• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm a little disappointed they didn't tease the Doctors next regeneration there, it would have been nice to actually be surprised for once, even if it was for a split second show the next doctor before he decides he doesn't want to change and returns to Capaldi.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The floors thing didn’t make any sense. One second he's saying let’s wait here and fight, then he's saying to go up a few floors which will make no difference at all. Why not try the lifts to the top floor - if the cybermen took the lifts they’d be going at the same relative speeds

1 - Was it Bill who 'killed' him?

2 - It was nice to actually see a Doctor going down fighting on the battlefield so to speak. 9 died of ingesting the vortex, 10 sacrificed himself for Wilf, 11...well, I don't actually remember. I've never rewatched that one - my mind says he died as an old man sat in a room but something must have triggered it.

12? Regeneration prompted by taking on a battlefield full of Cybermen and shot by one. Swag.
He's been regenerating since Bill shot him in the Monks finale. It was very heavily implied that the soldiers forgot to switch real bullets for blanks and he pulled a partial repair.

Hence Missy asking "are you okay, Doctor" after Mars.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Moffat continuing his lifelong skill to write incredible penultimate episodes then completely fluff the landing.

I'm not saying Moff was horny when writing that episode, but the Missy/Master and 'I can fly anything...including you'... have a wank before you start writing, man.

Enjoyed that, good ending if a bit shaky start and relying on 'here's a glimpse from the future! now we work up to that' again.

timewyrm

Bill's exit this ep was amazing. People comparing it to Clara are missing the point of it though.

Clara died and then was brought back. She's still dying, but that moment only gets delayed until she chooses to die in exactly the same spot, same day, yada, yada, yada.

Bill on the other hand:
dies and rather then being some living dead type, goes through an outright rebirth. Superficially the same but there's a pretty massive shift in the focus there. Also, much better set-up then the big gear shift it wound up being in Hell Bent.

I meant as opposed to
"dead" dead like Adric etc. Why does there need to be a "get out of jail free" card, lol :)

Actually, I'm not sure there's been an actual companion death per se in New Who ?

I'm not saying Moff was horny when writing that episode, but the Missy/Master and 'I can fly anything...including you'... have a wank before you start writing, man.

Enjoyed that, good ending if a bit shaky start and relying on 'here's a glimpse from the future! now we work up to that' again.

In the post show thing Moff jokes that him and Russell T Davies joked that they should have wrote a cliff hanger where Missy announces she is pregnant in front of Master and the Doctor and he hands it over to the new show runner in a "Here. Enjoy sorting this out" kind of way.

I dont think the flirting was too bad. Would have been weird if they didnt have some.

It was deeply flawed, poorly edited in places but overall I enjoyed it and managed to make a lot more sense than Clara's exit.

So my latest theory is that Bill didn't leave just because Chibnall wants a clean slate. I think Moffat can't bear other people writing for his characters- hence both Missy, Nardole and Bill all leaving in one hit.

Just a pity they didn't let Capaldi regenerate here, it would have made a great ending to Capaldi's Doctor.

That said, the next 5 months will be hard to get through waiting for the Christmas special.

Not a bad ending, I enjoyed it. Bill's story ended well, with The pilot coming back for her. Shame they held off on the regeneration but I kinda expected they would, like normal.

Great to see The Master still as crazy as ever and his hate for The Doctor still strong, with him killing his future self, rather than allowing her to help The Doctor. Although his plan failed really, as Missy made the choice to stab him and stand by the Doctor in the end.

I hope they find a way for Missy to regenerate and escape, so the Master can return again one day though (I'm sure they will)

Anyway Christmas should be an interesting episode with a 2 Doctors story, with the original Doctor.

Really enjoyed that series finale, much better than the last few years. I was kinda losing interest with Matt Smith at the helm but after a dodgy first series with Capaldi I really took to him the last couple of years, cannot wait to see the Christmas Day special and my 40 year love of the Doctor is rekindled.

Mariolee

I'm keeping expectations low and not expecting to see the new Doctor today. Haven't kept up with spoilers and rumors so don't know how likely it is, but based on one spoiler-free review this episode is surprisingly small and personal for a Moffat finale.

Just hope they can stick the landing after last weeks episode.

Yup told ya.

Really liked how intimate this finale was.

I meant as opposed to
"dead" dead like Adric etc. Why does there need to be a "get out of jail free" card, lol :)

Actually, I'm not sure there's been an actual companion death per se in New Who ?

Because in this case, the get out of jail free card doesn't apply. Clara still gets to have everything before her death, Amy lives out her life with Rory. All of them die, but in a relative painless way. They also get to keep her bodies intact.

Then we have Bill, who pretty much does die. That's clearly her body falling to the ground. But because of Heather gets a chance at rebirth. But before she gets to that part she gets lied to, chopped up and turned inside out. Has her body and mind at war with one another and gets caught up in a massive explosion after which she stumbles to her dead friend and keeles over herself, a price paid.

