• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

remz

First I heard of that as well. Shame he doesn't look that badass in the game. :lol

Many aspects of Vergil in DmC irritate me.
He very rarely ever showcases 'awesome', if at all
. I'm hoping for Vergil's Downfall to rectify that.

I don't like his chin or his hat, for one.

Ahasverus

Well guys I'm finally playing the game so here are my console player/casual/ultra sucker on dMC impressions

on tech:
- IQ is pretty good for a 360 game, probably the best use of UE3 behind Batman and gears. Looks clean and not blurry, everything is in an aceptable resoution (not comparable to batman but almost) and color palette is crazy godly.
- I don't know if it's magic, motion blur, or some other trick but the game is THE most fluid 30fps game I've ever played, fast and responsive, No it doesn't feel like 60fps but for it not bing janky (quite the contrary) it's a sight to behdold. hats off NT.
- However you could argue it's a nice corridor cause just like ffxiii it's always a path with few branches. Don't know if that,s bad or good here though.
- music is bad and they should fl bad. As an escholar musician it hrts my ears. it doesn't get you pumped, hell you can't even tll wth is going on. also, it's too fucking high i was about to explode.

On Gameplay:
-Holy shit fels like devil may cry. It was as gniune experince as it could be for me (I was kicked in th butt by the first boss in normal, yeah sounds like a devil may cry game for me). That's all I have to say.
- It has a ton of controls to memorize but that's a good thing. button mashing won't get you anywhere here, feels like Lords of Shadow.
-Platfforming sure will be problematic later on (I can feel it) but it's not that bad, think darksiders only whith less margin of error.

And that's all. i want to add that while I've had few exposition to old dante, this guy is likable and surely wil become what people have come to know, writing is not gta oscar worthy but ok enough, above average if anything. and most importantly, the game is fun, lots of fun, it's incredible the feel of making a 60 hit combo 10 minutes after you knew nothing, and you,l get it if you get focused and bgin exploring the game. i'll be Sure playing the rest of the series seriously after this. If anythng, that's the best compliment i could give right now.

Varth

Many aspects of Vergil in DmC irritate me.
He very rarely ever showcases 'awesome', if at all
. I'm hoping for Vergil's Downfall to rectify that.

Yep, if I should point one aspect of the writing that bothers me, is that the point of the character is missed until the very end of the game. The part where he escapes driving strikes me as completely odd. On the other hand, as I noticed before I guess the point was to have chacacters fall in line with expectations only at the end, otherwise it wouldn't make sense as a reboot/origin.

icespide

Banned
all of this talk has made me want to take another look at DMC4. I traded it in forever ago so I picked up a used copy on amazon. looking forward to revisiting it

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
all of this talk has made me want to take another look at DMC4. I traded it in forever ago so I picked up a used copy on amazon. looking forward to revisiting it

If you have a chance, pick it up on PC. It's a fantastic port. Usually Steam sales make it pretty cheap (~$5).

Dahbomb

Video of the DMC3 costume. The footage is fairly late in the game, however. Furnace of Souls mission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HgvYQ7EGMH8
How did he acquire this?

Also there's a shit ton of DMC threads on the main page. Don't know where the REAL discussion is going on.

That is not short. 8 more missions incoming, no backtrack... no asset reuses on background.
Aside from Mission 14 and 16, the rest of the missions are very short. He's nearing the home stretch of the game, probably will complete in 3 hours.

Nemesis_

Pretty far in, I'm backtracking a lot for collectibles so I'll easily exceed the six hours everyone else is reporting.

Before I start I should mention that I was a pretty huge hater who was going to have nothing to do with this game and wanted Capcom to go broke for making such a stupid decision to fund / develop a project like this
then I got a review copy
and I think I really like it (for what it is).

It's a fun game, the combat is nice but it reminds me of the jump between MvsC2 and MvsC3 - in that the mechanics are simplified but it results in a much more accessible and inviting game. It's very apparent when I recognise moves that I pulled off in previous DMC games in DmC however notice that I am pressing significantly less inputs and timing is much more lenient.

