• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNC Debate - worst ratings so far in this debate season

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Even the debates seem as a formality.

The debate started with Bernie apologizing to clinton, to the crowd's delight.
She was late getting back to the debate, and when she came out it stopped as the crowd cheered. When walking off she pats Sanders on the back the way a teacher would. It just seems like it is the Hilary show.

She did that in a previous debate too lol. Like, wtf Hillary be on time. I don't know that I've seen that coming back from breaks at the Republican debates and they've got like 50 candidates to keep track off. It's a miracle Ben Carson hasn't accidentally locked himself in a closet or something.

noshten

The sum of total viewers that watched the GOP debates in 2012 is close to 100 million, DNC are trying to aim for 40 million this primary and might just do it.

Slayven

These debates are just killing time.

The real show is when the GOP and Dem candidate go head to head. That is where the most eyes will be.

Pilgrimzero

Of course the RNC debates get a lot of viewers it a circus full of clowns.

Who's going to insult Trump first? Oh dang Jeb comes out swinging! Etc

Compared to a Dem debate where they treat each other with a bit of respect and talk about actual issues...

One you go to to watch the monkeys dance and be entertained, the other to actually learn something.

Sorry, should have said the DNC instead of Democrats. The DNC has a vested interest in the most likely nominee -- Clinton -- sliding into the nomination without having to push to the left or be asked challenging questions. That weaker potential nominees like Sanders and O'Malley are going to be hurt by it is of less consequence than that the most likely nominee has an easy path to the general election.

It's entirely the reason. There is no other reason why the DNC would schedule debates on the least accessible days on the calendar, going up against the biggest non-political events. They're holding debates because there's some expectation that they should, and then putting them on nights and times where nobody watches political debates.

Well, the DNC is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. It's job is to protect the electability of the most likely nominee.

I think some people forget the DNC as well as the RNC are entirely political organizations within both parties responsible for electing their people to office. It's a win or lose political game for these organizations at the end of the day. And if that rubs people the wrong way I'm sure other political parties like the Green Party would love to have them lol

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
These debates are just killing time.

The real show is when the GOP and Dem candidate go head to head. That is where the most eyes will be.

I can't imagine Donald Trump debating a democrat. I think he'll walk off the stage at some point. "gotcha questions", "liberal media"... I could see him taking his ball, going home and then seeing a bump in the polls as a result because shit's all upside down now apparently.

One you go to to watch the monkeys dance and be entertained, the other to actually learn something.

While I'm all about the monkeys dancing... You have to be miraculously out of touch to be learning anything about anyone or any isssue while watching the Democratic debate.

Well, the DNC is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. It's job is to protect the electability of the most likely nominee.

I think some people forget the DNC as well as the RNC are entirely political organizations within both parties responsible for electing their people to office. It's a win or lose political game for these organizations at the end of the day. And if that rubs people the wrong way I'm sure other political parties like the Green Party would love to have them lol

For sure. People aren't watching the Democratic debates because the DNC does not want people to watch them.

Are we sure the narrative is that we want focus on the democratic party at the moment? The republicans are making idiots of themselves over and over again, and media coverage time is an opportunity cost. Maybe democrats want the media to be centred around the state of the modern republican party.

Slayven

I can't imagine Donald Trump debating a democrat. I think he'll walk off the stage at some point. "gotcha questions", "liberal media"... I could see him taking his ball, going home and then seeing a bump in the polls as a result because shit's all upside down now apparently.

Especially a stonewall like Hildawg.

He will see actual facts and logic as attack on him

Zaptruder

Banned
Basically proof positive that democracy is a failed experiment.

People not interested in watching actual debates. They want spectacle.

Apathy towards politics is at an all time high... and with it, the ease of manipulating the voting masses is also at an all time high.

Tobor

How is this surprising? Clinton has this in the bag. There is no tension and no suspense. I already know who I'm voting for in the general.

The only question right now is who will emerge from the clown show on the other side.

4Tran

Hilary seems to come out of every debate stronger and the agreed upon winner both in polls and by pundits. Seems to me she would want more debates.
While that seems true, a debate offers a chance for the frontrunner to stumble and for the competition to catch. Even the best debater can make a mistake, so the fewer debates there are, the better the frontrunner's chances are. It doesn't matter much in the Democratic race because Clinton is largely a foregone conclusion.

Add that to the lack of drama in the race overall, and the TV ratings are going to be weak. It probably won't hurt their chances in the general election though - the Republican debates are doing plenty to alienate all the non-Republicans out there (and a great many Republicans as well). The only real danger is that the Republican race is garnering so much more media attention that the Democratic messages can get drowned out. But so much of that media coverage is overwhelmingly negative that even that will probably end up helping the Democrats on election day.

JustenP88

I can't tell if this is a joke. Gaf seems to think the world should've stopped the month around star wars.

It's the biggest opening weekend for any film all time, isn't it? There's a lot of weekends in a year. If you're going to schedule a debate on a weekend (already stupid), this was, hands-down, the worst possible one you could pick.

It's a joke.

Should've known when you didn't have a star wars avatar.

It's the biggest opening weekend for any film all time, isn't it? There's a lot of weekends in a year. If you're going to schedule a debate on a weekend (already stupid), this was, hands-down, the worst possible one you could pick.

I wonder what the overlap is between people that want to watch political debates (no matter what day it's on) and star wars fans.

Basically proof positive that democracy is a failed experiment.

People not interested in watching actual debates. They want spectacle.

Apathy towards politics is at an all time high... and with it, the ease of manipulating the voting masses is also at an all time high.

Fitting that Queen Hillary be coronated at the end of this process :D LET HER REIGN BEGIN

There's no real drama, there's very little possibility of any trainwreck moments.

People politely disagreeing with each other on political issues isn't great TV, ultimately.

noshten

Are we sure the narrative is that we want focus on the democratic party at the moment? The republicans are making idiots of themselves over and over again, and media coverage time is an opportunity cost. Maybe democrats want the media to be centred around the state of the modern republican party.

By limiting exposure to actual sensible candidates DNC is infact enabling targeting of minorities - every time Republicans go out of their way to demonize a particular group of people Democrats need to be there to defend them. Instead the DNC has chosen a cowardly tactic that only enables the kind of bigoted rhetoric the GOP Circus has turned into. By remaining silent or not allowing the maximum amount of people to watch DemDebates the focus is being shifted on insane narrative GOP has been funneling making life for a lot of people across America more difficult.

Debbie Wasserman Schultz was a Clinton staffer in 2008, it's easy to see why that's a problem.

I get that some people have issues with DWS's past relationship with Clinton, and honestly, it's a legitimate complaint. But let's be real. The DNC Chair is selected from a voting body of 446 members in the DNC (these members are Senators in Congress, state party officials, etc). DWS didn't just show up one day and say "Hey guys, I'm your boss now".

The party itself is moving behind Hillary. DWS is doing what she was selected to do.

Kathian

Banned
Debbie Wasserman Schultz was a Clinton staffer in 2008, it's easy to see why that's a problem.

Its also easy to see why a lack of publicity around your campaign can put you on the back foot as much of the elecctorate don't really know your positions yet.

Its also easy to see why a lack of publicity around your campaign can put you on the back foot as much of the elecctorate don't really know your positions yet.
I think the point is that Hillary Clinton doesn't have much good to offer on her own so the DNC is waiting to abuse our dislike of Republicans so that they can get people to vote for an otherwise horrible nominee.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
On one party's debates, the establishment has their candidate ready for her coronation. On the other party's debate, the establishment are shitting bricks trying to figure out how to get Trump out.

Guess which one makes for more interesting TV? not the coronation.

I think the point is that Hillary Clinton doesn't have much good to offer on her own so the DNC is waiting to abuse our dislike of Republicans so that they can get people to vote for an otherwise horrible nominee.

I think your bias is showing. Most democrats do not think the same as you.

I blame California for the Democratic debates being boring. The supposed progressive stalwart state has given us both Reagan and Nixon, but hasn't produced a strong Democratic candidate for President in a long time. What gives California Gaf?

Concept17

It's because it's an actual debate discussing topics in a formal way.

The GOP debate are like a mash up between Duck Dynasty and Jerry Springer.

Information vs entertainment.

It's because it's an actual debate discussing topics in a formal way.

The GOP debate are like a mash up between Duck Dynasty and Jerry Springer.

Information vs entertainment.

On a Saturday night? You can't deny there is some level of effort to downplay the debates.

Any numbers to back up that claim?

I just looked at this recent Quinnipiac poll and it has the majority of democrats saying she is honest and trustworthy, 76-18.
Oh wow what the fuck is wrong with this country? Clinton once lied to the media about her wartime experience in Bosnia, inventing a story about having to run across an airfield to avoid incoming sniper fire.

Going by this one example alone it's just insane to me that people trust this woman. I suppose I misunderstand what Democrats want if your grim poll is true and they believe in her integrity.

Oh wow what the fuck is wrong with this country? Clinton once lied to the media about her wartime experience in Bosnia, inventing a story about having to run across an airfield to avoid incoming sniper fire.

Going by this one example alone it's just insane to me that people trust this woman. I suppose I misunderstand what Democrats want if your grim poll is true and they believe in her integrity.
When did this happen?

J-Rod

To me it just seems like a waste of time, because chillary is a shoe-in for the nom. I suspect a lot of other people feel the same. If it wasn't for trump, it would probably be the same story on the republican side except with Jeb!

esms

Trusting a politician in general is pretty crazy.

This shouldn't be surprised. While everyone will tune in to Watch the Republican debates, Republicans because they somehow think these candidates have any chance of winning, or saying anything remotely sane and reasonable and everyone else for the trainwreck laugh festival of Trump saying the most offensive things he can and getting ovations and more popular from them. The DNC, on the other hand, is only watched by Dems probably, and even then the subset who want to know all the candidates.

Then you have the issue of it being on a Saturday night

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Lol

Don't forget all the murders she did and the people she killed in Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom