• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

Fixed1979

The first time I picked up GH I was like "I gotta do what now?". After awhile it almost became natural. I'm sure it will be the same with this...hopefully.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
dreamcastmaster said:
People forget that GH was also hard until you learned the button press/strum co-ordination. I still see new players struggle with this.

Must juzt be me then.. GH was super easy to pick up, even the drums in rockband were pretty easy and straight forward to learn for me.

The button layout and the goofy fader mechanics on DJ Hero just didnt do it for me. I will say the game is more fun on hard though. Easy and normal are pretty easy to play but also really boring.

dreamcastmaster said:
People forget that GH was also hard until you learned the button press/strum co-ordination. I still see new players struggle with this.
But with this, you have to worry about:
1) hitting "notes"
2) holding the right one and scratching
3) crossfader

It's definitely a more technically complex game, so the learning curve, while hopefully achievable, will probably be steeper.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/103/1038894p1.html

IGN UK: 9.3
Closing Comments
Those quibbles aside though, we're full of praise for FreeStyleGames' sterling work on its inaugural franchise debut. DJ Hero is a beautifully structured experience that understands the rhythm-action genre thoroughly enough to appeal directly to progression-obsessed fans, yet knows how to juggle its goods to offer a music experience that's never frustrating and wears its unpretentious accessibility with pride. Its perfectly-judged difficulty curve ensures there's a richly rewarding sense of accomplishment as you hone your turntable skills and, even if you're just looking for a quick spin, the quality of the game's audio is compelling in itself. Hands-down, it's the most exciting, refreshing music game we've played in ages and, whether on or off the decks, DJ Hero succeeds admirably in its goal to bring people together to party - and isn't that what music's all about?

Remy

Review also kind of touched on the career mode question from the last few pages:

For a start, and brace yourself here, you can't fail in DJ Hero. The game is grouped into 24 sets of songs, the majority locked at the start, each consisting of anywhere between three and five tracks. Once a set begins though, you're going to see it through to the end, with DJ Hero preferring to punish your ears than test your patience with endless retries. At the end of each set, all its songs are unlocked across the various quick play modes and your performance is graded by stars, acting as currency to unlock new sets, characters, stadiums, decks, outfits and more.

Remy said:
Review also kind of touched on the career mode question from the last few pages:
What was wrong with what the standard now seems to be, having everything unlocked in quickplay by default and giving you a linear career mode, with extra bonuses the more stars you get now?
Don't like the sound of the career mode, but we'll see.

Man, I'm being so negative on a game I've paid 90 smackers for.

ElNarez

Banned
Hands-down, it's the most exciting, refreshing music game we've played in ages and, whether on or off the decks, DJ Hero succeeds admirably in its goal to bring people together to party - and isn't that what music's all about?
... People are going to throw parties where one guy's painstakingly trying to play the game while others try to pretend to dance and have fun ? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

JonathanEx said:
What was wrong with what the standard now seems to be, having everything unlocked in quickplay by default and giving you a linear career mode, with extra bonuses the more stars you get now?

There's a cheat menu, so probably an unlock all code.

Remy

JonathanEx said:

I would've preferred everything being unlocked from the start too, but given the whole not-able-to-fail thing, at least the game isn't going to prevent you from unlocking the tracks even if one is terrible at the game.

1up

ElNarez said:
... People are going to throw parties where one guy's painstakingly trying to play the game while others try to pretend to dance and have fun ? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

There's a jukebox mode where you can just have it play a list of songs you want and anyone can jump right in and play. Also you underestimate what drunk people will dance to. Last party I had here we were dancing to the picard song. Nerds....:lol

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
JonathanEx said:
But with this, you have to worry about:
1) hitting "notes"
2) holding the right one and scratching
3) crossfader

It's definitely a more technically complex game, so the learning curve, while hopefully achievable, will probably be steeper.

This is where I am at. It just seems so freaking complicated to do. I used to DJ and this is alot more complicated than the real thing. But I am intrigued by the game and I am wondering if it will get easier with practice.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
dskillzhtown said:
This is where I am at. It just seems so freaking complicated to do. I used to DJ and this is alot more complicated than the real thing. But I am intrigued by the game and I am wondering if it will get easier with practice.
I'm sure it will be, some of the videos uploaded to Youtube already have some people 3 and 4 starring some of the harder Expert tracks.

dskillzhtown said:

My friend said the same thing about playing a guitar compared to Guitar Hero. After trying to get my fingers to hold a chord and my right hand to only strum certain strings, I tell him he's full of shit.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Not being able to fail.... seems weird... shouldn't a no fail mode be a turn on/off option? Why go backwards in that respect?

Also any list yet of what tracks will be available for DLC when the game goes on sale?

