• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Burt

No. The game makes a conscious choice to sacrifice what you call "plot gravitas" for real freedom. There are already more than enough games on the market which consist primarily of "hard locks", and very few with a freeform structure like OS. I see no reason to further increase the number of titles in the former set while diminishing the latter.
Because killing some dude you've never heard of named Mangoth before ever going to Hiberheim then going back and trudging through level 12s is stupid. Because getting Leandra's blood before meeting her or even having Icara tell you who she is stupid. Because killing Braccus without knowing who some of the cronies with him are takes away from the encounter, and is stupid.

And so on and so forth. Granted, some of those offenses (and the many others) are more serious than others, and I'm all for restraint in it. But while you can say they made a conscious decision to make a sacrifice for "real freedom", I doubt it was their intention to cut the story they likely worked equally as hard on to ribbons. There's no reason there can't be parallel progressing quest lines, but for certain encounters you shouldn't be able to stumble into the den of ultimate evil and badassery when you've only just heard of it for the first time in the room before.

Durante

It may not have been their intention to cut the story to ribbons. It certainly was their intention to allow you to do so. If there's one thing that's apparent when playing OS, it's that maximizing player agency was their primary goal.

Dennis

Banned
I feel like a failure as a gamer because I backed this for $60 backed cannot for the life of me find the time to play even though I am pretty sure i would enjoy it.

Shahadan

Because killing some dude you've never heard of named Mangoth before ever going to Hiberheim then going back and trudging through level 12s is stupid. Because getting Leandra's blood before meeting her or even having Icara tell you who she is stupid. Because killing Braccus without knowing who some of the cronies with him are takes away from the encounter, and is stupid.

And so on and so forth. Granted, some of those offenses (and the many others) are more serious than others, and I'm all for restraint in it. But while you can say they made a conscious decision to make a sacrifice for "real freedom", I doubt it was their intention to cut the story they likely worked equally as hard on to ribbons. There's no reason there can't be parallel progressing quest lines, but for certain encounters you shouldn't be able to stumble into the den of ultimate evil and badassery when you've only just heard of it for the first time in the room before.

Nothing in the game forces you to do things out of order. It's your choice. If you pay attention you know you're doing things out of order or not. Hell, the enemies level alone tells you so.
If for example you went to Sacred Stone before the White Witch Cabin, it's your problem and your choice. It was obviously the "wrong" way to do it, but it's possible, and it's great.

Venfayth

I just got to the second 'zone'

foresty place

I'm kinda regretting some of my stat choices and whatnot. My main character is a pretty brutal warrior but I took the Lone Wolf perk and I want to get rid of it.

I'm thinking of rerolling. Is there any way to re-distribute stats and perks and whatnot?

Has anyone else rerolled and had fun with it? I'm kinda dreading doing everything again and worried it will be boring.

Zeliard

Nothing in the game forces you to do things out of order. It's your choice. If you pay attention you know you're doing things out of order or not. Hell, the enemies level alone tells you so.
If for example you went to Sacred Stone before the White Witch Cabin, it's your problem and your choice. It was obviously the "wrong" way to do it, but it's possible, and it's great.

Yeah in Cyseal I faced and beat
Braccus and his three cronies prior to ever seeing those three individually elsewhere on the map. I essentially beat the three mini-bosses again after I had already killed them in the big fight.

Bit goofy from a story standpoint, sure, but I'm glad there's that sort of freedom.

It may not have been their intention to cut the story to ribbons. It certainly was their intention to allow you to do so. If there's one thing that's apparent when playing OS, it's that maximizing player agency was their primary goal.

I like it.

Makes walking around exploring and talking very worthwhile, even if you do sometimes see things before you should.

Dario ff

Banned
I find myself in a weird spot in these conversations. On one hand I used to be big into min/maxing loot/stats in Diablo 2, but I don't find myself compelled to do that in this game like the people with complaints about constant rerolls/item drops do. If I get shitty loot or awesome loot I just go with it. If I screwed up on my skill spending or not getting the skillbooks I might want, I just go with it as well. The constant experimentation with all the game offers you is really fun, and I believe that anyone that concerns themselves too much with the loot is spoiling the game for themselves. I don't have a most "efficient" way of doing the enemy encounters yet, since the enviroment and the enemy AI tends to keep you on your toes about how to beat them. And that's really fun so far.

Maybe Larian needs to just generate random seeds for everything at the start of the game and keep them on the Savefiles. :p

epmode

Maybe Larian needs to just generate random seeds for everything at the start of the game and keep them on the Savefiles. :p

While I'd still prefer Baldur's Gate 2's loot style, this would be far better than the current easily exploitable method.

Burt

I'll agree to disagree then. I'm not a fan of someone giving me a perilous quest of existential importance then the next word out of their mouth being "Congratulations on solving the perilous quest of existential importance!" while I have to play dumb and pretend things happened in order while the game implicitly tells me I fucked up through no fault of my own, or people standing around for hours like it's all sunshine and rainbows while
massive fireballs from the manifestation of nothingness rain down around them
. Providing the open environment that they have is commendable, but it's not without its faults.

I'm not going to blame players for breaking the story and potentially hurting their experience when they never made a conscious decision to do it and were instead led there by the design of the game itself. I think the root of the problem is the intersection of quests over the main storyline. If you look at a games like Baldur's Gate, they provided incredibly open worlds but never (maybe very rarely) ran into these issues because the main quests were their own, and the rest of your free form adventures through their open worlds wouldn't push it forward piecemeal. The lines get muddied over multiple parallel quests here though, and seeing the story as it was meant to be seen is as much luck as it is intuition.

Shahadan

Braccus and his three cronies prior to ever seeing those three individually elsewhere on the map. I essentially beat the three mini-bosses again after I had already killed them in the big fight.

Bit goofy from a story standpoint, sure, but I'm glad there's that sort of freedom.

I really like this example more than the examples in Act2, because those henchmen could have just been nobodies summoned by the boss like there are so many in the history of rpg, but you have actually the possibility to meet them elsewhere and learn who they are and why he summons them. They're not really story material either, and the fact that you can still beat them outside after the boss battle is another great thing imo.

I beat them before the boss, and one of my friend beat two of them after, and he was glad to meet them again. We had two different experiences and we were happy with both.
Also the fact that they are undead (and that some npcs mentionned they're never truly dead) works well with that.

Levyne

Banned
The discussions about the the obfusication of the "quest path" as well as the randomization of loot is so interesting. The loot aspect I've never found myself bothered by. You meet so many vendors and encounter drops that I find it hard to believe people are finding themselves absolutely screwed when it comes to game progression. Hell, my Jahan only recently upgraded his staff from the starter at level ~14 because I both wasn't careful enough to make sure to buy one for him and also was unlucky getting anything for him. The fact that you can craft skill books from scrolls (and I don't know about you, but I'm getting many many scrolls/blank books or ways to make them) that most of my characters have spell books sitting in their inventory waiting in order to be the appropriate level (I had 2 or o level 18 books sitting since my characters were level 9 or 10).

As for an open quest path, it been frustrating at times, and silly at others (I just defeated
Mangoth and NOW am going through the initiation
><) which makes the story beats a little silly but the degree of freedom is refreshing. I can see arguments for a slight push towards a little more direction but, as been said, there's so many other games that will give you that direction so getting into a title that doesn't tell or show you where to go is pretty neat.

Shahadan

The discussions about the the obfusication of the "quest path" as well as the randomization of loot is so interesting.

I find it rather boring personally :lol:
Not to offend anyone but both these matters appear to me as personal preferences and personal definition of an "ideal" experience, and are definitely not something wrong with the game itself.

