPG line.

Again, much appreciative to the genuine love for great games like these, here on GAF. It gets people like myself interested and informed.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
sweetvar26 said:
So this is the better demo?

Is it back on the marketplace or is it still down?

it is a better demo but I don't know anything about marketplace.

subversus said:
it is a better demo but I don't know anything about marketplace.

Damn, I want to try it. Not sure if it is the same one on the marketplace right now or if I should wait till it gets updated.

Thanks anyway.

Jinaar

Ok .... ten hours in.... my random thoughts:

- Graphically, this is a beast. The animations are great, the environments are lush, the people look visually appealing, except for the bums in the games, they look pretty rough :) But life gave them a pickle to be in.

- Voice acting is spot on, humorous, very well done.

- This game is basically WoW laying down with FABLE and producing a Child so Golden, Eddie Murphy came back to life and had a successful reboot of his career in the year of our lord of 2011.

- I'm rushing in, I'm putting up the shield walls, slashing with the sword. I'm doing things!

- I am glad they took the time to make every place unique. Even if it is a little storage dungeon, its has little differences that match the NPC you are stealing from :) Sir Robin's storage dungeon was particularly well done. Attention to that detail is what makes this game so great.

- All in all, superb job here. A fun journey that is only getting better. I think I am in Maxis' tower now. Just at the base. Adventure Time begins later tonight!

Malio

Playing the PC version of this, I can say this is an amazing game. This is the first RPG I'm reeeeally getting into since Fallout 3.0 Excellent!

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Jinaar said:
- All in all, superb job here. A fun journey that is only getting better. I think I am in Maxis' tower now. Just at the base. Adventure Time begins later tonight!

Actually, that's about when it gets worse again. That's what I thought at least. Up until you get your dragon form everything is fine and dandy, but the flying is just too boring and the fortresses bore me to death, even in their updated form. I'm glad the expansion ditched it almost completely.

The difficulty is also toned down. The original was already pretty difficult on normal, but I breezed through the updated version on hard.

i'm dl the demo now. i was interested in the game but the poor reviews with the technical issues on the 360 really drove me away.

could be worth $40.... we'll see!

Malio

This comes out tomorrow in NA. It's $38 on Amazon for a collector's edition with the soundtrack (which is excellent) and an art book. Absolutely worth it.

As for the xbox 360 version, there is a mammoth 2GB demo up on XBLA. Give it a try. IMO, it's very good and didn't really turn me off, which a lot of console RPGs do after I play them on PC, like I'm doing this game.

This is the only wrpg I've enjoyed this 'gen' (played it on PC).

Looks great, design is really awesome, great pacing (until you get to the fortresses...).

Had loads of fun with this, did not care at all for dragon knight saga though, but I enjoyed the heck out of the ego draconis remake.

Clydefrog

I'm really enjoying the expansion, Flames of Vengeance. There isn't any dragon form; it's basically you going around town completing quests, talking to people, and killing things. Oh and SO MANY SKILLPOINTS :eek:

Stumbled across a copy of Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga at a brick n' mortar a few weeks back and picked it up. I've seen Ego Draconis everywhere but this was the first and only copy of The Dragon Knight Saga I've ever laid eyes on. Pretty much bought the game solely because of the few threads about it here on GAF and so far I haven't been disappointed.

Hawk269

Malio said:
Playing the PC version of this, I can say this is an amazing game. This is the first RPG I'm reeeeally getting into since Fallout 3.0 Excellent!

I am new to PC gaming and been a console gamer most of my life, so the question I have for you is the PC version Controller Pad compatible? Specifically, the 360 pad?

Thanks!

Gvaz

Banned
I dont remember, I've been a PC gamer who dabbles into console gaming and I find the KB/M just fine for this game ;)

edit: you might not actually, there's a lot of PC interfaces you have to deal with such as clicking specific buttons and clicking mindread and such. I don't know if you could for sure.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Played a few hours of the 360 version (I already own Divinity 2 and DKS on Steam, but wanted to try it out), and I'm surprised at how well it plays. Really smooth frame rate (to my eyes, ymmv) and not too janky. It looks like they did a good job with it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Tried the demo out briefly on 360.

The framerate is pretty stable in the opening hours as mentioned, but holy fuck are the loadtimes unbearable. At least in the first town you visit, entering and exiting houses single-handedly killed any goodwill the engine improvements were giving off.

Combat came across as extremely clunky too. Melee felt like an awkward 3rd-person experiment circa 1998. Stilted animations, laggy input, almost zero satisfaction. Archery and Magic were less embarrassing, but just so.

I'm always intrigued by large scale RPG's, but what does everyone love about this? The demo kept draining my interest away the further I progressed.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
So here's a question. I generally prefer my RPGs to be story-driven, but I can appreciate a well-done hack and slash. I bought the fancy new version of Divinity 2 a few months ago and couldn't get past the starting village area because it was so dull. Just plinking away at goblins with my one or two boring skills with no characters or interesting story to speak of and the visual design is just so cliche...spikey armor and gigantic weapons on everyone's backs.

So, should I just give up and conclude that this is a well-made game but not for me, or does the combat get a lot more fun/the story pick up/loot get really cool later on?

Gvaz

Banned
Brandon F said:
Tried the demo out briefly on 360.

The framerate is pretty stable in the opening hours as mentioned, but holy fuck are the loadtimes unbearable. At least in the first town you visit, entering and exiting houses single-handedly killed any goodwill the engine improvements were giving off.

Combat came across as extremely clunky too. Melee felt like an awkward 3rd-person experiment circa 1998. Stilted animations, laggy input, almost zero satisfaction. Archery and Magic were less embarrassing, but just so.

I'm always intrigued by large scale RPG's, but what does everyone love about this? The demo kept draining my interest away the further I progressed.
I couldn't imagine playing this on a console because the loading times on PC are like 10 seconds sometimes 20.

Combat isn't too bad, it's interesting especially when you start getting talents. It's the animations that really feel weird because they're so excessive sometimes, like the landing animation after a fall.

As for satisfaction, that comes from looting, dressing up your character in armor you find from looting, the voice acting and mind reading people, completing the little hidden quests and secret chests everywhere, etc.

Dragon flying is a bit clunky but after a few minutes you get used to it. You don't have to fight the camera at least.

MollyMillions said:
So here's a question. I generally prefer my RPGs to be story-driven, but I can appreciate a well-done hack and slash. I bought the fancy new version of Divinity 2 a few months ago and couldn't get past the starting village area because it was so dull. Just plinking away at goblins with my one or two boring skills with no characters or interesting story to speak of and the visual design is just so cliche...spikey armor and gigantic weapons on everyone's backs.

So, should I just give up and conclude that this is a well-made game but not for me, or does the combat get a lot more fun/the story pick up/loot get really cool later on?

The art style is that way in general, I find it charming because while it's not exactly pushing any buttons, no other game really looks quite the same.

as for just plinking away in combat that gets better with skills and abilities. Generally you can max out two of these trees in the first game.

I wouldn't say combat is hte big draw of this game, rather it's the minigame and the meat of the game are conversations and finding where to do the minigame of combat again from conversations.

There's another thing you can do later, like building your own demon/zombie thing you can summon with you to dungeon crawl with.

As for the story, it opens up after that section you're in, so for the full game I'd suggest just skipping the first zone if it bores you. you have to complete the quest for that lady you met (i think you have to kill something or other, easy enough) then she sends you in the basement of the church and you deal with that, then run to the next zone (south west).

Keep in mind, DKS comes with a remastered ego dragonis, but also with an expansion that lasts about as long as the original. These guys pulled out all the stops they could.

JaxJag

Banned
I've played both releases on the 360.

If anyone is wondering, the difference in the two versions are huge. Almost a generational gap it seems.

Great RPG...

I've put a few hours in and the Dragon Knight Saga is fun as hell. Ego Draconis may have been a disaster, but based off of my time spent with The Dragon Knight Saga, it's easily on par with some of the major rpgs that have come out this generation. On a technical level (although I know I'm coming into the game rather late when many serious issues have been patched), from an animation standpoint, character or world art, the quality of the voice acting, they're hitting all of the right notes. The world design is one of the real standout aspects of the game for me, some of the environments and vistas look simply fantastic.

I love the fact that there's no loot or enemy level scaling, that there's a clear sense of player progression. You can become overleveled and simply tank your way through a section killing enemies in a single blow or, better yet, be completely underleveled and have some serious fights on your hands. Once you unlock some abilities and get some decent equipment, the combat becomes a little more complex and frenetic, it's a real blast playing the game as a pure melee character.

I've just got to the part where you become a Dragon Knight but I've been playing the game for hours. I probably could've advanced to this point in the main quest in a few minutes but I've been getting sidetracked with the optional quests or simply exploring.

The Dragon Knight Saga is turning out to be an incredibly enjoyable rpg, 30$ well spent. I'm really starting to appreciate European crpgs. First The Witcher, now Divinity II: DKS, I can't wait to try Risen or Two Worlds II next.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
yes, there are only four traditional RPGs delivered by american devs this gen, european devs do it on par with them these days (and start doing it better).

on a second thought "four" traditional RPGs is ok number.

Beergut

Picked up the new edition of this on Xbox 360 yesterday, but haven't had time to play yet.
Anyone else get this and put some time into it?

Did they do anything to improve the battle system in the Xbox 360 version? I hated how I never felt like I was hitting anything, and the fight between me and the enemies felt so disconnected.

Top Bottom