• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Damn that was a great episode.

The first half is pretty scary though, wonder how the younger audience reacts to that.

And the preview for the next episode looks pretty boring imo even when it covers some important stuff.

EDIT: Also for some reason I was thinking the entire time this was the last episode of the season as I haven't been keeping track of episode numbers. Glad it's not.

Anyway I think it goes without saying whoever wrote the official synopses for these episodes and let them go out unedited needs to be fucking shot.

I'm imagining how amazing the ending of this episode would have been without knowing Galifey was coming back.

Part of this is down to the cost of the plunging overnights as well, though; while it'd be silly to argue that the show is in any kind of "trouble", the lowering figures mean that they're being way more aggressive with this sort of thing in general in order to try to draw in people to watch more fiercely and all that. The way that Episode 12 synopsis has been or the way they've talked about Clara's fate in general has been fairly indicative of that, I feel.

Zomba13

the way that i called it weeks ago, ugh my power

also, 'nothing is half dalek'

latest

That's not half Dalek. It's 100% shit.

iMax

God if they bring back Meta-10 as the Valeyard that would be completely nuts.There is a shadowy mysterious figure in time-lord robes here: http://i.imgur.com/EA3L3ht.jpg

Also that link seems to imply that
the Clara diner thing is an actual part of the episode, and not just for a photoshoot.

After seeing Tennant in Jessica Jones, I'd be all over that. But they couldn't have secretly got him... could they?

It would qualify for the whole "two warrior race" thing too.

hamchan

Capaldi is so good. Absolutely pulled off that one man show. I love the whole loop thing too. Good episode to scare the kids with.

And the Dark Souls comparison does make me laugh because that's exactly what I thought too. Never ending deaths with rooms constantly respawning.

Mariolee

Wow, that was probably one of the best Doctor Who episodes in a long while. Not because it retreaded the plot of Triangle but because it dared to even go there. Well paced, well shot, and Capaldi delivered a magnificent performance. Incredibly dark, dare I say the darkest Doctor Who has ever gone.

So the original Doctor is dead right? Is this also still Ashildr's fault? Because she's absolutely the worst if that is the case. I still don't get what exactly the Doctor was stuck in in the first place.

Razmos

I've always found that sort of teleporter in fiction to be really weird and full of questions.

If the original body gets disintegrated and a copy is created at the destination, then that counts as the original dying right? it's a creepy idea.

Considering that the whole thing happened inside the confession dial though, are we sure that all the deaths were real?

Magwik

Banned
I've always found that sort of teleporter in fiction to be really weird and full of questions.

If the original body gets disintegrated and a copy is created at the destination, then that counts as the original dying right? it's a creepy idea.

Considering that the whole thing happened inside the confession dial though, are we sure that all the deaths were real?

I honestly have no god damn idea.

Razmos

Actually I just remembered something, the Doctor said that the machine keeps hold of the original, and that all it needs is some energy in order to "finish" the teleport.

And considering that the energy it uses to spawn the next Doctor is given by the Doctor himself.. you could suggest that it is the same original body and energy just being recycled over and over.

So technically he IS still the original, right?(!?)

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

I think so, that's what the Doctor was getting it.
It takes all your information and essentially copy and pastes it. You're the same, but not original. But I hope people don't read into it too much. "He's not the Doctor, but a clone of him" - people, probably. We've had teleporters in Who for years, so you could just imply the Doctor we've been watching all these years has just been a clone.

A bit like the vortex manipulator, cheap and nasty stuff.

I felt the transporter thing was pretty much a writing device to allow the plot to happen while not screwing up the Doctor's age in terms of future continuity references - in future episodes he'll still be able to say "I'm 2000 years old!" or whatever it is these days instead of "I'm... um... two billion years old... sorta... kinda!".

thefro

That was the best episode Moffat's written since he became show-runner and right up there with Blink/The Girl in the Fireplace for me.

Really well-directed, great Murray Gold score, and Capaldi was brilliant.

Amazing stuff.

iMax

How can he have been inside the confession dial if it's in his possession?

If they're going to make the TV movie half-human stuff canon then I hope Eric Roberts is back too

yes I know it's probably just Ashildr

So the Time Lords orchestrated everything so the Doctor will tell them who the Hybrid was? The whole setup seems so elaborate for a group of people trapped in a pocket universe who only wanted a simple bit of information.

And for people trapped there it is mighty impressive that they could enact this plan and have the dial find its way onto Gallifrey.

somedevil

So the Time Lords orchestrated everything so the Doctor will tell them who the Hybrid was? The whole setup seems so elaborate for a group of people trapped in a pocket universe who only wanted a simple bit of information.

And for people trapped there it is mighty impressive that they could enact this plan and have the dial find its way onto Gallifrey.

The planet is trapped but they are able to leave. The Master left, they contacted Ashildr for the dial and
from the preview they brought Ohila from Karn to Galifrey

Plus the information is not simple because the doctor is not going to give it up and the hybrid
is prophesied to destroy Galifrey

mclem

It wasn't in his possession, it was taken by Ashildr and I assume given to to the Time Lords in order to trap him inside.

