• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ken Masters said:
hearing the plastic smacking noise was a major turn off
It'll probably come down to whether you can tune it out or not. Some people don't mind a clicky strum bar, while others can't stand it and need to use a RB guitar.

Smokey

Ken Masters said:
hearing the plastic smacking noise was a major turn off

Yeah, b/c you're watching somebody else play.

Once you're playing and get into it, I'll doubt you'll notice it.

Sort of like the strum bar for the guitars.

Baker said:
The four star comment reminded me of another question:

Have any previews stated that the inability to fail songs can hinder the "game-iness" of DJ Hero?

Like... It's seems to me it could just turn into a score attack (which I don't care about) instead of having a "holy shit I'm awesome I finally beat expert!" moment.

Does that make sense? I haven't put my after lunch dip in yet so my sentence structures are a bit off. :D
I think you have to get x number of stars to progress. While I agree it takes the gameyness out of it but it makes it more approachable. I think rock band should do this too and not post a score if you fail. I hate turning on no fail for my friends that play beyond their ability.

Baker

Banned
Terrordactyl said:
I think you have to get x number of stars to progress.
Oh ok. As long as that mechanic is in there, that's good in my book.

I thought you could just play every song straight through until the end with no worries about your skills getting better.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Smokey said:
Yeah, b/c you're watching somebody else play.

Once you're playing and get into it, I'll doubt you'll notice it.

Sort of like the strum bar for the guitars.
and when you see people play racing games all you can hear is the analogue stick smacking the plastic surround.

Won't be an issue when actually playing, IMO.

blurrygil

I'm preordered and in like underwear. Being a dj for +10 yrs and a longtime music gamer myself (primarily funky house, hard house, uk hardstyle, trance & electro), I can truly appreciate this title.

I don't care for the RE. I've played both controllers...they're the same minus asthetics. IMHO, the RE looks fugly. That's just me.

I also don't care for the album. The case is slick and good for storage or setup where there's no coffee table or don't want to lap it. But I'm certain those will get produced and sold seperately soon.

As the type of deej I mentioned above, I am fairly satisfied with the track selection. Of course, I wish there was a little Donald Glaude or DJ Dan freshness in there. Or some Erik Morillo, Danny Tenaglia, Dave Aude...etc. Some good electro house that can mash well with some good juggled beats to fit the gameplay. But I'm hoping we'll see that in some DLC.

I'm very excited for this game and hoping Blizzavision does the series right. I don't care for the publisher since the GH/RB splitup...as I feel they really f**ked up the GH series. That's just me. But I am giving them a chance with this as I truly enjoy the gameplay and design. Just don't go out of control with this, Blizz.

Chairhome

Played at Best Buy today. Pretty fun, I'll probably have to wait till the holidays to pick it up cause I'm already picking up way too much gaming goodness. Really fun though.

Baker

Banned
djgil said:
I don't care for the RE. I've played both controllers...they're the same minus asthetics. IMHO, the RE looks fugly. That's just me.
Well damn, you just saved me $80. So even the crossfader is exactly the same between the two versions?

Justin

Are the controllers wireless? I thought that they only came wired up the dongle talk on the last page makes me thing otherwise. :)

Baker

Banned
Justin said:
Are the controllers wireless? I thought that they only came wired up the dongle talk on the last page makes me thing otherwise. :)
They're wireless, that's why the PS3 version needs a dongle.

Only the demo units are wired, you can't buy those.
As for the renegade edition I think it's better. The crossfader and effects dial are metal and the controller itself has a nicer finish. Only bad point being the finger prints on it! I really like it, they play the same though :)
I think the case is a really neat extra.
The end of the day you have a choice, which is better than no choice right! :)

I think it's pretty weak how you can't fail. The most memorable moments in these games for me are the ones where I beat a song I thought wasn't possible. More recently, Eruption in GHVH. Getting 3 stars just isn't the same feeling.

Has anybody said if this game has hyperspeed?

Well if you want all the achievements you still need to five star everything. That's super challenging.
The no fail was done for good reasons if you go research it :)

I can imagine why the decision was made, doesn't mean I think removing any option of failure is a good thing ;) There's something to be said for retrying a song a dozen times and finally beating it.

Fixed1979

I don't know if I could ever train my hands to do that, switch lanes on blue, hit the button on red and scratch forwards (or backwards) on green...at the same time.

Looks so awesome. I can't wait to get better and better at it.

Playing individual songs is huge! They should've said that from the start! Can you play all the songs that way?

I know for a lot of people the concept of a "mashup" is something new, or perhaps not new but unexplored. I invite everyone who is excited about DJ Hero to use last.fm (either on the Xbox update preview if you are so "fortunate", or on the web), to listen to tag "mashup" radio. Fun stuff.

Link:

That being said, money for me is tight right now, and this might be the only game I buy for the rest of the year (renting the others), so I am PUMPED UP for Tuesday!

Nelo Ice

Banned
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I know for a lot of people the concept of a "mashup" is something new, or perhaps not new but unexplored. I invite everyone who is excited about DJ Hero to use last.fm (either on the Xbox update preview if you are so "fortunate", or on the web), to listen to tag "mashup" radio. Fun stuff.

That being said, money for me is tight right now, and this might be the only game I buy for the rest of the year (renting the others), so I am PUMPED UP for Tuesday!

whoa never heard of mashup radio listening to it now on my 360

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
robut said:
Looks so awesome. I can't wait to get better and better at it.

Playing individual songs is huge! They should've said that from the start! Can you play all the songs that way?

Is this really true? I just assumed only certain songs could be played individually (like Rockit above). That would be really awesome if true.

XiaNaphryz

Dupy said:
Is this really true? I just assumed only certain songs could be played individually (like Rockit above). That would be really awesome if true.
It only looks like there's 7 songs that are by themselves if you look through the track list.

Ugh this suuuuucks. I gonna have to wait till Christmas to play this. Asking for the Renegade version...hopefully parents come through.

Played this earlier this week at Toys R Us (the Best Buy near my house never updates it's music game displays) and I really liked it. My only real problem was getting used to where the cross-fader was and moving it around.

Probably get this later in the year/early 2010 once it goes down in price. Daft Punk being in it basically confirmed that I need to get this game.

Nemesis_

I really hope they implement some kind of DLC with Armin, Tiesto and Oakenfold. Has that kind of stuff been confirmed yet or am I jumping the gun a litttttllllleeeee bit too fast? :lol

Boss Man

I work at Best Buy and apparently this thing is going to have a big media push. I know we're going to have an actual DJ come into the store for the release.

I've played with the demo a little bit (while "working") and I'm definitely sold on it. It's Guitar Hero for hip-hop, so if you like that genre and/or Guitar Hero you will love this game. Switching tracks is a little tough with the slider thing, there are three positions (left, middle, right), but there's not much of a click going back and forth. Otherwise it came pretty natural to me on Medium and I'm just starting to get into Rock Band so I'm a beginner to the music games.

Boss Man

tapedeck said:
double damn.

pg2_w_dallascheerleader_195-1.jpg

triple damn.

XiaNaphryz

StateofMind said:
I work at Best Buy and apparently this thing is going to have a big media push. I know we're going to have an actual DJ come into the store for the release.

I've played with the demo a little bit (while "working") and I'm definitely sold on it. It's Guitar Hero for hip-hop, so if you like that genre and/or Guitar Hero you will love this game. Switching tracks is a little tough with the slider thing, there are three positions (left, middle, right), but there's not much of a click going back and forth. Otherwise it came pretty natural to me on Medium and I'm just starting to get into Rock Band so I'm a beginner to the music games.
I think this is the only possible reason for the game to do a lot better than some may have expected if people are willing to pay the high game price. There hasn't really been a music game to go after this demographic.

kaskade

Nemesis556 said:
I really hope they implement some kind of DLC with Armin, Tiesto and Oakenfold. Has that kind of stuff been confirmed yet or am I jumping the gun a litttttllllleeeee bit too fast? :lol
I'm hoping the same thing. I also want some Calvin Harris too, he seems like a perfect fit for the game.

I'm really hoping for some ATB DLC as well. I've got an old Don't Stop vs. Insomnia mp3 that I think would sound awesome in this game.

Remy

XiaNaphryz said:
Thank you for backing me up on this. ;)

Hey, you said A music game, not a good music game!

I also want some Calvin Harris too, he seems like a perfect fit for the game.

He does; I'm holding out some hope, given that Dizzee Rascal is in the game, that we'll see some Calvin some day. Or at least more Dizzee - Tongue N' Cheek is quite good and I would imagine quite mashable.

1up are you going to compile a list of PSN ID's and GT's? None of my friends are buying this game and I know I will want to play competitively, co-op could be cool too although I haven't heard how it works.

Top Bottom