• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

jett

D-Member
Exceed's timing kinda is way too strict to be a genuinely useful mechanic, but ymmv. Gotta strike a balance for depth.

Instant-rev is really easy to use, if you notice Nero shouts out something with every move, just time it to that. Max Act is kind of a crapshoot, though.

DMC 4 is piss easy to fix. They should have never added Dante to the campaign. He should have been an unlockable bonus mode, that allowed you to play through what ended up being his campaign and included cutscenes.
And add some fucking DT boss finishers for Dante while you're at it.

That's it, there. DMC 4 is fixed.

So then DMC4 would be a 4 hour game with horrible level design, still. DMC4 has too many issues to fix by just doing one or two things.

Monocle

personal opinion but what was wrong in dmc4 was:
1) nero was shallow.... sure the magic hand! whoo! yet the most profound feature, aka the trigger, was just thrown in for the heck of it in the tutorial and soon forgotten... at least dante was fun and variageted, if only a bit too op in some stance/weapon combination..
2) backtracking... seriously? backtracking a level is fine, 2 is tedious.. half game backtracking? plainly stupid..
3) more variety

so if dmc fixed those without breaking anything i'd be an happy dawg.. but the opinions on this matter seem really divided atm..
This is one of the least informed opinions about a DMC game that I've seen on GAF, and that's saying something.

Exceed's timing kinda is way too strict to be a genuinely useful mechanic, but ymmv. Gotta strike a balance for depth.
I was hitting it about every 2/3 attempts after a few days with DMC4's demo, and I'm not a skilled player by any means. The timings are very easy to lock into muscle memory. Max rev is tougher but not prohibitively difficult. Certainly no more demanding than most just frame techniques in your average fighting game.

rvy

Banned
That doesn't fix the boring level designs, recycled content and disappointing final boss.

I don't see it. I finished DMC 4 twice last week, so my memory isn't failing me, I don't think.

The levels are boring, why? Because you need to find a treasure to get from point A to point B, while killing everything in your path? They even throw in the occasional platforming sections so that it doesn't become repetitive. I don't see how that's boring. You spend 90% of your time fighting demons, which is the meat of the game's system anyway. I don't need platforming QTEs, or chase sequences ripped from GoW, to feel that a game isn't boring about its level design.

Recycled content as in, what? Boss battles? Well, sure, they recycle one boss battle and then pit all the previous bosses against you in Mission 19, but that always strikes me as "See how good you've gotten for the past 13 hours by beating these assholes again".
I never felt like those were added in to punish the player, but to reward him instead.

Recycled levels? Sure, you can go through the same sections twice or something, but they're either different in some way or you're just passing through, what's the big deal?

Disappoint final boss? Anything is disappointing by comparison with DMC 3. Killing the old man made sense story-wise. Would Dante be a better boss? Sure, it doesn't make sense though. Would Credo be a better boss? Sure, but again, it doesn't make sense.

If you said something like "They should have added more Credo fights!". Well, definitely. I can't argue.

You don't need to nail every strike to get your shit going. If you can't manage to rev 3 strikes, maybe DMC isn't for you.

So then DMC4 would be a 4 hour game with horrible level design, still. DMC4 has too many issues to fix by just doing one or two things.

Sure seems on par with other action games this gen. Wasn't Heavenly Sword 5 hours of horrible combat and platforming? So, two hours less than DmC, but much better combat? Yeah, that sounds good.
But, you know that's a bullshit number. Nobody finishes DMC once and people spend a lot of time in Bloody Palace. Not to mention that the fact that Dante has a separate bonus campaign doesn't somehow remove it from the game.
Those extra 3 or 4 hours aren't going anywhere. Bloody Palace has unlimited replay value.

Dave1988

Exceed really isn't that hard to pull off. Hell, this year I played a bit of Bloody Palace in DMC4 and I pulled off Exceed on almost every swing and I haven't played DMC4 in years before that. Exceed level 3, now that's hard to pull off consistently...

haikira

So depth is making things... easier to get right with no effort or learning curve. I see. The FEEL of DEPTH.

2/3rds of DMC4's UK purchasers response to DmC: Not in a million years :]

Broad sweeping statements are fun!

Here's another. Two thirds of DMC4 UK players, hated the game so much, they quit the franchise....

Arguing is easy.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Instant-rev is really easy to use, if you notice Nero shouts out something with every move, just time it to that. Max Act is kind of a crapshoot, though.
Yeah, Max Act is the one I'm talking about. Instant Rev just feels like a concession for fucking up.

