• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

Fixed1979

AVclub said:
Wow. I can't believe all the gushing in here about this game. I played it for about 15 minutes at Best Buy. The tutorial taught me everything I needed to know. So I tried a three song set on medium. I don't like that the fader has only three required positions in the game, but slides freely all over the place. So when it's supposed to go in the middle, I sometimes don't click it in there all the way and have to move it slightly in either direction to correct it. With the way it is utilized in the game, it really should just be a three position switch, not a slider.

Speaking of loose for no reason, the turntable buttons are ass-tastic. Having to press buttons in time to the music on a free floating disc is repetative stress injuries just waiting to happen. In my brief play, I find myself pushing down on the turntable where there was no button because it had moved, several times. Scratching, pressing, and keeping the buttons in place all at the same time is a pain in the wrist. If the buttons are going to move around, at the very least they should have some sort of rubberized traction on them so that you can maintain some sort of control of them.

I really like the music in this game, but I wish the interface was better. Also, if I was on the fence before about whether to get it or not, the price of the DLC has just pushed me off of it. There's no way a single song (or even two mashed together) is worth $8 when you can buy an entire mix CD for $10 to $15.

The slider has been discussed before, I do think it can be improved upon. However I don't think a three position switch is the answer. I find myself getting used to it now and I only run into trouble with some of the quick multiple switches. I think it's still mostly me who's messing up though.

That's the first complaint I've heard about the buttons moving. I keep my fingers on the buttons at all times and I've never lost them (except a couple times on the rewind).

The cost of the DLC is definately disapointing, I can understand why it's a higher cost. But after paying 1.99 for so long it's definately a hard pill to swallow.

Liberty4all

Banned
Wow almost kinda spooky,

I hadn't been paying attention to DJ Hero at all until literally today when I started browsing this thread while at work. Started thinking about where the hell I was going to get 120 dollars (probaly more here in Canada)

Wife calls me on phone "A big package just arrived for you" ... (I do gaming reviews)

Life's good :D

Baker

Banned
Bamelin said:
Wow almost kinda spooky,

I hadn't been paying attention to DJ Hero at all until literally today when I started browsing this thread while at work. Started thinking about where the hell I was going to get 120 dollars (probaly more here in Canada)

Wife calls me on phone "A big package just arrived for you" ... (I do gaming reviews)

Life's good :D
It's probably that Dante's Inferno rickroll. :lol

I actually enjoyed how the cross fade works. I figured it was one of the skills required of a DJ, but I could be wrong. Do they even have the slight center notch?

Of course you could argue that a DJ doesn't fail when you overshoot with the cross fader. A 3 way switch would feel closer to what they did with the guitar hero guitars. I personally think it is better with the extra difficulty of the cross fade as is. The guitar hero guitars were too simple, and the game became about insane chart notes rather than being insane on the peripheral.

Jtrizzy

AVclub said:
Wow. I can't believe all the gushing in here about this game. I played it for about 15 minutes at Best Buy. The tutorial taught me everything I needed to know. So I tried a three song set on medium. I don't like that the fader has only three required positions in the game, but slides freely all over the place. So when it's supposed to go in the middle, I sometimes don't click it in there all the way and have to move it slightly in either direction to correct it. With the way it is utilized in the game, it really should just be a three position switch, not a slider.

Speaking of loose for no reason, the turntable buttons are ass-tastic. Having to press buttons in time to the music on a free floating disc is repetative stress injuries just waiting to happen. In my brief play, I find myself pushing down on the turntable where there was no button because it had moved, several times. Scratching, pressing, and keeping the buttons in place all at the same time is a pain in the wrist. If the buttons are going to move around, at the very least they should have some sort of rubberized traction on them so that you can maintain some sort of control of them.

I really like the music in this game, but I wish the interface was better. Also, if I was on the fence before about whether to get it or not, the price of the DLC has just pushed me off of it. There's no way a single song (or even two mashed together) is worth $8 when you can buy an entire mix CD for $10 to $15.

with the CF, it doesn't actually have to click back into the middle to count, that said, I agree that it's a little too hard at times. As far as fingers slipping, I put the buttons on the outside and had more success. The green button does seem to be the better than the blue one for scratching, regardless of how you set it up.

Liberty4all

Banned
Baker said:
It's probably that Dante's Inferno rickroll. :lol

bwahaha

Funny you mention that, I normally ask my wife not to open these packages until I get home HOWEVER, I'd heard about the whole Dante thing.

Suffice to say it I asked her to open the package so I wouldn't have to agonize all day today at work.

