• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

Not sure how I feel about the game yet. I had a lot of fun with it yesterday but that crossfader...I'm sure there are people who are gonna be masters with it but I'm thinking there may have been a better way to implement it, hardware-wise. Hopefully my opinion changes with more practice. I started on hard but went down to medium after awhile and I was surprised to find I still enjoyed it.

Music is far better than I expected. I never want to hear Third Eye Blind again though.

XiaNaphryz said:
At first I also had some issues scratching with the innermost button, but if you use your thumb to hold on to the edge of the turntable you can get some good leverage. Once I got comfortable with that hold, I haven't missed a blue scratch. Of course, I'm sure the harder setlists or the all-directional scratches on Expert will kick my ass at first. :lol
I'll have to try that. I was having problems with blue scratching.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Just picked up my copy.

LOL @ the cheapness of the packaging. Cheap slipcover over a cardboard box, cheap black & white ultra thin instruction manual, with (I don't even know how this works) an even cheaper Xbox 360 game case made from less plastic than normal, and the turntable isn't even in a plastic bag or anything, so it has all this fuzz or dust on it from the inside cardboard packaging or foam thing on the spindle. Bah!

I shouldn't let it bother me, but jebus, $120 should give someone a better first impression than that.
Yeah, I know this is beating a dead horse, but the game is extremely overpriced considering what you get. I'm almost ashamed with myself for buying it, but at least I didn't pay full price...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention navigating the menus is a chore. Why can't I use the turntable? Instead it's the crossfader sometimes, othertimes it's the knob. I guess I should just resort to using dpad all the time.

Nemesis_

It's kinda telling how all of Activisions recent Guitar Hero games are in much cheaper packaging.

Does anyone find the GUI of DJ Hero very, well, bare bones? Compared to Guitar Hero and Rock Band, at least.

It's as if this is an incomplete version used to test the waters before they launch a more fully fledged sequel.

Yeah, the gameplay is quite good, but the overall package is a bit meh.

Thankfully I didn't pay full price either.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Not sure how I feel about the game yet. I had a lot of fun with it yesterday but that crossfader...

Try to push the CF NOT all the way to the middle when you return to the center position. I often "oversteer" that way and it goes too far. You don't have to center it all the way.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention navigating the menus is a chore. Why can't I use the turntable? Instead it's the crossfader sometimes, othertimes it's the knob. I guess I should just resort to using dpad all the time.

Yeah. I also don't understand why you can't use the turntable for selecting things.
But Wii users have the better controls once again. :] We have an additional Analogstick on the CF unit as well as + and - buttons (like on the GH guitars) to navigate the menus.

Am I the only one here getting headaches from this game?

I just did a set of songs and couldn't continue because the "stage lights" were flashing way too brightly and way too often during one of the songs. Is there any way to turn this off, I can't imagine actually doing well on a song with those lights flashing like crazy.

ultron87

Any reports of turntables being broke out of the box/soon after?

I'm just curious as I've had some bad luck with first runs of peripheral games in the past.

bistromathics said:
er...anyone else have a problem with the game freezing on them? It's not the xbox - I can play hours of sf4 without a hitch. But DJ hero just locked up on me for the second time.

I thought I was the only one. It has frozen 3 times on me so far. Usually when I'm picking songs for a setlist.

Well, no problems here. Picked up the standard version yesterday, turntable works perfect out of the box, played through the setlist for 2 hours last night without the slightest bit of trouble. 360 version.

bryehn

mckmas8808 said:
Is normal too hard for any of you guys? The game seems hard as fuck to me.

Started to get tough around 60% through for me, but they do a great job of slowly working you in to beat juggling, cross-scratching and such. It's starting to feel more "real" for me. Haven't hit the wall on medium yet, but I definitely will on hard.

I could see this being complicated for people who aren't familiar with a real DJ setup or scratching techniques though. My girlfriend had a hell of a time adapting and was trainwrecking everything at first, but started to catch on after an hour or so.

...oh and whoever (IGN) said FSGs mixes are as good as the ones by Shadow, Jazzy Jeff, etc. are crazy. There's a marked difference, IMO at least.

Worst mix? Third Eye Blind vs. Jackson 5.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Stormwatch said:
I thought I was the only one. It has frozen 3 times on me so far. Usually when I'm picking songs for a setlist.
Hm...yea, that's when it happened for me too. Also when it was changing songs during a set.

mckmas8808 said:
Is normal too hard for any of you guys? The game seems hard as fuck to me.
I did a couple med then went to hard for a few sets. Now I'm doing expert but I'll drop it back down if I'm having trouble interpreting the patterns. The lerning curve is no different from any other rhythm game.

I am interested in this fine game. Is the verdict out on whether or not I have to buy the renegade version or not?

I found the fun part of guitar hero was creating the muscle memory the first time you bought the game. That also happened with the rock band drums, and I had a blast on those. That feeling is worth it, even if after a few sequels all that is left is dragon fource kids.

Tabs

Wow, this game is even better than I anticipated, and my anticipation was high. It brings me back to that feeling the first time I brought home Guitar Hero and felt like I was actually playing a song. I got the RE, and I'm really impressed with the build quality. It's a better piece of equipment than the Konami Beatmania controller. Really glad I scooped the RE because of the case/stand. I wouldn't have had anything to put the controller on to get a perfect height while standing.

I started on Hard since the tutorials seems pretty easy. I 5-starred the first set and considered Expert, but went with Hard expecting it to get tougher. And it did. The first song I failed (2-starred) was Eminem and Beck. I've self-imposed a fail mode though, so I went back and 3-starred it. Tried Expert on the first set and got 4-5 stars.

I really prefer the directional scratching. I feel like when there is no direction, I scratch one extra up or down and end up out of rhythm. But, I'll stick with Hard and the mostly non-directional scratches through my first play through. Managing quick crossfades in tandem with button presses or scratches is the real difficulty, but like others have said, the crossfader works as built since you don't need to hit perfect center.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Trav said:
Wow, this game is even better than I anticipated, and my anticipation was high. It brings me back to that feeling the first time I brought home Guitar Hero and felt like I was actually playing a song. I got the RE, and I'm really impressed with the build quality. It's a better piece of equipment than the Konami Beatmania controller. Really glad I scooped the RE because of the case/stand. I wouldn't have had anything to put the controller on to get a perfect height while standing.

I started on Hard since the tutorials seems pretty easy. I 5-starred the first set and considered Expert, but went with Hard expecting it to get tougher. And it did. The first song I failed (2-starred) was Eminem and Beck. I've self-imposed a fail mode though, so I went back and 3-starred it. Tried Expert on the first set and got 4-5 stars.

I really prefer the directional scratching. I feel like when there is no direction, I scratch one extra up or down and end up out of rhythm. But, I'll stick with Hard and the mostly non-directional scratches through my first play through. Managing quick crossfades in tandem with button presses or scratches is the real difficulty, but like others have said, the crossfader works as built since you don't need to hit perfect center.
Yeah, I figure I'll stick with Hard at first until most of the setlists are unlocked, then go back and try again on Expert.

robot

I just realized that Euphoria enables an automatic cross-fader. Really comes in handy during those constant switch back/button press parts.

Oh and the game supports Dolby 5.1!

robot said:
I just realized that Euphoria enables an automatic cross-fader. Really comes in handy during those constant switch back/button press parts.

Oh and the game supports Dolby 5.1!

Damn, I always forget to enable Dolby 5.1. I wish they had some sort of prompt when you first start the game to enable or disable it.

jmoe316

DrAndonuts said:
Wow, the Gamestop song codes are actually new DLC songs. I redeemed mine for PS3, and I got:

-Radio Ga Ga by Queen vs. All of Me by Mary J. Blige
-Can't Truss Us by Public Enemy vs. Dare by Gorillaz

So, I guess the promise of day 1 DLC hold true? Pretty, pretty cool.

Can anyone confirm this? I pre-ordered here in Canada but the guy didn't have any codes and said to call back to see if they get them in. Chances are if they didn't have them on launch day, they ain't coming.

XiaNaphryz

jmoe316 said:
Can anyone confirm this? I pre-ordered here in Canada but the guy didn't have any codes and said to call back to see if they get them in. Chances are if they didn't have them on launch day, they ain't coming.
Maybe it's a US only dealie?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
jmoe316 said:

Atleast here, the stores sometimes get the codes a day or two late. So unless you call and go back up there, you end up getting screwed. When I got NBA Live, they didn't have the CD soundtracks for pre-orders until 3 days after release.

:Motorbass said:
Try to push the CF NOT all the way to the middle when you return to the center position. I often "oversteer" that way and it goes too far. You don't have to center it all the way.
This is really good advice. The hitch in the center was screwing me up. Now I just avoid dead-center and keep it loose and I'm having far fewer problems.

BUT I think my turntable might be defective. Hit the DJ Jazzy Jeff set and in the middle of it my streaks kept getting broken during scratching sections. And it wasn't like I missed a scratch and the arrow passed below the bar. It would react as if I hit one of the other buttons when I clearly hadn't. I thought maybe this meant my scratch timing was off but then a rewind triggered when I barely moved the thing. And sometimes one button would shake, sometimes both. Usually the red one. Went back to the easiest sets and was still having the scratching problem, so I don't think it's me. But I hope it is cuz I don't wanna return this damn thing. I was really getting into it. :(

Psykotik

jmoe316 said:

i preordered online and i'm having it shipped to me overseas to asia and i got an email from gamestop to redeem the free DLC at http://www.gamestop.com/djhero

Something I noticed about the Gamestop DLC is that once the songs are added, they form their own setlist. These two songs are called Extended Mix 1. So, I guess that DLC is going to come in setlists, instead of a song-by-song basis.

Argyle

Game is a lot better than I thought it was going to be, but is anyone else experiencing extreme audio lag? PS3 version, going HDMI LPCM 5.1 into my receiver, I'm pretty sure my autocalibrated Rock Band number is around 12ms lag but I calibrated DJ hero at 100ms lag, which makes the freestyle sections pretty much useless (although the rest of the game is playable)...

I tried it on my bedroom TV (via HDMI also) and I also got 100ms lag. What are other PS3 owners seeing?

Just try using your Rock Band numbers. The audio/video should be the same for every game. I used mine and DJ Hero is perfectly in sync.

Fixed1979

For the crossfader, I've been leaving a finger in the middle so when I bring it back it hits my finger and stops. When going from hard left to hard right and back to center I still mess it up every once and awhile when it's moving quickly.

Smokey

bistromathics said:
er...anyone else have a problem with the game freezing on them? It's not the xbox - I can play hours of sf4 without a hitch. But DJ hero just locked up on me for the second time.

I didn't have any problems. I played for about 4 hours yesterday too. But I also have the game installed on my hard drive, maybe that helps?

XiaNaphryz said:
Yeah it does, but enabling it usually means adding some audio lag so get ready to adjust that if you use it.

I was playing yesterday with the 5.1 cranked up and didn't notice any lag.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Captain N said:
I love how you can't fail songs. It really helps you make it through the songs and get better at the harder songs.

Around here, we thought it was weird at first and felt funny for a music game to have no fail state... but I gotta agree. After a bit you don't feel as afraid to play harder songs and there is much less stress induced mistakes.

Maybe it's just that the game is a much more single player, score attack focused experience. This isn't Rock Band where having a fail state is crucial to the multiplayer band angle.

XiaNaphryz

DrAndonuts said:
Just try using your Rock Band numbers. The audio/video should be the same for every game. I used mine and DJ Hero is perfectly in sync.
I'm just using the settings I had set for GHWT. I carried that over to RB2 and it worked out ok, and so far it's working fine with DJH.

ascully

The message of the day at the bottom of the 360 version just changed to buy Extended Mix 1, I do not see it on the Marketplace though. It says it features Queen, Mary J Blige & Jay Z.

Fixed1979

Captain N said:
I love how you can't fail songs. It really helps you make it through the songs and get better at the harder songs.

I was worried about the inability to fail at songs, but after playing a bit I think the system is fine. I received a 2 star rating on a couple of songs, but considering how everything is unlocked in the game I know I need to go back and get those 5 stars somehow.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Smokey said:
I didn't have any problems. I played for about 4 hours yesterday too. But I also have the game installed on my hard drive, maybe that helps?

Sometimes the disc drive makes a weird RRR sound. This is only something I only notice when playing DJ Hero. I remember hearing it before it crashed before and I just heard it right now when i turned my xbox on. I don't think it's actually the disk drive, because I've yet to hear it on SF4 (I switch between the two a lot).

There wouldn't be anything physically wrong with the physical disc though, right? Like a weird weight imbalance. That's not a thing that can happen, right?

robot

That Daft Punk set is worth the price of the game alone. It gets pretty tough, but man those are some ridiculous mixes.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
ascully said:
The message of the day at the bottom of the 360 version just changed to buy Extended Mix 1, I do not see it on the Marketplace though. It says it features Queen, Mary J Blige & Jay Z.
Ah, glad those GS DLC songs aren't exclusive then.
Will buy as soon as they pop up.

XiaNaphryz

BigBlackGamer said:
So is the DJ Hero calibration shit like GH or no?
It's like GHWT. Tap a button to an audio cue, then to a video cue (press when circle overlaps the target). If you have settings from previous GH or RB games, just use that and you should be fine.

I always found GH to be a bitch to calibrate with DD 5.1 and for the most part I can't use my RB numbers because the engines are not the same. GH is very loose and RB is tight with timing. I'm assuming DJ Hero is very loose with the timing window as well.

XiaNaphryz

BigBlackGamer said:
I always found GH to be a bitch to calibrate with DD 5.1 and for the most part I can't use my RB numbers because the engines are not the same. GH is very loose and RB is tight with timing. I'm assuming DJ Hero is very loose with the timing window as well.
I'd use GH numbers as a start then, with DD enabled. Considering there is guitar support for a handful of tracks in the game, it's probably a valid assumption they're using either the GHWT or GH5 engine for at least that part of the game.

Fixed1979

bistromathics said:

I'm on PS3, the game hasn't froze completely, but there were a couple of songs that it froze for a second or two. Of course when it actually starts again you're fucked.

BigBlackGamer said:

Those numbers are specific to your TV and speakers, I think. It shouldn't matter what game it is, that's just the lag of your TV and speakers.

Also, DJ Hero's timing is pretty tight, especially for the crossfades.

DrAndonuts said:
Those numbers are specific to your TV and speakers, I think. It shouldn't matter what game it is, that's just the lag of your TV and speakers.

Also, DJ Hero's timing is pretty tight, especially for the crossfades.

It does matter what the game is. trust me. I own the vast majority of GH and RB games and I will tell you that you need different numbers depending on the game.

XiaNaphryz said:
I'd use GH numbers as a start then, with DD enabled. Considering there is guitar support for a handful of tracks in the game, it's probably a valid assumption they're using either the GHWT or GH5 engine for at least that part of the game.

yea that's what I was thinking. I'll see whats up when I get it.

BigBlackGamer said:
It does matter what the game is. trust me. I own the vast majority of GH and RB games and I will tell you that you need different numbers depending on the game.

Hm, could be your TV. I've got a 40" Samsung 1080p TV and a cheapo 5.1 surround sound setup, and I've been able to use the same numbers for every music game, DJ Hero, GH2/3/4/5, Rock Revolution, and RB1/2/Beatles. All have zero lag with the same video/audio numbers.

Same deal with my last TV, a Sharp 1080p 32". The numbers were different than my Samsung, but I was able to use that set of numbers with GH2/3/4 and RB1/2.

Evander

"industry expert"
Fixed1979 said:
I'm on PS3, the game hasn't froze completely, but there were a couple of songs that it froze for a second or two. Of course when it actually starts again you're fucked.

360, and zero freezing problems

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
oh my god I just saw my first dj jazzy jeff song on expert. directional scratching looks like it will be so much fun. I just realized my best moments playing on hard - when i get the rush associated with pulling off patterns in rhythm games - were when a scratch just happened to be a simple back-and-forth; so it would match up with the basic motions i was making.

I thought it was cool because there were two patterns you had to execute simultaneously - the buttons and the crossfader. But duh, of course there is a third: directional scratching. The other two look like minigames compared to this one; I'm so pumped about starting to learn the scratch notation.

DrAndonuts said:
Hm, could be your TV. I've got a 40" Samsung 1080p TV and a cheapo 5.1 surround sound setup, and I've been able to use the same numbers for every music game, DJ Hero, GH2/3/4/5, Rock Revolution, and RB1/2/Beatles.

what difficulty do you play on? I have a panny plasma and I have to tweak my numbers for each game and my receiver is a decent mid-range receiver. You could probably get by on the same numbers on medium and not notice anything. I also know people who have to do the same thing both in the RB thread and around me.

Also keep in mind I always play with DD turned on.

Top Bottom