• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do GEX and Sly Racoon teams have anything in common ?

ourumov

I was playing some old PSX games today and I found and old demo of GEX. Not so long, there appeared a thread here speaking about the development of the game so I decided to test the game.
I think the game was GeX: Enter the Gecko... (there are 3 games in the series)
The fact is that I was kinda surprised about the whole Sly Racoon feel the game has...It's like if it had been by the same people. The ambience, the moves, even the way GEX controls...
BTW, Awesome floor reflections on the game.

Gribbix

bobbyconover said:
Sly has no relation to Gex, but Whiplash does. You should check it out if you haven't already.

There also a connection between Gex and the Jak games. Quite a few people at Naughty Dog used to work at Crystal Dynamics, especially during their Gex days. For instance, Evan Wells, who was one of the designers of the original Gex, later went on to direct Jak 1 and 2. Jak 3 is being directed by Amy Hennig who recently left Crystal Dynamics.

DCX

DCX
Gex needs a new life, i loved him and the humor just as good as Conker without the rated R material.

DCX

I don't understand some of these Whiplash mentions. I rented it and that was all I needed.

The game looks okay and plays well enough... it's just so boring. The humor is old within fifteen minutes, especially because it feels so forced the entire time. Gameplay situations amount to the same things over and over with no alterations big enough to gain interest. The game is filled with bland hallways between interesting parts of the level that feel almost endless.

The game crashed on me, so I gave up. I was in some room and the framerate just dropped incredibly low. It refused to go back up at all, despite there being no action on the screen at the time. I turned it off, never played it again.

wazoo

Sly is made by Sucker Punch, which made their first game on the N64 as Rocket Robot on wheels. Before that, they worked at MS (nothing game related).

Squeak

And Rocket: Robot on Weels might I add, is one of the most underappreciated platformers ever. Still worth seeking it out second-hand, and probably will be forever and ever.
Sly Racoon in comparison, was depressingly average, I especially missed the very original and catchy music of RRoNW. Does anyone know if Sucker Punch used a different composer in two games?

Top Bottom