Riskbreaker23 said:
it does matter if they have to license it or not. i can buy a complete game for $6.

Really? Yeah you can, but some people would get more enjoyment out of some new tracks. I think its reasonable, especially since they are actually creating new music and licensing two songs for each track. But you could argue that RB/GH have 4 different charts for two dollars. Either way I don't think the DJ hero DLC will be nearly as steady as RB/GH so I have no problem paying these prices with these factors in mind.

ravien56

Terrordactyl said:
Really? Yeah you can, but some people would get more enjoyment out of some new tracks. I think its reasonable, especially since they are actually creating new music and licensing two songs for each track. But you could argue that RB/GH have 4 different charts for two dollars. Either way I don't think the DJ hero DLC will be nearly as steady as RB/GH so I have no problem paying these prices with these factors in mind.
How do you like it so far man?

Argyle

Class_A_Ninja said:
I actually enjoyed how the cross fade works. I figured it was one of the skills required of a DJ, but I could be wrong. Do they even have the slight center notch?

Of course you could argue that a DJ doesn't fail when you overshoot with the cross fader. A 3 way switch would feel closer to what they did with the guitar hero guitars. I personally think it is better with the extra difficulty of the cross fade as is. The guitar hero guitars were too simple, and the game became about insane chart notes rather than being insane on the peripheral.

They do not. DJs generally want their crossfaders to move as smoothly as possible, with minimal resistance.

A three way toggle switch would make the fader spikes much harder as well.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Argyle said:
They do not. DJs generally want their crossfaders to move as smoothly as possible, with minimal resistance.

A three way toggle switch would make the fader spikes much harder as well.

Not necessarily true. They sell mixers with the click in the middle. I say the split that I have seen is about 60/40, with the smooth crossfader leading. For this game where identifying the true middle is pretty important, I can see why they chose to use one with the click. If it is anything like a real mixer crossfader, with increased play, the click will gradually start to fade anyway. If they had a switch instead of a crossfader, this would look ridiculous.

As far as the DLC costs, they are paying for the 2 songs and then for the mix, so I can understand the increased price. The songs didn't just mix themselves. As per usual, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

it can't be said enough: if you're trying to move the crossfader back to "perfect center" every single time, you're doing it wrong, lol. In fairness, it seems slightly unintuitive at first (the game has 3 digital states, therefore it should be a digital click!), but it makes sense once you get to harder difficulties.

The only time you want to hit dead center is when the song is gonna be there for a while, and you're "resting" a bit. Otherwise, you just want quick swipes. As long as it senses enough momentum in a certain direction, it'll move onscreen, regardless of whether or not it's actually at the center.

ravien56 said:
How do you like it so far man?

I like it a lot. Probably took 70 of the 90 songs for me to get good and consistantly 5 star on hard. I've started through on expert and it's a lot more rewarding. The first few sets on expert are cake though, but they are still a lot of fun. It's hard for me not to recommend this game to everyone because I'm having so much fun with it, but the learning curve is steep, which really isn't a problem to hard core rhythm gamers, but my friends that game occasionally would really struggle and probably never play the game on expert, which is how all rhythm games are meant to be played IMO.

Nemesis556 said:
A complete game for $6?

Seriously?

(Why is no one playing online *cry*)

not sure if you are trying to be sarcastic but PS1 games are $6. Critter Crunch is $8 which wouldnt even be 3 songs based on this pricing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
dreamcastmaster said:
I don't think you can play Guitar Solo in this game. If I'm wrong let me know how to do it.
Maybe I should've been more clear - the DJ part goes on auto-play if you go in and play just guitar.

Riskbreaker23 said:
not sure if you are trying to be sarcastic but PS1 games are $6. Critter Crunch is $8 which wouldnt even be 3 songs based on this pricing.
Are you seriously comparing PS1 games to DLC of licensed music for a newly released title?

Fixed1979

Riskbreaker23 said:

The following DLC is three songs for $8...not that it makes it much better.

XiaNaphryz

A mainstream DJ Hero article from a local paper near here:

'DJ Hero' could inspire a new generation of DJs
By Gieson Cacho
Contra Costa Times
Posted: 10/29/2009 01:00:00 AM PDT
Updated: 10/29/2009 04:36:30 AM PDT

Sam Maxion knew he wanted to be a DJ when he was 12. "I was at a wedding and seeing a DJ doing his thing," he says. "I was mesmerized." That moment sparked a career that's led him to learn the art as a teenager with disc jockey crews. It has opened up doors to stints at radio stations in San Francisco, Phoenix and Hawaii as an adult. Now, Maxion produces music and spins records at East Bay clubs.

