• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter by Larian Studios [Complete, ~$1 million funded]

coopolon

What! I've been playing without knowing this... do you have any details? Any way to fix it?

Pretty much what Minsc said. I've never played the retail version so I didn't even notice it when playing the game, I just did occasionally think "Wow, they didn't include a lot of overworld music in this game."

And you spend a LOT of time in the overworld. It's not like Diablo where 90% of your time is in dungeons.

There's no fix to my knowledge, although I guess it doesn't effect everyone. I would seek out a retail copy, but supposedly that is unstable at higher and widescreen resolutions which is way more important to me.

Anno

Listening to the Matt Chat thing now. 20 minutes in sounds great! Describing the quest system sounds awesome.

nonadventurer

Neo Member
Funded now! And a new update: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/449513

Paypal available now!

Also, now that the campaign is successful, paypal pledges are available. Click here to access our paypal pledge page.

Confirmed: Coming to Linux & Mac!

It's about time, but we are extremely happy to announce that Divinity: Original Sin will now definitely be coming to Mac & Linux. We will do everything we can to ensure that the release dates are going to coincide with the Windows PC release, but if that doesn't happen, it will be shortly after.

Gaspode_T

Believe it or not the FAQ on GameFAQs seems to have one of the best descriptions of why the game Divine Divinity is cool:
Divine Divinity is an Action-RPG released in 2002 by CDV. Its game play can
be best described as a cross between Diablo and Baldur’s Gate. The game
mechanics of Divine Divinity are very similar to Diablo, (Combat is basically
click a monster until it dies, skills are used with a right-click, ect.) but
with few noticeable differences. (Most notably is the ability to pause the
game at any time.) Where this game shines, however, is the evolution of game
play beyond the mindless hack-and-slash of its Action-RPG counterparts.
Quests in Divine Divinity are more than just go kill enemy X, take item Y
back to person Z, here quests are much more involved, requiring you to solve
puzzles, decide moral dilemmas, and uh... kill monsters. Instead of Towns
being merely a place to heal wounds and buy equipment they are now full of
NPCs who will give you quests, give you hints, or just share some gossip.

Dec

I'll be giving $40 this week. I prefer Kickstarters like this, games that are going to be finished anyways, but can be made better from donations.

coopolon

I'm not very hopefuly for hitting 800k or even 1mil. I guess how do the last few days compare to the first few days typically?

Zukuu

Banned
I'm not very hopefuly for hitting 800k or even 1mil. I guess how do the last few days compare to the first few days typically?

This was a LOT less front loaded than other gaming kickstarters, and the big projects ala Shorud and Numenera are finished now, meaning it'll probably pick up more steam toward the end.

Portugeezer

Believe it or not the FAQ on GameFAQs seems to have one of the best descriptions of why the game Divine Divinity is cool:

I got it when it was on sale on Steam, it's a great game but what I don't like about the old CRPG's is the world being blacked out and having to walk into a section to uncover it... maybe if the character uncovered a large area at a time it wouldn't have been so bad.

Usually the last week is pretty big for most projects.

It's also a bit more tempting because the game is scheduled to come this year, unlike some Kickstarter games which are still over a year away.

Durante

I added the stretch goals to the OP. As I said earlier, I think every single one of them is really significant (to an extent that I don't think was the case with most recent kickstarters), so I really hope that many of them are met. I'm pretty positive on the 650k goal considering the current trend, but sadly everything beyond that looks like a reach at this point.

I added the stretch goals to the OP. As I said earlier, I think every single one of them is really significant (to an extent that I don't think was the case with most recent kickstarters), so I really hope that many of them are met. I'm pretty positive on the 650k goal considering the current trend, but sadly everything beyond that looks like a reach at this point.

Can't say I care about the home, although I haven't read much about it. Everything else is brilliant.

Yeah, I agree, the home is the least interesting. It's still better than "200% more gameplay" though :p

Agreed.

They should do a Weresheep mega dungeon.

Edit: Today has been a pretty decent day for this kickstarter, maybe the news that it reached its goal has convinced fence-sitters.

Zukuu

Banned
Agreed.

They should do a Weresheep mega dungeon.

Edit: Today has been a pretty decent day for this kickstarter, maybe the news that it reached its goal has convinced fence-sitters.
It just isn't outshined by the other projects anymore.^^
We they get a bit media coverage in the next weeks this could hit the million with the last push. I feel that they should emphasize how close this project is to release when interviewed. You can almost see it as preordering for a vastly reduced priced and helping to increase the gameplay at this point.

It just isn't outshined by the other projects anymore.^^
We they get a bit media coverage in the next weeks this could hit the million with the last push. I feel that they should emphasize how close this project is to release when interviewed. You can almost see it as preordering for a vastly reduced priced and helping to increase the gameplay at this point.

Next week Bioware will launch a Baldur's Gate 3 kickstarter to troll Larian :p

I feel a bit like a shill with this avatar, but I can't deny the charisma of sheep.

coopolon

Is there any way to know how much they are making out of paypal? I guess we can always hope there are big numbers there.

Durante

At the very least I hope we can have unique companions instead of generic henchmen.
Yeah, I'd be very happy if we reach that one, it's my favourite out of all the stretch goals. It's also just at the limit of feasibility in terms of funding. It would basically require the kickstarter to gather as much in the second half as it did in the first, which normally never happens. However, in this particular case the KS wasn't nearly as frontloaded as other recent projects were, so maybe there is some hope.

ZoddGutts

The Kickstarter has gotten a shout out by Obsidian on their Facebook page:

4r4txI9.png

https://www.facebook.com/obsidian

Eusis

Ha, not really surprised a negative post on Shroud of the Avatar popped up. But still promising times are ahead, WRPGs picked up the slack of JRPGs for me for awhile there a few years back, but these kinds of games practically vanished and so I was starting to get more disillusioned with WRPGs than I was JRPGs, but thanks to Kickstarter and CDProjekt Red that's been salvaged some.

(Then again this disillusionment is basically disillusionment with Bioware, Bethesda would be Bethesda and Obsidian had some issues with practically no one else out there, but Obsidian seems to be getting just what they need here.)

ZoddGutts

If you guys haven't notice. They've updated the thumbnail for the KS vid. The female character is now wearing more armor.

Durante

The always awesome Matt Chat has a big interview up with Divinity's lead designer Sven Vincke.
I just finished watching this (it's long!) and it may be my favorite developer interview ever. Sven Vincke seems incredibly genuine, and he's very frank about their goals, past games, mistakes and "personality" as a developer. Even going as far as to state that one reason they are not making controller support a stretch goal is that they believe it wouldn't resonate well with the "kickstarter crowd" (I agree with that assessment).

He also gave a really good answer to the idea of getting (book) authors to work on parts of a game, and the issues that may cause.

Really, I don't think anyone who is an old-school PC gamer can watch this interview and not want to pledge on the project.

Eusis

If you guys haven't notice. They've updated the thumbnail for the KS vid. The female character is now wearing more armor.
I do hope that was mainly from backer/consumer feedback. It was ridiculous, but I'd prefer if it was more out of a sense of self awareness and for (potential?) fans than obligation to some sort of board or whatever.
Really, I don't think anyone who is an old-school PC gamer can watch this interview and not want to pledge on the project.
Possibly doubly so for people fascinated with older RPGs but unable to get themselves into them, I gotta have stuff like being able to see explanations of functions in-game and stat comparisons.

Although I do wonder about controller support. I think it'd really depend on how if at all it'd compromise development and how they'd put it in, you probably CAN make a game like this play well that way and it'd be a break from using kb/m, but if it hinders their intended design at all or takes away too much time and effort then better to pass on it entirely. Unless this is simply from the idea of making controller support a stretch goal which... yeah, either you're not going to want it, or you'll consider it something that shouldn't need that kind of backing to put in, if not both.

I just finished watching this (it's long!) and it may be my favorite developer interview ever. Sven Vincke seems incredibly genuine, and he's very frank about their goals, past games, mistakes and "personality" as a developer. Even going as far as to state that one reason they are not making controller support a stretch goal is that they believe it wouldn't resonate well with the "kickstarter crowd" (I agree with that assessment).

He also gave a really good answer to the idea of getting (book) authors to work on parts of a game, and the issues that may cause.

It's a better pitch than their pitch video.

Anno

Great day so far! If we can sustain momentum close to this, plus a little kick-in from PayPal folks there might be a shot at the $800k mark. I stand ready to increase my pledge to make it so!

Durante

I mean that from an "old-school pc gamer" point of view. When I watched that the feeling that I had was "these guys get it" and I increased my pledge as a result :p
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I had to stop myself from upgrading to the cloth map tier (I've spent far too much on kickstarters lately). I may still upgrade though.

Zukuu

Banned
Man, after seeing all those great kickstarters lately, the past 10 years or so kinda felt like a drought in retrospective.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just grabbed Divine Divinity from GOG.

How do you set the resolution and widescreen options? I don't see them anywhere...

Minsc

Gold Member
I just grabbed Divine Divinity from GOG.

How do you set the resolution and widescreen options? I don't see them anywhere...

It's been a while, but you set them somehow prior to launching, perhaps a configuration tool in the installation folder. Also using very high resolution could cause slowdown (aside from making stuff too small), I think I settled on 720p to maintain a good framerate.

Dawg

I'm going to the Larian HQ next week so if anyone has a question they'd like answered, feel free to quote this post/PM me and I will (try and) ask your question to the team.

I intend to give my extra copy away here when the time comes :)

I'm going to the Larian HQ next week so if anyone has a question they'd like answered, feel free to quote this post/PM me and I will (try and) ask your question to the team.

Ask them about the WereSheep.

dude

dude
Couldn't they fix her boob armor while they were at it? :p

So, guys, I'm in a dilemma. I think this game looks interesting and I'm thinking of backing it, but I really didn't like Divine Divinity (didn't play the next one). How similar is it going to be?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Couldn't they fix her boob armor while they were at it? :p

So, guys, I'm in a dilemma. I think this game looks interesting and I'm thinking of backing it, but I really didn't like Divine Divinity (didn't play the next one). How similar is it going to be?

It looks very different from either. The OG was a big RPG with Diablo combat/loot. The second one was... a thing... that sucked. This is a big RPG with turn based combat, kind of like Temple of Elemental Evil.

Top Bottom