• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Yasae

Banned
Larian mounted one of its largest-ever quality assurance testing phases on Original Sin, but much of that work was done voluntarily by Kickstarter backers and Early Access players. This side benefit of public development was what made it possible for Larian to ship Original Sin, though they made a few mistakes along the way.

For example, Larian initially required Kickstarter backers to pay more for the privilege of accessing alpha or beta versions of Original Sin -- a common crowdfunding tactic -- then instantly regretted it when it came time to start checking for bugs.

"After we finished the Kickstarter and started working we realized that was the most stupid thing we’ve ever done," says Vincke. "We had like 20,000 people who were willing to play this game and would probably give us the feedback we needed to test all the various gameplay permutations."

Larian wound up giving alpha and beta keys to everyone who backed the game on Kickstarter, offering refunds to any backers who paid for the privilege.

"It was a huge QA operation -- almost 70,000 testers -- but we didn’t have to spend as much money as we would have had to do otherwise, say if we had a traditional business arrangement with a publisher," says Vincke.
Part of me likes this approach because it helps keep the game from being developed in a vacuum, potentially... Another part of me thinks this is exploitative.... Another part of me thinks this is dangerous with a weak-willed developer. It also didn't prevent some of the more obvious bad design choices, like the unruly randomization of loot and huge fluctuations in vendor inventory.

It is a stark contrast with AAA development where money - even in spite of customer rapport - is king.

Ourobolus

Banned
Quick question - I kinda want to try an Archer for a different playthrough later. Are arrows infinite, or do you need to craft just one of each type to use them as much as you want?

Or are regular attacks just infinite, with one-shot elemental arrows?

Leezard

Quick question - I kinda want to try an Archer for a different playthrough later. Are arrows infinite, or do you need to craft just one of each type to use them as much as you want?

Or are regular attacks just infinite, with one-shot elemental arrows?

This.

epmode

Part of me likes this approach because it helps keep the game from being developed in a vacuum, potentially... Another part of me thinks this is exploitative.... Another part of me thinks this is dangerous with a weak-willed developer. It also didn't prevent some of the more obvious bad design choices, like the unruly randomization of loot and huge fluctuations in vendor inventory.

Vendor and loot randomization were in Divinity 2 as well. Might have been in Divine Divinity, can't remember. It's in line with pen and paper AD&D which is basically what they were going for with Original Sin. So I have a feeling that Larian likes the mechanic and they're not keen on changing it up.

I wish they'd reconsider.

36-hours in now.. making some sweet progress in Act 2. Currently in the middle of the
faery realm
which has some awesome environments and loot.. kind of struggling to figure out how to cure rot on one of my party members though.;_;

Use
bloodstone, so far that's the only way I could find.

Ourobolus

Banned
Do remember though that the bow you're using will take durability loss for each shot.

Well, isn't that the case for pretty much any weapon? Or are bows particularly quick to degrade?

Vendor and loot randomization were in Divinity 2 as well. Might have been in Divine Divinity, can't remember. It's in line with pen and paper AD&D which is basically what they were going for with Original Sin. So I have a feeling that Larian likes the mechanic and they're not keen on changing it up.

I wish they'd reconsider.

I've been playing this on my laptop when I'm watching the World Cup, and yeah, it's randomized as well.

It is a stark contrast with AAA development where money - even in spite of customer rapport - is king.

Exploitative? No one was forced to do any testing or even report bugs. It's entirely volunteer based.

Personally, I think it's a lot more exploitative to release a super buggy triple A game on the market and charge $60 for it, then start patching it half-heartedly. You know, like Skyrim PS3 for example.

What am I doing wrong?

Im getting my ass HANDED to me. Im just trying to complete the
murder mystery
(first) quest, and it SEEMS like
i just have to leave town out the west and kill some zombies.

I seem incredibly underleveled for every fight i get in.

TheContact

What am I doing wrong?

Im getting my ass HANDED to me. Im just trying to complete the
murder mystery
(first) quest, and it SEEMS like
i just have to leave town out the west and kill some zombies.

I seem incredibly underleveled for every fight i get in.

Have you
grabbed the 2 extra party members from town?
That should help you out

marrec

Banned
Well, isn't that the case for pretty much any weapon? Or are bows particularly quick to degrade?

