• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

jamesinclair said:
Guetta is the day 1 DLC.

Which is how they lost my sale. It should be in the game, not DLC

come on now, the game has 93 mixes on the disc. Some made the cut, others didn't.
I'm ALL FOR Good Tracks as DLC, if it means more "mainstream" acts need to be on disc to bring in the casuals.

1up

Manmademan said:
come on now, the game has 93 mixes on the disc. Some made the cut, others didn't.
I'm ALL FOR Good Tracks as DLC, if it means more "mainstream" acts need to be on disc to bring in the casuals.

Rock Band 1 started with 58 songs, Guitar Hero 1 started with 47 songs. We are spoiled!

kaskade

The David Guetta songs songs are: When Love Takes Over, On The Dance Floor, and Sexy Bitch. I'll probably end up buying them.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Fuck! When love takes over is fucking awesome. I need to get a point card now. Getting two turntables. Renegade and a regular.

kylej

Banned
fuckkkkkkkkkkkkk I think the carrying case and all the other Renegade Edition extras are super lame but I want that sexy controller. Wish there was a $140 package with the game and the Renegade turntable :/

MoeB said:
Wow where can I get the 2Pac vs. The Aranbee Pop Symphony Orchestra remix? It's so epic.
All of the mixes are exclusive to the game ATM. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them purchasable in the future, it is activision afterall.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Terrordactyl said:
All of the mixes are exclusive to the game ATM. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them purchasable in the future, it is activision afterall.
I'm sure soundtrack rips from the game itself will go up sometime soon anyway.

Manmademan said:

Im not really feeling the current setlist. And as a PS2 gamer....if its not in the main setlist, it does not exist.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Played this at TRU and it was fun, but I fucking sucked. It's going to be hard listening to people who judge this based on their first time store demo.

It's just very different than the music games that the public have been used to.

But it's good stuff. Definitely getting it. Shame about the RE being fucking $200 though. I think I might be able to get it for like $160 at work though.

As there been pics posted anywhere on what the Wii turntable looks like? Last I remember hearing they were going to have a slot to stick the whole Wiimote in the top where the other versions have the buttons.

kaskade

I played it in best buy for a little bit, I got kind of OK at medium, like 3 stars. People were definitely looking though. Some guy started asking me questions about it, I noticed not many people cared when no one was on it but once they saw someone playing it they checked it out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ThePeacemaker02 said:
I played it in best buy for a little bit, I got kind of OK at medium, like 3 stars. People were definitely looking though. Some guy started asking me questions about it, I noticed not many people cared when no one was on it but once they saw someone playing it they checked it out.
I tried it in best buy too, but I really didn't enjoy it. Maybe I just need more practice though.

kaskade

I found out today the walmart near me is having a midnight launch of the game. Looks like this may be my first midnight release.

kylej

Banned
ThePeacemaker02 said:
I found out today the walmart near me is having a midnight launch of the game. Looks like this may be my first midnight release.

Wow. I guess I'm underestimating how popular this thing is going to be.

I played it in a best buy today. I said meh. It's more fun on hard, but still kinda dull.

Better than the hatred i had for it previous to playing, but still a long way from making this something I'd want even for free.

XiaNaphryz

ThePeacemaker02 said:
Some Best Buys are also having a dual DJ Hero/Tekken 6 midnight release I think.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
XiaNaphryz said:
Anyone know when reviews will start getting posted? I'm assuming it'll be today at some point.

I doubt it. Guitar Hero 5 didn't have reviews out until noon on the day of release, I think.

bunker

Classic_Gs said:
Agreed, what the hell happened with Kaleidoscope?

Louder Than Boom is pretty solid. The rest of the album is pretty meh.

Would love to see some of his earlier stuff in the game though.

XiaNaphryz

Wario64 said:
I doubt it. Guitar Hero 5 didn't have reviews out until noon on the day of release, I think.
Figures. Is this a recent trend, with reviews not going out until release day, or just specific to Activision published titles?

Stormwatch said:
There seems to be a lot of Guitar Hero drum sets laying around in their office. I guess they must be hard at work on the sequel which will allow a drummer to play along ;)

Pretty Lights DLC confirmed

l_435c344badc71a8c39273ffdc8ed8ab2.png

Chairhome

So, I have newfound interest in this game after looking at the tracklist and playing the game at Best Buy, though I'll probably be waiting on a sale because of all the games I've been buying and not playing lately :-/. Just wondering, how is the DJ + Guitar gameplay? The guitar just plays guitar alongside the DJ? Does it add guitar riffs to the track, or is the guitar player just playing pre-existing notes that would automatically play if he were not present?

