• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

Remy

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Really, I love this game, but I cannot justify spending $8 on one set of DLC. I know it's 3 songs, and the licensing costs are higher or whatever the excuse is, but I just can't. I mean, that's almost the price I expect to pay for a whole album these days, or an entire XBLA game. Or a month of Netflix.

This got me thinking - Activision has said that because the mixes involve licensing two songs per track, their costs are higher and therefore the DLC cost is higher. But then why is the Dave Guetta pack at the same price point, when those are just his songs and not actually mashups?

btkadams

MrPliskin said:
Does this game support any DLC ala Guitar Hero / Rock Band?
i don't understand how you could play any DLC other than DJ Hero or how you could possibly think so. it works with DJ Hero DLC.
Remy said:
This got me thinking - Activision has said that because the mixes involve licensing two songs per track, their costs are higher and therefore the DLC cost is higher. But then why is the Dave Guetta pack at the same price point, when those are just his songs and not actually mashups?
they still have someone remix them. they are not the original tracks.

Got the David Guetta pack last night. Here's what I think:

"When Love Takes Over" David Guetta featuring Kelly Rowland
One of the best tracks in the whole game.

"Sexy Chick" David Guetta featuring Akon
Pretty decent.

"On The Dance Floor" David Guetta featuring will.i.am and apl.de.ap
Did not care for it at all.

Really wish they made these separate. When will Activision learn? The bundling bothers me a lot more than the price, When Love Takes Over would be worth the $3.

bryehn

Neuromancer said:
Got the David Guetta pack last night. Here's what I think:

One of the best tracks in the whole game.

Pretty decent.

Did not care for it at all.

Really wish they made these separate. When will Activision learn? The bundling bothers me a lot more than the price, When Love Takes Over would be worth the $3.

When Love Takes Over is a good song, too much out-of-place scratching though.

I thought the other two were very good and well-charted. Actually felt like mixing house records at times.

The non-mashup "live remix" format works very well and I hope it continues, hopefully with a few harder-edge acts.

Why For?

Banned
I was a bit disappointed by the Guetta pack.

Was REALLY looking forward to it.

Was hoping for either:

a) More tracks or
b) Mash ups with more of his older stuff

Still ok I guess, but I might hold of on future DLC unless it's really beefed up. Still gonna hang for the inevitable Ministry pack

one_kill

I got to finally test it out today. I like it heaps.

Does anyone have the Wii version? If so, how is it? Are the graphics alright?

Chocoboko

I just got the 360 version in from amazon today. I have been playing non-stop for the past 4 hours. I was kinda skeptical of it but so far I am loving it. It took me a little bit of time to get used to it but now that I do it is so much fun. I really want to play more but I should get some sleep before all the food eating tomorrow. :lol

I'm really hoping enough people pick this up for the holiday season so we can continue to get DLC. I'd hate to see Activision pull a Guitar Hero II on this one and only release a couple tracks on DLC.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Stormwatch said:
I'm really hoping enough people pick this up for the holiday season so we can continue to get DLC. I'd hate to see Activision pull a Guitar Hero II on this one and only release a couple tracks on DLC.
Well, even if retail sales aren't too great if there's enough regular DLC purchases they may keep going. Income is income.

Aspiring

Picked this up today as it was on special. Just got the normal edition. I could not justify spending an extra $180 on the Renegade edition.
Anyways, bought the 2 DLC packs and man is this game unexpeted. The missus and I are having a blast. So much fun. I am a Harmonix fanboy and have never touched a "Hero" product except 3 before, and i am stunned. Amazing game and so much fun. I hope they continue to release lots of DLC for it.

Hope more people buy it as i got in on PS3 and struggled to find an online game. And when i did, i got hammered anyway :lol

EDIT: Is the Renegade turntable the same size as the regular turntable? If so why is the box 5 times bigger? The stand and CD doesnt take that much room does it???

I was hoping that the stars for the songs relied on the difficulty you picked (Expert you can get the max 5 stars. Hard - 4. Med - 3)

I hope they get more DLC out. Oh well. I started with hard. it's challenging and trying to slide left/right is annoying as i can't tell when to do it :lol. lots of fun. Going to play hardcore for 25 days until it breaks and get an exchange at best buy for a new one :lol.

markatisu

My wife got me the Renegade Edition (Wii) for Christmas, I played the demo out at Best Buy and fell in love with it (then again I am a Hero whore so it was not a hard sell)

I really think price is the thing that is holding this back

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
DMPrince said:
it's challenging and trying to slide left/right is annoying as i can't tell when to do it :lol. lots of fun.
Think of the crossfade as another button tap in terms of timing. It's easier when there's a button tap at the same time as the cross-fade - the fade and button tap should be simultaneous.

Does that make any sense?

oh. that's why. i've always done it early because i didn't know how much room i had to do it in terms of timing it right :D

And I have an annoyance with the crowd. WTF is up with the low res pixelated crowd on the ps3 version? I don't know which but i think it was the Urban Party Stage. Oh god. so ugly.

tmarques

I bought a PS3 last night and I'm about to order DJ Hero. Is there any reason I should go with the 360 version? If they are identical, I guess I'll get the PS3 version to justify the new console.

(I swear i'm not troll bating!)

MrPliskin

Banned
btkadams said:
i don't understand how you could play any DLC other than DJ Hero or how you could possibly think so. it works with DJ Hero DLC.

That's not what I meant.

I said does / will it have dlc a la Guitar Hero / Rock Band. That means "in the style or manner of". Basically, will this game be as supported as Guitar Hero and Rock Band, or not?

I decided to wait for the inevitable bottom out price drop and pick it up on the super cheap when lots of DLC is available.

Jtrizzy

I'd go with the PS3 version. Both have DD 5.1, but I've always felt the sound output from my PS3 is generally superior to my 360.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
tmarques said:
I bought a PS3 last night and I'm about to order DJ Hero. Is there any reason I should go with the 360 version? If they are identical, I guess I'll get the PS3 version to justify the new console.

(I swear i'm not troll bating!)

They are exactly the same. I haven't heard of any differences. I would guess the PS3 would require the wireless dongle.

MrPliskin

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
Nope...the 360 version is dongle-less.

huh, I wonder what kind of deal Activision has with MS to use their wireless technology? I thought MS wouldn't allow anyone to use it?

This could quite possibly get me to get it on 360 instead. I got World Tour on PS3 extra cheap, and I hate having a handful of dongles to take around if I go to someone's house w/it.

MrPliskin said:
huh, I wonder what kind of deal Activision has with MS to use their wireless technology? I thought MS wouldn't allow anyone to use it?

This could quite possibly get me to get it on 360 instead. I got World Tour on PS3 extra cheap, and I hate having a handful of dongles to take around if I go to someone's house w/it.

yeah but come on. you know you like having it all plugged into the ps3 hanging like a dong (Zing!)

Been playing the Guerra pack. Here are my thoughts:

Fantastic track. Kept 4-starring it, but finally got 5 on expert. Didn't mind replaying it so many times.

Pretty great as well.

Meh. Wasn't a fan.

LCfiner

MrPliskin said:

Harmonix must have the same deal too.

I think MS had no choice but to allow these companies to use the wireless tech as they couldn’t be the one console with wired band instruments while the PS3 and Wii had cool wireless ones.

mr stroke

quick question-

getting this for the family as an x-mas gift, is it worth it to buy two games(for second turntable) for multiplayer? can every song/mode be played with two people?

TheChaos

Neuromancer said:
I find that's almost always the case with most mashups, outside of this game as well.

This has to do with a vast majority of the mashup songs with strong vocal tracks that don't mesh well (The Jackson 5/Third Eye Blind one is the worst offender). I found the best tracks to be the ones with dance music mixed in with a vocal song, so that they don't sound god-awful when you play them together aat the exact same time.

mr stroke said:
quick question-

getting this for the family as an x-mas gift, is it worth it to buy two games(for second turntable) for multiplayer? can every song/mode be played with two people?

you can buy the decks solo now, i'd do that

neorej

ERMYGERD!
MrPliskin said:

MS allows third party controllers, but only after the third parties send in schematics for their controller. If MS decides that the controller is no threat to their own controller, they allow it. In the case of guitars, drums and DJ decks, yeah, I can't really see myself playing Gears of War with a scratchdeck (although Forza's rewind-function would be pretty sweet to do with the turntable).

Sony allows third-party controllers via Bluetooth, no problem, but for some reason, music-controllerdevs go for an RF-controller through USB-dongle.

Aspiring

Is there any chance of some actual dance tracks appearing as DLC. I am loving this game but dont like the fact that its mainly all hip hop. Some good dance/trance tracks would be amazing.

Also i got thinking, why the fuck does Activision not just licence the Jet Grind Radio soundtrack. Man that would be uterly amazing in this game. Let Mom Sleep sounds like it would be perfect. I can dream . . .

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Aspiring said:
Is there any chance of some actual dance tracks appearing as DLC. I am loving this game but dont like the fact that its mainly all hip hop. Some good dance/trance tracks would be amazing.

Also i got thinking, why the fuck does Activision not just licence the Jet Grind Radio soundtrack. Man that would be uterly amazing in this game. Let Mom Sleep sounds like it would be perfect. I can dream . . .

Erm, David Guetta is pretty much considered dance...

Aspiring

Sorry but i would not consider Sexy Chick dance music. I mean REAL Techno/Dance/Trance.

Ultra Sonic

Check Your Head
Annihilating Rhythm Part 1 & 2
Obsession

Scooter - I'm Raving

Happy Hardcore - I Cant Stop Raving

The games got sooo much potential but seems to be tied down to American Hip Hop style scratching. It need some amazing Rave songs, mixed with whatever.

Here Wild FM 7 Megamix. Take a listen. This is a great mashup and we need more songs like this in the game rather than the hiphop style in it. Just my 2 cents.

Aspiring

Chû Totoro said:
That song made my hears bleed.
We sure have really different tastes.

I'd rather go with that The Beastles...

But again thats more of the hip hop style. Yeah we have different tastes. But im sure the Euro crowd would appreciate the Dance/Trance style music like i posted. I prefer the Euro dance style to the more american hip hop style. At least a couple of songs would be sweet.

So I don't know how many people reading this thread don't have the game, but this weekend's Gamestop flyer has regular edition of DJ Hero dropped down to $100 on PSWii60 and $80 on PS2. Looks like this is a permanent price drop, too.

Bomba?

I AM JOHN! said:
So I don't know how many people reading this thread don't have the game, but this weekend's Gamestop flyer has regular edition of DJ Hero dropped down to $100 on PSWii60 and $80 on PS2. Looks like this is a permanent price drop, too.

Bomba?

good. it's weird that 360/wii went down to 100 while ps3 was still 119 for this week. glad my friend didn't get the gift card yet. this is good news for him and me.

mr stroke

scurrminator said:
you can buy the decks solo now, i'd do that

thanks

it looks like you can buy stand alone turntables on Guitar Hero store for $69.99 now(way over priced IMO)

is it worth it though?

can I play every mode/song with two people? or is it select songs like using a second guitar?

Top Bottom