Degrades just as fast (if not slower) but it's easy to forget that the Bow has durability when you aren't having to pay attention to arrows.

Well it was easy for me to forget anyway.

erragal

Those aren't bad design choices. Randomization ensures a personalized experience and adda diversity to available tactical options on each playthrough.

Plenty of people on the beta board whined about it too. It is a conscious choice that adds to the game, does not detract.

If they wanted fixed spell/skill access they would have added menu based skill selection on level up. It's certainly in the UI.

It's important to examine that no single skill can ever keep you from completing any encounter. If you go into thr game blind (actually roleplaying...you know the type of game this is) you wouldn't even know what skills you hadn't seen yet.

There are also fixed/quest skill books within the game as well that you can receive long after you've capped your ability points in that tree. Is it a 'bad' decision you couldn't access them immediately? No. The vendor seeding changes on level up and each vendor has very distinct seeds.

This obsession with zero randomization is a fucking strange phenomena. Have people really been babied this much? Randomization is what allows games to have emergent narrative; it creates diversity in details that give your specific story more flavor.

Try actually getting into the game and not trying to control everything. Try using the skills/resources you have instead of impatiently wanting something immediately. You will then be pushed into discovering more about the combat system and other options available.

Durante

I assume the point of the comment is to illustrate that they finally got to "remake that game" in the shape of D:OS but, reading between the lines, I can't help but wonder whether The Dark Eye might be the "mystery role-playing franchise" that Swen mentions to Eurogamer.
But does that really make sense?

I mean, is there much value in it for them making a Dark Eye game instead of another game set in the Divinity universe, which they fully control? I don't really see the value in it, it's not a widely popular franchise. And it's certainly not particularly original.

I say this as someone who played far too much PnP DSA in his teens and so actually has some emotional attachment to the franchise.

Sentenza

But does that really make sense?

I mean, is there much value in it for them making a Dark Eye game instead of another game set in the Divinity universe, which they fully control? I don't really see the value in it, it's not a widely popular franchise. And it's certainly not particularly original.

I say this as someone who played far too much PnP DSA in his teens and so actually has some emotional attachment to the franchise.
Well, regardless of how much sense it makes in our opinion, we know for a fact that they are trying to get a license.

I doubt it could be the Dark Eye simply because it doesn't really seem a license particularly hard to negotiate, judging by how many small developers already used it.
And frankly it isn't even that popular outside of Germany.

Well, regardless of how much sense it makes in our opinion, we know for a fact that they are trying to get a license.

I doubt it could be the Dark Eye simply because it doesn't really seem a license particularly hard to negotiate, judging by how many small developers already used it.
And frankly it isn't even that popular outside of Germany.

Would it be crazy to think that they might be going after Baldur's Gate or Ultima, the clear inspirations for this game?

epmode

Plenty of people on the beta board whined about it too.

This obsession with zero randomization is a fucking strange phenomena. Have people really been babied this much?

Try actually getting into the game and not trying to control everything.

If you want people to respond to your text dumps, perhaps you should be more diplomatic about it.

I don't think anyone is asking for zero randomization, by the way.

erragal

Is there a PnP system that has more mass market cachet than their own ip? It's on track to sell 500-700k lifetime.

We could say DnD...which would explain why he's so nebulous about it. That brand mismanagement is so atrocious we couldn't adequately delve into it. I don't think they're interested in licensing out old rulesets to game developers, and 5th edition may be successful but doesn't feel like it's following trends in the pnp community yet again.

d1rtn4p

Great game...Really enjoying it. I thought things fell apart a little for me at
Hiberheim
though. I was able to make my way with little guidance up to that point, and then it just seemed to open up to where I'd have no idea where to go without using a guide. I had a few quest questions though if anyone knows. Hints would be preferred to outright giving me the answer :)

I got the secret entrance to the prison, but in order to free the white witch, I guess I have to kill the king. How do I get past the barrier that's blocking the castle entrance?

Going back to Act 1, I chased the cultists down into the bottom of the old church, but there's a barrier blocking the entrance. It says it needs something "hexagonal"

To the west of of the starting town, you kill a zombie dog that's blocking a hatch down. When you go into the hatch, there's four pillars with switches that have the elements on them.

Much appreciated.

Shahadan

Great game...Really enjoying it. I thought things fell apart a little for me at
Hiberheim
though. I was able to make my way with little guidance up to that point, and then it just seemed to open up to where I'd have no idea where to go without using a guide. I had a few quest questions though if anyone knows. Hints would be preferred to outright giving me the answer :)

I got the secret entrance to the prison, but in order to free the white witch, I guess I have to kill the king. How do I get past the barrier that's blocking the castle entrance?

Going back to Act 1, I chased the cultists down into the bottom of the old church, but there's a barrier blocking the entrance. It says it needs something "hexagonal"

To the west of of the starting town, you kill a zombie dog that's blocking a hatch down. When you go into the hatch, there's four pillars with switches that have the elements on them.

Much appreciated.

Can't remember how to unlock the castle atm, so I'll answer the two others. I think you have to visit the forge of souls first, maybe?

For the church you need the amulet given after the Evelyn fight. It's dropped by Zombie Jake after he leaves. Put it on the pedestal.

As for the pillars, read the tombstone in front of them and think :p

Edit : Sorry skipped the fact that you preferred hints. Can't really hint anything for the second part, so I edited the third, maybe it's not too late :D

Sentenza

Would it be crazy to think that they might be going after Baldur's Gate or Ultima, the clear inspirations for this game?
I could easily see Swen wanting the Ultima license really badly, since he never tried to hide how much he loves it... I just fear it may be a bit out of their depth in terms of cost... And I may be a bit biased here but EA strikes me as the typical corporate entity that would keep a powerful franchise to rot, even completely unused, rather than giving it away for cheap.

TheContact

Weird, I killed a boss and it dropped a legendary 2h sword and some other items, I picked them all up but the sword is gone. All I did was walk a few feet to an NPC to identify it but it wasn't in my pack. Never happened before, I'm on the 'All' tab, and my inventory is very empty so it would be easy for me to find it. Checked all my chars etc.. /shrug

erragal

If you want people to respond to your text dumps, perhaps you should be more diplomatic about it.

I don't think anyone is asking for zero randomization, by the way.

They are. What is randomized besides the loot/skill books?

Maps are not. Encounters are fixed so they can actually be tuned (though engagement windows are up to the player most of the time).

It's the small details that are randomized so the big picture aspects can be thoroughly designed.

I'm not searching for responses. I'm analyzing a shortsighted opinion for what it is. Using detail to avoid misunderstandings. I am sorry your impatience leads you to find detailed, thorough explanations of position to be 'text dumps'. Another internet obsession: too many words is to be dissauded! We mustn't use too many words and when someone uses more than we can handle it's imperative to insult them for it!

Yet you also would chastise someone for diplomacy. There's nothing diplomatic about wanting people to explain themselves less. It's just a bullying method to try and shame someone into not expressing their point of view.

You didn't even explain what part of randomization would still be left. I had to do that for you. So you criticized me for being undiplomatic, were then insulting yourself, and failed to actually make a point of contention at all.

If you'd taken the time to think things through perhaps your content would have been better.

erragal

I could easily see Swen wanting the Ultima license really badly, since he never tried to hide how much he loves it... I just fear it may be a bit out of their depth in terms of cost... And I may be a bit biased here but EA strikes me as the typical corporate entity that would keep a powerful franchise to rot, even completely unused, rather than giving it away for cheap.

That's something I hadn't considered. I didn't follow the early parts of Shroud of the Avatar; did Garriott pay EA for the license or was it a gesture of good will?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I can't really see him fighting tooth & nail to get free of the corporate publisher structure only to shack up with EA after finally releasing a hit. I'm like 99% sure it's not Ultima.

My dream would be Rifts.

Sentenza

That's something I hadn't considered. I didn't follow the early parts of Shroud of the Avatar; did Garriott pay EA for the license or was it a gesture of good will?
Neither. It just uses a different (and yet very similar) setting.
There is a reason it's called Shroud of the Avatar rather than Ultima Something.

Zakalwe

Banned
I am sorry your impatience leads you to find detailed, thorough explanations of position to be 'text dumps'. .

I think it's actually more about your superior tone, that's what I imagine most are finding off-putting.

You make some good points, but you're not exactly presenting them well.

-

I honestly don't mind where Larian go next, it's clear that they have the potential to do great things. I honestly cannot remember a game that has had me so invested, that's acquired so much of my thought process. I wake up and think about this game, it's just that good.

