• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

hamchan

Jamie Mathieson is real good at writing episodes that are intense and never let up. Thought it was a great episode.

Also dayum at that ending. The Doctor actually paying the price for his recklessness is fascinating and makes the stakes seem higher the rest of the season now.

A thought about Nardole. At first I was afraid they would just keep him as a comic relief idiot like when he first appeared in the show but I like that they've turned him into a more serious and stern character. It seems he's grown from his time with the Doctor, being both his closest friend and also his guardian, someone who really cares about the Doctor's wellbeing.

If they kill him off by the end of the season it'll probably be much sadder than when Clara died, since Nardole has probably been one of the Doctor's closest friends ever at this point.

Who would have thought that giving the Doctor an anchor would be an effective way to raise the stakes for a bit? :D
I'm starting to think machines are a running theme here though, that and death (with preservation as an angle), but that's pretty much given with the show. Soooo, contents of the vault...
Cybermen Susan, Valeyard, or Master / Missy? Like, mind uploaded as a safe from death but still dangerous so the Doctor became forced to imprison it? He never did take that food inside... I'm just throwing shit at the wall here

One of the really fascinating things about the ending twist is that it's an interesting use of one of the show's core unique premises: we know Capaldi is leaving, and we know regeneration will fix the problem, but we've got 8 episodes between now and then - so there's a great tension/wonder to if they'll find another cure (I think they will) or if they'll ride it out.

Also, great that the sonic sunglasses schtick now actually has a new/secondary purpose in that (one presumes) next week they'll act a little like, say, Geordi's visor in Star Trek.

KingDirk

Solid episode. Can't believe how good this season has been. It being so on the nose reminded me of some the pre-revival serials.

Fantastic episode. One of the best in years, to my mind. I might put it as my second favorite episode of the entire Moffat era behind Kill the Moon.

Just amazing direction and a wonderful story. It's great to have an episode with some real teeth to it. Just about every point the show made hit the mark perfectly. Oxygen really is the logical endpoint of capitalism, a system that is already forcing people to pay for water and food. And the sheer brutality of the "plan" in place was something that made a ruthless sort of sense. This was definitely Mathieson's smartest script for the show yet.

Dryk

The most unrealistic thing about that episode is that they apparently were being paid in real money and not company credits.

Maddocks

Wonder how long he will stay blind for, what am I saying, hes going to be fixed next episode.

I honestly figured he would just use some of his regeneration powers to heal since he tossed that power around a few times already.

Quick

Banned
I'm slowly catching up after having a busy schedule the last few weeks.

I just finished Smile, and I like the Bill/Doctor dynamic. Plenty of intrigue and the mystery hooked me in, but the reveal and resolution just didn't sit properly with me. It's like they ran out of time and needed to write up a quick finish. Or, execution for what may have seemed like a solid ending wasn't done right.

On paper, the idea that the Vardy emerged as sentient beings and they're technically the Indigenous beings on the planet is a cool idea. It just felt lacking.

The Mirror are saying the next Doctor is Phoebe Waller-Bridge now: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-cult-comedy-star-10417313

I've only seen her in Crashing and I thought she was pretty good in it (and the show itself, which she created). I guess a season 2 of that is completely dead or in indefinite hiatus if she ends up being the Doctor.

I also just checked her credits and she was in Man Up, but I don't remember her on it. I've also yet to watch season 2 of Broadchurch.

Bluth54

Wonder how long he will stay blind for, what am I saying, hes going to be fixed next episode.

I honestly figured he would just use some of his regeneration powers to heal since he tossed that power around a few times already.

I'm guessing he'll be blind until he regenerates but works out something that allows him to at least partially see (either the Sonic Sunglasses or something else).

hamchan

What's surprising is that there's apparently no mass market technology or medicine in the history of the universe that can cure blindness.

Or there is one but for some reason it didn't work on the Doctor.

A-V-B

Probably a bad idea. Been established you can't toss around regen powers because it actually eats up your lifespan.

Bluth54

What's surprising is that there's apparently no mass market technology or medicine in the history of the universe that can cure blindness.

You think timelords bothered to come up with a cure for blindness? Just regenerate your troubles away.

