• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

BigBlackGamer said:
what difficulty do you play on? I have a panny plasma and I have to tweak my numbers for each game and my receiver is a decent mid-range receiver. You could probably get by on the same numbers on medium and not notice anything. I also know people who have to do the same thing both in the RB thread and around me.

Play on Expert in RB and GH, hard on RR, and now hard/expert on DJ Hero. My roommate is about the same skill level, and he uses the same numbers for his games on his Sony Bravia.

I guess it just varies. I don't have the luxury of using the same numbers across all games. I just hope it won't be a fight to get the calibration right for DJ Hero. GH5 was a bitch for me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
BigBlackGamer said:
I guess it just varies. I don't have the luxury of using the same numbers across all games. I just hope it won't be a fight to get the calibration right for DJ Hero. GH5 was a bitch for me.
Looks like you have 2 sets of numbers to use as a base then, with GH5 and GHWT.

Chairhome

I feel a little bad. My brother lives with me, and I hyped him up about DJ Hero... so he went out and bought the RE today :lol He got the product replacement plan for it at Best Buy, probably don't need it but oh well.

Can't wait to play.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
bistromathics said:
oh my god I just saw my first dj jazzy jeff song on expert. directional scratching looks like it will be so much fun. I just realized my best moments playing on hard - when i get the rush associated with pulling off patterns in rhythm games - were when a scratch just happened to be a simple back-and-forth; so it would match up with the basic motions i was making.

I thought it was cool because there were two patterns you had to execute simultaneously - the buttons and the crossfader. But duh, of course there is a third: directional scratching. The other two look like minigames compared to this one; I'm so pumped about starting to learn the scratch notation.

I played the demo in stores and all that scratching and using the crossfader at the sametime seems very hard.

Does it make it easier if you use the help guide?

ghibli99

Just tried this for the first time. After all the CF bitching I've been reading about, I was worried it would suck. It didn't. The center is actually quite forgiving. I only broke combos because I forgot where the CF was, hitting buttons wrong, or not scratching enough. The mistakes were with me, not the hardware.

Only played one course, but I think I'm hooked. As a long-time BM/IIDX player, I find this to feel completely different from any other music game I've played, which I like. There's familiarity, but new ground/techniques to learn and master. Definitely a fun game!

Probably won't get the RE, though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
:Motorbass said:
I ripped through the list on medium. Noisia is the only 4/5 Stars left for me. Started on Hard and that's definately a step up. phew. Throwin' the crossfader around is so much fun in the later mixes. And the Tiesto song is unexpectedly good.

Elements of Life was one of his weaker ones... tho I haven't heard the in-game mashup with Satisfaction yet. Would have killed to have Suburban Train or Flight 643 on the soundtrack, would have run out and buy the game day one.

man, I need to get home and practice! But I'm at work, then I have class and the world series right after that. I'm not going to get to touch this game until thursday night at the earliest! :( :(

1up

djtiesto said:
Elements of Life was one of his weaker ones... tho I haven't heard the in-game mashup with Satisfaction yet. Would have killed to have Suburban Train or Flight 643 on the soundtrack, would have run out and buy the game day one.

The tiesto satisfaction mashup is brilliant. I love it. The last two setlists have a lot of dance tracks on it.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
mckmas8808 said:
I played the demo in stores and all that scratching and using the crossfader at the sametime seems very hard.

Does it make it easier if you use the help guide?
It seems hard because you (and I) havent learned to interpret the sequences on the screen and translate them into actions yet. Thats what makes a rhythm game a rhythm game!

I don't know what you mean by "help guide"

Baker

Banned
bistromathics said:
er...anyone else have a problem with the game freezing on them? It's not the xbox - I can play hours of sf4 without a hitch. But DJ hero just locked up on me for the second time.
Did you install the game?

RB's audio would lock up on me for ~30 seconds if it got it some weird time loop of reading from the HDD when a notification popped up. It hasn't happened lately, but it was a daily occurrence when installing first hit the scene.

djtiesto said:
Oh man Flight 643 would have been raw, hopefully DLC!

My favorite mix so far is Satisfaction/Boom Boom Boom, "push push push, then touch touch touch, boom boom." So awesome.

Worst Mix: My Name Is/Hova. The song is just so slow, and I found it be quite boring to play.

Edit: Also, played for a fews hours last night and had zero audio lag and no freezing issues. 360.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Ok, I cant sync the fucking turntable to the dongle (ps3). I have tried everything and Im getting really pissed.

I connected the USB dongle, pressed the PS button on the turntable to turn it on, then I hold down the button on the dongle for a couple seconds, then I press the ps button on the turntable again. It just keeps flashing. Am I doing something wrong? Ive tried everything..God this is annoying.

XiaNaphryz

tapedeck said:
Ok, I cant sync the fucking turntable to the dongle (ps3). I have tried everything and Im getting really pissed.

I connected the USB dongle, pressed the PS button on the turntable to turn it on, then I hold down the button on the dongle for a couple seconds, then I press the ps button on the turntable again. It just keeps flashing. Am I doing something wrong? Ive tried everything..God this is annoying.
I just pressed the PS button and it connected right away. I had a bunch of other things connected at the same time as well (guitar and drum dongles and a mic).

