• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh we'll have to agree to disagree. Personally I think you're reading a bit too much into it. Yes I've seen spider-man 2 lots of times

There's no other way to read into it. Like, there's no other way to see these two characters because Raimi makes it pretty obvious throughout these two have this choice to make. Raindrops, Otto being the more steady side of his person, loss of powers, etc.

Come on. That Aunt May "I believe there's a hero in all of us" speech. Who the fuck talks like that? Even by the standards of characters in Hollywood blockbusters, that isn't believable as a person.

Comic books? You do know this is an adaption of a comic book... right? Raimi movies don't go for authentic.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Nobody said that either.

You know what I mean, mate. It's a favourable comparison meant to envoke a very conscious allusion between the two as a means of communicating the high standard of the film as a whole and as such the kind of pantheon of movies it belongs to. Naturally then, making the assumption that the reviewer sees them as comparable in terms of their quality or how "satisfying" he found them, isn't altogether untoward.

People talk like that if they're on a stage giving a speech, not when they're talking to other people.

I can see her saying those things to him as she pretty much knows who he is and his confusion. She's also a character in a comic book film, not some realistic drama.

You know what I mean, mate. It's a favourable comparison meant to envoke a very conscious allusion between the two as a means of communicating the high standard of the film as a whole and as such the kind of pantheon of movies it belongs to. Naturally then, making the assumption that the viewer sees them as comparable in terms of their quality isn't altogether untoward.

We can roll with that I guess but they still didn't say it was as good or as satisfying, just that it was their favorite comic movie since then. It really doesn't mean anything beyond that.

Ithil

giphy.gif

WHAT ABOUT MY GENEROUS PROPOSAL? ARE YOU IN OR ARE YOU OUT?

I threw a tomato at my screen when Stanley Tucci gave Chris Evans a pep talk in Captain America TFA. Not having any of that after school special, oooo angel dust is bad for you BS in my motion pictures.

She's also a character in a comic book film, not some realistic drama.
The way you say this sounds more like you have a reductive view of comics more than you think the movie is good. You don't have to have those low standards anymore. The world moved on from those kinds of adaptations.

Jarmel

Banned
The villain being so important is only because we have come to think movies are only as good as it's villains. Marvels focus on the characters and circumstance makes the villains part of the plot and not only dynamic.

Superhero movies used to live and die based on the villians, much like a Bond film. Not so much anymore. The movies have moved beyond that, especially something like Cap: Civil War.
The antagonist force in these movies still matter which is why films like The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2 are considered the holy grail of comic book films.

People have just gotten used to the lowered curve.

guek

Banned
What does any of that have to do with the inhibitor chip?
It's got nothing to do with it, supbar just doesn't understand your criticism.

I'd have preferred if they had just gone with the traditional depiction and had the explosion completely alter his personality or give him some form of dual personality. But then again, that would have been a major retread of Osborne so I can understand why they went with the mind control and redemption angle. Even so, Ock still shared a lot of parallels with Goblin anyway.

Please find me these comic book movies with such natural Linklater-style dialogue lmao

It's a great scene. Equating it to attack of the clones is absurd
It's not that the other movies are Linklater, it's that Spider-Man 2 is so far in the other direction that it makes those other movies look like Linklater. The dialogue is really, really bad.

Peter Parker spells it out right at the end. Otto's dreams are scientific breakthrough and more while Parker wants to be normal, be with Jane, etc. but they have to give those up. The entire movie follows that simple idea while adding good ol' Raimi style.

To play devil's advocate, wouldn't his decision to destroy his personal sun battery thingy illustrate that enough without sentient tentacles?

To play devil's advocate, wouldn't his decision to destroy his personal sun battery thingy illustrate that enough without sentient tentacles?

It would but there's many scenarios that can work to create that end. If having sentient tentacles is legit criticism then there isn't really a good enough response to that because the criticism itself is lazy. It's not that the inhibitor chip is bad and degraded the movie but the person doesn't like it.

Litan

Come on. That Aunt May "I believe there's a hero in all of us" speech. Who the fuck talks like that? Even by the standards of characters in Hollywood blockbusters, that isn't believable as a person.
You're dissing one of my favorite scenes from SM2. I love the way it's delivered and it's one of the scenes that always pops into my head when I think of the movie.

The way you say this sounds more like you have a reductive view of comics more than you think the movie is good. You don't have to have those low standards anymore. The world moved on from those kinds of adaptations.

Well I guess count me in with all the other idiots who think it's fantastic :p

It would but there's many scenarios that can work to create that end. If having sentient tentacles is legit criticism then there isn't really a good enough response to that because the criticism itself is lazy. It's not that the inhibitor chip is bad and degraded the movie but the person doesn't like it.
THE INHIBITOR CHIP...

