• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Durante

Yeah, even if mindread hadn't been useful (which it was), it would still have been easily worth it just because of sheer entertainment value.

Co-Op is awesome but it is also a completely different beast compared to Sp because you are not 100% in control anymore. Your brother could mess up things for you, he could completely change the way that you approach and finish a quest compared to doing it by yourself.

i'd say if you have the patience, wait for co-op, but otherwise play the game by yourself and then replay it with him and watch the awesome replayability with suddenly not being in control anymore

Thanks, I think I'll work on my backlog for a while.

Moff

pet pal, besides some special conversations, acts mainly as a hint system for puzzles or bosses or anything
there are rats everywhere and they always give good advice

Welp, you guys have sold me on "Pet Pal". Guess I'll end up customizing the builds now. I was planning on sticking with the default Knight & Wizard kits.

VandalD

Welp, you guys have sold me on "Pet Pal". Guess I'll end up customizing the builds now. I was planning on sticking with the default Knight & Wizard kits.
At least you only need it on one character. Unless there are co-op arguments with animals that require both to have it. I could see that happening. That'd be pretty great.

Zukuu

Banned
I've been playing again and, even though I usually prefer RTwP, the combat in this game is outstanding.

Now we have already two crazy maniacs with a deluded sense of taste. :p

I'm SO close to download the 6gb just for the character creation screen to see what I can chose, since no one is willing to put down a list. D:

Also, 4th time I'm asking this: Spears / Halberds: 1h or 2h. Str or Dex? Weren't they not in the beta available? Aren't they in?

Santiako

Now we have already two crazy maniacs with a deluded sense of taste. :p

I'm SO close to download the 6gb just for the character creation screen to see what I can chose, since no one is willing to put down a list. D:

Also, 4th time I'm asking this: Spears / Halberds: 1h or 2h. Str or Dex? Weren't they not in the beta available? Aren't they in?

I'm not in my computer now, but later I'll check about spears and halberds.

Gurvon

Neo Member
Great job on the OP and man the hype is rising for this one....the first time I laid my eyes on that kickstarter it was instant goodness for an old time pc gamer like me, can barely contain myself for the release! (and i've managed to keep my hands away from the beta as well)

Noaloha

They're 2-handed and, as of a recent update, STR-based. They went through some changes in beta. May still see some amendments come release.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Great job on the OP and man the hype is rising for this one....the first time I laid my eyes on that kickstarter it was instant goodness for an old time pc gamer like me, can barely contain myself for the release! (and i've managed to keep my hands away from the beta as well)

Yea I've somehow managed to not launch the early access at all, my willpower with these things is usually pretty poor.

Zukuu

Banned
They're 2-handed and, as of a recent update, STR-based. They went through some changes in beta. May still see some amendments come release.
Nice! I've read that Spears were dex based which made me worried to make a decent warrior build focusing on it. 2h is even better.

Sothpaw

In 7 days a PC exclusive, isometric, turn based, full party, tactical, full inventory management, crpg of excellent quality is being released.

It's been so long.

Gbraga

I played for four hours with a friend in co-op. Most surprising thing was that, at this point, the game is not combat heavy. We've been running around the first city/town talking to people, getting quests and exploring.

We didn't experience any bugs.

We discovered the ol' distraction technique.
Experienced the thrill of convincing an NPC via the debate mechanic, no round lost.
Blew ourselves up.
Stole from a cat, which proceeded to electrocute us in a pool of our blood.

The blood on the ground from our battle was used as a catalyst to electrocute us.

WHERE HAS THIS GAME BEEN MY ENTIRE LIFE!? AHHHHHHH!

http://zippy.gfycat.com/FixedWellinformedGannet.webm

slabrock

Banned
as a ks backer, will I have to redownload the game when it comes out of beta? I remember getting an email from larian saying that I have to get a new key so I imagine I will have to redownload it.

Cheddahz

Banned
I ended up buying this during the Summer Sale and yes, I can't wait for the full game to release (though I'm going out of town a day after it comes out, so...)

Sentenza

I've been playing again and, even though I usually prefer RTwP, the combat in this game is outstanding.
The combat is generally very good, but what I realized at some point during my playthrough is that what's rally outstanding is the encounter design.
Some of the toughest fights are incredibly fun to "solve".

as a ks backer, will I have to redownload the game when it comes out of beta? I remember getting an email from larian saying that I have to get a new key so I imagine I will have to redownload it.

Yes, you'll need to redownload the game. New keys will be loaded into the Larian Vault. You should log in now and set which platform (Steam/GoG/Larian) you'd like your key to be registered to.

Yes, you'll need to redownload the game. New keys will be loaded into the Larian Vault. You should log in now and set which platform (Steam/GoG/Larian) you'd like your key to be registered to.

So the key I have on Steam right now is good or does it need to be re-added with a new key?

Nibel

How are the other Divinity games? I thought to start with this one, but there might be good Steam deals for the other ones and those could be a good starting point for the franchise - there are many Divinity games though..

Almighty

Well GAF you have done it again. I was already pretty excited for this game and all this gushing over it has only made it worse. So yeah the 30th can't come fast enough. Also any talk of this game being GOTY is blasphemous as that title is going to Pillars of Eternity. Assuming it makes it this year.

Looks like there is a lot of shitting on Wasteland 2 in this thread as well so maybe I need to lower my expectations for that game.

Santiako

How are the other Divinity games? I thought to start with this one, but there might be good Steam deals for the other ones and those could be a good starting point for the franchise - there are many Divinity games though..

Divine Divinity is a masterpiece.
Beyond Divinity you can skip.
Divinity 2 Director's cut is fantastic.
Have not tried Dragon Commander yet.

VandalD

You can start anywhere. Just don't bother with Beyond Divinity. Original Sin is as good a place to start as any.

Sinatar

Divine Divinity - Great RPG with a lot of world interactivity. Combat is similar to Diablo. Turns into a bit of a slog near the end (the infamous demon fortresses) but it's definitely worth playing.
Beyond Divinity - Released way before it was ready (to save their company basically), it's not very good at all.
Divinity 2 - 3rd person action RPG with a pretty weak combat system. The games big hook is being able to turn into a dragon, unfortunately that's also the worst part of the game. Some people liked it, I really really didn't.
Dragon Commander - A hybrid action game/strategy game. Like many hybrid games, the individual pieces aren't very strong, and I didn't really think the sum was greater then it's parts. Some clever writing and characters though.

Nibel

I think Beyond Divinity is the only turd.

Divine Divinity is a masterpiece.
Beyond Divinity you can skip.
Divinity 2 Director's cut is fantastic.
Have not tried Dragon Commander yet.

You can start anywhere. Just don't bother with Beyond Divinity. Original Sin is as good a place to start as any.

Thanks guys :)

Dragon Commander looks not like I would have expected; seems almost like a action-game with RTS elements?

Divine Divinity looks good, should pick it up during the sale - 2 bucks only!

nonadventurer

Neo Member
I think you should just start with Original Sin. The other Divinity games may be good or not, but they're definitely very different from this one.

I just don't want anyone to judge this game prematurely based on the previous Divinity games ^_^

Levyne

Banned
These blurbs are great because I decided to pick up absolutely everything in the sale, haha. Thanks for the impressions. I still want to try Beyond Divinity too despite the reception: gotta contrast peaks and valleys.

But I'm gonna go in with Original Sin :)

Nibel

Divine Divinity - Great RPG with a lot of world interactivity. Combat is similar to Diablo. Turns into a bit of a slog near the end (the infamous demon fortresses) but it's definitely worth playing.
Beyond Divinity - Released way before it was ready (to save their company basically), it's not very good at all.
Divinity 2 - 3rd person action RPG with a pretty weak combat system. The games big hook is being able to turn into a dragon, unfortunately that's also the worst part of the game. Some people liked it, I really really didn't.
Dragon Commander - A hybrid action game/strategy game. Like many hybrid games, the individual pieces aren't very strong, and I didn't really think the sum was greater then it's parts. Some clever writing and characters though.

Thanks for you input; seems like the original and Original Sin are the two games I should check out.

I think you should just start with Original Sin. The other Divinity games may be good or not, but they're definitely very different from this one.

I just don't want anyone to judge this game prematurely based on the previous Divinity games ^_^

I watched some videos on YouTube of Original Sin and saw the amount of customization and interaction; I think nothing can ruin my current view of the game at the moment. Seeing that kind of depth in a game in this day and age is something truly fantastic.

Zukuu

Banned
I don't think they are connected together very tightly, if at all.

Dragon Commander is fantastic imo. It's not very long and doesn't overstay its welcome. The actual gameplay is not something great, but it's serviceable and can be cheesed through if you want to.
I loved Divinity II for what it was. The aspect of an own tower and minions you can command to do all kinds of stuff was great. Combat felt intuitive and fast. It also has one of the best plot twists imo. Such a cool ending. The add on that picked up where you left off wasn't as good sadly and made the story worse in retrospect. I'd skip the add on and play the original alone.

Leb

As an OCD gamer who hasn't managed to properly finish a game since the Witcher 2, are there any classes/skills/etc that I should absolutely not miss for a first playthrough? I've been really excited for this game since I backed the KS and I'm going to try my damndest to actually play through an entire game and live with my choices and their consequences and not end up rerolling 8,000 times while not progressing any further than the first stage.

Minsc

Gold Member
More opinions for you!

Divinity II:
5OKyFCn.png

Dragon Commander:
Z4rmoLK.png

Also, nice thread / looking forward to playing this game (Original Sin)! Already redeemed my kickstarter pledge a while back, but skipped the alpha/beta and been waiting for release.

Also, nice thread / looking forward to playing this game (Original Sin)! Already redeemed my kickstarter pledge a while back, but skipped the alpha/beta and been waiting for release.

Minsc, you'll need go back into your kickstarter account on the Larian Vault site and get a new key for the final release version of D:OS next week. The codes already generated are for alpha/beta builds that will not transition over to the full release.

Nibel

Oh boy, never knew Divinity had such a following!

It seems like Dragon Commander is much shorter than the other ones, right?

Also, I know understand why Levyne went crazy and bought everything with the name Divinity on it
KuGsj.gif
Never had this franchise really on my radar for whatever reasons. Will change that as soon as I can!

Durante

I think it's hard to argue that some of Dragon Commander's parts aren't a bit flawed, but I still loved the entire package. I feel like it's almost a game made for me (as in, someone who has played far too many games and is often bored by retreads). Not only is the combination of genres completely unique, but even the individual parts all have quite a few mechanical twists within their respective sub-genres.

Also, I just loved the feeling of turning around an almost lost RTS battle with my dragon skills, and zipping between different fronts of the battle at ludicrous speed. And it seemed incredibly pro to build units and waypoint them while fighting as a dragon.

I really wish the MP would have caught on, I'd love to watch some high-level MP play of the game.

nonadventurer

Neo Member
As an OCD gamer who hasn't managed to properly finish a game since the Witcher 2, are there any classes/skills/etc that I should absolutely not miss for a first playthrough? I've been really excited for this game since I backed the KS and I'm going to try my damndest to actually play through an entire game and live with my choices and their consequences and not end up rerolling 8,000 times while not progressing any further than the first stage.

You should definitely take whichever class has the Teleport ability (I forget which class that is). It's really fun to mess around with!

Zukuu

Banned
Oh boy, never knew Divinity had such a following!

It seems like Dragon Commander is much shorter than the other ones, right?

Also, I know understand why Levyne went crazy and bought everything with the name Divinity on it
KuGsj.gif
Never had this franchise really on my radar for whatever reasons. Will change that as soon as I can!

Well it's not really a franchise per se other than for the name. All the games up to now featured entirely new playstyle.

Divine Divnity is a cRPG in a classical sense (like original sin)
Divinity II is more like a mix of Morrowind / Gothic / Witcher: a 3rd person action RPG with the ability to transform into a dragon for pew pew. And an awesome tower where you could upgrade stuff, give order to minions etc. The way you get that tower and its inhabitants is SOOOOO awesome.
Divinity: Dragon Commander is a RTS game, combined with a mild political simulator, awesome dialogues and the ability to transform intoa dragon in the RTS battles for pew pew

edit:
You should definitely take whichever class has the Teleport ability (I forget which class that is). It's really fun to mess around with!
Ranger starts with a sort of teleport skill. Warrior can learn it from level 3 onwards in the warrior specialization.

Sinatar

I wouldn't go that far... OS is basically a second (and going by Early Access impressions more successful) attempt at the same concept Divine Divinity was going for.

It actually feels like what they were aiming for with Beyond Divinity what with the 2 character dynamic.

Zukuu

Banned
Is there melee friendly fire? I know spells can hurt my own guys, but for melee strikes it makes ZERO sense. DA II had that and after playing it for 5 minutes, I went to search for a mod that fixes that, and to no surprise, found one immediately. That was on day one! It's just a stupid design choice, making having 2 melees not feasible.

Klyka

Banned
Is there melee friendly fire in? I know spells can hurt my own guys, but for melee strikes it makes ZERO sense. DA II had that in and after playing it for 5 minutes, I went onto to search for a mod that fixes that, and to no surprise, found one immediately. That was day one. It's just a stupid design choice, making having 2 melees not feasible.

I had my two chracters stand next to eachother and melee attack and nothing happened. I don't think melee attacks are "AOE"

Top Bottom