• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

mclem

Because I've not been watching for a couple of series, is it confirmed that Clara is definitely dead and not coming back?

There's been no blanket statement that we'll never see her again. I wouldn't assume anything about that either way.

My gut feeling is that she'll have a part to play in the end of the series, possibly through timey-wimey, and then she's gone for good.

Magwik

Banned
Think about it though. If Clara didn't try to play Doctor:

Ashildr never ends up on the ship
Ashildr never declares war on the Mire
Ashildr never dies
Ashildr never founds the alien society
Clara never dies
Or look at this as the Doctors punishment for messing with life and death

Boem

In the season 7 ep Hide, he did fuck up the pronunciation of a planet called Metebelis 3, which was referenced in several Pertwee stories (and was a location in two of them). In those Pertwee stories, everyone pronounced it as ME-teh-bee-lis 3. And Matt Smith twice called it Me-TEH-Belis 3.

Tom Baker was even worse: he famously couldn't pronounce Gallifrey. He called it Gallifree for his entire run. Tom Baker shouldn't have been the Doctor!

Edit: Was this posted already? Trailer for the Big Finish War Doctor boxset:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doc...nly-the-monstrous---coming-december-14th-2015

Probably the Big Finish thing I'm looking forward to the most. Like McGann, Hurt's Doctor really deserves more time than what was shown on the screen. I know a standalone Hurt tv adventure is probably impossible, so this is the next best thing.

Tom Baker was even worse: he famously couldn't pronounce Gallifrey. He called it Gallifree for his entire run. Tom Baker shouldn't have been the Doctor!

Edit: Was this posted already? Trailer for the Big Finish War Doctor boxset:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doc...nly-the-monstrous---coming-december-14th-2015

Probably the Big Finish thing I'm looking forward to the most. Like McGann, Hurt's Doctor really deserves more time than what was shown on the screen. I know a standalone Hurt tv adventure is probably impossible, so this is the next best thing.

Man that sounds awesome. I can't wait. Big FInish can finally tackle the Time War, and they, IMO are the best people to do it. Who needs to worry about a budget?

Boem

Man that sounds awesome. I can't wait. Big FInish can finally tackle the Time War, and they, IMO are the best people to do it. Who needs to worry about a budget?

I always imagined the Time War as this big insane conflict where the Timelords and the Daleks were constantly rewriting timelines to win battles - a lot of timey wimeyness going on. Not exactly the Star Wars style battle we saw in Day of the Doctor, although I completely understand that they didn't have time to go into that stuff in that story. I hope that that's the direction Big Finish is going with this.

I'm not nearly up to date with the Eight Doctor stories, but have they started going into the beginning of the war yet in his audio's? The war had already started when Paul McGann regenerated, according to the 50th short.

Ashodin

Oh there's definitely insanity going on in the Time War, what with the allusion to the Nightmare Child and Could-Have-Been King and his army of Has-Beens and Never-Weres and shit like that.

The doctor himself did a lot of fucked up shit before he came across the Moment as well.

We only got to see the very end where he breaks into Gallifrey, steals the moment and says fuck it before the 50th happens

I'm not nearly up to date with the Eight Doctor stories, but have they started going into the beginning of the war yet in his audio's? The war had already started when Paul McGann regenerated, according to the 50th short.

They've only just started releasing the first post-New Series licence set of Eighth Doctor boxsets and they weren't allowed to directly refer to the Time War under the old licence. After the four Doom Coalition boxsets there's an Eighth Doctor Time War boxset at the end of 2017 but there's no way of knowing if that follows on or if it's just a random one-off.

Bleeeeeeeh. I really dislike that Clara's exit was just her being dumb and getting killed at the end of an otherwise normal Doctor Who episode. Her character deserved better than that. A little more buildup throughout the season, an actual arc that better explored why she was making those reckless choices, anything. It feels tacked on and a waste of one of the better ideas from series 8. Honestly, I feel like the past two seasons have been interesting opposites; series 8 built the Doctor and Clara up for a conflict that never happened, and series 9 is playing big character moments without any sort of natural, gradual buildup.

I also really didn't like that even when he followed her into the alley at the end she didn't say her death line, even though that was her thing.

M.Bluth

A little more buildup throughout the season, an actual arc that better explored why she was making those reckless choices, anything.

Why? She lost the person she loved and doesn't feel like she has all that much to lose. It's kinda the most obvious thing this whole season.
If anything, they didn't show her being all that reckless (we had like a couple of moments), but the reason is there.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I like this. Doctor saved Ashildr's life at the cost of Clara's.
"I can do... anything. There's nothing I can't do. Nothing. But I'm not supposed to. Ripples. Tidal waves. Rules. I'm not supposed to..."

"I'm the Doctor, and I save people! And if anyone happens to be listening, and you've got any kind of a problem with that, TO HELL WITH YOU!"

ahhhhhhhhhhqfz74.gif

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't think this is really the end of Clara. However, it's somewhat similar to the angels thing with the Rories.

I really do hope for a new companion though.

