• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

anddo0

Dling the PS3 version now. Just couldn't wait until Thurs night/Fri morning for Neweggs copy (return to sender). Hope this isn't a sign of things to come for 2013.

TP

Also I don't know what GB was smoking when they brought up reactive difficulty. No such thing in the game, enemies have pretty much the same AI throughout.

I didn't watch the stream but this might have something to do with it.

According to creative director Tameem Antoniades, enemies will also punish players for repeating moves. "If you do certain moves over and over, the AI stops you from doing that or responds to you doing that. DmC's a game about playing for style and hitting that high SSS rank is difficult."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/48901/new-devi...he-magic-of-pro-gaming-entry-bar-is-very-low/

Dahbomb

I don't mind the question, I did not finish it and I'm not going to, played it till the end of mission 14. I was going to quit it much earlier but the owner of the game said I should play it a bit more.
Well I think that's enough portion of the game played to get a good opinion on it. I feel the game goes downhill after Mission#14 a bit. Too bad you missed out on the final boss fight though.

I didn't watch the stream but this might have something to do with it.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/48901/new-devi...he-magic-of-pro-gaming-entry-bar-is-very-low/
Not only is SSS easy to get but there is no hint of enemies adapting to your skillset. Enemies who were already good at evading certain moves continue to do and enemies who can be exploited by various moves can still be exploited on higher difficulties. Enemies like Rage who have no answer to Round Trip will always get cheesed out by that move.

It's also common knowledge by now that Tameem is really far removed from the combat of the game and doesn't know anything about good combat design. There was a time he thought that DmC got faster with higher style ranks.

Curufinwe

Ugh.

More problematic are the journeys into body horror, which occasionally descends into a grotesqueness that doesn’t fit well with the quips and inane swearfests punctuating the boss battles. I’m not particularly squeamish but one encounter made me abandon my pastrami on rye and shudder a little. It involves a demon wearing a human skin which resembles Ida, the plastic surgery addict from Gilliam’s Brazil, and culminates in an inversion of pregnancy that brought back nightmarish memories of the Garbage Pail Kids.

Well I think that's enough portion of the game played to get a good opinion on it. I feel the game goes downhill after Mission#14 a bit. Too bad you missed out on the final boss fight though.

Not only is SSS easy to get but there is no hint of enemies adapting to your skillset. Enemies who were already good at evading certain moves continue to do and enemies who can be exploited by various moves can still be exploited on higher difficulties. Enemies like Rage who have no answer to Round Trip will always get cheesed out by that move.

I watched my friend fight the last bosses I had to get context of the leaked ending.

I don't mind the question, I did not finish it and I'm not going to, played it till the end of mission 14. I was going to quit it much earlier but the owner of the game said I should play it a bit more.

I think 14 missions worth of play is more than fair to make an informed decision, what made you dislike it enough to want to quit?

Zephyrus

Banned
Does Dante get the white hair near the end or something?

Saw a video of the ending on youtube and Dante had it.

Skin or?

Feel free to answer with spoilers.

From the RPS review, and I'll spoiler tag it just to be on the safe side:
You will destroy a soft drink company and an alternate world Fox News.

SOLD

Just another game to add to my collection.....I think I can afford not to get a new console at launch with all these games that are coming out.

Dahbomb

Does Dante get the white hair near the end or something?

Saw a video of the ending on youtube and Dante had it.

Skin or?

Feel free to answer with spoilers.
Dante gets all white hair literally after you beat the final boss and he keeps it for like a few seconds until the game fades to credit. After that you can play him with all white hair for the whole game because it's unlocked as a skin. There is no explanation for this event... it just happens.

Zephyrus

Banned
Dante gets all white hair literally after you beat the final boss and he keeps it for like a few seconds until the game fades to credit. After that you can play him with all white hair for the whole game because it's unlocked as a skin.

So the sequel will have Dante with the white hair?

G-Fex

I really kinda like the story, granted I skipped a bunch of cutscenes I'll watch it next playthrough but I sorta like the story, I like the girl cat or whatever and I like the villains.

Am I a bad person dmc gaf?

Plus I like Dante and the style of backgrounds buildings and like
Dante's home
look nice.

Dahbomb

So the sequel will have Dante with the white hair?
IF there was a sequel to the game then for sure he will be starting off with all white hair, probably with longer hair and a more OG Dante style costume. Although it's too early to be speculating on sequel talk... the game came out today.

Am I a bad person dmc gaf?
So you liked the abortion scene, Vergil playing master computer hacker and Solid Snake, the Mundus/Dante pseudo rape scene and the "I loved you" ending?

And how could you have skipped cutscenes if you liked the story?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Just about to start Mission 8. I would be totally loving this if not for the platforming. Shit, that's worth 2 points off by itself. I don't play those games for a reason, Ninja Theory.

I must say Eryx is way more fun to use than it looks.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Can't charge and whip.
hrm.

The gun special doesn't seem to do anything when you hold down angelic or demonic modes.
I wanna map that to whip.

