• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

tomtom94

I've come to one realisation by rewatching random episodes from New Who: the series 5-7 theme is easily the best of Murray Gold's renditions. It's finally overpowered my nostalgia for the S1-3 theme. Perfect mix between orchestral and synth with a proper driving beat.

Also, relating to Big Finish, can anyone tell me which episodes I ought to listen to if I want to understand Zagreus? I gather it fits into the Eighth Doctor Adventures.

I may somehow be sadder about Gomez leaving than I was Capaldi, as inevitable as both are.

As much as everyone goes on about how Chibnall has pressure on him to not cast a white male middle-aged Doctor, doing the same with the Master post-Missy is going to seem like a sucky move as well.

Feffe

Also, relating to Big Finish, can anyone tell me which episodes I ought to listen to if I want to understand Zagreus? I gather it fits into the Eighth Doctor Adventures.
It's the culmination of the first part of the Eight Doctor main range stories (*not* the Eighth Doctor Adventures stories with Lucie).

Storm Warning
Stones of Venice
Invaders from Mars
Chimes of Midnight (one the best DW story ever!)
Season of Fear
Time of the Daleks
Neverland
Zagreus

This is a minimum list of both the arc-heavy episodes (Storm Warning, the Dalek one and Neverland) and the good ones of the original Eight Doctor and Charlie run. Tbh Zagreus is kinda crap, you won't really understand it anyway and it leads almost nowhere.

After Zagreus listen to:
Scherzo (another masterpiece)
The Creed of the Kromon (shit episode but it introduces a new companion, C'rizz)
Faith Stealer
The Natural History of Fear (that's really good, it should be before Faith Stealer but the more familiar you are with C'rizz voice, the better)
The Last
Caerdroria (important for the story arc)
The Next Life (end of the story arc)

At this point the Doctor, Charlie and C'rizz just have some random adventures here and there. Terror Firma and Other Lives are good, the others I don't know because I got bored. Anyway Absolution and The Girl who never Was are the end of their adventures together.

Everything I didn't list is... Honestly not so good.

If you don't care about the story arc and you just want really good stories with Eight just listen to Storm Warning (or read a summary of it), Chimes, Season of Fear, Neverland, Scherzo, The Last, Natural History and Terror Firma. Especially Chimes, Scherzo and Natural History.

Slowdive

Banned
Not really spoilery but from Doctor Who TV's Extremis review about the vault:

Of course we should really address the other big promised reveal of the episode: the mystery of what’s inside the vault. Now for fans who have theorised something outlandish, it’s best to keep your expectations in check and think simple to avoid feelings of a let down. There’s still a chance that Moffat is pulling the wool over fans’ eyes and it’s not quite as straightforward as it seems, but presented as is, it’s a bit underwhelming. But at least it’s something occurring now, rather than dragging it out until the finale.

Looks like it's
Missy then.

Edit:

@MichelleGomez
Let's get this straight people. Never believe what you read. #missydon'tquit @DoctorWho_BBCA

https://twitter.com/MichelleGomez/status/864985105701490691

My DEFINITIVE New Who Companion* Rankings

Donna
Sarah Jane
Rory
Bill
Wilf
Brian
Jackie
Amy
River
Jack
Martha
Mickey
Rose
Nardole
Clara
Adam

*For my purposes, a companion is a character who travelled with the Doctor in the TARDIS on more than one occasion. It's not exhaustive (I don't care if they fit the criteria, I'll be goddamned if I'm putting Dorian Maldovar or Artie and Angie Maitland on the list), but it's a pretty decent criteria.

Bill and Nardole may well move in the next few weeks- Bill's coming for that podium, and Nardole could be really good when we've seen more of him.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
FInally watched the latest one. Another great episode for the season, which is shaping up to be a sweet swan song. I hope Chibanll considers Mathieson in the future even though he hasn't yet.

Bill and 12 keep on killing it. I almost can't believe how consistenly good they are together.

8bit

Knows the Score
Hey, just an aside as I remember but those of you enjoying Jamie Mathieson's work should seek out his film FAQ About Time Travel if you've not seen it.

sturmdogg

My DEFINITIVE New Who Companion* Rankings

Adam

giphy.gif

I fucking love Nardole.

EDIT: First the Vatican and now CERN? Moffat has decided to adapt Dan Brown's Angels and Demons.

No Tom Hanks in sight.

iFirez

I'm slightly worried about the whole 'Doctor borrowing from his future' thing. Loving the flashbacks this episode though, I wonder if the whole idea of relapsing may come into play -- such as a Time Lord relapsing to a previous regeneration.

It's basically Grand Theft Auto.

Oh this is fun with the vault. Missy wasn't much of a surprise, but it didn't drag it out until the end of the series, but there's still more mystery to come.

So when do they enter VR exactly ?

When the Doctor got the email just before the opening titles. Everything in the episode from that point onwards was the data transmitted to the real Doctor by the simulated Doctor until the end of the scene in the Oval Office.

There's no entry point per se - like any computer program they just exist in the simulation from the moment they were developed.

When the Doctor got the email just before the opening titles. Everything in the episode from that point onwards was the data transmitted to the real Doctor by the simulated Doctor until the end of the scene in the Oval Office.

There's no entry point per se - like any computer program they just exist in the simulation from the moment they were developed.

As visually hinted towards with the end of the titles being the computer-static-broken-up, as the end of the simulation was.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ok that was bloody awesome.

Computers can't do random numbers; macguffin that fucks up both religious men and men of science; blindsiding you from the off. Gorgeous.

The only bit I'm not sure was nardole talking about river song. Why was he at the execution?

Oh and wll the doctor ever learn? Missy is not to be trusted.

Does anyone else get the impression that this was originally imagined as a series finale plotline by Moffat? Seems like a very finale-level storyline to me.

Jackpot

Banned
That was a good one.

The makeup was very impressive too.

The only bit I'm not sure was nardole talking about river song. Why was he at the execution?

From the Greg Davies Xmas special, Nardole is River Song's assistant, now cyborg, and is carrying out her last instructions.

Boem

Great, great stuff. This is what I want from Doctor Who. High concept weirdness. Moffat going out with style.

It's obvious why of course, but part of me really wanted them to make the president who committed suicide to look like Donald Trump. I guess he wasn't President in the virtual reality. Couldn't have been all bad really.

Razmos

Jesus that was a ride.

The pope walking in on Bill and Penny was a cute little gag.. but I think they could have gone a little further with it. Maybe have Bill objecting slightly to wanting to aid a man and religion that hates her for what she is, but then doing it anyway because she's a good person. Maybe it's just me.

Top Bottom