• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter by Larian Studios [Complete, ~$1 million funded]

coopolon

I went ahead and backed for $25. Still think it's too expensive but the Larian guys make awesome games and at least this way I can play it right away instead of waiting a month for it drop to $5 (which is probably how quickly the price will fall.)

Hope we reach the 800k stretch goal, that one looks good!

Palehorse

I've been a fan of the original Divine Divinity for a long time, that was a huge game.

I am now loving the look of the world for Divinity: OS, the polish, the turn based combat.

I am in for $25 and if I can get some reasonable extras I'll bump it.

On a slightly related note, the $15 kick in shipping for physical tiers to Canada really hurts. Like, a lot. Any KS campaign with that attached automatically loses my interest in the physical rewards. As most physical packs start around $65, another $15 is over the top.

Why not crate the Canadian physical rewards straight to a Canadian address and ship from there? Heck, I'll do the packing and shipping for you, just stop punishing us for living in an awesome country slightly to the north!

Mugaaz

Why do people have so much faith in this when Divinity2 was so bad? If they had asked for backing after DD1 I would be all there, but I HATED Divinity 2 so much.

Labadal

Why do people have so much faith in this when Divinity2 was so bad? If they had asked for backing after DD1 I would be all there, but I HATED Divinity 2 so much.

I had a lot of fun with Divinty 2 and its expansion. Backing this was an easy option.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Because Divinity 1 rocked so hard and the creators are citing Ultima VII as their inspiration for their latest game.

Also the preview videos look wonderful and the co-op dialogue system is genuinely innovative.

The game looks like it also has a tonne of work and polish already put into it and what they're asking for isn't really that much in the grand scheme of things.

No I don't work for Larian, but I do see the potential in D:OS and as a fan of isometric RPGs this project excites me. I'm a little more vocal in this thread because the Torment, Eternity, Wasteland, Shadowrun projects never looked like they were ever in trouble.

Hrothgar

Despite being quite rough around the edges, I enjoyed Divinity 2's gameplay and story. Each their own I guess.

coopolon

I thought the Divinity 2 + Expansion Pack was great. Never played it before the rerelease though but heard it was quite bad then.

Hell, they have 1000x more experience/credibility than inXile who haven't made a good game ever.

Eusis

No I don't work for Larian, but I do see the potential in D:OS and as a fan of isometric RPGs this project excites me. I'm a little more vocal in this thread because the Torment, Eternity, Wasteland, Shadowrun projects never looked like they were ever in trouble.
Beyond the names associated with them those were probably down to needing the money to get made at all. In spirit it's actually following those, the kind of game publishers don't want to bother with any more, but unlike those groups they obviously had the funds as is.

I did pitch in though, I like turn based combat and a giant world I can explore. Hell, I backed out of Wasteland and Shadowrun at the end, but I'm sticking with Torment and pitched in for Eternity (and Hero-U.)

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I've been a fan of the original Divine Divinity for a long time, that was a huge game.

I am now loving the look of the world for Divinity: OS, the polish, the turn based combat.

I am in for $25 and if I can get some reasonable extras I'll bump it.

On a slightly related note, the $15 kick in shipping for physical tiers to Canada really hurts. Like, a lot. Any KS campaign with that attached automatically loses my interest in the physical rewards. As most physical packs start around $65, another $15 is over the top.

Why not crate the Canadian physical rewards straight to a Canadian address and ship from there?
Heck, I'll do the packing and shipping for you, just stop punishing us for living in an awesome country slightly to the north!

They're shipping from Europe, hence the cost.

There wasn't an option to specify that shipping would be from Europe when they filled in their kickstarter project details. Furthermore please spare a thought for me and the other poor sods living in Australia ... :)

Eusis

It's plausible that Divinity 2's the result of when they're pushed too far from doing what they WANT to do, and so this is a snap back to Divinity 1, further in a sense given the turnbased combat. But I haven't actually sunk much time in either, I should probably change that to see if I really want to stick with the Kickstarter or just wait until the game's out.

Durante

I really believe that each of those stretch goals is more significant than 90% of the stuff we saw for Torment post-Avellone. I wish there was a better chance of this making it to a million.

I have a lot of faith in this because Divinity II was one of my games of the year in 2009. Also, they already have a lot of gameplay to show, far more so than the usual kickstarter projects, and it looks very promising.

pyrandes

Found out about this one last night and saw some of the gameplay footage. Looks fantastic.

