• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
“Doctor Strange” is Marvel’s most satisfying entry since “Spider-Man 2,” and a throwback to M. Night Shyamalan’s soul-searching identity-crisis epic “Unbreakable,” which remains the gold standard for thinking people’s superhero movies.

"I don’t believe fairytales about chakras or energy or the power of belief."

Yeah, it's nice that the movie's getting a good reception but I don't believe the Spider-Man 2 comparison at all. Marvel has never come close to that or X2 except with Cap.

disgonbegood.gif

I'm so glad I got breakfast. I like a good meal with my show.

Simply stating an opinion! The time has long passed since Raimi was a gold standard for superhero films. I'm more inclined to agree with something like The Dark Knight, but I won't be moved on Peter Parker Cries 2.

What we should really all be railing against is ill-informed reviewers referring to every Marvel properties film under an umbrella term.

Agreed. Spidey 2 is still great tho.

It's pretty good. Just not a paradigm superhero films need follow.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Don't spoiler the truth. It's massively nostalgia based in its influence. Several MCU films have far surpassed it.

"Be careful which path you travel down, peanutbutterlatte. Stronger men than you have lost their way."

SpaceWolf

Banned
Don't spoiler the truth. It's massively nostalgia based in its influence. Several MCU films have far surpassed it.

I watch that film every year and I can assure you, nostalgia has absolutely nothing to do with why that film remains one of the best comic book movies of all time as well as my absolute favourite superhero movie, both in terms of its writing and execution.

I love the MCU movies, but not a single one of them has come anywhere close to touching it.

Film Critic Hulk explores the disparity in quality better then I ever could: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/24/civil-war-spider-man-2-and-the-dangers-of-assumed-empathy

FTF

Really looking forward to this...despite it being in 3D, think I'm going to catch this in imax. The Matrix meets Inception special effects just look too good.

I watch that film every year and I can assure you, nostalgia has absolutely nothing to do with why that film remains one of the best comic book movies of all time as well as my absolute favourite superhero movie, both in terms of its writing and execution.

I love the MCU movies, but not a single one of them has come anywhere close to touching it.

Film Critic Hulk explores the disparity in quality better then I ever could: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/24/civil-war-spider-man-2-and-the-dangers-of-assumed-empathy

I rather think not. Sorry, it's just not that good for me. Also, picking through the obtuse presentation, seems full of slapdash interpretations of Civil War that have been quashed a hundred times over.

Anyway, this shouldn't be the focal point of the thread. Spiderman 2 is good, this could easily be as good for me and still not be some outstanding oscar-winner. Seeing it Tuesday so will soon be able to decide for myself. I agree there are several obvious areas where the MCU needs to stretch, but I don't think people need to bring in their favourite superhero film from 12 years ago for some sort of flawed comparison.

BLACKLAC

Simply stating an opinion! The time has long passed since Raimi was a gold standard for superhero films. I'm more inclined to agree with something like The Dark Knight, but I won't be moved on Peter Parker Cries 2.

What we should really all be railing against is ill-informed reviewers referring to every Marvel properties film under an umbrella term.

Really interested in what Jon Watts is doing with Homecoming. John Hughes vibe, class trip globe trotting, the cast, and what's looking like the best spidey/peter.

I know, I'm just having fun. But some might not treat it like an opinion - more like an attack.

Pity for them then, I guess. People choosing to forget that every review statement is essentially prefixed with "In (the reviewer's) opinion", so if he thought it was better than Spiderman 2, fair enough, is their own fault.

Litan

Really interested in what Jon Watts is doing with Homecoming. John Hughes vibe, class trip globe trotting, the cast, and what's looking like the best spidey/peter.
My problem with Homecoming is, after how he was introduced in CW, how is the movie going to make ua believe that he struggles financially or with his villains when he has Stark/IM as a mentor?

My problem with Homecoming is, after how he was introduced in CW, how is the movie going to make ua believe that he struggles financially or with his villains when he has Stark/IM as a mentor?

Stark's going to lose his money when Malcolm Merlyn takes away his trust fund

BLACKLAC

I don't think they are going to dwell on it, I mean his clothes will be busted but he wont be starving.

Litan

Saw it on HBO the other day and it doesn't hold up for me. TDK the true GOAT.
I watched S2 a couple months back and I thouht it held up pretty well. Still one of the best comic book movies in my opinion. Here's hoping Homecoming is better.

Christian

Can't believe we're almost through two pages and there haven't been any "I thought Marvel wasn't doing origin movies anymore!" comments.

Anyway, super hyped for this. Re-reading The Oath in preparation. Aw yiss.

Can't believe we're almost through two pages and there haven't been any "I thought Marvel wasn't doing origin movies anymore!" comments.

Anyway, super hyped for this. Re-reading The Oath in preparation. Aw yiss.

Why would anyone think that? The only one they skipped was The Incredible Hulk's.

Plum

Seems like the first superhero film I'm seeing since The Avengers is actually going to be a good one. Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom