• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

nonadventurer

Neo Member
They would need to win 2, the Dragon Commander UI was also fantastic.

Some people
*cough* inXile *cough*
should really study it in detail.

Yeah, Wasteland 2 is alright, but the UI is just terrible. Especially the character creation - those skill and attribute icons just need to go, they're awful.

Klyka

Banned
Nothing is more fun than hearing my GF say "babe, i think I need help" teleporting back to her into town and immediately entering combat with 20+ guards because she "wanted to try out if you can kill and cook a chicken". (you can)

btw this game does not mess around. My character died from walking into fire/lava on the ground and then burned to death (he turned into a pile of ash too). My GF immediately used a revive scroll on me but it revives you ON THE SPOT. So my guys body gets put back together, he returns to life and....immediately fries to a crisp again XD

I did my part. I bought it on the first day of Steam sales. Played it for an hour and put it down. In the span of an hour the mechanics did enough to convince me that this'll be a good game. I can't wait to dive deep into the game once it officially releases.

RK9039

The thread is pretty much already his :p

Mh9GN11.png

Dammit, I want to be first place.

OmegaDL50

I am so tempted to install it but I'm concerned if the final build will have big enough changes my characters or saves won't be compatible.

I've been playing the original Divine Divinity to pass the time.

Klyka

Banned
I am so tempted to install it but I'm concerned if the final build will have big enough changes my characters or saves won't be compatible.

Your saves will 100% NOT be compatible. You CAN NOT use your saves from this betaAT ALL in the release.

Alright, I think it is time for a big, red warning at the top of the op:

**WARNING: DIVINITY: ORIGINAL SIN BETA SAVES ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE DIVINITY: ORIGINAL SIN FULL RELEASE.**

Durante

No chance.

(It's actually very smart of them to make abundantly clear from the start that saves will not be compatible during the beta. That allows them to change stuff which needs changing a lot more easily, and not worry about maintaining compatibility -- which could be a huge extra workload)

Noaloha

I'm struggling to think of a single decent CRPG where I didn't restart to a New Game after a couple of hours once I'd got a handle on the way skills/combat/items worked. Feel free to piss about in the beta and cause a little mayhem in the early game.

Sothpaw

Great OT Casimir! And I'm not just saying that because I was quoted heh.

Going to mess around with the rogue skills when I get home from work tonight.

Yeah, I'm waiting on the full version too. Backers are definitely getting new keys through the Larian Vault for the full release.

Also, do we know if kickstarter backers can still order the physical Kickstarter Limited Edition? I'd really like to have that.

Klyka

Banned
Because the beta saves don't work, I'm waiting for the full release to finally play it.

I can only advise you to at least play the tutorial dungeon at the start cause you can actually skip it if you want to in the release.
Playing around with the classes/talents before release is good fun and helps with your character creation

Santiako

Also, advice for everyone: when creating a character, edit at least one of them to include the talent Pet Pal, it is amazing.

Klyka

Banned
Also, advice for everyone: when creating a character, edit at least one of them to include the talent Pet Pal, it is amazing.

This can not be overstated,it is a fantastic talent and adds so much to the game I would almost call it mandatory.

Zukuu

Banned
I heard I can use my save from the beta for the final release? That's awesome!
thehehe :>. the wait is killing miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Played this back when the early access became available on steam. Really enjoyed what I saw. Can't wait for the full game to be available.

Zukuu

Banned
This can not be overstated,it is a fantastic talent and adds so much to the game I would almost call it mandatory.

Wait, what can you actually accomplish with Pet Pal? Talking to some chicken doesn't sound too useful. Also, is there ANYWHERE a list of all the skills / spells / traits and what they do? :(

Adnor

Banned
Played this back when the early access became available on steam. Really enjoyed what I saw. Can't wait for the full game to be available.

If you only tried it when the EA became available you'll be surprised at the amount of polish Larian did to the game.

Wait, what can you actually accomplish with Pet Pal? Talking to some chicken doesn't sound too useful. Also, is there ANYWHERE a list of all the skills / spells / traits and what they do? :(

Like humans, some animals are just not very smart, but other have seen things or can do things that humans can't!

Tain

I'll probably be playing this co-op when it comes out on the 30th.

How does saving work in this? Is it the usual unrestricted save-load anyhwere? No saving during combat, maybe? Are there smart autosaves?

Klyka

Banned

Well it lets you talk to animals. They can give you insights that humans sometimes can't. They can also give you/help you with quests. My GF talked to a rat in a cave and the rat told her where the hidden button for a huge stone door was.

@Tain You have autosaves, you can quicksave/load with F5/F9 and you can create normal saves. I am not 100% if you can save in combat, but I would guess you can.

Zukuu

Banned
Well it lets you talk to animals. They can give you insights that humans sometimes can't. They can also give you/hel you with quests. My GF talked to a rat in a cave and the rat told her where the kidden button for a huge stone door was.

This game... I might be inclined to go for some non-combat traits in this game. I usually never do that.

How useful is blacksmithing? I want to use it just for the sharpening feature that enhances weapon damage - is lvl 1 enough for all weapons or does it scale with item level?
Also, Spears / Halberds 1h or 2h?

Adnor

Banned
I'll probably be playing this co-op when it comes out on the 30th.

How does saving work in this? Is it the usual unrestricted save-load anyhwere? No saving during combat, maybe? Are there smart autosaves?

I haven't tried it, but for what I understand saving works exactly the same as single player, but just the host has the save games. The game has autosaves, and it will automatically rotate between 5 to 25 autosaves and 5 to 25 quicksaves. You can even make your single player playthrough into a multiplayer game.

Wait, what can you actually accomplish with Pet Pal? Talking to some chicken doesn't sound too useful.

Someone never played Neverwinter Nights as a druid, clearly!

Animals are around and notice things quite a bit, but people rarely notice them in return. You can get an awful lot of useful info from sources like that...

Also, is there ANYWHERE a list of all the skills / spells / traits and what they do? :(

We probably wont see anything like that compiled until well after release. Sorry mate, we're headed into unknown territory here.

Google

Just an FYI - I've had a few crashes on my Mac already without going more than 5 minutes into the game.

Three crashes in under 10 minutes.

1. Straight back to desktop.
2. Sound completely cut out.
3. Text and Graphics fucked up to the point that I couldn't see anything in game.

I think I'll wait until next week for the full release.

Sykotik

I played for four hours with a friend in co-op. Most surprising thing was that, at this point, the game is not combat heavy. We've been running around the first city/town talking to people, getting quests and exploring.

We didn't experience any bugs.

We discovered the ol' distraction technique.
Experienced the thrill of convincing an NPC via the debate mechanic, no round lost.
Blew ourselves up.
Stole from a cat, which proceeded to electrocute us in a pool of our blood.

The blood on the ground from our battle was used as a catalyst to electrocute us.

WHERE HAS THIS GAME BEEN MY ENTIRE LIFE!? AHHHHHHH!

Klyka

Banned
Guys, someone needs to test this right now cause I am at work and so can't:

I Was just told that if you are poisoned and then bleed on the ground, your blood will poison people who walk on it.

IS THIS TRUE????

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I Was just told that if you are poisoned and then bleed on the ground, your blood will poison people who walk on it.

IS THIS TRUE????

It certainly sounds like the kind of craziness this games elemental interaction system would produce.

I'm in a bit of a though decision situation now, guys. I played a bit of NWN2 with my brother a couple of months ago, and it was a great time, fun enough that now I'm thinking of not playing this game until he can play with me. But at the moment I don't know when that will be possible. Should I just play by myself or is Co-Op much more rewarding?

Klyka

Banned
I'm in a bit of a though decision situation now, guys. I played a bit of NWN2 with my brother a couple of months ago, and it was a great time, fun enough that now I'm thinking of not playing this game until he can play with me. But at the moment I don't know when that will be possible. Should I just play by myself or is Co-Op much more rewarding?

Co-Op is awesome but it is also a completely different beast compared to Sp because you are not 100% in control anymore. Your brother could mess up things for you, he could completely change the way that you approach and finish a quest compared to doing it by yourself.

i'd say if you have the patience, wait for co-op, but otherwise play the game by yourself and then replay it with him and watch the awesome replayability with suddenly not being in control anymore

Adnor

Banned

IS THIS TRUE????

Just tested it, it doesn't work. Maybe there was still poison in the ground that they didn't see and that's why they believed that?

Santiako

One of the bulls in the harbour is an accomplished clairvoyant, if that doesn't convince you I don't know what can.

VandalD

Pet Pal will probably be even more deceptively useful than Mind Read from Divinity 2. And Mind Read was pretty damn good.

Top Bottom