That was a great episode. Didn't quite reach the heights of Mathieson's Mummy or Flatline for me, but it's up there. So good to see some real consequences come from the Doctor's misadventures.

Regarding how long the Doctor will be blind for, according to some hints from an interview in the latest Doctor Who Magazine:

The Doctor will be blind throughout Extremis and The Pyramid at the End of the World, then will begin regenerating in The Lie of the Land, which returns his vision to normal. His prolonged regeneration will end with him finally changing in the Christmas special.

This is just what fans have deduced from those hints and what we know already so it may not be entirely accurate.

Kuraudo

Banned
The Mirror are saying the next Doctor is Phoebe Waller-Bridge now: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-cult-comedy-star-10417313

She's been on bookies' lists for a while now. Would love it, but I've said that with so many of these rumours which end up being discredited.

That was a great episode. Didn't quite reach the heights of Mathieson's Mummy or Flatline for me, but it's up there. So good to see some real consequences come from the Doctor's misadventures.

Regarding how long the Doctor will be blind for, according to some hints from an interview in the latest Doctor Who Magazine:

The Doctor will be blind throughout Extremis and The Pyramid at the End of the World, then will begin regenerating in The Lie of the Land, which returns his vision to normal. His prolonged regeneration will end with him finally changing in the Christmas special.

This is just what fans have deduced from those hints and what we know already so it may not be entirely accurate.

Reading the synopsis to
The Lie of the Land
it sounds like
it could be Bill who triggers his regeneration.

I've only seen her in Crashing and I thought she was pretty good in it (and the show itself, which she created). I guess a season 2 of that is completely dead or in indefinite hiatus if she ends up being the Doctor.

I also just checked her credits and she was in Man Up, but I don't remember her on it. I've also yet to watch season 2 of Broadchurch.

Glad to see another person who enjoyed Crashing - I thought it was great but it didn't seem to take off. Watch her in Fleabag for her even better, but from the success of that I'd be amazed if she took the roll. She's in such demand as a writer and performer now to tie herself down to Who for 9 months a year seems unlikely, but who knows.

I like that Who doesn't have Harry Potter-tier healing shit, frankly. I know the Doctor /could/ go somewhere and probably get his eyes fixed but given his unique biology it's probably a hell of a hassle. Time Lord eyes probably aren't like human eyes.

Anyway, that ending made the whole episode. And it was a heck of an episode too. Nothing remotely subtle or surprising about its message, but Who needs a good Eat The Rich episode every year or so.

I thought the woman in the cold open specifically wanting a baby made her death actually sad for once. Normally, cold open deaths are pretty generic.

She's been on bookies' lists for a while now. Would love it, but I've said that with so many of these rumours which end up being discredited.

Reading the synopsis to
The Lie of the Land
it sounds like
it could be Bill who triggers his regeneration.

Regarding the spoilers:

From what I've read on Gallifrey Base (I know, not 100% reliable), The Doctor sides with the Monks, causing Bill to shoot him which triggers the regeneration.

MrBadger

How has this season been so far compared to others? I was into seasons 8 and 9, but haven't had much motivation to watch past the emoji robot episode.

Protome

Loved the newest episode, this series has just been hit after hit.

Well, Nardole did use something on him in the episode and thought it had healed his blindness so some kind of cure exists, it just didn't work on the Doctor.

Boem

Man, in that AMA Mathieson isn't shy about openly stating his intentions of one day being the head writer of Doctor Who, after Chibnall finishes his run. He's already making story plans.

Not that he shouldn't say so of course, and I would personally be more interested in him doing it rather than Chibnall, but it just seems so unusual to me that one of the writers is so open about it.

He was also the guy behind the Dirk Gently tv adaption (the one with Stephen Mangan, not the new one on Netflix). I never knew that was him, but I thought that was really good at the time. A shame they never got to make more because they were just getting to the good/weird stuff. Clicked with me much more than the Landis Dirk Gently series. Felt closer to the charm of the books to me as well.

Man, in that AMA Mathieson isn't shy about openly stating his intentions of one day being the head writer of Doctor Who, after Chibnall finishes his run. He's already making story plans.