Triz

Just traded in a shitton of games to pay for this one. And to think I wasnt going to buy any new music genre games...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Terrordactyl said:
The IGN review cites lack of practice mode as a negative. This makes no sense when you can't fail, I guess they want to slow it down?

Slowing speed down + being able to jump at a certain part of the song is key to practice mode. Looks like you can't do that here.

XiaNaphryz

Wario64 said:
Slowing speed down + being able to jump at a certain part of the song is key to practice mode. Looks like you can't do that here.
Which would be useful for some of the tracks on Expert.

So is tomorrow the on-the-shelf date or ship date?

ElNarez said:

the bar I frequent is already setting up a "DJ hero night" this sunday. :lol :lol

Needless to say I'm going to be doing nothing but furiously practicing all week to prepare :D

God, I cannot wait until tomorrow more reviews get posted. Every other post in the other 2 DJ Hero threads is either bashing the game or "IGN=fucking moneyhat".

XiaNaphryz

DrAndonuts said:
God, I cannot wait until tomorrow more reviews get posted. Every other post in the other 2 DJ Hero threads is either bashing the game or "IGN=fucking moneyhat".
Then you'd just see comments about how all the other reviewers were moneyhatted instead. ;)

Fixed1979

ElNarez said:

We already have plans to have this hooked up (along with RB) at our company x-mas party. I'm not sure why you wouldn't think this would make a fun party game...

ElNarez

Banned
Far less opportunities for sing-alongs, cool rock'n'roll moves and all the like, which has been replaced here by dancing, which is a lot more ankward than singing.

XiaNaphryz

ElNarez said:
Far less opportunities for sing-alongs, cool rock'n'roll moves and all the like, which has been replaced here by dancing, which is a lot more ankward than singing.
Depends on the group. Most people I know would be more comfortable with dancing and find singing awkward. Then again, these same people would probably find DJ Hero's setlist a lot more appealing than any of the GH or RB setlists.

dskillzhtown

XiaNaphryz said:
Which would be useful for some of the tracks on Expert.

So is tomorrow the on-the-shelf date or ship date?

It has already been shipped to stores, so it will be on shelves tomorrow or at midnight if your local store is still open.

You jokers and a few youtube clips have made me go get this game. I actually had about 6 games that I literally hadn't touched in 4 months that I traded in at GS and paid it off. So tomorrow I will have DJ Hero, Forza and Gay Tony at my house.

TaKeRx said:
UPS For me. It sucks cause they always come really late where I live..

Damn, me too. I get all my stuff from Amazon and UPS usually comes at like 5-6 and FedEx comes around 3-4. Oh well...at least tomorrow is supposed to be a nice weather day.

Edit: My order just shipped and it went out FedEx. Lucky me!

kaskade

I'm debating weather or not I want to get it at midnight. I'm scared to go into walmart at that hour. I don't know what creatures lurk there at that hour.

Smokey

Fixed1979 said:
We already have plans to have this hooked up (along with RB) at our company x-mas party. I'm not sure why you wouldn't think this would make a fun party game...

it's because it's not rock/metal music like GH/RB.

and if it's not rock then gaf turns a blind eye.

oh well!

renegade edition pre-ordered and ready to go for tomorrow. this, and the start of the NBA season?! can't wait!:D

dskillzhtown

ThePeacemaker02 said:
I'm debating weather or not I want to get it at midnight. I'm scared to go into walmart at that hour. I don't know what creatures lurk there at that hour.

I can understand that. The Wal-Mart near me is brand new in a great area so I have no problem going there at midnight. Now there is another one a few miles down the freeway that I wouldn't be in day or night because of the area it is in and the thought of being in that parking lot after midnight is a bit scary.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Cool, Game Stop texted me that the game would be available tomorrow AM. Really looking forward to picking it up.

Sadly it looks like the game is in the Activision/music genre crosshairs around here. Trying to stay as far away from those other threads as possible.

XiaNaphryz

dskillzhtown said:
It has already been shipped to stores, so it will be on shelves tomorrow or at midnight if your local store is still open.
So I should be able to just walk in when the store opens and pick up my copy. Excellent.

dskillzhtown

Craziness at the Gamestop midnight launch. I get there at around 11:35 to pick up Forza 3 and the regular edition of DJ Hero. I had been there earlier in the day to trade in some games towards DJ Hero. So I walk in and the manager up there is already selling Forza, Tekken and DJ Hero, not waiting until midnight. I get in line, he gives me my Forza then gives me a Renegade edition of DJ Hero instead of the Regular one I paid for!!!!

Moral dilema for sure. Should I tell him his mistake? Should I just take it? Well, I look at it and it is the PS3 version, so I tell him I reserved the 360 version. I thought he would figure out his mistake when he checked it on his computer, but he didn't. So....

4048552551_9b1fb2c2e9.jpg

Top Bottom