Nah, sorry. But that ain't getting out of jail for free. That Caves of Androzani level of suffering. And like the 5th she gets a rebirth as reward. Though this time without the rainbow coat.

And correct, NuWho has not yet had it's first true companion death. Though to be honest, Adric's death was always a cheapass way to add shock and drama to Earthshock.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Episode was great and definitely one of the better if not best two parter of the Moffat run.

Waay too many regeneration fakeouts though, and I suspect we'll be getting lots of glowy hands in the xmas episode yet too. Gimme that 13 reveal or announcement now.

timewyrm

Then we have Bill, who pretty much does die. That's clearly her body falling to the ground. But because of Heather gets a chance at rebirth. But before she gets to that part she gets lied to, chopped up and turned inside out.

Now you're making her sound like Peri :)

But seriously, it's like New Who shoves everything but the kitchen sink into your face,
with companion deaths being the kitchen sink

Fair enough, we've seen one story charcters bite the dust, but it's almost like there's no danger involved when travelling in the Doctor's world, although technically you could argue that Donna's fate was worse than death (from a certain point of view).

Why this aversion to showing a companion die and leaving it at that; no rebirth etc ?

All the character stuff was great, it was just a shame it was wrapped up in a slightly weird, inconclusive overarching plot that was perhaps a bit too low-key for its own good. I thought the Master scenes towards the end were absolutely top notch.

Overall, I thought it was a really good episode, I would have just liked a bit more bombast and special effects and a bit less fields n' grass.

M.Bluth

Loved the shit outta that! Yeah, yeah, the whole battle thing wasn't that great, but fuck me, the character stuff was just so damned satisfying!!

I didn't expect I'd tear up as much every time Capaldi got closer to regenerating, and seeing Peter lying in the TARDIS with Pilot Bill over him had me all choked up.

The Doctor in the forest calming down his regeneration is a moment straight outta my dreams, so seeing that on screen would have probably been enough for me... I can't wait for Christmas. I avoided those spoilers and I'm glad, those two will be such a joy to watch!

Why this aversion to showing a companion die and leaving it at that; no rebirth etc ?

Considering that even the classic series used it sparringly, i'm going with that death doesn't provide with many options in how the drama gets written. Yeah sure, it makes travelling with the Doctor seem more dangerous. But that can be achieved with showing something like living death as well. Like Cybermen etc.

But doing a death scene for companion? Well, not as many options to be honest. You have heroic sacrifice, tragic death, killed by a big villain like Adric and death as shock twist(Face the Raven, before Hell Bent). There's only somany ways to kill.

Now scarring or maiming someone? There are a LOT of ways to that. Though even there Who lets most of the companions get easily off.

Bill's ending is far, FAR better than her dying a horrible death. I was delighted at how that plot thread wrapped up.
YES! I loved the moment when the importance of the tear became clear! My man.

Baleoce

WHY DID I SPONTANEOUSLY START CRYING WHEN HE SAID I DON'T WANT TO GO!!

I love that final Master scene with them cackling at each other. Perfect.

That was absolutely brilliant, and like you say, perfect. It suited the character down to a tee.

timewyrm

Considering that even the classic series used it sparringly, i'm going with that death doesn't provide with many options in how the drama gets written. Yeah sure, it makes travelling with the Doctor seem more dangerous. But that can be achieved with showing something like living death as well. Like Cybermen etc.

But doing a death scene for companion? Well, not as many options to be honest. You have heroic sacrifice, tragic death, killed by a big villain like Adric and death as shock twist(Face the Raven, before Hell Bent). There's only somany ways to kill.

Now scarring or maiming someone? There are a LOT of ways to that. Though even there Who lets most of the companions get easily off.

Maybe it's just my memory, but I'm sure that in places, classic Who was a lot darker. Never mind, still doesn't change the fact that I loved this episode.

Is it just me or was there some of the music from Heaven Sent in this ep?

Maddocks

I liked it, almost loved it. Was really emotional and when the doctor gave his speech to the masters I kinda teared up because it was...wow this is almost his final grand speech about his character and why he does what he does.

So I assume the christmas special will be him learning to accept that everyone changes in life and while he can postpone it he cant avoid it and learns to move on. Going to be a long wait.

Baleoce

So, is the Christmas Special going to be a Charles Dickens-esque realisation that beckons him towards his new regeneration? Starting with his ghost of christmas past (the Hartnell impersonator), and ending with the ghost of christmas... future (whoever is taking over as the new Doctor, tying in as the announcement of the new doctor?) *cue the theme tune*

I liked it, almost loved it. Was really emotional and when the doctor gave his speech to the masters I kinda teared up because it was...wow this is almost his final grand speech about his character and why he does what he does.

So I assume the christmas special will be him learning to accept that everyone changes in life and while he can postpone it he cant avoid it and learns to move on. Going to be a long wait.
Yup, "what if the First Doctor had never regenerated? Then you'd be right fucked" The Movie

Kinda. If you think about where they meet it's likely First Doctor will be regenerating soon also. They're going to help each other come to terms with it.

By showing the First Doctor (who also doesn't want to change from his FIRST form) how he's had Twelve (13) wonderful lives he learns to accept it himself. Like reverse psychology on his earliest version.

What I liked:

• The Cybermen are no longer a race, they are a phenomenon - they are what human life becomes when it follows a certain evolutionary path. That's brilliant, a fantastic clarity of the lore. They can happen anywhere.
  • The Master's ending was brilliant - their mad laughter at each other really was perfectly in-fitting with the character.
  • The multiple types of Cybermen fighting in parallel - it would have been nice to have seen some of the 80s Cyberman style in there too though.
  • The very final scene.

What I was confused by (can anyone offer any answers?)

• In part one, how did the proto-Cybermen get to the bridge so easily, and yet their later forces have to blast their way through every deck in their attempts to take over the ship?
  • So is that it for Nardole? He lives with the villagers for a few years until the Cybermen get to him and kill him?
  • What happens to the ship now? Its still a time-dilated factory producing increasingly incredibly-powerful Cybermen - and with them evolving for thousands of years every day - sooner or later they will break out and attack the whole universe?
  • What happens to the blue guy left unconscious on the bridge?
  • When the Cybermen find Missy's body, will they try to repair her ala Bill in part one, as she now fits in their definition of human (two hearts)?

Joqu

I always tend to be a little disappointed by Doctor Who finales, I honestly don't remember the last time I really liked the second part, but I'm happy to report I really loved what Moffat did here. I'm gonna have to do some rewatches to be sure, but I'm pretty certain series 10 is my favourite of his now.

I'm more okay with the way they wrapped up Bill than I thought I'd be. Her conversion was reversed as expected, but at least it tied things back to her first episode. I thought that was rather elegant.

Loved the past regenerations quotes. I'm already getting emotional about Capaldi leaving. :(

Gomez and Simm had some great chemistry. I'm gonna miss those Masters too...

And I had heard the rumours but seeing the first Doctor at the end was still a delight. Really looking forward to that... Christmas... episode. God that's still ways off. I wish we could get one with Susan like Capaldi wanted though, I'm not too familiar with the Hartnell episodes but she must have already been dropped off at this point, yeah? Bummer.

I love Capaldi's growth. He went from "she's my carer, she cares so I don't have to" to willing to die because it's kind. The bigger the hair, the bigger the heart(s).

nsdyyh0.jpg

I'd have a lot to say about this episode if moffat wasn't going, but he is so....whatever. Nothing surprising about how he wrote this episode.

Assuming he has plans to use the character during his tenure, I assume Chibnall will use the Master not wanting to regenerate into Missy as the reason he's still around, by having him change his regeneration. Could get some juice over a fixed point in time like I assume the Master is changing time.

OmegaFax

The episode reminded me of The Time of the Doctor where he has to make a stand to save the Christmas with a hint of Hell Bent from the last series/season. The Pilot was just deus ex machina. I thought the Pilot was a forgettable character.

The episode was a rehash with a little more emotion, a Trump joke, and a boner joke.

Holy shit that was great.

The ending for both of The Masters was excellent.

I loved when The Doctor remembered all of his campanions, all of his previous lives.

mclem

Kinda. If you think about where they meet it's likely First Doctor will be regenerating soon also. They're going to help each other come to terms with it.

By showing the First Doctor (who also doesn't want to change from his FIRST form) how he's had Twelve (13) wonderful lives he learns to accept it himself. Like reverse psychology on his earliest version.

I wonder if Reese Shearsmith might appear in the Christmas Special....

That was solid, if almost a tad RTD-era on the ending, but at least nobody explicitly called it in advance.

Also, apparently a Frey regenerates into a Doctor. Take that, lord of light!

Using the companions before hitting the (presumed) first doctor was a nice little setup of what has mattered to him over time though. And the gong playing as well.

What I will say that is negative about this finale is that the editing was a bit wonky sometimes. Not unclear, just a little off-beat somehow. Maybe due to the longer time for the episode.
But we got some really nice things from it. I also enjoyed how Simms Master was -for once- actually quite well-mannered and without any qualms about having to hold back his true intentions, with that comment on Bill's conversion.

Capaldi's performance was fantastic. He's been a great Doctor and will be a tough act to follow.

I usually feel a bit disappointed by the series finales but I really enjoyed this one. The wait for the Christmas special will be a long one.

Props to the person in here that guessed the Pilot would come back into play in the finale.

Top Bottom