RetroMG

Just watched Clara's exit earlier today. Great episode, but Clara's death scene, though poignant, seemed weird. The way she seems to thrust her chest at the oncoming bird is weird, and the various cuts of her scream look odd. It looks like, (and I'm sure this is the case,) the director did a bunch of different cuts of Clara screaming, then said, "Screw it, we'll put them all in!"

Dalek

Just watched Clara's exit earlier today. Great episode, but Clara's death scene, though poignant, seemed weird. The way she seems to thrust her chest at the oncoming bird is weird, and the various cuts of her scream look odd. It looks like, (and I'm sure this is the case,) the director did a bunch of different cuts of Clara screaming, then said, "Screw it, we'll put them all in!"

I just watched it today too, and while it was a good episode, Clara's exit just seemed weird. Too bad she wasted her actually GOOD exit in Last Christmas, because that was actually poignant before the rewrite.

Moffat should have given her boot at Christmas. "Actually I want to stay!" "Ter fuckin bad lass, this ending's dynamite, they'll be greetin' intae the selection boxes crooss the land"

Moffat should have given her boot at Christmas. "Actually I want to stay!" "Ter fuckin bad lass, this ending's dynamite, they'll be greetin' intae the selection boxes crooss the land"
AHM STEVEN MCMOFFAT. AND THIS IS MAH SWAMP.

For anybody who's read the spoilery synopsis for the finale:

What are the Time Lords playing at? How do they have the power/influence to extort Ashildr? Cracks again?

That would have made Series 9 very different. It turned out very well with Clara. Presumably Moffat had a transition set up, an interregnum of sorts, but we don't know how that would have worked. Jenna made her decision with ample time for Moffat to change gears.

M.Bluth

I just watched it today too, and while it was a good episode, Clara's exit just seemed weird. Too bad she wasted her actually GOOD exit in Last Christmas, because that was actually poignant before the rewrite.

While it was a nice parallel with 11, I don't think it was really all that good. Her best exit was at the end of series 8.

Really excited for tonight's episode.

Wasn't there a rumour that (potential finale spoilers)
it'd be multi-Doctor in some way?

Here's the rumour from back in August;

“Allegedly what you won’t see coming is a de-generation scene. A flashback through previous Doctors. One can presumably guess that the majority of it would be done with quick cuts via CGI, but we have been told that it will included extended stop-offs at certain Doctors.”

I can see that being the case as some sort of (FINALE SYNOPSIS SPOILERS)
punishment via the Time Lords.

Really excited for tonight's episode.

Wasn't there a rumour that (potential finale spoilers)
it'd be multi-Doctor in some way?

There was, but I don't think there's much scope to that, if I'm honest. However, this is why that rumour has persisted:
Tennant & McGann both visited the set during the filming of the final two on multiple days. I think they were just doing the visit the new/current man thing, though, same way Baker and Davison did last year. Some people have been very firm in their belief that they were filming cameos, though.

There was, but I don't think there's much scope to that, if I'm honest. However, this is why that rumour has persisted:
Tennant & McGann both visited the set during the filming of the final two on multiple days. I think they were just doing the visit the new/current man thing, though, same way Baker and Davison did last year. Some people have been very firm in their belief that they were filming cameos, though.

I agree it's unlikely APZ, but I'm a little confused as to what we'll be getting tonight!

A trial by the Time Lords to see if The Doctor's worthy of bringing Galifrey back...? Are Missy and Davros involved at all?

From Moffatt himself: ""I've figured out the cliffhanger to the penultimate episode of series 9. And it's a whopper. Ohh, I don’t think you'll see this coming!"

Here's hoping the synopses haven't ruined it :\

I agree it's unlikely APZ, but I'm a little confused as to what we'll be getting tonight!

A trial by the Time Lords to see if The Doctor's worthy of bringing Galifrey back...? Are Missy and Davros involved at all?

From Moffatt himself: ""I've figured out the cliffhanger to the penultimate episode of series 9. And it's a whopper. Ohh, I don’t think you'll see this coming!"

Here's hoping the synopses haven't ruined it :\

I'm hoping Moffat would've signed off on the synopsis so whatever happens in the last episode and what we've been told, the cliffhanger tonight is still a bombshell.

And has it really come down to the final two weeks? God that's gone quick. :(

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Gatiss is shit, though. I was always a Moffat fan, but I still had a lot of time for RTD - he knew how to write excellent dialogue and well-built characters. I struggle to think of a single Gatiss episode I thought was remotely even average. I mean, he does great stuff in Sherlock but Doctor Who does not suit him.

I think the difference in the RTD and Moffat eras overall indicates that a show runner's ability to deliver a good story regularly doesn't necessarily indicate how good they'd actually be in the showrunner role, which includes a lot of non-writing duties. For what it's worth,, I think Gatiss would probably be a better show runner for Doctor Who than he is writer for Doctor Who.

"I made the Master a woman, what more do you want from me? Huh? You want to tap a vein? Is that it? You want my blood? Is that what it's gonna take?

My wife is a woman, I'll have you know."

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Top Bottom