But with all that experience, somehow he's found himself back at square one. The professional DJ is in the same boat as thousands of wannabe beat mixers: He's learning to play "DJ Hero." The latest addition to the "Guitar Hero" family crosses a major boundary. Since its inception, the franchise has focused on rock. It rarely has gone outside the established gameplay of guitar, vocals and drums.

But with "DJ Hero," released this week, Activision's FreeStyleGames studio ventures into uncharted territory. The developer takes that music-rhythm formula and applies it to hip-hop, the dominant form of pop music for the past two decades. It introduces players to a turntable controller that captures the spirit of spinning records in the same way "Guitar Hero's" plastic instruments emulates shredding on an ax.

If this catches on, the ramifications could be just as big as the 2005 original. Activision's music franchise has made more than $2 billion in its lifetime and changed the music landscape so bands such as Metallica and Van Halen clamor for their own editions. "DJ Hero" taps a new vein of music and potentially stretches the game genre's reach. It even could create a whole new generation of disc jockeys.

"DJing in the past has always been something you learned by trade," says Troy Farol, owner of the DJ Arts Academy in South San Francisco. "You learned on your own. You had a friend or family member that DJs and you tag along with them and learn. It's not necessarily something you can learn pretty easily. It's inaccessible. With 'DJ Hero,' it provides somewhat a type of access." He hopes that the game's impact will ripple onto his school. He imagines a scenario where those who play it will want to move to the next level.

On the retail side, Chad Zammuto, manager of Guitar Center in Concord, has the same sentiment. The retailer, who also will sell the game, says he saw more interest in their instruments after "Guitar Hero" came out, and he's expecting the same thing with "DJ Hero." "People who would have never wanted to pick a guitar decide to," he says. "People who thought they were good at the game would be good at real guitar. I think it'll definitely have an effect at inspiring people to become DJs."

FreeStyleGames mimics the experience like this: Players hit buttons on the platter in time with matching jewels crawling down the screen. Players flick the crossfader left and right, switching the music between two record sources. And of course, there's the scratching, represented by lines that run like tire marks on the screen.

Even with a faux turntable for scratching, a crossfader and an effects knob, there are still some elements of the job that the game can't teach. There's beat matching, learning the timing of a scratch and picking records that complement each other. Most importantly, "DJ Hero" can't replicate one element — performance with a live audience.

"Playing the video game is one thing and knowing the equipment, knowing those real life situations — there's nothing like experience, especially playing for the crowd," Farol says. "You have to bring it to the crowd and really provide a good time with music."

Still, Maxion is having a good time with the game. He scratches. His style is relaxed. He aces one lesson and moves on to another. He's not exactly making music — one of his complaints — but he's still enjoying himself. In the evitable sequel, he says he would like to see support for two turntables. That way "you can juggle beats," he says. It'll also make "DJ Hero" more realistic.

It may not be at a wedding, but he can see the game's potential.

"I would think it would open the door for kids," Maxion says. "It's a starting point for novice DJs to get into the real thing."

dankir said:
So worth 130 bucks or for price drop?

I think 99 bucks would have been the sweet spot for a lot of people. If the music and good reviews appeal to you then I would say yes. If you're on the fence wait for a price drop.

dskillzhtown

dreamcastmaster said:
I think 99 bucks would have been the sweet spot for a lot of people. If the music and good reviews appeal to you then I would say yes. If you're on the fence wait for a price drop.

I agree. 99 probably would have been the sweet spot.

99 for standard and 149-159 for the RE.

dskillzhtown said:
I agree. 99 probably would have been the sweet spot.

99 for standard and 149-159 for the RE.
Yea, I agree. If the RE was $149-$159, I definitely would have picked up that version, but $200 was just too much for my wallet.

XiaNaphryz said:
Are you seriously comparing PS1 games to DLC of licensed music for a newly released title?

what? does that not count since it is old? you can get hours out of playing those games vs mins on these songs. most of the ps1 games on PSN had to be re-licensed too that why there are not that many in the US store.

I also gave the example of Critter Crunch which is a new title.

i'm not buying any dlc unless they become a better value (more songs in the pack or they go on sale). you are already paying $120 or $200 for the game. they shouldn't be trying to rape you for $3 a song also but that is just my opinion

Renegade turntable is super nice, but the paint on the side of the turntable is cheap. It's already worn off from where I put my thumb where I scratch.

That's my only complaint with the game.

