• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

epmode

~300 posts in 12 hours, and the game isn't even out! I feared the worst a few months ago, GAF, but I'm optimistic that people will notice this game even if the press doesn't!

nonadventurer

Neo Member
Divine Divnity is a cRPG in a classical sense (like original sin)

I enjoyed Divine Divinity a lot, but I would strongly argue against saying it's anything like Original Sin! (Sorry to barge in, but I just don't want any of this thread's readers to be misled :p)

Divine Divinity's gameplay is essentially the (much) better version of Diablo. It's real-time, and it isn't particularly tactical. The game doesn't have the freedom or the free-form gameplay of Original Sin, either, and the character development is much simpler too.

Seriously though, whoever was maybe disappointed by any of the previous Divinity games -- DO give Original Sin a try!! It's a completely different beast, much closer to the classic RPGs from Ultima to Fallout or Baldur's Gate II. I swear you won't be disappointed :p

nonadventurer

Neo Member
I wouldn't go that far... OS is basically a second (and going by Early Access impressions more successful) attempt at the same concept Divine Divinity was going for.

I'm sorry for the double post - but how so? Forget the intention, focus on the gameplay. Yeah, I know Divine Divinity wasn't your standard Diablo-like, but still, it had a Diablo-like gameplay, it wasn't turn-based, it didn't have nearly the same environment interaction nor character development. It was a totally different game.

Original Sin is just much more of a full-fledged, classic RPG.

I... many have gone overboard buying copies of this game upon discovering what it really is. I'll have a choice of co-op partners when it comes out, at least.

Zukuu

Banned
I enjoyed Divine Divinity a lot, but I would strongly argue against saying it's anything like Original Sin! (Sorry to barge in, but I just don't want any of this thread's readers to be misled :p)

Divine Divinity's gameplay is essentially the (much) better version of Diablo. It's real-time, and it isn't particularly tactical. The game doesn't have the freedom or the free-form gameplay of Original Sin, either, and the character development is much simpler too.

Seriously though, whoever was maybe disappointed by any of the previous Divinity games -- DO give Original Sin a try!! It's a completely different beast, much closer to the classic RPGs from Ultima to Fallout or Baldur's Gate II. I swear you won't be disappointed :p
Well, I just mean it's more of a cRPG in a genre sense. Talking, exploring etc, I wouldn't call it a straight hack n slash. Original Sin is also part of the cRPG genre. I didn't meant that the two games play alike.

Arulan

~300 posts in 12 hours, and the game isn't even out! I feared the worst a few months ago, GAF, but I'm optimistic that people will notice this game even if the press doesn't!

It really is remarkable. Although there are probably a lot of cRPG fans who have been waiting for this renaissance we're starting to go through now to finally happen. Just yesterday we had a three page thread on Inquisitor, a heavily text-based isometric rpg. Oh, and it's still going.

There does seem to be quite a few newcomers to the genre though, and I hope they enjoy this one.

Santiako

I found this crafting picture in Larian's website quite funny:

YDnlzEn.jpg

syko de4d

I hope they release the first mod "The Cow Simulator 2014" at the same day as they release the Mod Kit, in 3days. Some fun 4 days before launch, maybe you play as a group of cows and follow a cowtastic Story :D

Zakalwe

Banned
I think that the only friendly fire is magical/environmental. Melee/Archery doesn't damage your party.

I'm certain I hit my partner with a Melee strike while aiming for a chest. I didn't try it again for obvious reasons, and I'm not at my PC, but I think you can friendly melee.

Preordered during the daily sale, trying to get some other stuff out of the way before this hits because I know it'll be a huge time sink. I'm expecting it to be totally ignored by the mainstream games press so I hope user impressions and youtubers can get the word out!

ZoddGutts

Wouldn't mind if Larian did another Divine Divinity type game. Even though they didn't want it to be action based, it still turned out to be their best game so far and was well received. Imagine a Divine Divinity type game with a higher budget and co-op added also using Divinity: Original Sin's engine. Would want.

Decado

I still can't believe they are releasing the game on the heals of the steam summer sale. Such an odd decision.

Hopefully it is on gog.

Zukuu

Banned
I still can't believe they are releasing the game on the heals of the steam summer sale. Such an odd decision.

Hopefully it is on gog.
it was part of it. Since there is an option for KS backers to receive a GOG key, I think it'll be on gog as well.

Durante

What would you have them do? It was not done before the sale, and withholding it from their backers and fans for a while after the sale when it is done just to improve the launch day impact potential would be an asshole move.

I blame Valve. Also: heels.

Hopefully it is on gog.

It was top 10 in sales on the first day (I bought a copy). I think it'll be ok. Plus games like these usually have long tails.

Sentenza

Also any talk of this game being GOTY is blasphemous as that title is going to Pillars of Eternity. Assuming it makes it this year.
Well, let me put it in this way: I have a lot of hope in Pillars of Eternity and it *may* end up being even better, but it will definitely need some hard work and great results to achieve that, because Divinity Original Sin definitely doesn't look like a pushover as competition.

kd-z

I've been very excited for this game since before the Kickstarter and have just told a good friend of mine all about it. The conclusion to our discussion was obvious: we'll play it co-op... in August, when I'll be back from vacation :< Can't wait!

Durante

In the extras that come with the Divinity 2 developer's cut, you can see how every game from the original on starts with a design concept that sounds like Original Sin, until reality sets in (usually publisher B.S.) and the direction of the game is forced to become what the final games were.
Yeah, I also got that feeling when i had a look at those extras a few months ago. They've wanted to make OS for a long time now.

All that stuff is really entertaining to watch and read. I'd recommend it to anybody with even a passing interest in how the sausage is made.
I'd like to second that. Really interesting stuff. There are also a few nice development documents included with Dragon Commander.

It's certainly a good start for the OT. Better than I expected!

draetenth

I can't wait for this game (and all of the other cRPGs like Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity). I've had the game installed for some time now, but I decided to wait until it was officially released.

VandalD

In the extras that come with the Divinity 2 developer's cut, you can see how every game from the original on starts with a design concept that sounds like Original Sin, until reality sets in (usually publisher B.S.) and the direction of the game is forced to become what the final games were.

Most of the poor decisions -- including the dorky name "Divine Divinity" -- we're forced on them from above. And everything Larian themselves mucked up is dissected in shockingly honest detail.

All that stuff is really entertaining to watch and read. I'd recommend it to anybody with even a passing interest in how the sausage is made.
I had no idea this stuff was included with developer's cut. Divinity: Sword of Lies is a much better name.

Gbraga

I'm not even that much of an cRPG fan, didn't play most classics, never touched the franchise before The Dragon Knight Saga on the 360, which I never finished because the game was region locked and I had to sell my french 360 (bought it on PC again though, I'll get to it when I can), but this game looks absolutely amazing, you don't have to be a big fan, just watch a trailer and you'll be excited.

Durante

I had no idea this stuff was included with developer's cut. Divinity: Sword of Lies is a much better name.
Talking about names, I guess Divinity: Original Sin was named "Eyes of a Child" at some point?
(there's "EoC" in the executable name, and that string is in the binary)

Sothpaw

I can't wait for this game (and all of the other cRPGs like Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity). I've had the game installed for some time now, but I decided to wait until it was officially released.

Brofist.

Really happy how this thread is turning out. A few weeks ago I wouldn't have imagined so many posts on the first day. Well deserved by this awesome game.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for all the compliments on the OT everyone!

Also, sorry for the late update, I was way from my computer after the initial hours of posting the OT. :/

You might want to change the image at the top OP. You have the original artwork displayed. When it was first revealed there was a bit of outrage from the community as to how exposed the female lead was so they redid it. As an aside I think it is pretty awesome and refreshing in this day an age that the main artwork for the game has the two main characters holding hands. Signs of affection are a pretty rare focal point for video game boxart. Here is the new image:

Yes. I remember the whole issue from the kickstarter. The reason that I'm using the original version is one of availability. Larian has been great disseminating footage and interacting with the community; but when it comes to static promotional materials, they have been a bit lacking. When they redid the image, they never released a full version suitable for my purposes. Theoretically, since all they did was rework her abdomen, replacing the OT version with the revised Scarlett could be done with Photoshop and a graphics tablet. I don't have a tablet, well a working one anyway, right now. So it would be dependent on the generosity of a third party at this point.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Brofist.

Really happy how this thread is turning out. A few weeks ago I wouldn't have imagined so many posts on the first day. Well deserved by this awesome game.

CRPG GAF turns out when it counts. My Might & Magic X thread was surprisingly large as well, even more so since I created it and I have a talent for making threads nobody gives a singular fuck about.

nonadventurer

Neo Member
CRPG GAF turns out when it counts. My Might & Magic X thread was surprisingly large as well, even more so since I created it and I have a talent for making threads nobody gives a singular fuck about.

It helped that Might & Magic X was a pretty good game, I guess! Just like this one is shaping up to be pretty good (possibly even great), too.

Sentenza

Just in case I'm the only one who missed it: is there already some info about what's going to change exactly with the final release?
Beside the obvious addition of the missing content, I mean.

Arulan

I just launched the beta again. I don't want to spoil myself but I wanted to have an idea of what my starting builds were going to look like. What has everyone decided to start with? Just a general outline is fine, no spoilers from the rest of the game please.

While I was taking a look at the graphics options I really appreciate the fact there is separate options for everything within post-processing. Too many games lump it all together within one setting, it's annoying. Additionally, if you're going to use a post-processing AA method I'm glad they at least have SMAA or several methods to choose from. Might & Magic X recently surprised me in this by having quite a few different PPAA methods to choose from. Finally, an in-game frame rate limiter is always welcome.

Santiako

How many of the Divinity games is Zandalor in?. Edit: Wait a moment, I believe I'm thinking of the wrong guy. NEVERMIND!

They're the same thing.

Zandalor the mage has been in Divine Divinity and Divinity 2, and will most likely be in this game as well, since you can see his silhouette in the box art, along with Arhu in cat form :p

Sothpaw

I would have been there man but I was dealing with a 1 year old at the time. He sleeps a little better now; feels good to be back into gaming.

Google

OK - had an hour to play with it tonight and got to the bridge just outside the first town.

I really want to go on but I'm going to save it for my first play through. That first 60 minutes was fun but I dont want to spoil the rest of the game. I'm convinced I'm going to enjoy based upon these first few minutes.

My absolutely favourite thing is the battle system. It feels so relaxed yet specific. If I want to use a spell I know exactly how many points it will take, what will happen, when it will happen and why it's important. Most games make this stuff incredibly difficult to feel out.

Also, that first dungeon is a fantastic opener for some of the more creative systems in the game.

Much fun was had.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm pretty sure you need 2 skill points to raise a skill to level 2, 3 to level 3, etc, but I'm half-asleep so I would remember that wrong.

Seems my first 15 points are already locked by Man-at-arms or however that talent is called that lets you learn new warrior stuff. Or at least till I'm level 3 for Phoenix Dive goodness.

Adnor

Banned
Seems my first 15 points are already locked by Man-at-arms or however that talent is called that lets you learn new warrior stuff. Or at least till I'm level 3 for Phoenix Dive goodness.

They changed the skill system some patches ago. I haven't tried it so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but it seems you don't need to level up men-at-arms at a high level to get the more powerful skills, but let you have new active skills.
For example, men-at-arms level 1 let you have 3 warrior skills, level two adds... 2 more? and so on. You can unlearn your skills freely, but you need a skill book to learn it again. I think high level men-at-arms make you skills cost less AP and have shorter CD, but again, I haven't tried the new system, so I'm not sure.

EDIT: From the changelog that changed that:
DESIGN CHANGES:

New: Level in the "discipline" or "school" ability now determines amount of skills you can learn of that discipline
Level 1 = 3
Level 2 = 5
Level 3 = 7
Level 4 = 9
Level 5 = unlimited
New: Skillbooks have level requirement + primary stat requirement (+ 2 have trait requirement)

EDIT 2: ForkTong, one of the developers, explains the change and why they did it: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=495329#Post495329 and http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=498474#Post498474

Top Bottom