Went in for $95 -- I'm a sucker for cloth maps.

Anno

In for $45 for the base game and beta access. Gameplay looks awesome, and I'm always a sucker for turn-based combat like this. Plus it comes out soon!

Anno

Just want them to get to $800,000, if possible. More storyline stuff for henchman would be awesome. Hope they implement PayPal processing soon!

Just want them to get to $800,000, if possible. More storyline stuff for henchman would be awesome. Hope they implement PayPal processing soon!

I think Swen said they will as soon as it reaches its goal because they only get the money through kickstarter if the original goal is met.

Zukuu

Banned
I think Swen said they will as soon as it reaches its goal because they only get the money through kickstarter if the original goal is met.

Amazon Payments has the ability to "mark" a payment without subtracting it. If the Project is funded, you get charged, if not, that mark simply disappears and no money flows. PayPal doesn't has that feature, so you'd be charged right away, which isn't really a problem if the project is funded, but if it doesn't meet the goal (although that is highly unlikely here), they'd need to perform a transaction for every single backer.

Dennis

Banned
If the stretch goals are to be trusted, the game we could be getting is much larger than just scraping by $400,000

Zukuu

Banned
I really believe that each of those stretch goals is more significant than 90% of the stuff we saw for Torment post-Avellone. I wish there was a better chance of this making it to a million.
Yeah. All of those goals are very defined and you have a solid grasp of what they will implement. The goals also all benefit the game greatly imo.

The new update makes that combat sound even more awesome!

Clarification:
2 Heros are fix (customizable to be of any gender, class etc)
2 Henchman (one for each hero) are optional.

The multiplayer also sounds rather interesting. That you can split and have different turn-cycles depending how far apart you are. I might be inclined to play that with a friend after all.

I really hope this goal is met (actually I hope all goals are met):
Personal traits and talents

Now what happens next depends on us making the "personal traits and talents" stretchgoal in our Kickstarter campaign, but let's be optimistic and imagine that we do. The following example is purely illustrative, so don't take it as an example that will be in the game. We hope it will be of course.

Because of the choices Scarlett and Roderick made, Scarlett gains a point in "Empathy" whereas Roderick gains a point in "Righteousness". Since this is not the first time Roderick went for the "Righteous" answer, the game decides it is time to award Roderick the "Righteous" personality trait, which means that from now on demons and other infernal scum will not be able to affect Roderick's mind because of the strength of his principles, i.e. his resistance to mind-control increases.

Had Scarlett and Roderick agreed, and if this would be the nth time that they agreed, then they might actually have gained a point in "party spirit", which would boost the bonuses they'd receive when fighting together instead of alone.
Tho, I hope "Party Spirit" isn't so strong, so you're not compelled to always agree.

epmode

I think I'm going to go with an AI setting for my partner. Having to account for his/her personality quirks sounds like a good time.

I'm going to be so disappointed if this doesn't reach $1M.

Why is $400,000 a stretch goal? Isn't that the goal?

The game will be released even if the Kickstarter fails so I guess the entire project could be considered a stretch goal.

Zukuu

Banned
Glad to see this is going to make it!

If it would have been released this coming week rather then at the end of the month during Torment:ToN and Shroud this could have been a lot more successful already. All of dem stretch goals are guuuuuuuuuuuuuud.

Anno

New Update out with some more detail about combat and the dialogue system. Really, really makes me want to get them to the Trait stretch goal.

Also updated referral data. GAF is on there, but we need to get it higher!

Necrovex

For Divinity II, how's the overall story and world-building in it? I bought it a while back, but I never got the chance to really play it. I seldom touch CRPG, so I will probably go in this game playing it on easy.

Zukuu

Banned
For Divinity II, how's the overall story and world-building in it? I bought it a while back, but I never got the chance to really play it. I seldom touch CRPG, so I will probably go in this game playing it on easy.

The game isn't that hard, so why play it on easy? If a game is too easy you'll get bored quickly.

Divinity II's story is decent, but the ending is very, very awesome imo.