You can probably beat the game wearing only white loot since bonus stats are not in the dozens (and are just that, a bonus) so the loot randomization is not disturbing your progression.
You can also beat the quests out of order and it's both refreshing and useful (especially for players who don't care about story or are in their second playthrough), and more than anything it doesn't lead to being stuck or unable to complete something. (aside from Frederick's quest maybe?)

So to me it really sounds as a discussion around "I want this and not that!" and "I don't like that but I like this!".
I have no real problem with the game because it's smartly designed around those things and it works well with and within them, and to me it's way more important than my personal preferences.

Dolor

I did this too.

Paches

I feel like a failure as a gamer because I backed this for $60 backed cannot for the life of me find the time to play even though I am pretty sure i would enjoy it.

You should feel happy. You helped enable me to play it because I had to buy it at retail!

Mod/patch wish list:
  1. The game needs SOME hard locks when it comes to questing - It's too easy to do things out of order and break both the difficulty curve and the logic of the story. Stumbling into an Act boss before its lead-ins is too common, and results in the end boss being too difficult and lacking plot gravitas, and then going back to polish off the quests that you missed is entirely underwhelming and lacks any real value other than the urge to mop up all the experience you can. Not only that, but it also leads to a problem in knowing if the extreme challenge in your face is meant to be a soft lock diverting you elsewhere, or just a tough battle. Flame away.

Flame away.
lol

I agree with you, while I did like the early game, I really felt the pace could have been handled better, small thing which would lead you to possible fight encounter.
If you know the game you know immediatly that you can fight a little outside of the town by leaving West, or use a shovel in the cemetery. But on a first playthrough you will most likely spend a few hour in the city before you do any of those things.

The start of the game really felt like "2 small battle => few hours in the city => many fight to do outside".It really felt like the murder investigation could have used a few reason ( not mandatory ) to make us go outside.

Yeah for instance
they could have had you venture outside, but close to town to find the murder weapon.

Eternia

I found the loot a bit frustrating, maybe it was partly the way they distributed the stats. Good boots, bracers, rings and belts seemed hard to come by. Most of the junk had similar stats and did very little to differentiate themselves. My best boot is probably a legendary level 5 item I found at level 15 while doing some earlier quests. I had lulls with one-handed weapons so I ended up switching my tanky Knight to a two-handed late because of the abundance of two-handed weapons I kept finding (and he felt useless otherwise). Phoenix Dive was some mysterious skill I had no idea what it was until level 18. I also killed that guy in Luculla
the Goblin trader
which I assume reduced one of my key vendors. Further impacting my chances, I opened up the shop in homestead effectively at the end of the game.

I wouldn't mind a bit more pre-determined drops or better itemization. The swings felt too hard from utterly useless to the best thing ever with not much in-between I suppose.

Zeliard

I find myself in a weird spot in these conversations. On one hand I used to be big into min/maxing loot/stats in Diablo 2, but I don't find myself compelled to do that in this game like the people with complaints about constant rerolls/item drops do. If I get shitty loot or awesome loot I just go with it. If I screwed up on my skill spending or not getting the skillbooks I might want, I just go with it as well. The constant experimentation with all the game offers you is really fun, and I believe that anyone that concerns themselves too much with the loot is spoiling the game for themselves.

I've long considered strict min-maxing/powergaming to be totally antithetical to the way I like to play games and frankly prefer it when devs just ignore those sorts of players entirely (one of the many reasons I'm looking forward to Pillars of Eternity).

I would have liked a mix of set and randomized loot here, as there is something to be said for ensuring you get something awesome when you beat a particularly tough encounter (and it would also more heavily reward facing high-level encounters early), but I look at the people who feel some burning need to reload their games till they get specific gear with specific rolls with some amusement.

There's enough tactical freedom and depth in the game that you can get by using whatever tools you have at your disposal at any given time. Holding some deep concern about what gear you're wearing or precisely where you've placed every individual skill and attribute point is really giving the game short shrift in that area. Will certain pieces of gear or skillbooks make battles easier? Of course; if they didn't, they'd be worthless. But they aren't required. Play smart and be creative and you can get by, even if it's tougher than it might otherwise be. There hasn't been a single battle yet where I've felt remotely disadvantaged based on what my party makeup was currently like - all the while building my party up with whatever the game chooses to give me - and I've been playing on Hard and consistently facing most enemies including bosses at lower levels than them.

Some players should have more faith in their own tactical abilities and whatever combination of skills they may have to get them by instead of considering it an abject failure if some combat encounters are actually lengthy and difficult. It doesn't always have to be a cakewalk. Just go with the flow; you might surprise yourself.

Zakalwe

Banned
I know the music is great, but can we get a call out to the sound design too please?

The metallic thunk of a 2 handed Axe blow, the gloomy synth rumble of Bless, the little drum fill when you down an enemy... almost every action in this game has a satisfying sound behind it.

Yasae

Banned
I find it rather boring personally :lol:
Not to offend anyone but both these matters appear to me as personal preferences and personal definition of an "ideal" experience, and are definitely not something wrong with the game itself.

You can probably beat the game wearing only white loot since bonus stats are not in the dozens (and are just that, a bonus) so the loot randomization is not disturbing your progression.
You can also beat the quests out of order and it's both refreshing and useful (especially for players who don't care about story or are in their second playthrough), and more than anything it doesn't lead to being stuck or unable to complete something. (aside from Frederick's quest maybe?)

So to me it really sounds as a discussion around "I want this and not that!" and "I don't like that but I like this!".
I have no real problem with the game because it's smartly designed around those things and it works well with and within them, and to me it's way more important than my personal preferences.
The loot to me sounds like a legitimate negative to this game's absolutely overflowing positives. I mean, out of Divinity's nearly 1200 user reviews on Steam, only about 100 are negative (and most of the reviews and/or criticisms aren't that great as you'd expect). Let people have their piece. The game's superb but it's not perfect.

Serra

So Eurogamer put a review out. They say "the second player can't generate their own character, even when starting a new game"

What? You totally can. How could the reviewer even fuck that up.

Zakalwe

Banned
So Eurogamer put a review out. They say "the second player can't generate their own character, even when starting a new game"

What? You totally can. How could the reviewer even fuck that up.

Eh, it's not that bad an oversight. The guy already responded to my comment saying he'd only tried inviting (I think you need to host/join to be able to both be in the character creator).

Easily missed.

Hiberheim location and fight mild spoiler:

You know I went to the forge before entering the castle via the way the bunny shows you. I fought the four demons the conduit sicks on you and I don't remember them dropping a spell. Not a big deal since I'm passed it now anyway and the bunny method is absolutely great. At first I thought one of the immaculate would drop it so after I talked them all down I put all of them to the sword.

Eh, it's not that bad an oversight. The guy already responded to my comment saying he'd only tried inviting (I think you need to host/join to be able to both be in the character creator).

Easily missed.

I used Steam's invite to game feature and my co-op partner joined right into the character creation screen and was able to make their character. I selected the 'Multiplayer' option when I started my new game so maybe that makes a difference.

Shahadan

The loot to me sounds like a legitimate negative to this game's absolutely overflowing positives. I mean, out of Divinity's nearly 1200 user reviews on Steam, only about 100 are negative (and most of the reviews and/or criticisms aren't that great as you'd expect). Let people have their piece. The game's superb but it's not perfect.

I'm not saying people should shut up or anything. My point is, loot hasn't to be "fixed" because it's not a problem, it's something people can dislike of course, but it's not inherently a flaw because the game is balanced around it. And changing that could seriously have negative consequences.
Unless by "fixed" people mean slight modifications like for example not finding lvl1 loremaster shit at lvl 14.

I'd like to hear more often about some real problems like how you're in a weird place if you don't take Blacksmithing when tenebrium becomes more of less mandatory, or how near invulnerable you can be by the end.

Eternia

I'd like to hear more often about some real problems like how you're in a weird place if you don't take Blacksmithing when tenebrium becomes more of less mandatory, or how near invulnerable you can be by the end.
How was it required? I did not use any at all outside a slightly enchanted dagger for one quest essentially. I was also nowhere near invulnerable. :p

Durante

A subjective negative, sure, but not an objective one (as evidenced by the discussion in this thread).

It's a perfectly valid point of view, but I think such design preferences should be recognized as such in the discussion. Unlike, say, the frequency of the NPC background voice chatter pre-patch, which I think everyone can agree was just bad.

Shahadan

How was it required? I did not use any at all. I was also nowhere near invulnerable. :p

Well it does a noticeable amount of bonus damage and since everything revolves around it I feel the player can be naturally compelled to seek it. Also where I am in the game regular loot is less interesting compared to tenebrium, feels weird.
Also aren't there demons only vulnerable to it? I'm trying to complete old quests at the moment but I seemed to understand I needed it for those. Maybe I'm wrong on that front :p

Tain

I'm still not very far into this (co-op schedule) but I do wish the autosaves were better-handled. It's pretty much a genre-wide issue, though, so I expected it going in.

Zukuu

Banned
Tenebrium is poorly implemented. I concur that it should be made available later, and that you need a TALENT to not get infected by rot, but it shouldn't be an ABILITY. It's utterly useless that way, unless you spend another 15 points into it. When I had first access to it, I was bummed out to see that adding Tenebrium to a weapon makes it lose the bonus from the associated ability of that weapon type. I had 2h +7 (base 5 +2 from gear) and Tenebrium enchant added like 30 more damage than a normal element enchant, but I lost over 200 damage since I only got a 10% boost from the point in tenebrium. It should just be another element, and NOT an own offensive weapon type. Like I said, make it a TALENT and everything would be fine.

Durante

I can't join the Tenebrium discussion because after 21 hours I'm still in Cyseal and have no idea what it is.

I'm still not very far into this (co-op schedule) but I do wish the autosaves were better-handled. It's pretty much a genre-wide issue, though, so I expected it going in.
Press F5. This is a cRPG. Your arcade sensibilities need not apply :p

Burt

Tenebrium is poorly implemented. I concur that it should be made available later, and that you need a TALENT to not get infected by rot, but it shouldn't be an ABILITY. It's utterly useless that way, unless you spend another 15 points into it. When I had first access to it, I was bummed out to see that adding Tenebrium to a weapon makes it lose the bonus from the associated ability of that weapon type. I had 2h +7 (base 5 +2 from gear) and Tenebrium enchant added like 30 more damage than a normal element enchant, but I lost over 200 damage since I only got a 10% boost from the point in tenebrium. It should just be another element, and NOT an own offensive weapon type. Like I said, make it a TALENT and everything would be fine.
So you can spec 5 points in tenebrium and be equally good with 1h or 2h? Interesting. I'm assuming they made it separate so that it wouldn't be additive with the other skills for too much damage. But yes, sounds like a one-off free talent would work better.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea I agree with this. It's kind of ridiculous that because my 2 handed sword is made out of this different metal it completely ignores my existing mastery of 2 handed weapons.

Kinthalis

Banned
This game is near perfect.

12 hours in and only ventured into the unforgiving environs of Cyseal a couple of times, returned with a couple of levels and some loot for my troubles :)

Combat is an uncaring bitch who doesn't care about your carefully drafted plans and will mess with them every single time to your detriment.

It is awesome.

About the only thing that bugs me a lot is inventory management. It is entirely too cumbersome. Separate gold piles? Quickbar doesn't change when scrolling through party members? Can't barter with more than a character at a time? What skill does this spellbook require? The fuck knows. Can't tell what books I've read at a glance, making trading and sorting a pain. Quick sorting is a cold mistress who giveth by showing you only X and then taketh away by not showing you item related to X.

But that's pretty much it in terms of bad. I'm hoping they revamp the inventory and loot management, as well as the barter screens.

Can't wait to get home and play more!

Moondrop

Banned
I love this game, and I haven't even done anything particularly memorable. I'm kind of stalled in my quests, but I don't care, I'll figure them out eventually. What matters is that this is a game I can "casually RP"- define my character broadly from the get-go rather than painstaking min-max progression, and then just play the game focusing on the story and characters. Hell, one of my protagonists is almost a non-combatant: a wayfarer-variant with specialties in personality, crafting, telekinesis, talking to animals...

Eternia

Well it does a noticeable amount of bonus damage and since everything revolves around it I feel the player can be naturally compelled to seek it. Also where I am in the game regular loot is less interesting compared to tenebrium, feels weird.
Also aren't there demons only vulnerable to it? I'm trying to complete old quests at the moment but I seemed to understand I needed it for those. Maybe I'm wrong on that front :p
Hmm, now that I think about it, you do need it to complete that one quest but now I'm unsure if that quest is absolutely required to complete the game. One would assume you do with the implications of what was happening. You probably don't need blacksmithing though since you can always either buy or pick up the one of many weapons that are lying around in various places.

For that mission you're probably referring to,
I stealthed through the void part to get to the bloodstone
as advised by someone in this thread. :p

Tain

Press F5. This is a cRPG. Your arcade sensibilities need not apply :p

lol, yeah, it's just been a while since I've played a game so completely designed around it! My co-op partner doesn't care about any of this stuff so I figure I'll never save in combat and try not to roll back any non-combat decisions and let that be that.

Yasae

Banned
I'm not saying people should shut up or anything. My point is, loot hasn't to be "fixed" because it's not a problem, it's something people can dislike of course, but it's not inherently a flaw because the game is balanced around it. And changing that could seriously have negative consequences.
Unless by "fixed" people mean slight modifications like for example not finding lvl1 loremaster shit at lvl 14.

A subjective negative, sure, but not an objective one (as evidenced by the discussion in this thread).

It's a perfectly valid point of view, but I think such design preferences should be recognized as such in the discussion. Unlike, say, the frequency of the NPC background voice chatter pre-patch, which I think everyone can agree was just bad.
I actually can give some examples.

I've never been able to make a bow in 30 hours of play. Why? I've only come across one sinew. That's it. Nobody sells it. I haven't found anymore after plundering every crate and barrel I've come across.

Now again, I can't complain too much because the bow I have equipped is fine, but.... I did save scum with one of the merchants in Cyseal (fletcher? enchantress?) and she went from selling sinew to out of stock upon leveling. Unfortunately I didn't grab any the first time, went out and leveled up, saved near the merchant and saw they had no sinew. Reloaded and still nothing. Needles were also nearly impossible to find.

I mean it's one thing if the item is supposed to be rare, but this isn't the way to do it. It doesn't make sense lore-wise - so that doesn't excuse it away. It makes my playthrough unique..... In the fact that I couldn't find utilitarian crafting items. There's no real in game economy or trade.

So the point is what?

All of this rigamarole for simple, basic things is crazy.

erragal

Thanks for spoilering the game. This is why we can't have nice things.

I just encountered a very odd tree in Phantom Forest.

I fucking love Larian Studios. When I saw "What can change the nature of a man? Whatever you believe in, can change it!", I laughed and applauded.

I have no idea how this weird-ass amalgamation of quotes and messages made it into the game, but the fact that it exists and that Larian decided it was worth the time and money to implement it makes me so very happy.

I just encountered a very odd tree in Phantom Forest.

I fucking love Larian Studios. When I saw "What can change the nature of a man? Whatever you believe in, can change it!", I laughed and applauded.

I have no idea how this weird-ass amalgamation of quotes and messages made it into the game, but the fact that it exists and that Larian decided it was worth the time and money to implement it makes me so very happy.

It's the Kickstarter Tree. It's all the backers at the Tree Tier.

Most messages are hilarious, but some are downright pretentious.

Top Bottom