...GONE

Ok, finally took some time to listed to the soundtrack...wow, really, really impressive. Dr. Strange has a VERY solid theme, and one I really hope they don't abandon.

For those who haven't heard it, this track in particular showcases the theme:
Strange Days Ahead

The PotC-like presentation of it at 3:40 is fantastic:
https://youtu.be/q1WDFEcR6HM?t=220

What I've heard sounds nice. Personal preference, I want that sitar turned up.

It would but there's many scenarios that can work to create that end. If having sentient tentacles is legit criticism then there isn't really a good enough response to that because the criticism itself is lazy.

I guess if you wanted to really critique it then you could say that the tentacles 'influencing' him only happens in one scene, after which he's completely fine with the whole deal.

He's hardly some tragic figure who constantly battles these devils on his shoulders, he's a smarmy bank robber who chucks old ladies off buildings. He has the things light his cigars and feed him drinks for heaven's sake.

Platy

Wonder Woman was a smash hit tv series at the time though.

That would only make it more impressive that she does not have a movie considering we have Miami Vice, Jump Street, A Team, Bewitched and other tv series of the time turned into movies

shira

I guess if you wanted to really critique it then you could say that the tentacles 'influencing' him only happens in one scene, after which he's completely fine with the whole deal.

He's hardly some tragic figure who constantly battles these devils on his shoulders, he's a smarmy bank robber who chucks old ladies off buildings. He has the things light his cigars and feed him drinks for heaven's sake.

You could with the first paragraph, because that's fair.

The bolded is because it's Raimi. Just think if he made Warcraft,
Thrall's birth would be a scene of nightmare fuel

Garlador

People talk like that if they're on a stage giving a speech, not when they're talking to other people.

It's corny bullshit.

My grandmother talks like this, no joke. Always eager to tell other people to step up, make a difference, to give short little speeches to friends and family about the merits of doing the right thing, even when it's hard.

... She's amazing. The world needs more people like her.

Jackpot

Banned
Spiderman 2 is an abysmal movie with terrible characters and a laughable villain. Everything about it was beyond saving.

Doc Ock's "transformation" is bizarre even by comic book movie standards. They're just a bunch of robotic arms but straight away a journalist earnestly asks him how he stops them from taking over his mind. Then he picks up a trenchcoat and sunglasses but loses his shirt to show off his abs. "The power of the sun, in the palm of my hands..."

Not to mention the whole MJ bailing on her own wedding for a guy she barely knew from high school who had a mopey crush on her.

They do a repeat of "you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us!" with the cheese off the scale.

Everyone's so weepy and lame. Aunt May just starts crying for no reason at Toby's party.

This actually has me hyped for Thor 3 if you can believe it. The bar has been raised, so it seems.

Love waititi. But mcu, Thor and Loki have me skeptical about it being any good.

Still the directors quirky direction is so good so far. And it's dope that he's got Sam Neill back.

Logan finna be the best comic book movie of 2017. Well I hope so. Trailer was great

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
has Strange been confirmed for Thor 3?

icespide

Banned
Spiderman 2 is an abysmal movie with terrible characters and a laughable villain. Everything about it was beyond saving.

Doc Ock's "transformation" is bizarre even by comic book movie standards. They're just a bunch of robotic arms but straight away a journalist earnestly asks him how he stops them from taking over his mind. Then he picks up a trenchcoat and sunglasses but loses his shirt to show off his abs. "The power of the sun, in the palm of my hands..."

Not to mention the whole MJ bailing on her own wedding for a guy she barely knew from high school who had a mopey crush on her.

They do a repeat of "you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us!" with the cheese off the scale.

Everyone's so weepy and lame. Aunt May just starts crying for no reason at Toby's party.
I like you. The spidey Jesus carry bit in the train plus "we won't yell nobody" shit might be the hardest I've ever cringed at a super hero movie

The Kree

Banned

Ant-Man was better.

BLACKLAC

Spidey 2 (and Spidey 1) is a campy love letter to the classic comic which is why I like it but not love it. Hopefully Watts brings that lived in NY modern feel to Homecoming.

The Kree

Banned
Wait i must have accidentally stumbled into the Spider-Man 2 review thread. I'm looking for the Dr. strange one .. has anyone seen it?

One motherfucking critic dared to invoke Spider-Man 2 in their review and everyone lost their minds like that movie is some kind of sacred cow.

One motherfucking critic dared to invoke Spider-Man 2 in their review and everyone lost their minds like that movie is some kind of sacred cow.

The best part is that the critic in question was only saying that Strange was the most satisfying film SINCE Spider-Man 2, not that it was as good as Spider-Man 2. lol

Dafoe makes SM1 for me, I honestly never liked SM2 as much.

My local cinema isn't putting times for any movies up this week for some reason, maybe their IT guy is on strike. It's supposed to be out Thursday. My GF wants to see this hella bad. Bloody Benzedrine Cucumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom