• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

Smokey

Just finished putting together the Renegade stand.

About to dive in:D

So I'm guessing I should definitely start on Medium, but Hard is where it's at am I correct?

MBison

Wait, Best Buy won't let you buy DJ Hero + 2 games and you get the cheapest game for free? That doesn't make any sense. It's like, don't spend any extra money with us!

Smokey

MBison said:
Wait, Best Buy won't let you buy DJ Hero + 2 games and you get the cheapest game for free? That doesn't make any sense. It's like, don't spend any extra money with us!

Yeah I was going to do this, but it wouldn't work. With RE being $200, buying one more game would've been almost $300 in their pocket after tax.

Oh well.

kaskade

Smokey said:
Just finished putting together the Renegade stand.

About to dive in:D

So I'm guessing I should definitely start on Medium, but Hard is where it's at am I correct?
Yeah, but hard is pretty hard, don't get too antsy.

MBison

That still makes absolutely no sense.

#1 - Buy 3 $59.99 games, so you get 3 games for $120 after the last one is free.

#2 - Buy DJ Hero regular, 2 $59.99 games, you get 3 games for $180 after the last one is free.

YOU SPENT MORE MONEY WITH BEST BUY.

so retarded.

Struct09

Classic_Gs said:
Wait, what?

From Kotaku:

For some strange reason, FreeStyleGames omitted to include any sort of quick play option in DJ Hero. In order to play one song, you have to either find the pre-created playlist the song is in or edit out the other tunes, or create your own custom playlist with only that one song in it. It seems completely silly to me that you can't just look at the complete track listing, choose one song, and hit play, but there you go. Strange.

UNDERSTAR

Banned
Been playing this game for the past few hours (Renegade Edition) and I'm luving it. The whole mash up soundtrack in this game is phenomenal. Playing on Medium and still getting use to the feel of the controls but I like it. Of course the price sucks but thats the only negative I gotta say bout this game. This is seriously the first time I had fun with any music games for a while now. Go get it kids!:D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah, the Kotaku thing seemed confusing. Isn't creating a custom playlist with 1 song the same thing? That's technically how something like RB2 or GHWT works with their Quickplay right?

Ah snap, couldn't find any Renegade Editions here, settled for some regular edition.

Some retail codes, which seem to be universal (got them with my box):
"5rTG" DJ Z-Trip
"D1G?" Unlocks all Daft Punk items

tmarques

kylej said:
Blondie/Beastie Boys is incredible.

I had no interest in the game until you made me look for this on youtube - now my irrational obsession with Rapture is going to cost me 200 bucks.

Is Debbie Harry's rap included?

Just picked up my copy.

LOL @ the cheapness of the packaging. Cheap slipcover over a cardboard box, cheap black & white ultra thin instruction manual, with (I don't even know how this works) an even cheaper Xbox 360 game case made from less plastic than normal, and the turntable isn't even in a plastic bag or anything, so it has all this fuzz or dust on it from the inside cardboard packaging or foam thing on the spindle. Bah!

I shouldn't let it bother me, but jebus, $120 should give someone a better first impression than that.

MBison said:

#1 - Buy 3 $59.99 games, so you get 3 games for $120 after the last one is free.

#2 - Buy DJ Hero regular, 2 $59.99 games, you get 3 games for $180 after the last one is free.

so retarded.
I think its because some will try to buy three copies of the game. That's where I see it becoming a problem.

I'm going to get this game sometime in Nov. I enjoyed what I played at a store.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
MBison said:

so retarded.

I guess you forgot the part where the deal is only for games $59.99 and under.

ascully

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Just picked up my copy.

LOL @ the cheapness of the packaging. Cheap slipcover over a cardboard box, cheap black & white ultra thin instruction manual, with (I don't even know how this works) an even cheaper Xbox 360 game case made from less plastic than normal, and the turntable isn't even in a plastic bag or anything, so it has all this fuzz or dust on it from the inside cardboard packaging or foam thing on the spindle. Bah!

I shouldn't let it bother me, but jebus, $120 should give someone a better first impression than that.

The silica gel packet in mine had come open in the package and spilled all over the turntable covering it in gel and dust. They should at least put a plastic bag over the turntable jeez.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Just picked up my copy.

I'd rather the money spent going towards making the packaging look pretty go towards

1.) making sure the controller isn't a piece of shit

and

2.) making a better, bug free game with more tracks.

they can wrap the damn thing in last week's newspaper for all I care.

edit: and speaking of tracks, eminem/beck is horrible. HORRIBLE.

kylej

Banned
I can recycle most of the packaging in its current form and that's one less plastic bag in the world. Wipe the dust off with your finger good lord people.

tmarques said:
Is Debbie Harry's rap included?

Yep.

Played through training and the first two sets on medium... totally happy so far. Awesome stuff, very fun. My turntable works perfectly.

Question. Will going back and playing the first two sets on a higher difficulty earn me more stars? Because it seems like it won't.

kiun

MBison said:

so retarded.

Because its prone to abuse. For example, 3x Renegade Edition

Chairhome

MBison said:
Yes, but it shouldn't matter for anything other than the free game. It's simple logic.
Its because you can't haggle at Best Buy. You can't walk in and say, "I'm going to buy this TV and a game, I want a free game", either. The deal is specifically for $59.99 and under games. There's a reason its only for those games, but I don't know the science behind it. Maybe they make less off of those games anyways.

I ripped through the list on medium. Noisia is the only 4/5 Stars left for me. Started on Hard and that's definately a step up. phew. Throwin' the crossfader around is so much fun in the later mixes. And the Tiesto song is unexpectedly good.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Played through training and the first two sets on medium... totally happy so far. Awesome stuff, very fun. My turntable works perfectly.

Question. Will going back and playing the first two sets on a higher difficulty earn me more stars? Because it seems like it won't.

yeah, it will

Manmademan said:
yeah, it will

Oh good, it is just a little confusing. So going from Easy to Medium won't get you any more stars, but from Medium to Hard will? And how can you tell at what difficulty you beat a set on?

kaskade

:Motorbass said:
I ripped through the list on medium. Noisia is the only 4/5 Stars left for me. Started on Hard and that's definately a step up. phew. Throwin' the crossfader around is so much fun in the later mixes. And the Tiesto song is unexpectedly good.
So was the Paul Van Dyk song, I wasn't sure how that genre of music would do in the game, even as a fan of it. I want more. As much as people are hating on kaleidoscope I think songs from there would be a perfect fit.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Oh good, it is just a little confusing. So going from Easy to Medium won't get you any more stars, but from Medium to Hard will? And how can you tell at what difficulty you beat a set on?

oh wait, I misread your question. I have no idea

tmarques

MBison said:
Yes, but it shouldn't matter for anything other than the free game. It's simple logic.

The fact that something costs more doesn't necessarily translate into a higher profit margin for the retailer.

Smokey

Just finished playing for 2 hours with a friend.

Game is hot. I got the Renegade edition. It's definitely nice, but I dunno if it's $200 nice.

The game is fun though. Played on medium, got comfortable and moved it up to hard. Hard is a challenge, but I feel the pace flows better with the songs.

All the crossfader movement and stuff gets ya, but man..the game is fun.

IGN AU Review 7.0

I understand the complaints, but the issue is, this guy COMPLETELY missed the point of the game.

For some random and bizarre reason, he got the impression DJ Hero was going to let you mix yourself on the fly.

Now, I can only assume that DJ Hero 2 will allow a freestyle mode (I hope), and it would have been a GREAT inclusion in THIS game, but seriously, if this game was going to be about doing your OWN mixes, then wouldn't you just buy your own cheap mixer, and do it yoursefl at home?

smh.

Manmademan said:
oh wait, I misread your question. I have no idea

Yah so that is my question. You can get max stars for a set by playing on easy, and then you don't earn anything for playing a set on medium or difficult or whatever? So what is the point then? Or is there some other way you can earn stars too, not just during the mixes.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Yah so that is my question. You can get max stars for a set by playing on easy, and then you don't earn anything for playing a set on medium or difficult or whatever? So what is the point then? Or is there some other way you can earn stars too, not just during the mixes.

the point is that playing on a harder difficulty is more fun? I started on medium- easy would bore me to sleep

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
omg what a slick package (the game, not the box :p)

Obviously, the thing that makes the game is the track list; totally unprecedented to have so many new, original mixes professionally made for the game. It makes it a unique experience from Guitar Hero or Rock Band, even - it's like DJ Hero is its own universe, with music crafted explicitly for it. Oh wait, it is!

Graphic design, iconography, menus, interface, all amazing and far beyond post-Harmonix Guitar Hero games.

It is indeed light on modes and I wish it had a more immediate and integrated leaderboard display (why does nobody notice what Geometry Wars 2 did??) With /so much/ music, a Rock Band style world tour mode could really be fleshed out and non-repetitive.

The basic play mechanic experience is great though; I always wanted to get into Beatmania but could never master the finger gymnastics required. This I can play.

Only thing that really bothers me is the keys on the turntable platter itself are cheap feeling and clackity. Yet the turntable itself feels incredibly solid and floats gloriously under the fingertips.

I do wish it had a full Harmonix style music store. I'd love to get some serious millage out of this game.

Overall, an impressive debut, due largely to the mind blowing setlist.

robot

My Renegade case came bent out of shape and doesnt stay shut. Glad I only paid $45 for it, at $200 it's total crap. Hopefully I can get it replaced without having to send the entire set back to Amazon.

Game is ridiculous fun. My initial complaint was the small margin for error (especially when you need to go crossfading crazy) but I'm getting better. And scratching w/ the blue button was tough too but I developed a good technique for it. Set list is out of control too. Not sure what the complaints about the crossfaders center were, mine clicks in pretty well.

as mentioned earlier, one helpful thing about the crossfader is that you don't actually have to move it all the way back to the middle for it to move onscreen.

As long as it senses enough "momentum" going left or right, it'll move in that direction, even if you haven't pushed it to the actual center click point.

Top Bottom