Counting the hours at work hasn't been this painful for some time.

Moff

Ultima isnt really THAT much an interesting setting. another game (franchise) that was great because of gamepleay, not the setting. its basically another generic fantasy setting, just like black eye.

at that point, I really dont see a franchise that would be interesting enough to abandon their own. especially since divinity really seems to be as popular as ever now with original sin.

d1rtn4p

Can't remember how to unlock the castle atm, so I'll answer the two others. I think you have to visit the forge of souls first, maybe?

For the church you need the amulet given after the Evelyn fight. It's dropped by Zombie Jake after he leaves. Put it on the pedestal.

As for the pillars, read the tombstone in front of them and think :p

Edit : Sorry skipped the fact that you preferred hints. Can't really hint anything for the second part, so I edited the third, maybe it's not too late :D

Thanks for the reply!

Just googling about classic RPG's, came across Freedom Force, which seems to fit this model nicely. Imagine Larian making another Freedom Force game.

EDIT: Also, it could be Icewind Dale which fits the mold.

misho8723

Banned
Or if they would make a game form the Vampire: Masquerade (World of Darkness) world or Cthulhu ... although I think the best example of a proper use (and the right genre) of the Cthulhu licence is still going to be Call of Cthulhu: Dark Cornes of the Earth

erragal

What about the World of Darkness franchise?

Would that really be hard to acquire? CCP has done nothing with it and I don't think of them as a company that would play hardball over someone giving them free marketing. (And I just found they outright cancelled the mmo in April...)

But again does that have more value than their own IP right now? Especially amongst the gaming community. Divinity has a nearly weeklong best selling game on steam.

My unrealistic fantasy is Larian making a Malazan game. That would be a passion project and not a moneymaker, however.

Veezy

que?
So, I've finally settled on my two characters I'm playing though the long haul.

The first is my witch. Moved some points around so that he'll be able to handle fire and earth along with his witchcraft. He'll also be the main person doing the talking.

The other is my crafting Ranger with sticky fingers. She'll also be handling the trap detection. I'm considering down the road inventing in some magic or one handed and backstabbing, but it's still up in the air.

It's a solid mix the perfectly compliments the two main NPC tag alongs and each other.

Quick question, us lucky charm worth investing into?

Leezard

So, I've finally settled on my two characters I'm playing though the long haul.

The first is my witch. Moved some points around so that he'll be able to handle fire and earth along with his witchcraft. He'll also be the main person doing the talking.

The other is my crafting Ranger with sticky fingers. She'll also be handling the trap detection. I'm considering down the road inventing in some magic or one handed and backstabbing, but it's still up in the air.

It's a solid mix the perfectly compliments the two main NPC tag alongs and each other.

Quick question, us lucky charm worth investing into?

I invested a bit into lucky charm, but I don't think it was worth.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'd love to see a complex rpg like this with a sci-fi setting, actually. Or something that isn't so generic wizards and warriors.

Be a nice change.

Durante

You know what would be the best thing ever? A Discworld game by Larian.
Absolutely.

Though Divinity games are already much closer to Pratchett than Tolkien, unlike most fantasy RPGs. (Which I guess is part of the reason why some consider the writing "bad" -- needless to say I disagree)

huxley00

Wondering if anyone is playing a pure class specific run (i.e. warriors have only warrior type skills, no mage trees...mages have only mage spells, no fighter or hunter skills).

Just wondering what your impressions are, how hard the game is and if its fun or not....

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Wondering if anyone is playing a pure class specific run (i.e. warriors have only warrior type skills, no mage trees...mages have only mage spells, no fighter or hunter skills).

Just wondering what your impressions are, how hard the game is and if its fun or not....

My coop game is full of specialists, works fine.

Santiako

My two mages only know magic skills, my knight only knows man at arms skills and my ranger only knows marksman skills. Works great and I would do that again if I replayed it today.

Purchased and installed this last night. It looks pretty great and after getting SLI working it runs at a solid 60 fps maxed out (Even at 4k downsampled using GeDoSaTo!), but one thing that sticks out is the LoD distance. As you walk forward you can see a distinct line not too far in front of your character, and shadows/textures are low resolution on one side of it and high resolution on the other. Is there any remedy to this? I tried searching the thread but couldn't find anything.

Top Bottom