• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
dreamcastmaster said:
The star sytem is based on notes hit, not score. Only rewind helps this.

Is this true? And is this true for other music games (Guitar Hero/Rock Band?) I always thought it was based on score

ravien56

Just played through maybe half the setlist now on medium...and 5 starring a majority of them so at this point I'm feeling pretty cocky so I try one of the earlier songs on hard...and get 2 stars....then on expert, I didn't even bother finishing it because of how bad I did....how the fuck can anyone do expert?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just noticed the game save for this on PS3 can't be copied. Boooo! :(

Wanted to bring an unlocked game save along with me if I ever brought the game elsewhere. It'll be moot once the "unlock all songs" cheat gets out.

Speaking of which, why aren't more cheats leaked out yet? The GH and RB games had their cheats out relatively quickly after release.

tribal24 said:
hmm the olny problem i have with the game so far is that sratching the blue buttons sucks i just find it difficult
Hold your thumb against the side of the turntable for added leverage, once you get used to it blue scratches should be easier.

Also, 1up.com's review is up, they gave it a B.

ravien56

Just read the 1up review...He's being a little too harsh on the song selection. Would it be better if they cut out all the crap instead? I like how many songs this game has.

ravien56 said:
Just read the 1up review...He's being a little too harsh on the song selection. Would it be better if they cut out all the crap instead? I like how many songs this game has.
The only songs I don't like in the game are the Guitar vs DJ mixes, basically all of those sound awful. Everything else is great though.

bryehn

No one on my friends list (360) is playing this. Was hoping to have some leaderboard scores to beat/show off. Feel free to add me (I still haven't done the online achievements) GT: bryehn

ravien56

Hmm...this is actually a pretty smart idea...

"For optimal performance, I had to make my own crude modifications to the Renegade version's deck. First, the fader on the mixer has too much space to operate, which I improved by attaching gaff tape to both ends. This restricted its movement to just the right amount"

XiaNaphryz

ravien56 said:
Hmm...this is actually a pretty smart idea...

"For optimal performance, I had to make my own crude modifications to the Renegade version's deck. First, the fader on the mixer has too much space to operate, which I improved by attaching gaff tape to both ends. This restricted its movement to just the right amount"
That wouldn't work out for me, now that I've gotten used to the crossfader. I can see it helping new players ramp up easier.

dreamcastmaster said:
The star sytem is based on notes hit, not score. Only rewind helps this.
This can't be entirely true - you could hit a pretty good % of the notes and still only score 2 stars if you never got a decent multiplier going for some amount of time in my experience so far.

1up

XiaNaphryz said:
Just noticed the game save for this on PS3 can't be copied. Boooo! :(

Wanted to bring an unlocked game save along with me if I ever brought the game elsewhere. It'll be moot once the "unlock all songs" cheat gets out.

Speaking of which, why aren't more cheats leaked out yet? The GH and RB games had their cheats out relatively quickly after release.

I was wondering the same thing. The default first DJ, (spanish guy) has two costumes that I really want but it doesnt have a star rating to unlock. It just says "Secret Unlock" and its buggin the hell out of me.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
darkressurection said:
The only songs I don't like in the game are the Guitar vs DJ mixes, basically all of those sound awful. Everything else is great though.

Yeah I'm burnt out on rock songs in rhythm games so the guitar vs. mixes are my least favorite.

Oh and I stupidly just learned that during Euphoria the crossfading is automatically done for you. Should help when I move on to Expert. Loading screen tips finally come in handy!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dupy said:
Yeah I'm burnt out on rock songs in rhythm games so the guitar vs. mixes are my least favorite.

Oh and I stupidly just learned that during Euphoria the crossfading is automatically done for you. Should help when I move on to Expert. Loading screen tips finally come in handy!
Yup, just watch out where your crossfader is on the deck when the Europhia ends.

The effects dial on my controller seems to be broken. It worked fine at first, then it started acting wonky and now it seems to be completely dead. Thankfully it's the least important part of the controller, but it still sucks.

tribal24 said:
hmm the olny problem i have with the game so far is that sratching the blue buttons sucks i just find it difficult

I have the same problem. my left arm starts to bother me after awhile of playing. :lol

Bought this yesterday,
amazing game...

One of the achievements made me curious though,
the one about finishing a set with a mic,
how does one go about to get it?

1up

Animation-Imp said:
Bought this yesterday,
amazing game...

One of the achievements made me curious though,
the one about finishing a set with a mic,
how does one go about to get it?

Plug in your Rockband / GH mic and just say anything on it and you'll get the achievement.

2DMention

Banned
I want to get this, but it's a little too expensive for me.

I've been to 3-4 different stores and none of them have sold a single copy.

Do you have to pay to play online for the Wii version?

XiaNaphryz

1up said:
Plug in your Rockband / GH mic and just say anything on it and you'll get the achievement.
You don't even have to say anything. I left my mic plugged in by accident and still got the trophy. Mic probably picked up enough noise from my speakers to register something.

XiaNaphryz said:
You don't even have to say anything. I left my mic plugged in by accident and still got the trophy. Mic probably picked up enough noise from my speakers to register something.

Could you do this achievment with a 360 headset plugged into the deck also?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Man once you get the crossfading down pat, this game opens up bigtime. Im playing on Expert now and HOLY FUCK AT THE DIRECTIONAL SCRATCHING! @_@ Its INSANE. Im getting the hang of it....sort of. And its sooo much more fun than just random scratching on Hard and Normal.

I have to say the Expert difficulty is really the meat of this game, moreso even than guitar hero.

I just got this game and I am really liking it so far but my wife and I seem to have the same problem where we always miss the first note of a scratch, does anyone have any tips on how to fix this. It is a bit frustrating.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
yankeehater said:
I just got this game and I am really liking it so far but my wife and I seem to have the same problem where we always miss the first note of a scratch, does anyone have any tips on how to fix this. It is a bit frustrating.
Make sure you time the button press for a scratch just like you would a regular note, but begin the scratch right after. Try to make it one seemless movement (dont press the button and think ok I need to scratch the track now). Kinda obvious but I hope that helps.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The worst mix is the Monkey Wrench vs. Sabotage.

Just awful. I hate that mix the most. What were thinking!?

tapedeck said:
Make sure you time the button press for a scratch just like you would a regular note, but begin the scratch right after. Try to make it one seemless movement (dont press the button and think ok I need to scratch the track now). Kinda obvious but I hope that helps.

Might also want to take another look at your calibration if you're frequently missing the beginning of them.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Got the game tonight, went straight to expert without even finishing the tutorial...didn't like how it forced medium difficulty on the first mix and I don't really know why it did that but whatever. Sweet game so far, definitely exceeded my expectations. I haven't had much problems with expert except for directional scratching that goes same direction consecutively, it's not pulling it off that's hard but reading the highway. But so far, it's a blast playing each mix and very satisfying when you're pulling every trick with the mixer and rewind functions, squeezing every point you get.

One thing I don't like is in the rock mix set, it shows the guitar track even if you're playing solo. Anyway to turn that off? I get distracted seeing the guitar track and the track position on the screen kinda throw me off.

Just unlocked the Daft Punk set but I think it's time to rest for the night

kaskade

The weakest songs for me have to be the guitar ones. I couldn't really get into them. Basically all of the other ones are fantastic.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
AndyMoogle said:
The effects dial on my controller seems to be broken. It worked fine at first, then it started acting wonky and now it seems to be completely dead. Thankfully it's the least important part of the controller, but it still sucks.

Least important? Every button on the controller is important in this game. Effects dial gives you a free ride on the Euphoria multiplier on those orange tuning bits. It's like the equivalent of the whammy bar except you get the benefits immediately. Plus it's pretty satisfying to go from crossfader -> effects dial -> crossfader

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So... is the Renegade edition worth it? >_>

And is this game good? I haven't been keeping up, but I'm going to go get Ratchet tomorrow and I might pick up DJ Hero. I'm so (so) awesome at Guitar Hero.

kaskade

Wario64 said:
Least important? Every button on the controller is important in this game. Effects dial gives you a free ride on the Euphoria multiplier on those orange tuning bits. It's like the equivalent of the whammy bar except you get the benefits immediately. Plus it's pretty satisfying to go from crossfader -> effects dial -> crossfader
Agreed plus if the part comes before a breakdown you can make the buildup sound cooler. I usually like a low, then slowly start to bring in the high end and it ends up sounding pretty good.

XiaNaphryz

ThePeacemaker02 said:
Agreed plus if the part comes before a breakdown you can make the buildup sound cooler. I usually like a low, then slowly start to bring in the high end and it ends up sounding pretty good.
And once you get to know the layout of a particular track, you can maximize your multiplier. So if there's an effects dial section with a bunch of buttons to tap on the other tracks followed by a long section of button taps, you could kick in euphoria right after to keep the 8x multiplier going, and then when that runs out hit your rewind to do that section again with the 8x multiplier. If the next section afterwards just happens to have another effects dial section, you could keep it going even after that.

Figuring out the optimal scoring path is going to be a lot trickier in this game due to the different ways to keep that multiplier going.

Fucking love the game so far. My only problems of my own so far.

A) Scratching with blue is definitely tougher than with green!
B) Gotta remember to rewind when the crossfader isnt on far left or right!

However, there really needs to be more house/trance in this game! I love hip-hop but man give me a Prdyz, Armin, Atb, ANYTHING track list. DLC please!

Satisfaction and Pjanoo are the shit.

XiaNaphryz

DevelopmentArrested said:
Fucking love the game so far. My only problems of my own so far.

A) Scratching with blue is definitely tougher than with green!
B) Gotta remember to rewind when the crossfader isnt on far left or right!

However, there really needs to be more house/trance in this game! I love hip-hop but man give me a Prdyz, Armin, Atb, ANYTHING track list. DLC please!

Satisfaction and Pjanoo are the shit.
When scratching, be sure you use your thumb on the side of the turntable for extra leverage. It'll help with the blue scratches.

And the next DLC is supposed to be the David Guetta pack.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
To my surprise yesterday, there was a 360 demo stand that was a DJ Hero/Guitar Hero's demo stand with a DJ deck and two guitars - you could from at least 3 Guitar Hero games and DJ Hero, DJ hero having three tracks, including the one mix that got me interested in the game in the first place: Hollaback Girl vs. Give It To Me Baby, which I've practically memorized since I've listened to it so much...

First time finally playing it was more fun than I expected, and my only big problem was the cross-fader - not realizing that it wasn't in the proper position until you hear that embarrassing grinding sound along with no music - everything else registered perfectly though, including scratches...

Best part? The game didn't turn out to be the €120 Euros that I had come to expect based on all of the UK and other EU sites I had seen - it was actually €89 Euros! Much, much easier to bite at that price, and it totally surprised me that it was that much cheaper (although Renegade Edition was still pretty steep at €180 Euros)...

I think I'm gonna bite at that price, especially since I'm going to return my faulty Hauppauge HD PVR which cost me €190 - hopefully it stays at that price till then!

Magik

mr_square said:
Yeah - my effects dial has gone too :(

Same symptoms as above - worked fine at first, but now does nothing!

Okay that worries me. Is this now a common problem with the hardware?

Gav

Bought this yesterday and have been having an awesome time so far. Some of the mixes at the start of the game are a little boring, but they have picked right up and im loving it!

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Wish there were a way to slow down or pick parts of songs. I can't handle directional scratches where in a constant stream there are 2 in the same direction. There isnt really enough to visually distinguish a pattern like this from just a regular up-down-up-down-etc pattern. I need to slow it down and internalize it a couple times, but I don't see any way to do that.

Jtrizzy said:
worst song is the third eye blind/Jackson 5. I wish there was a way to remove it from the menu rotation.
Everyone hates this, but its my favorite mix :(
It's like 'Girlfriend' in burnout paradise all over again for me...I really liked that song but no one else did :(

edit: that jackson 5/third eye blind is one of my favorite mixes to hear, not to play...its too easy.

Oh that reminds me of another problem I have. It seems like on 'hard' difficulty, pretty much regardless of song, there are basically no directional scratches (except maybe at the start or end of a line...single serving directional scratches). The only way to get the hang of the tricky ones is to do the easy songs on expert, but those are way too easy and dont come close to preparing you for when scratches change up multiple times in a single line.

I know it's a bit early but RBDLC is so helpful regarding Rock Band DLC I really hope there will be a DJ Hero DLC equivalent...
Do we already know what will be the next DLC ?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Chû Totoro said:
I know it's a bit early but RBDLC is so helpful regarding Rock Band DLC I really hope there will be a DJ Hero DLC equivalent...
Do we already know what will be the next DLC ?
Yes.
Activision has released the first downloadable content for turntablist opus DJ Hero. Extended Mix Pack 01 features two luxury-length mixes for 480 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live, or £4.79 / €5.99 on PlayStation Network.

The first mix mashes 50 Cent and Mary J. Blige's All Of Me up with Queen's Radio Ga Ga, while the second is a headlong collision between DARE by Gorillaz and the classic Public Enemy cut, Can't Truss It.

The next DJ Hero DLC is a little under a month away. 24th November will see the release of David Guetta Mix Pack 01, featuring three remixes of tunes by the French house DJ. You get When Love Takes Over featuring Kelly Rowland, Sexy Chick feat. Akon and On The Dance Floor feat. will.i.am and apl.de.ap (stop it now) of the Black Eyed Peas. The pack hasn't been priced yet.

All the Guetta tracks and the two Extended Mixes will be made available as single downloads for the Wii on the 24th.

Thanks.
1 month? It's a bit long but I guess it's better this way. If there had been 1 DLC each week after the release I would have suspected them not putting all the songs on the disc so they can make easy money.
Sure 5,99€ is too expensive (if this price stays then I'buy a lot less DJ Hero DLC than RB DLC) but I really want more songs for this game. I can't have enough of it... and every one around me is enjoying it too :D
Now it's time to practice so I can play more song on difficult without destroying half of the mix.

XiaNaphryz

Jtrizzy said:
worst song is the third eye blind/Jackson 5. I wish there was a way to remove it from the menu rotation.
Nah, that Foo Fighters/Beastie Boys track is by far the worst.

If you don't like a particular mix, you can remove it from any setlist rotation. Look for the button prompt at the bottom of the screen.

mr_square said:
Yeah - my effects dial has gone too :(

Same symptoms as above - worked fine at first, but now does nothing!
The next time I played, it worked fine. Don't know why, but I played for a couple of hours and I didn't have any more problems with it.

mr_square

AndyMoogle said:
The next time I played, it worked fine. Don't know why, but I played for a couple of hours and I didn't have any more problems with it.

I've just tried mine again for the first time today, and it's fine now!

Are you on the PS3 version too? Maybe its some weird bug with the wireless controller :\

Dazzyman

Anyone got any tips for hand placements on this (right Handed with turntable on right side) for a newbie? :D

Ive just unboxed mine now (renegade version) and one of the fecking legs is stuck in so waiting on family to get the pliars out of shed for us doh! :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dazzyman said:
Anyone got any tips for hand placements on this (right Handed with turntable on right side) for a newbie? :D

Start practicing putting your thumb on the side of the turntable to get leverage on scratches, especially for the blue scratches. Getting this down early will help a lot later on. This is pretty much the pinky finger of DJ Hero

BigBlackGamer said:
I have the same problem. my left arm starts to bother me after awhile of playing. :lol
You figure it out pretty quickly, the cross fader is no problem at all for me anymore. You need to play on a difficulty that you suck at to get better IMO. Rest your palm on the platter to scratch on blue until you get better. There are few songs I get three stars on expert now, I can almost 5 star ground hog on expert. That rock it song is going to be the hardest to 5 star on expert.

Dazzyman

Wario64 said:
Start practicing putting your thumb on the side of the turntable to get leverage on scratches, especially for the blue scratches. Getting this down early will help a lot later on. This is pretty much the pinky finger of DJ Hero

Cheers m8.

Is it better to have the buttons on the left side or the right for this on the record? Just trying to work out with my hands now if I put the thumb (right hand) on bottom left side of turntable and have the buttons left side above or they are better on right side.

I had a nightmare on BMDXII thats all was all finger and thumbs on that bloody thing :lol

Top Bottom