XiaNaphryz

Riskbreaker23 said:
they shouldn't be trying to rape you for $3 a song also but that is just my opinion
The pricing is justified and understandable. There's licensing fees for the songs used, plus a fee for the professional DJ they use to create the mix of them together. This isn't the same thing as slapping a DLC track up for RB or GH. People may not be receptive to the price structure, but it does make sense why they had to price it like that.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
HE'S A D....J...HEERROOOOO, STAAARS IN HIS EYEEESSSSS!! :D

yes I am a dork

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
mr_square said:
Aw man. Why did you have to say the magic word? I think you just cost me £100...

Be warned that it's not nearly as focused on electronica as Frequency was but it's got a lot of diversity so you should find a lot to enjoy. Just don't blame me if you hate it:)

bryehn

tapedeck said:
HE'S A D....J...HEERROOOOO, STAAARS IN HIS EYEEESSSSS!! :D

yes I am a dork

I was surprised to hear them sing that. One of the best moments in the game for me. But I love that song and was actually working on a "Beatbox Hero" track recently.

1up

XiaNaphryz said:
The pricing is justified and understandable. There's licensing fees for the songs used, plus a fee for the professional DJ they use to create the mix of them together. This isn't the same thing as slapping a DLC track up for RB or GH. People may not be receptive to the price structure, but it does make sense why they had to price it like that.

You and I really need DJ Hero Defense Squad avatars already!

dskillzhtown

Riskbreaker23 said:
i'm not buying any dlc unless they become a better value (more songs in the pack or they go on sale). you are already paying $120 or $200 for the game. they shouldn't be trying to rape you for $3 a song also but that is just my opinion

Hmmm...Irony???

Riskbreaker23 said:
my hands are hurting with anticipation for this game. the selection of music should satisfy most everybody. hopefully activison will support it with a good amount of dlc instead of just getting ready for dj hero 2 next year.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17911714&postcount=699

Riskbreaker23 said:
what? does that not count since it is old? you can get hours out of playing those games vs mins on these songs. most of the ps1 games on PSN had to be re-licensed too that why there are not that many in the US store.

I also gave the example of Critter Crunch which is a new title.

:lol :lol

PS1 games being $6 has nothing to do with quality, and EVERYTHING to do with those games already making back their budgets and expenses at the time of their original release.

If you think Sony/Konami would have released MGS for $10.00 back in the day, you must be out of your mind.

Critter crunch is a nice game and all, but licensing a top ten hit from the original artists costs a hell of a lot of money. Why do you think we didn't see master tracks until Guitar Hero III and Rockband?

XiaNaphryz

Ars Technica review:

A very pleasant surprise, DJ Hero does everything it sets out to do and more. Well done.

The Good

* Excellent selection of music, each one a new composition made up of two tracks
* Controller feels great, works well
* More accessible than it at first appears
* Solid visuals
* Takes the mystery out of mixing, introduces players to new music and a relatively new instrument

The Bad

* Learning how to play can be somewhat daunting
* Can't control the actual sounds, speed of scratching
* Only a few songs work with the guitar
* Not a party game

The Ugly

* The thousands of inevitable sequels if it's a hit, or maybe even worse...
* A lack of experimentation in the future if this doesn't sell

Verdict: Buy

kylej

Banned
Just ended a 250 note streak because I missed the last scratch at the end of one of those long lines

:|

edit. eh it still turned out OK

IMG_0807.JPG

Turntable is starting to click the same way the Guitar Hero controller did. Having tons of fun with this right now.

XiaNaphryz said:
New vid up on the DJ Hero YT channel:

Jazzy Jeff interview

Looks like a long one...18 minutes!

great interview and :lol @ the Will Smith stuff. Paraphrased:

Will Smith: Hey man, we oughta do a reunion tour! It'd be great making music together again!
Jazzy Jeff: Yeah that'd be cool, we should get something going.
Will Smith: Hey man, I just got nominated for another Oscar!
Jazzy Jeff: So much for that tour...

Good to hear they still have a good relationship though.

kaskade

Even though the DLC is expensive I'm going to be buying it. I can't wait to see the NPDs on this though. I'm really curious to how it's been doing.

CAVE343

Yesterday I wasn't even interested in this game, then today at work I checked this thread. Well, I just got back with the Renegade Edition and it's freaking awesome!
The table is worth the extra money for me, it's a great package overall. Will take pictures in the coming days. I just beat the first 3 sets the default difficulty setting and it's kinda easy, so I'm going one difficulty level up.

I didn't expect it to be good, but this game is really awesome, I'm really having a blast and I'm dancing while playing :lol

Top Bottom