Actually, I thought that the secret of his Last Will and Testament was that he had trapped Gallifrey in his own confession dial, and to get out he had to... go in.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Pretty damn good episode, Capaldi was amazing on his own, we need more Doctor only episodes in the future.

So, do we think we are going to get that scene from the 50th but form Capaldi's view at some point? I figured that is where we would end up heading but ending up there this other way has made me think otherwise. Unless what happens in the next episode is what makes him join his previous selves to seal Gallifrey away and this visit is a point in time further back than the Time War?

Actually, I thought that the secret of his Last Will and Testament was that he had trapped Gallifrey in his own confession dial, and to get out he had to... go in.

Oh man, can you imagine if he had been walking around with Gallifrey in his pocket this whole time since his War Doctor incarnation.

Magwik

Banned
As funny as Gallifrey "being put away in a pocket universe" literally meant his pockets would be hilarious, that's not it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the thing that lost me a bit in this episode was how the doctor immediately knew that they wanted information about the hybrid

in previous episodes, the time lords wanted his name, i kind of assumed that was the secret they wanted.

So, do we think we are going to get that scene from the 50th but form Capaldi's view at some point? ..Unless what happens in the next episode is what makes him join his previous selves to seal Gallifrey away and this visit is a point in time further back than the Time War?

Oh man, can you imagine if he had been walking around with Gallifrey in his pocket this whole time...

As funny as Gallifrey "being put away in a pocket universe" literally meant his pockets would be hilarious, that's not it.

On the one hand, I can see how and why you'd be dismissive of these notions when written in plain text like that. That the 50th would be, for Capaldi, the closing of a time loop, the result of which leads to him carrying Gallifrey in his pocket without really knowing it.

But on the other hand, I can't say that it's entirely implausible they'd go that route, either...

Mariolee

that is definitely the diner from the impossible astronaut

With Doctor Who it's hard to say if it's because of a plot related reason or because they have limited amount of sets lol Joking of course, I really hope this ties back in with the Impossible Astronaut and that a Clara splinter was sent there to save 11 from officially dying that one time or something.

iMax

With Doctor Who it's hard to say if it's because of a plot related reason or because they have limited amount of sets lol Joking of course, I really hope this ties back in with the Impossible Astronaut and that a Clara splinter was sent there to save 11 from officially dying that one time or something.

No, it's definitely because they have limited amount of sets. Wales is only so big.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Chills man. Absolute chills.

Capaldi was absolutely brilliant. That ending montage was amazing to watch.
I gotta rewatch again.
Next week can't come fast enough.

Not terrible, but not great.

There was a little too much grandstanding for my liking, and some of the episode's plot didn't really do much for me (the whole bit with the Doctor jumping out of the window was everything I dislike about Moffat Who in one scene), but there were some great moments for Capaldi along the way, and the direction was pretty solid.

hamchan

This. Damn toward the end was just amazing.

That whole loop sequence just made me want to shout out "Capaldi is brilliant, Moffat is brilliant, the director of this ep is brilliant, Murray Gold is brilliant, this whole show is amazing".

That's how much I enjoyed this ep.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
also, my dVR cut off any preview there might have been, so if there's a preview can somebody link it?

That was one of the most interesting episodes of the show ever and damn was I invested. Just amazing. Amazing! Even if I dont entirely understand the whole thing.

the thing that lost me a bit in this episode was how the doctor immediately knew that they wanted information about the hybrid

in previous episodes, the time lords wanted his name, i kind of assumed that was the secret they wanted.

I dont really get that either. Sort of came out of left field.

Also I dont have a clue whats going on with the confession dial. Where it came from, why it can do these things, why the doctor had it, just...anything about it. I dont get it.

A follow up question, why would it be trying to tip him off? It's his prison...

I wouldn't be surprised if I've completely missed the point of the dial and it's already been explained in a previous episode. I thought it was just stated to be a last will and testament thing.

That too.

I honestly have no god damn idea.

Pretty much how I feel about that last couple minutes.

Actually I just remembered something, the Doctor said that the machine keeps hold of the original, and that all it needs is some energy in order to "finish" the teleport.

And considering that the energy it uses to spawn the next Doctor is given by the Doctor himself.. you could suggest that it is the same original body and energy just being recycled over and over.

So technically he IS still the original, right?(!?)

Best just not to think too hard about it. That's what Star Trek taught me.

We've had teleporters in Who for years, so you could just imply the Doctor we've been watching all these years has just been a clone.

Yep best to just move on. There is one Jean Luc Picard and there is one Doctor.
Even though stuff and things sometimes.

In fact that TNG episode Lonely Among Us uses the same solution this Who episode did. Data uses Picard's 'energy' fed into the transporter memory to create a new copy.

tZff9Md.jpg

Top Bottom