Which is fine of course, I just don't like the way it was implemented. I feel like it shouldn't have been something you're motivated to just semi-intelligently mash with each attack in hopes you might get the good one. Tedious, almost like an in-game gambling mechanic.

Exceed/Max Act system was perfect imo. It added an optional layer for the "hardcore" without alienating beginners. And it was damn satisfying to pull off. The only disappointing thing about Nero was that you didn't get to use Yamato outside of DT. If they had made Dark Slayer available to him instead of Dante, it'd have been awesome but as an introductory character he was very well designed.

JoeFenix

You're not supposed to mash it, there's a golden spark on every move than tells you when to press the trigger. It's quite possible to learn the timing of most moves relatively quickly, the challenge is in getting the timing right while actually doing all the other combat related actions at the same time.

It's definitely a really cool mechanic that was completely unique and well thought out, I feel like Nero wouldn't be anywhere near as fun to play if he didn't have access to the Exceed system.

rvy

Banned
Exceed/Max Act system was perfect imo. It added an optional layer for the "hardcore" without alienating beginners. And it was damn satisfying to pull off. The only disappointing thing about Nero was that you didn't get to use Yamato outside of DT. If they had made Dark Slayer available to him instead of Dante, it'd have been awesome but as an introductory character he was very well designed.

Shit yes, I like you. Yamato was kind of a waste on Nero. And he uses the damn thing on cutscenes even.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You're not supposed to mash it, there's a golden spark on every move than tells you when to press the trigger. It's quite possible to learn the timing of most moves relatively quickly, the challenge is in getting the timing right while actually doing all the other combat related actions at the same time.
Yes, hence semi-intelligent mashing.

OwlyKnees

Mixed feelings after six hours with the game.

Don't particularly hold any esteem for previous Devil May Cry or Ninja Theory games, but for all the efforts into making 'crazy' landscapes, the in-game world seems so dull.

On the other hand, the sound effects are wonderful. Such an often under-looked aspect of immersion in video games, I really think they did a fantastic job with those.

Gameplay? Enjoyable!

JoeFenix

Yes, hence semi-intelligent mashing.

Eh, if you're satisfied with being sloppy sure, you'll get some max revs here and there and that's cool but it does reward crisp timing so I think that's a fine balance that they had going. It's useable with some mashing and you'll get something out of it but it rewards mastery.

Pretty well thought out system if you ask me!

Shit yes, I like you. Yamato was kind of a waste on Nero. And he uses the damn thing on cutscenes even.

I even think Yamato could work very well with an Exceed-like system where you have to time your draws. Dark Slayer is based on Iaido after all. I really wanted to see what they had in store for him.

Dahbomb

People hating on the Exceed system from DMC4 should probably consider investing in a different genre.

That system was a breath of fresh of air for the genre. Its equivalent to Dodge Offset IMO in terms of pushing the genre forward.

There are some videos out there that show the exact frame you need to input to get Max Act. If you follow that at the very least it will greatly improve you normal EX revs. Even the pros don't hit Max Acts all the time but the better players do it more often and that's when usuallu you can tell who is a better player.

And you aren't supposed to mash it either, its a single timed input. Its like how you don't mash trying to do 1 frame links in fighting games, all it will do is make you a worse player.

Dahbomb, I read your ideas for a hypothetical DMC5 but I don't remember you talking about how to improve Nero. Or did you just assume it'd follow Dante instead?

Carbonox

Exceed is my favourite new addition to a DMC game in the whole series. I can go back to DMC4 and still time the hits to perfection 90% of the time (not so much MAX ACT though).

Absolutely glorious and pretty damn addictive addition to the combat. Criminal that it's been left out unless we see it return in the future. My ideal would DMC5 would of course see Nero returning.

LTWheels

Games just don't sell much anymore in the UK unless its cod or FIFA. There is a very low requirement to get into the top 10. The UK market has massively moved to mobile and tablet gaming.

Mike M

Nick N
Fuck, Son of Sparda level gave the Frost Knights shields. Game spends it's entire length telling you how great demon weapons are against shields, then puts them on an enemy that's invulnerable to them : (

JoeFenix

People hating on the Exceed system from DMC4 should probably consider investing in a different genre.

That system was a breath of fresh of air for the genre. Its equivalent to Dodge Offset IMO in terms of pushing the genre forward.

There are some videos out there that show the exact frame you need to input to get Max Act. If you follow that at the very least it will greatly improve you normal EX revs. Even the pros don't hit Max Acts all the time but the better players do it more often and that's when usuallu you can tell who is a better player.

And you aren't supposed to mash it either, its a single timed input. Its like how you don't mash trying to do 1 frame links in fighting games, all it will do is make you a worse player.

Spot on, though I really don't understand how you can think like this and still give DmC the same score as DMC4 in your franchise tier breakdown.

Is there ANYTHING even close to being as remotely satisfying as the Exceed system in DmC that I'm not seeing?

Carbonox

Fuck, Son of Sparda level gave the Frost Knights shields. Game spends it's entire length telling you how great demon weapons are against shields, then puts them on an enemy that's invulnerable to them : (

Activate Devil Trigger if you want to be quick with them. Any attack works during DT.

Dahbomb

Spot on, though I really don't understand how you can think like this and still give DmC the same score as DMC4 in your franchise tier breakdown.

Is there ANYTHING even close to being as remotely satisfying as the Exceed system in DmC that I'm not seeing?
I gave DmC an 8 and DMC4 a 9 bro (8.5 at lowest). And in my franchise tier list DmC is still below DMC4. You need to read that post again.

And DmC does somethings better than DMC4 so its not blasphemous for someone to ratr the games similarly.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So, I beat it last night. Great game, but the ending felt tacked on, and the last boss fight comes out of nowhere and seemed badly rushed. Either way, great game.

The funny thing is that I've been trying to replay DMC1 during this time, and I think I'm just going to skip to replaying DMC3. DMC1 has aged very well in some aspects, but the combat is just a bit too primitive for this day and age. The level design is also much different from the others, and it's getting a bit too long trying to get used to it.

JoeFenix

I gave DmC an 8 and DMC4 a 9 bro (8.5 at lowest). And in my franchise tier list DmC is still below DMC4. You need to read that post again.

And DmC does somethings better than DMC4 so its not blasphemous for someone to ratr the games similarly.

My bad on the score, as far as what it does better, could you please go into more detail? Is it stuff that actually matters combat wise or it's just environmental set pieces kind of fluff?

I have a beastly PC and could play the game at 60 fps when it comes out there but man I can't justify paying good money for it at this point. I just know I'm going to regret it right away, I really disliked the demo.

As a fan of DMC what did you get out of this game? If the bosses are lame and so are most enemies then what's left?

Jawmuncher

Imagine them announcing DMC5 at E3 for next gen.

I wouldn't be surprised if capcom was lying their ass off about another "real" DMC game.
Everyone knows DmC is a reboot since they want mainstream money the most why would the run a reboot and then a 5 afterwards?
Can't think of any other series they've done something like that. Aside spinoffs with RE.
Who knows

V_Arnold

My bad on the score, as far as what it does better, could you please go into more detail? Is it stuff that actually matters combat wise or it's just environmental set pieces kind of fluff?

I have a beastly PC and could play the game at 60 fps when it comes out there but man I can't justify paying good money for it at this point. I just know I'm going to regret it right away, I really disliked the demo.

As a fan of DMC what did you get out of this game? If the bosses are lame and so are most enemies then what's left?

Here you go.

Go straight to the combat secion instead of spending energy to dismiss other points.

iavi

Are we not to the point where games can be taken as a whole package? An actual sum of all their included elements.

Anteater

it will be a smart idea actually,niche genre sell best if they are launch titles/first year.

DMC4 team still with Capcom right?

Yeah, the dmc4 team is still around, they were occupied with a new IP right after finishing dmc4 which ended up being dragon's dogma.

I wouldn't be surprised if capcom was lying their ass off about another "real" DMC game.
Everyone knows DmC is a reboot since they want mainstream money the most why would the run a reboot and then a 5 afterwards?
Can't think of any other series they've done something like that. Aside spinoffs with RE.
Who knows

Well Capcom wanted higher output with their popular series, but yeah who knows.

Are we not to the point where games can be taken as a whole package? An actual sum of all their included elements.

Different portions of the fanbase care about different parts of the games. I personally couldn't care less about the overall story or how intricate the environments are but I like the combat and the characters.

It isn't that different from other genres: I can see how RAGE for example falls flat when it comes to dynamic environments, an overarching story and the ending but the gunplay was so good that I still prefer it over many FPS which offer a more "complete package".

JoeFenix

I buy DMC games looking for stylish OTT action that has depth, super polished presentation with great choreography and cutscene direction and a well thought out ranking system that encourages replayability and mastery.

I'm not seeing ANY of this here, other than maybe some depth in the combat system, yet I'm still somehow tempted to buy the PC version for some unknown reason. I want to know what people see in this game! Most seem to agree that the story is snoozeville at best, the cutscenes don't have any crazy OTT action sequences in them and the bosses and enemies are mostly lame.

Why should I give this game a chance? What do people really like about it so much?

Dahbomb

I felt that not resorting to backtracking and having a considerable amount of environment variety really makes the game more digestible on playthroughs compared to DMC4 although the platforming hurts replayability as well. Level design is up to subjective tastes but I really got a kick out of them, you really don't get the scope of them just watching videos as you do panning the camera and looking around.

As far as the combat goes yes it has substantial depth to the combat. A few pages back I made a picture diagram of the skill ceiling/floors of various DMC games. You would be able to tell that DmC while ranks lower than the DMC3/DMC4 in terms of skill ceiling, it is still very comparable to the 2 games. Yeah the mechanics aren't as polished but just the breadth of tools provided to you is quite insane.

DmC has the most melee weapons available to you in a DMC game yet and what's a bigger accomplishment is that they provide you with all these weapons at the touch of a single input.. unlike with DMC4 Dante where you have to at times double tap to reach your weapon of choice. Note that you still double tap for firearms but for melee weapons it's all single taps. It feels like it did when you first played DMC3 and how having multiple weapons opened up the combat. Yea yeah... it's stupidly easy to get SSS ranks but just genuinely playing the game the way that it was meant to be played is super fun.

What DmC does over previous DMC games is the heavy focus on crowd control. You shouldn't be comboing single enemies at a time but trying to get as many opponents in your combo as possible and that's a thrill worth seeking. The Aquila weapon is a weapon perfectly designed for this combat engine and I feel is one of the best weapons in the DMC series. Every weapon is useful IMO especially the firearms which people are sleeping on still. Not only that but weapons have "just" charge releases where you time your release to the charges to get more damage/style out of them. This applies to gun charges as well. When you start incorporating perfect LVL3 Ricoshot into your game that's when you start getting that combat satisfaction of a DMC game. This is all combined with stuff like pulling enemies, using enemy step, gun cancels, weapon switch cancels and all the other mechanics that are present in a DMC game on top of stuff like linking a Demon Dodge into Angel Dodge to keep the offense up.

Some of the later enemies provide unique challenges and are especially formidable with other types of enemies. You are constantly pushed to switch weapons not just against the color coated enemies. You are also pushed to parry and while I feel it was a misstep to allow a move like Pop/Shredder to parry easily it's still a good system where you need to be aware of which moves you should be parrying. Chaining parries together is also hype if you ever do it. The bosses are still easy mode but certain enemy combinations do push you hard enough.

The game is a hard pill to swallow at $60 IMO but at under $40 for the PC version... I think for fans of the action genre that's not a bad deal at all. Of course if you can wait longer than all the better but get to play it eventually, there is good stuff under the hood in the game... so long as you put the style ranking/gauge on ignore and play stylishly.

iavi

Different portions of the fanbase care about different parts of the games. I personally couldn't care less about the overall story or how intricate the environments are but I like the combat and the characters.

It isn't that different from other genres: I can see how RAGE for example falls flat when it comes to dynamic environments, an overarching story and the ending but the gunplay was so good that I still prefer it over many FPS which offer a more "complete package".

It does boil down to taste, but whether or not you care about a certain aspect, I think that its merit, or lack of, should be acknowledged, still. Dismissing the aspects you don't care about as fluff is simply unprogressive. Whether or not you care, the game is more then bloody palace.

I buy DMC games looking for stylish OTT action that has depth, super polished presentation with great choreography and cutscene direction and a well thought out ranking system that encourages replayability and mastery.

I'm not seeing ANY of this here, other than maybe some depth in the combat system, yet I'm still somehow tempted to buy the PC version for some unknown reason. I want to know what are these parts that are so good! Most people agree that the story is snoozeville at best, the cutscenes don't have any crazy OTT action sequences in them and the bosses and enemies are mostly lame.

Why should I give this game a chance? What do people really like about it so much?

Bold 1: Have we been playing the same series? OTT as hell, yeah, but to each his own on everything else.

Bold 2: If you're going to go into it looking for a bias confirmation, your bias will be confirmed. That's all I'm going to say if that bold is all you've come to about the game when reading through the impressions in this thread.

The game is not DMC. Instead of on singular enemies, it seems to be more about quick crowd control, which can be just as fun as lock-on styling. E: beaten on this point!

JoeFenix

I felt that not resorting to backtracking and having a considerable amount of environment variety really makes the game more digestible on playthroughs compared to DMC4 although the platforming hurts replayability as well. Level design is up to subjective tastes but I really got a kick out of them, you really don't get the scope of them just watching videos as you do panning the camera and looking around.

As far as the combat goes yes it has substantial depth to the combat. A few pages back I made a picture diagram of the skill ceiling/floors of various DMC games. You would be able to tell that DmC while ranks lower than the DMC3/DMC4 in terms of skill ceiling, it is still very comparable to the 2 games. Yeah the mechanics aren't as polished but just the breadth of tools provided to you is quite insane.

DmC has the most melee weapons available to you in a DMC game yet and what's a bigger accomplishment is that they provide you with all these weapons at the touch of a single input.. unlike with DMC4 Dante where you have to at times double tap to reach your weapon of choice. Note that you still double tap for firearms but for melee weapons it's all single taps. It feels like it did when you first played DMC3 and how having multiple weapons opened up the combat. Yea yeah... it's stupidly easy to get SSS ranks but just genuinely playing the game the way that it was meant to be played is super fun.

What DmC does over previous DMC games is the heavy focus on crowd control. You shouldn't be comboing single enemies at a time but trying to get as many opponents in your combo as possible and that's a thrill worth seeking. The Aquila weapon is a weapon perfectly designed for this combat engine and I feel is one of the best weapons in the DMC series. Every weapon is useful IMO especially the firearms which people are sleeping on still. Not only that but weapons have "just" charge releases where you time your release to the charges to get more damage/style out of them. This applies to gun charges as well. When you start incorporating perfect LVL3 Ricoshot into your game that's when you start getting that combat satisfaction of a DMC game. This is all combined with stuff like pulling enemies, using enemy step, gun cancels, weapon switch cancels and all the other mechanics that are present in a DMC game on top of stuff like linking a Demon Dodge into Angel Dodge to keep the offense up.

Some of the later enemies provide unique challenges and are especially formidable with other types of enemies. You are constantly pushed to switch weapons not just against the color coated enemies. You are also pushed to parry and while I feel it was a misstep to allow a move like Pop/Shredder to parry easily it's still a good system where you need to be aware of which moves you should be parrying. Chaining parries together is also hype if you ever do it. The bosses are still easy mode but certain enemy combinations do push you hard enough.

The game is a hard pill to swallow at $60 IMO but at under $40 for the PC version... I think for fans of the action genre that's not a bad deal at all. Of course if you can wait longer than all the better but get to play it eventually, there is good stuff under the hood in the game... so long as you put the style ranking/gauge on ignore and play stylishly.

Thanks for the write up, the "just charge/release" stuff sounds like something I could have fun with. I'll definitely play it sooner or later, atleast get it out of my system.

Kudos on making the game sound somewhat fun!

Dahbomb

It's been a week since the game's release and still no swag video.

DmC community is on hibernate mode... can't even call them lazy at this point.

It does boil down to taste, but whether or not you care about a certain aspect, I think that its merit, or lack of, should be acknowledged, still. Dismissing the aspects you don't care about as fluff is simply unprogressive. Whether or not you care, the game is more then bloody palace.

I can acknowledge and appreciate it even but if it comes at the expense of elements I care more about of course I will be disappointed.

I really like what they did with the environments and I actually did pre-order the PC version but DmC isn't what I wanted from the second HD DMC entry.

It's one of my favorite games in recent history too, don't let the handful of bitter crybabies who won't admit that NT actually made a great game fool you. Really sad to see that the whiners have to resort to spoilers, the Vergil one was beyond childish.

Yeah, the blatant use of spoilers in this thread is beyond ridiculous.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Broken ass style system discourages "swag". Why waste time with that stuff when you get max points and do max damage from a simple demon dodge --> overdrive?

V_Arnold

Broken ass style system discourages "swag". Why waste time with that stuff when you get max points and do max damage from a simple demon dodge --> overdrive?

Bullshit. If that were the case, DMC combo videos would have stopped when they hit max style letter. They did not.

jett

D-Member

Style system means nothing when it comes to swag combos. Lots of combos in DMC3 videos don't go past S. It's about looking cool, not getting a high style.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I wonder if it will go the way of Darksiders 2?

Decent combat mechanics that go largely unexplored because a community never formed around them in the same way DMC3 developed one. Possibly due to fan reception of the game.

Top Bottom