Eusis

Amazon Payments has the ability to "mark" a payment without subtracting it. If the Project is funded, you get charged, if not, that mark simply disappears and no money flows. PayPal doesn't has that feature, so you'd be charged right away, which isn't really a problem if the project is funded, but if it doesn't meet the goal (although that is highly unlikely here), they'd need to perform a transaction for every single backer.
Well, it'd probably be safe to do in this case: the game seems as if it's going to be developed either way, so at least those that don't invest in some super special edition can just get sent the game upon release and those that DID invest a lot get refunded.

Necrovex

The game isn't that hard, so why play it on easy? If a game is too easy you'll get bored quickly.

Divinity II's story is decent, but the ending is very, very awesome imo.

CRPGs can be weird with its difficulty. Some of the CRPGs I have played in the past have whipped me good. Neverwinter Night 2 slaughtered me when I was young. Now I think about it, the last true CRPG I played was Dragon Age: Origin. I was able to play that on normal (for 90% of the encounters anyway), at least up to the moment where the game got rid of my characters kick-ass weapons.

Plus I am simply not that great when it comes to western CRPGs.

Zukuu

Banned
CRPGs can be weird with its difficulty. Some of the CRPGs I have played in the past have whipped me good. Neverwinter Night 2 slaughtered me when I was young. Now I think about it, the last true CRPG I played was Dragon Age: Origin. I was able to play that on normal (for 90% of the encounters anyway), at least up to the moment where the game got rid of my characters kick-ass weapons.

Plus I am simply not that great when it comes to western CRPGs.

Divinity II is more an A-RPG in the style of Gothic, Two Worlds and the Witcher than a cRPG ala Torment Neverwinther Nights and the like, so skill is more involved than pure stats (which still play the primary role tho). That is in particular true when you are in dragon form.
I'd never begin a game on normal, let alone easy. If you run into a brickwall, lower the difficulty until you feel challenged but comfortable. Slaughtering everything on first try without ever resorting to strategy is just is very boring. I mean, to me that is like playing Mass Effect 3 on its auto-play cinematic mode. "Fun" comes from accomplishment - that is universally true no matter the game genre. At the very least, start on normal, like it was "intended", if it's too rough (doubtful) you can always lower the difficulty. :)

I always start on Nightmare / Hardcore mode and lower until I see fit. For most games, that is indeed nightmare / hardcore (Fallout, DA:O etc). For some games (Halo) I tone it down to very hard / hard. The last and only game the past decade(s) I finished on normal was Uncharted halfway through, because the shooting passages were just soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tedious and I didn't care about the shooting part of the game AT ALL. It really felt just forced into the game.

Durante

New Update out with some more detail about combat and the dialogue system. Really, really makes me want to get them to the Trait stretch goal.
The whole update sounds great. I really like the concept of the teleportation pyramids and the tradeoff between being able to quickly return to a location and quickly moving to the other main character.

Gaspode_T

I actually have been digging the bit I have played of Divine Divinity on Steam, it feels almost like Skyrim 2D or something in that you can basically go into someones house and be a jerk if you want to, and lots of voice acting/story mixed with a large world to explore...so I went ahead and backed this for soundtrack level, supporting good ol isometric CRPGs with my wallet.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I'm about to embark on another Divine Divinity run courtesy of GoG. The soundtrack is very good - I sometimes listen to it even after all these years.

Minsc

Gold Member
What! I've been playing without knowing this... do you have any details? Any way to fix it?

Looking around the GOG forums, it only effects the overworld section of the game, and it seems perhaps some people's systems play more than 2 songs? There's never going to be a fix (did the source code get lost or something, I can't remember), so if it bothers you, the retail version is the only solution, but then there's other bugs present in that which are fixed in the newer GOG/Steam versions. The upside is, one of the songs it repeats (assuming I also had the problem when I played it) I really liked, so at least it's not just two bad songs or anything!

The always awesome Matt Chat has a big interview up with Divinity's lead designer Sven Vincke.

The way Swen described the quest system :)

Edit: New update!

(9:30) Quests aren’t going to hand-hold you through them. There isn’t going to be a “Quest Completed!” pop-up. Instead, your journal will have little parts of information, like “we found a book by a dead guy that talks about lying statues”, later if you talk to a statue, you might find “we met a statue, It might be one of the lying statues from the book”, and if you deal with the statue somehow, it’ll just be a thing, and you may not even realize that it was a quest.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/448488?ref=activity

Top Bottom