Someone has the plat already. Goes by the name of Jimmy-May-Cry. Says he beat Hell or Hell mode before tackling Dante Must Die, admitting it was a dumb thing to do as beating the latter granted him the "Super Dante with unlimited devil trigger" ability; something he could have used to render HoH a much easier feat if he played that afterwards instead. Says he loved the game and can't wait for the Vergil DLC and Bloody Palace mode.

G-Fex

IF there was a sequel to the game then for sure he will be starting off with all white hair, probably with longer hair and a more OG Dante style costume. Although it's too early to be speculating on sequel talk... the game came out today.

So you liked the abortion scene, Vergil playing master computer hacker and Solid Snake, the Mundus/Dante pseudo rape scene and the "I loved you" ending?

And how could you have skipped cutscenes if you liked the story?

I skipped that stuff :O

I am only so far in the game too didn't finish it. Eh I only saw a few things like meeting cat and like ...huh...I skipped almost everything so far (i'm not that far in, maybe 3 missions in)

Spoke too soon!

:p

I like raptor news and the real world junk.

Dahbomb

Spoke too soon!
No shit son. ROFL!

I thought you had beaten the game and was giving story impressions.

To be honest I feel the story was pretty decent in the first half of the game, as was the overall level design. They do a good job of character development and explaining all the various background elements to the story. It's a bit boring but it's at least competent. The stuff after the first half delve into typical video game story tropes and nonsense.

Andrew.

Banned
I skipped that stuff :O

I am only so far in the game too didn't finish it. Eh I only saw a few things like meeting cat and like ...huh...I skipped almost everything so far (i'm not that far in, maybe 3 missions in)

Spoke too soon!

:p

I like raptor news and the real world junk.

Why are you skipping everything? In that much of a hurry?

DatDude

Banned
Why is the metacritic user score for DMC 2.9?

I mean Christ. I understand why they might dislike the game, but it's a huge spit in the face for Ninja Theory when everyone is dishing 0's and 1's... there was obvious hard work and dedication that went into making this game...whether you agree with the changes or not.

Gamers should act like adults and should learn how to grow up. Ugh.

G-Fex

No shit son. ROFL!

I thought you had beaten the game and was giving story impressions.

To be honest I feel the story was pretty decent in the first half of the game, as was the overall level design. They do a good job of character development and explaining all the various background elements to the story. It's a bit boring but it's at least competent. The stuff after the first half delve into typical video game story tropes and nonsense.

Bummer. Least the fighting is good shit.

So on my reciept it says the Virgil DLC will be out next month

I wonder when Bloody Palace drops

Why are you skipping everything? In that much of a hurry?

Today yes, In fact i need to sleep now.

I'll watch them next replay

Dahbomb

I mean Christ. I understand why they might dislike the game, but it's a huge spit in the face for Ninja Theory when everyone is dishing 0's and 1's... there was obvious hard work and dedication that went into making this game...whether you agree with the changes or not.

Don't put that much stock into User ratings on Metacritic. It's not just a DmC thing either:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii

haikira

Two missions in. I'm definitely glad i bought this. Loving it so far.

Dialogue, characters and story seem perfectly serviceable to me. I've seen better. But i'm engaged so far. Also. I noticed Alex Garland's name dropped in the opening, as a story consultant. As a massive Danny Boyle fan, this pleases me. I'm aware he we was involved in some capacity, with Ninja Theory's last game, Enslaved. But I've never completed that.

ezekial45

Banned

If it makes feel better, publishers and developers don't put any stock in Metacritic user scores. It's a place for gamers to vent and/or praise.

Andrew.

Banned
Two missions in. I'm definitely glad i bought this. Loving it so far.

Dialogue, characters and story seem perfectly serviceable to me. I've seen better. But i'm engaged so far. Also. I noticed Alex Garland's name dropped in the opening, as a story consultant. As a massive Danny Boyle fan, this pleases me. I'm aware he we was involved in some capacity, with Ninja Theory's last game, Enslaved. But I've never completed that.

Pretty sure Garland either straight up wrote the script for Enslaved or came up with the story.

GolazoDan

Done the first two missions, really enjoying it! I've never really played a DMC game before, found the HD collection a bit hard to get into to be honest, but I played and enjoyed Bayonetta. Gameplay's fun and there's lots of numbers and progress bars which are never a bad thing. Story's only really getting going but it's been alright so far, not overly crude (even the
squirrel semen reference
because even Dante baulked at that). I also rather enjoyed the opening just because it reminded me of
The Simpsons where Bart's little lad is constantly covered up by something
, it's really over the top and establishes that "THIS IS NOT SUPER SERIOUS" almost immediately.

Don't really like Mundus though. He reminds me of the bad guy from Hitman Absolution. I kinda just want him and his weird woman to go away. Dante seems like a surprisingly likeable chap though. And Vergil has a cool hat at least.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Gameplay's fun and there's lots of numbers and progress bars which are never a bad thing.

807503965_rBNbP-L.jpg

Top Bottom