• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

newsguy

Man, this game just gave me a great idea. I have my old 720p front projector sitting at home. My bud is having a big halloween party this weekend. I doubt he'll have a DJ there. So I take the 360, DJ Hero, hook it up to the sound sytem... SUCCESS. Music + Entertainment in one package.

Smokey

bad-joey said:
Yesterday I wasn't even interested in this game, then today at work I checked this thread. Well, I just got back with the Renegade Edition and it's freaking awesome!
The table is worth the extra money for me, it's a great package overall. Will take pictures in the coming days. I just beat the first 3 sets the default difficulty setting and it's kinda easy, so I'm going one difficulty level up. I didn't expect it to be good, but this game is really awesome, I'm really having a blast and I'm dancing while playing :lol

it gets harder!

1up i may steal that avatar from you!

Eggo said:

I think I'll get the 1st mix. Not really feelin' the 2nd all that much. Thanks for putting these up.

kylej

Banned
The Where It's At/Can't Truss It mix is like every bus ride I had in high school concentrated into 3 minutes. Odelay and Takes a Nation/Fear of a Black Planet/Apocalypse '91 were on heavy rotation in my janky portable CD player.

ravien56

This game is just so good, the music mashups are done so well. Initial impressions had me hating the slider knob but you can't think of it as a 3 position effect. I originally started on hard but I had to go to medium because I suck:(

Jtrizzy

Still loving the game. BTW what is the orange halo looking thing that shows up sometimes? I'm playing on medium if that makes any difference.

bardia

Man this game is so addictive and awesome. Got it yesterday and beat it today on Hard. Started over again on Expert difficulty plus trying to get 5 stars on any songs I missed.

Jtrizzy said:
Still loving the game. BTW what is the orange halo looking thing that shows up sometimes? I'm playing on medium if that makes any difference.

That's where you need to use the effects dial, you can change the tone of the track for that section. For scoring look for the mulitiplyer to increase when you turn the dial to the right position. That's when you can score the most for that part.

saunderez

dreamcastmaster said:
That's where you need to use the effects dial, you can change the tone of the track for that section. For scoring look for the mulitiplyer to increase when you turn the dial to the right position. That's when you can score the most for that part.
Theres actually a right position? I just thought you turned it until it flashed orange and you kept the multiplier until the end of that section....

saunderez said:
Theres actually a right position? I just thought you turned it until it flashed orange and you kept the multiplier until the end of that section....

When I turn it to the multiplier position it does not keep the multiplier for the whole section, I need to adjust it a little to get the multiplier back. Take a look, I could be wrong about this.

saunderez

dreamcastmaster said:
When I turn it to the multiplier position it does not keep the multiplier for the whole section, I need to adjust it a little to get the multiplier back. Take a look, I could be wrong about this.
I guess I kinda just treat it like a whammy bar so perhaps regular movement throughout the section is what is required....

saunderez said:
I guess I kinda just treat it like a whammy bar so perhaps regular movement throughout the section is what is required....
I'm pretty sure you have to continuously move it for the multiplier to take effect. The teiring in this game is almost as bad as rock band I notices tonight while making a setlist.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I've been out of town since Tuesday (go home tomorrow) and this has been keeping me up at all hours of the night. Forza 3 only has like 15 minutes of playing time since then. The mixes that the DJs made in this game can be considered art because it, at least for in regards to any other game I've ever played, makes me feel like I'm right there in the crowd. The immersion that this game offers is insane and that is a credit to the DJs to created the mixes. About 20 minutes ago, I was walking the aisles of the hotel where I'm staying, going back to my room and I see the graveyard shift guy working, 20 something year old dude. He's like, you are always up, what are you doing. I'm like, playing video games. He asks me what I'm playing, I say DJ Hero and I ask if he would like to check it out. I put it on easy for him and he played the Queen/Daft Punk mix. After his first scratch, he was hooked. Once this game clicks, you get that shit faced grin with the kid in the candy store feeling. It's truly a magical feeling. I'm a hiphop junkie as it is so this was basically like giving heroin, meth or cocaine to an addict.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Yeah I just finished playing the Daft Punk set and that entire playlist is pretty much awesome. The Megamixes were perfect endings, loved those. I hope they add more of their stuff in future DLC/sequels.

I know there are artists I would not "play" their music in another game but in the mixes it does not matter to me. Quickmatch online is a great random play mode and you can see what tunes the other players like.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Gah i would kill to get hold of this game.
How the hell am i gonna hold out till christmas ¬_¬

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
dreamcastmaster said:
Use the evil Gamestop trade in? Work some overtime or pimp your ass on the street! :D

I need to work overtime. Trade ins are a no go seing as i did a bit of a trade in last month and i'm not getting rid of any other games i still have :lol

TwiztidElf

Wow. This game easily gets the surprise awesome of the year award. It wasn't that long ago DJ Hero was getting some serious hate on GAF, now it's nothing but the deserved praise.

Game is epic fun and the soundtrack is insanely good.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Anybody else have turntable issues out of the box? Got my game home, fired it up, it worked during the calibration then *POOF* it was like the turntable platter disappeared.

Kinda strange, but not shocking considering the spotty tech record of the music gaming genre. Returning it today and will hopefully be playing tonight. Can't wait.

EMBee99 said:
Anybody else have turntable issues out of the box? Got my game home, fired it up, it worked during the calibration then *POOF* it was like the turntable platter disappeared.

Kinda strange, but not shocking considering the spotty tech record of the music gaming genre. Returning it today and will hopefully be playing tonight. Can't wait.
Check if the Turntable is tightly docked to the CF unit. It slipped for me once. Just push it back together.

It seems that having the game calibrated correctly is much more crucial to this game than it was to the guitar and band games for me.

I have trouble getting it spot on. The problem seems to be the sound, not the video. The video hovers around 30ms to 50ms for me, so I just split the difference. The audio can be anywhere from 60ms to 140ms depending on how i'm perceiving the moment of the beep.

This game has so many great original track, I'm currently in love with;

M.I.A / Eric B & Rakim
Paper Planes / Eric B Is President.

The tune is stuck in my head, challenging to play as well.

Arpeggio

Banned
Nearly every video that I've watched of DJ Hero tracks indicates that the mash-ups are very jumpy with little flow. There's an insane amount of tension build-up but very little release. There seems to be a ton of scratching, stop-starts, rewinding, drum build-ups, etc. but then the build-up never releases into a straight groove.

Is this because of what the person controlling the table is doing, making too many unnecessary flourishes like the whammy bar bending in Rock Band? Or is that what the songs must sound like when played perfectly?

N1CKOLAS

Neo Member
I know people have already made the references to Frequency and Amplitude, but this game often seems like a homage to these wonderful games.

The game took me a few setlists to get settled in, but my god, this game turns into a drug. Just one more mix man. Rock Band usually requires at least a few beers to get dancing, but first song into DJ Hero and head was bobbing and my feet were tapping. First song in!

Bravo to FreeStyleGames, you have recaptured the magic of music games. It really does feel like that first time playing Guitar Hero years ago.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
TwiztidElf said:
Wow. This game easily gets the surprise awesome of the year award. It wasn't that long ago DJ Hero was getting some serious hate on GAF, now it's nothing but the deserved praise.
Anyone who was following the game's development history and all the interviews and demos from the dev team knew this was going to be good. For everyone else, they just saw the title of the game and Activision as the publisher, and that was enough for them to pass judgement on.

Also, Eurogamer score is up - 8/10! I suspect all the European reviews are going up today.

N1CKOLAS

Neo Member
XiaNaphryz said:
Anyone who was following the game's development history and all the interviews and demos from the dev team knew this was going to be good. For everyone else, they just saw the title of the game and Activision as the publisher, and that was enough for them to pass judgement on.

Guilty. It's a shame that the word Activision prevented me from buying this game sooner.

bryehn

XiaNaphryz said:

In all fairness, B-Boy wasn't very good, so I was a bit skeptical.

N1CKOLAS said:
Guilty. It's a shame that the word Activision prevented me from buying this game sooner.

I know, people want original IP and then don't support it when it's made. Acti hate in action, it's not the devs fault they got brought.

Argyle

Class_A_Ninja said:
It seems that having the game calibrated correctly is much more crucial to this game than it was to the guitar and band games for me.

I have trouble getting it spot on. The problem seems to be the sound, not the video. The video hovers around 30ms to 50ms for me, so I just split the difference. The audio can be anywhere from 60ms to 140ms depending on how i'm perceiving the moment of the beep.

My advice to you is to use Rock Band 2 + RB2 guitar autocalibration if you have it, set your audio lag to be the same as RB2, then manually adjust the video lag until you dial it in (or just play by ear). The in game calibration is nearly worthless.

These last few trophies are driving me insane.

-Double Trouble (bronze)
I won't be getting this until next year.

-Supporting Act/Win Online (bronzes)
No one plays hard online.

-Legendary Status (gold)
Cannot 5-star Noisia and one other one.

-The Grandmaster! (silver)
Thought I could 5-star Noisia and other one on medium and the other songs on hard, but it didn't count.

-Turntable Perfection (gold)
No.

Argyle said:
My advice to you is to use Rock Band 2 + RB2 guitar autocalibration if you have it, set your audio lag to be the same as RB2, then manually adjust the video lag until you dial it in (or just play by ear). The in game calibration is nearly worthless.

Yes, this is correct, GH games give me a 4ms lag setting. DJ gives me a 100ms lag setting that's just so wrong. Using the GH setting works. Go figure.

XiaNaphryz

DrAndonuts said:
These last few trophies are driving me insane.

-Double Trouble (bronze)
I won't be getting this until next year.

-Supporting Act/Win Online (bronzes)
No one plays hard online.

-Legendary Status (gold)
Cannot 5-star Noisia and one other one.

-The Grandmaster! (silver)
Thought I could 5-star Noisia and other one on medium and the other songs on hard, but it didn't count.

-Turntable Perfection (gold)
No.
As time goes on, you'll see more people play Hard and Expert online I'd imagine.

I like how in this game there are 3 different ways to increase your score multiplier:

-Euphoria button
-After a rewind
-Fiddling with the effects dial during the orange bits

Now that I've figured all that out, it's a lot easier to get 5 stars. It's not generally worthwhile to do more than one of these at a time since the multiplier maxes out at x8.

dreamcastmaster said:
Yes, this is correct, GH games give me a 4ms lag setting. DJ gives me a 100ms lag setting that's just so wrong. Using the GH setting works. Go figure.

Ahh darn. I haven't had a copy of guitar hero in forever, and it was on my 360. I still have the guitar for GH2, just no game. I guess the lag would occur as my 5.1 system does it's job, and not systems themselves.

I'll have to play it by ear and eye then. I'm using 5.1 which is a fantastic mix. Its a shame that even if you have selected as an option for ps3, you need to select it in the game menus.

The fact that there are two different things to be calibrated is crushing my brain. The audio and video are completely independent of each other, correct? It's not like lowering the video ms would also make me lower the audio ms. Once I have the video correctly calibrated, it is only a matter of matching up the audio to sound like the beats are occuring when the notes reach.....the thing on the note highway.

Scoring is based on pressing the controller in sync with what is occuring on the video feed alone. Beyond that, just sync up the audio so the beats help you time the moment of the hit. No actual scoring is based off the audio track. Does this sound correct?

Neuromancer said:
I like how in this game there are 3 different ways to increase your score multiplier:

-Euphoria button
-After a rewind
-Fiddling with the effects dial during the orange bits

Now that I've figured all that out, it's a lot easier to get 5 stars. It's not generally worthwhile to do more than one of these at a time since the multiplier maxes out at x8.

The star sytem is based on notes hit, not score. Only rewind helps this.

XiaNaphryz

Class_A_Ninja said:
I'll have to play it by ear and eye then. I'm using 5.1 which is a fantastic mix. Its a shame that even if you have selected as an option for ps3, you need to select it in the game menus.
I can understand why they put it in as a selectable option. Because of their particular setup, some people prefer not to play in surround sound to reduce lag. It gets annoying to have to switch your audio settings in the system settings just to play one game, then switch it back to play other games and/or watch a movie.

Top Bottom