Chairhome said:
So, I have newfound interest in this game after looking at the tracklist and playing the game at Best Buy, though I'll probably be waiting on a sale because of all the games I've been buying and not playing lately :-/. Just wondering, how is the DJ + Guitar gameplay? The guitar just plays guitar alongside the DJ? Does it add guitar riffs to the track, or is the guitar player just playing pre-existing notes that would automatically play if he were not present?

Pretty sure it's option 2.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Classic_Gs said:
Agreed, what the hell happened with Kaleidoscope?

Good fucking question. I highly doubt we'll get anything even close to "In My Memory" or ISOS3 again :(

Man I was looking at the other DJ Hero thread that is on the front page and it makes me real sad that Freestyle Games is associated with Activision. So many people want this game to bomb (and even I am starting to really hate Acti) but the devs made a really cool new rhythm game and people want it to fail just so Activision gets hurt. Hopefully Freestyle stays OK if the game does less than stellar.

kylej

Banned
darkressurection said:
Man I was looking at the other DJ Hero thread that is on the front page and it makes me real sad that Freestyle Games is associated with Activision. So many people want this game to bomb (and even I am starting to really hate Acti) but the devs made a really cool new rhythm game and people want it to fail just so Activision gets hurt. Hopefully Freestyle stays OK if the game does less than stellar.

Also I believe Freestyle was working on the game for years before Activision started funding them.

Preorder placed for the first time in years. Had to use up an ancient Gamestop giftcard so might as well guarantee a copy.

kylej said:
Also I believe Freestyle was working on the game for years before Activision started funding them.

Preorder placed for the first time in years. Had to use up an ancient Gamestop giftcard so might as well guarantee a copy.

Yeah, it was originally a Vivendi game, I think.

You can play it in GAME, where I learnt that the game should really let you fail. People need to be told they suck at times.

Feels a bit fiddly, getting the hang of the crossfader and where you are on it will take some practice.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
JonathanEx said:
You can play it in GAME, where I learnt that the game should really let you fail. People need to be told they suck at times.

Feels a bit fiddly, getting the hang of the crossfader and where you are on it will take some practice.

Yeah finding the middle of the Cross Fader was an issue when I started playing it at Best Buy.

My post from the other thread:

Played it at Best Buy this weekend... it was fun... but I don't know that it was $120 worth of fun... I kinda agree with a previous comment made in this thread... wish it was straight hip hop music mixes.. and not mixes with pop and other genres...

AHAHAHA

You know the Music Hub? Mysteriously, I just got an email from PR bragging that IGN have the exclusive review. Can't think how they negotiated that.

Goes live in 20 mins.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
JonathanEx said:
AHAHAHA

You know the Music Hub? Mysteriously, I just got an email from PR bragging that IGN have the exclusive review. Can't think how they negotiated that.

Goes live in 20 mins.

9.5 review confirmed

JonathanEx said:
AHAHAHA

Goes live in 20 mins.

The same IGN that gave GH:Van Halen a 4.9? Shoulda blocked them.

Also, thought I'd say, still got my preorder on it.

I don't think I felt like I was having that much "fun" with DJ Hero, as there's much more of a learning curve so the 3 songs I played, it was very much trying to get the hang of it (and I swear my timing was better than the game thought :mad: ) so I didn't get to really 'enjoy' it so much. I hope it'll come with time.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Played it last night and didnt like it. I've DJed for about 10 years now and this just made me want to hit the decks for real. Actually... after about an hour of playing we went and scratched for 3 hrs. lol

Anyway, I think it's just me though, over all I think most people will enjoy playing it esp those who arent DJs. Everytime I've been to Best Buy for the past couple weeks there has been a fat line of ppl waiting to play..

The learning curve seems a bit steep compared to Guitar Hero and shit like that though. The whole cross fading bit is pretty hard to follow imo.

entremet

Kinda sucks that this game isn't getting that much love. It has revitalized my interest in music games again. This should have been released 3 years ago, when the music game genre was peaking.

kaskade

darkressurection said:
Agreed, I think they were working on the game for a total of 3 years and I believe that Activision bought them only a year ago. It sucks that people are wanting the game to fail. Even though people are saying that the Herl franchise is being milked it seems Freestyle took a new direction, and executed it well as far as I can tell.

haunts said:
The learning curve seems a bit steep compared to Guitar Hero and shit like that though. The whole cross fading bit is pretty hard to follow imo.

People forget that GH was also hard until you learned the button press/strum co-ordination. I still see new players struggle with this.

Top Bottom