Not that he shouldn't say so of course, and I would personally be more interested in him doing it rather than Chibnall, but it just seems so unusual to me that one of the writers is so open about it.

He was also the guy behind the Dirk Gently tv adaption (the one with Stephen Mangan, not the new one on Netflix). I never knew that was him, but I thought that was really good at the time. A shame they never got to make more because they were just getting to the good/weird stuff. Clicked with me much more than the Landis Dirk Gently series. Felt closer to the charm of the books to me as well.

This would all require Chibnall keeping the show going long enough for there to be a new show runner.

Bluth54

Well he says that he hopes to become a show runner of another show soon which is probably a good move if he wants to become the Doctor Who show runner. I doubt the BBC will let someone who hasn't been a showrunner before start with Who.

Also it seems like we mostly have the same taste in PC games the list he wrote of some of his favorite PC games is very close to mine. I think I love Mathieson even more now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A lady doctor?

Ludicrous.

Next you'll be pitching a Lady master.

Anyway, when is the movie getting made and why is Jeff Goldblum the first American doctor?

zeemumu

A lady doctor?

Ludicrous.

Next you'll be pitching a Lady master.

Anyway, when is the movie getting made and why is Jeff Goldblum the first American doctor?

I could see that. The Doctor is essentially an amalgamation of every scientific character he's played.

A-V-B

And I'll be there, day one. Dude's a champ writer.

Oxygen is fantastic but I really wish it had been a two-parter. Everything about it, from the base under siege setup, to the Doctor losing his sight at pretty much the halfway point, just makes it feel like an episode that needs more breathing room (pun unintentional).

But equally I love the amount of stuff the episode manages to pack in to 45 mins. All the world building is fantastic, and the general oppressive tone is great.

And its such a little thing, but I like that Bill is clearly still feeling the Doctor out. Its refreshing after two devoted companions that when the Doctor asks if Bill trusts him she doesn't immediately say yes.

The Doctor losing his sight is a great little twist and feels new in a way the show rarely does. Also means you could make an argument for this being the first of a four-parter which is nerdily awesome.

I like that Who doesn't have Harry Potter-tier healing shit, frankly. I know the Doctor /could/ go somewhere and probably get his eyes fixed but given his unique biology it's probably a hell of a hassle. Time Lord eyes probably aren't like human eyes.

Anyway, that ending made the whole episode. And it was a heck of an episode too. Nothing remotely subtle or surprising about its message, but Who needs a good Eat The Rich episode every year or so.

I thought the woman in the cold open specifically wanting a baby made her death actually sad for once. Normally, cold open deaths are pretty generic.

I hope he's blind until the regen. Though he'll probably get his sight back next episode like eating a space biscuit or something.

Well she's obviously not going to confirm it!

It's pretty unlikely purely because the BBC is a publicly-funded broadcaster though and its employees categorically aren't allowed to lie, the government can rip them to shreds for it. This is why when the papers got hold of the fact that Eccleston was leaving only three episodes into his run they couldn't deny it or even refuse to comment to protect the new Doctor cliffhanger; they just had to own up and say "yes, it's true." They can protect story details and stuff, but if casting gets out and things like that they have to be transparent to media questions. It's bollocks really.

This is the peril of being the BBC, I suppose. Sucks.

I don't get why they couldn't just keep mum, whether it's about Eccleston or John Simm or anything really. Lying is one thing, no comment is another.

I've enjoyed each series since Doctor Who came back but so far this is turning out to be the best series yet.

Oxygen was brilliant and an actual consequence for his actions was a nice, making it feel like the stakes are a lot more real than before, which is a great change because one problem has always been that it felt too safe, you know the Doctor and companions would get out safe, unless it was a season final and someone was leaving. The tension was great, I was even worried about Bill for a moment, when they left her in that corridor. If this series keeps up things like that, it's going to be awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm just watching the earlier episodes from this season, and from episode 3, is this the first time the Doctor noticed race being a problem or something?

danm999

I'm just watching the earlier episodes from this season, and from episode 3, is this the first time the Doctor noticed race being a problem or something?

The show nibbled around the edges with it a little bit when Martha was the companion but the Doctor didn't really do anything about it.

Top Bottom