Baker

Banned
tapedeck said:

Not to be an asshole, but did you put the batteries in the turntable?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Could be a defect. I know one of my friends had a defective Guitar Her 3 controller because it wouldn't connect to the dongle like your DJ controller.

LegoDad

I need to buy this, as I can get it for $100, but think its a little overpriced after playing with the game for awhile. I also don't like the feel of the crossfader, its too loose in my opinion.

XiaNaphryz

caliblue15 said:
I need to buy this, as I can get it for $100, but think its a little overpriced after playing with the game for awhile. I also don't like the feel of the crossfader, its too loose in my opinion.
It has to be a bit loose for the harder difficulties. I can see myself having more issues on Hard if it was stiffer.

LegoDad

XiaNaphryz said:
It has to be a bit loose for the harder difficulties. I can see myself having more issues on Hard if it was stiffer.

Well I like how its loose, but not how it's loose in the middle, wish it would stick to the middle a little more, you know what i mean.

XiaNaphryz

caliblue15 said:
Well I like how its loose, but not how it's loose in the middle, wish it would stick to the middle a little more, you know what i mean.
You don't have to go to the exact center for the game to register it being there. You get used to it after the muscle memory picks up where the "middle zone" is.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
called activision, the guy said i should pull my system out of the entertainment center to sync so the dongle isnt near any metal....still not working. I have GH metallica and had no problems with that. Probably have to return it for another one. First time this has happened to me. God Dammit.

XiaNaphryz said:
You don't have to go to the exact center for the game to register it being there. You get used to it after the muscle memory picks up where the "middle zone" is.

I kinda wonder if they should have mentioned this in the tutorial (although I did pick up on it on my own). Once you realize that you don't always have to go "perfect center" all the time, it becomes a lot easier (and the "spikes" become doable). The only time you actually want to go exactly back to the center is if you're waiting and "preparing" yourself for an upcoming crossfader section.

XiaNaphryz

Another review for the OP:

TeamXbox: 8.9/10

Also, 1up you forgot to add these from earlier:

XiaNaphryz said:
2 more reviews:

GameInformer: 9/10 (2nd opinion: 8.75/10)
GamingTrend: 90/100

Tabs

caliblue15 said:
Like XiaNaphryz said, if it was stickier/clickier in the middle it would be a nightmare doing spikes and fast shifts between tracks on harder difficulties.

XiaNaphryz

iMike76 said:
In DJ Hero, go to the Retail Cheats Menu and enter D1G? for Daft Punk bonus stuff and 5rTG for DJ Z-Trip http://bit.ly/Wm6KF

from IGN's Twitter.
It's been posted a few times. Maybe should be added to the OP?

Any other cheats uncovered yet? I want to see how Hyperspeed is in this.

Killer

Banned
So do you guys recommend getting this game? is the price justified or should i wait for price drop? oh and is it a good game for more than 1 player?

Killer said:
So do you guys recommend getting this game? is the price justified or should i wait for price drop? oh and is it a good game for more than 1 player?
I recommend it, even @ $120. It really is a lot of fun, and if you like a good portion of the artists then the game will be even better for you. I actually only care for a handful of artists in the game, but the mixes are so well done that it makes them a blast to play. I haven't tried the guitar and turntable co-op, but this game's focus is definitely solo play.

Triz

PS3 version and i have issues during songs where it freezes for about .5 seconds and will fuck up my combo every damn time. Doesent happen every song but about 1/5 songs.

Killer

Banned
Classic_Gs said:
I recommend it, even @ $120. It really is a lot of fun, and if you like a good portion of the artists then the game will be even better for you. I actually only care for a handful of artists in the game, but the mixes are so well done that it makes them a blast to play. I haven't tried the guitar and turntable co-op, but this game's focus is definitely solo play.

I broke down and bought it from amazon. let's hope its worth it..

Fixed1979

Triz said:
PS3 version and i have issues during songs where it freezes for about .5 seconds and will fuck up my combo every damn time. Doesent happen every song but about 1/5 songs.

This is pretty much the same thing I had happen to me. I haven't replayed any songs as of yet, so I'm not sure if it's related to the song or if it's a random glitch. Pretty anoying though.

kaskade

Even though I'm not getting as many stars on hard it's still way way way more fun to play like that. I think this game is going to give me Carpel Tunnel though.

NaviLink

Is anyone attending the launch event tomorrow in London ? I'll be there, so if you're a going too, it would be nice to have someone from gaf to talk to.

Damn, just got a 379 streak on one of the J. Period mixes (Q-Tip/Billy Squier, Hard difficulty). I don't know if the song was really that easy or was I just in the zone :lol

Ranked 17 as well, heh.

edit: I can't wait for someone to come over so they can yell "BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK" into the microphone when I rewind

Bigfoot

Wow, the reviews look good (aside from the G4 review... they seem to be the only ones that didn't like it).

I haven't been keeping up, but after reading some reviews, reading this thread, and watching some vids, this is going on the Christmas list. Glad I decided to check out this thread.

kaskade

Porthos said:
Wow, the reviews look good (aside from the G4 review... they seem to be the only ones that didn't like it).

I haven't been keeping up, but after reading some reviews, reading this thread, and watching some vids, this is going on the Christmas list. Glad I decided to check out this thread.
Your future self thanks you.

Top Bottom