The art direction is fantastic, much better than I was expecting and performs rather solidly. Just for fun, I turned on Motionflow to get a "true" feel of 60fps with this game but it felt weird and way too delayed. I guess that's Motionflow's fault though, not the game :p

Generally speaking, I think it's a great game and Dante is growing on me. My biggest problem? It's way too fucking easy to get a SSS and way too fucking easy to complete levels without dying. I'm up to Mission 10 already and I haven't died once, used any items and have yet to receive a ranking below S. I don't think this should be a standard for someone playing through it the first time. Red orbs are essentially useless for me now as I never use items (unless there are other things that I can purchase that I am overlooking) and the new upgrade system further dumbs down the role of the red orbs.

I mean yeah, I finished all of the previous games on DMD and all that jazz, as well as all those other action games (ie. NG2 and Bayonetta) so this would naturally be easier for me, but I do wonder what these "hardcore" players they apparently focus tested the game with were thinking. To me it's just too much of a cakewalk.

For anyone not feeling it, the moment it all clicked for me and I really began to appreciate it was during the Succubus boss battle. Really fun and high octane stuff (though not threatening as previously mentioned >_>). I also ran into a few glitches where enemies would just stop attacking and I would have to reload my checkpoint (which are very generous :/) in order to progress.

Vergil's implementation, thus far, is pretty awful. He needs to be colder and more bad ass :( I like the idea of Kat being a witch and them making her "modern" by putting her potions in spray cans. It's such a unique and weird idea.

I think it has potential to sell quite a bit, but I am waiting for another action game that is a little bit more in depth. I'm sure Platinum will deliver the goods come MGR and Bayo2

game sounds interesting, but i got my share of nt game@launch..
I'll wait for bomba price on this one, plus i still have to start mp3, ac3, fc3,anarchy reigns, finish p4g and ni no kuni is 20days away!

V_Arnold

How did he acquire this?

Also there's a shit ton of DMC threads on the main page. Don't know where the REAL discussion is going on.

Aside from Mission 14 and 16, the rest of the missions are very short. He's nearing the home stretch of the game, probably will complete in 3 hours.

Dahbomb, do you have any insights on THIS?

Am I crazy for this assumption? Will try to verify it tonight, but it migh already be covered by the pros.

Dahbomb

Dahbomb, do you have any insights on THIS?

Am I crazy for this assumption? Will try to verify it tonight, but it migh already be covered by the pros.
We already know this. You can mask the change during different inputs like enemy step or gun shot but the lag still exists. Since you can't use enemy step on the ground this is most noticeable on the ground. Still though even if you use enemy step or gun shot to mask the lag, that's still frames wasted on switching weapons.

This lag is not on the D-pad weapon switches by the way, it works like the previous games.

V_Arnold

We already know this. You can mask the change during different inputs like enemy step or gun shot but the lag still exists. Since you can't use enemy step on the ground this is most noticeable on the ground. Still though even if you use enemy step or gun shot to mask the lag, that's still frames wasted on switching weapons.

This lag is not on the D-pad weapon switches by the way, it works like the previous games.

Okay, I just discovered what was already known by myself then. Yeah, the d-pad switch is instant, this is purely about the trigger effects.

Dahbomb

There's a shit ton of spoilers in that launch video. Pretty much everything aside from the final boss.

The music is still wubwub awful.

iavi

There's a shit ton of spoilers in that launch video. Pretty much everything aside from the final boss.

I really dug the music. Might've been what I dig most, actually.

I don't feel spoiled. It feels like one of those scenarios where they're not spoilers till you know the whole context of the scenes.

Nemesis_

Thanks, I was going to watch just to see how they are marketing this, but I do enjoy being surprised

Also, is there a proper reason why the girl who Mundus is with has such a fucked up face? Or is it just poor modeling on Ninja Theory's part?

Kacho

For anyone not feeling it, the moment it all clicked for me and I really began to appreciate it was during the Succubus boss battle. Really fun and high octane stuff (though not threatening as previously mentioned >_>).

How are the boss battles in general? Is there a lot of set piece stuff?

Dahbomb

Nephilim is easier than DMC3/DMC1 on Normal. Slightly easier than Devil Hunter in DMC4 as well.

Notice how no reviews talk about the game being hard but in fact some of them say it might be a bit too easy for DMC fans... yea that should be a clue.

Please note that DMD is not that easy though. At least the regular mobs aren't but the bosses aren't that much harder than usual. After playing the game more, Round Trip is broke in this game at least for anything below Drek and big sized enemies class.

How are the boss battles in general? Is there a lot of set piece stuff?
There are a lot of "set pieces" when it comes to platforming. There are 6 bosses and IMO they are overall very mediocre in terms of mechanics. Visually they are impressive, they have the scale and the presentation but not the substance. Best boss is the last boss fight, the first one and second one aren't too bad either. They also do not change much on higher difficulties.

V_Arnold

To any new players: I would recommend to do the first 2 missions in Demon Hunter mode, then go replay those 2 levels on Nephilim and continue onwards.

Why? Because that way, you can play the game from the start with the proper tools to actually have fun on the Hunter fight (you can angel grapple him), and during all the fights. Starting with only Rebellion+guns is weird as hell for the first mission otherwise :p

Carbonox

I wanna know where the fuck my preorder codes for DmC are. Still haven't got them and I got the game yesterday. Two weapon skin packs and the Vergil DLC (though I guess the code for this will be sent out at a later date?).

.la1n

To any new players: I would recommend to do the first 2 missions in Demon Hunter mode, then go replay those 2 levels on Nephilim and continue onwards.

Why? Because that way, you can play the game from the start with the proper tools to actually have fun on the Hunter fight (you can angel grapple him), and during all the fights. Starting with only Rebellion+guns is weird as hell for the first mission otherwise :p

Good advice, I will use this when I start the game.

chrono01

I wanna know where the fuck my preorder codes for DmC are. Still haven't got them and I got the game yesterday. Two weapon skin packs and the Vergil DLC (though I guess the code for this will be sent out at a later date?).

I just received my pre-order codes from EBGames.ca. Did you purchase in-store? If so, it's supposed to be on your receipt [I believe]. If you ordered online, you should be receiving an email soon.

Ricker

Game looks awesome on the 360 and its fun as hell...beautiful presentation,like previous Ninja Theory games(I loved Enslaved and Heavenly Sword for that,cut scenes are always top notch) and the intro to the story and gaining your skills and stuff in the first 2 missions is superb...

The trinity smash is pretty much the combo that breaks the style meter. Without the Demon evade you can easily raise 2-3 letter grades. And the Aquila, my god that weapon is full of swagger lol.

Dahbomb

Trinity Smash loses it's effectiveness on higher difficulties against mobs. Not enough AOE on it and you can't dodge out of it. It's still really good against fewer enemies or enemies you just disabled but you aren't going to be using it that often in DMD mode.

Round Trip is something that people will be abusing to get through DMD mode. Even the uncharged version is damn good.

Mokudin

Neo Member
I wonder why so much was derived from Nero. There's the overt stuff like the grapple mechanic and moves like Calibur or Roulette Spin of course that could be explained as not wanting to let a good mechanic go to waste just because this game doesn't have Nero himself in it but then there are minor things like being a lefty which makes the first two swings of Hacker damn near identical to the first two of Red Queen Combo A or reusing his gambling theme with some of the new move names like Snake Eyes or Buy In.

Dahbomb

I wonder why so much was derived from Nero. There's the overt stuff like the grapple mechanic and moves like Calibur or Roulette Spin of course that could be explained as not wanting to let a good mechanic go to waste just because this game doesn't have Nero himself in it but then there are minor things like being a lefty which makes the first two swings of Hacker damn near identical to the first two of Red Queen Combo A or reusing his gambling theme with some of the new move names like Snake Eyes or Buy In.
DMC4 was the most recent DMC games as well as the best selling and had some fuck awesome mechanics and tools.

Someone should gif that multi enemy combo at 1:45.

It's LIVE!!!!

LTWheels

Any recommendations for control configuration? Trying to figure out one which allows you to easily hold a charge shot, without the other shoulder buttons feeling too uncomfortable.

Top Bottom