• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

Magwik

Banned
While I liked the 50th and the idea of Galifrey not being gone, I still don't like the retcon of The Doctor not killing them all.
I don't mind. It opens up new avenues for stories to take place so I'm thankful for that. Just wish the solution wasn't just "I thought I did it but I actually didn't"

"half human, on my mother's side"

bts_lina.gif
What is this a reference to?

M.Bluth

I guess? Both the novels and comic books have tried to retcon it, but as far as I am aware they haven't come close to mentioning it in the actual show. Not that there aren't a number of ways to explain the line and keep the Doctor pure Time Lord. Then again, it could be used to explain why the First Doctor only had one heart. Better excuse than "They don't get the second one until they regenerate."

I don't know if it'll ever be tackled in the show, but if it ever happens under Moffat, IIRC his thinking is that "The Doctor was lying."

Mariolee

Hell Bent (finale) synopsis is SUPER SPOILERY SWEETIE

If you took everything from him, betrayed him, trapped him, and broke both his hearts...how far might the Doctor go?

Returning to Gallifrey, the Doctor faces the Time Lords in a struggle that will take him to the end of time itself. Who is the Hybrid? And what is the Doctor’s confession?

Writer / Steven Moffat
Director / Rachel Talalay
Producer / Peter Bennett

tumblr_mcz0be9w931r65aj5.gif

Oh man, this is gonna be awesome (the finale). Doctor Who is about the only thing I don't mind reading spoilers for. Not sure why.

Until then I'm just looking forward to
Clara leaving

Philippo

Guys have mercy it's impossible for those who aren't going to read the synopsis scrolling down the page and seeing all those black bars and "whoa"s and gifs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hate how the BBC handles this show. They can manage nearly a quarter of the year smothered in strictly come dancing, including a daily show on BBC2 and 2-3 hours across primetime schedules at the weekends, but can't even out a 12 episode run of Dr Who out every year?

If ti misses 2016 that'll be the second time in recent history where they've majorly messed with the schedule. I just don't see how it is necessary? Is it really so difficult and expensive to make? I know US drama series with 20+ episodes is pretty much a full time job, but 12 should be manageable?

While I liked the 50th and the idea of Galifrey not being gone, I still don't like the retcon of The Doctor not killing them all.

I like that Zygon Inversion brought up the fact that, yeah, maybe he didn't wipe out everyone, but he still did some horrible shit that we'll probably never hear about. It's kind of easy to forget, since the War Doctor was brought in and then immediately redeemed and absolved. But I think the implication is he was still a pretty ruthless solider for years and years. For all we know he murdered a decent number of Time Lords before the Moment.

I like that Zygon Inversion brought up the fact that, yeah, maybe he didn't wipe out everyone, but he still did some horrible shit that we'll probably never hear about. It's kind of easy to forget, since the War Doctor was brought in and then immediately redeemed and absolved. But I think the implication is he was still a pretty ruthless solider for years and years. For all we know he murdered a decent number of Time Lords before the Moment.

They do their best to kind of hide that though, and it doesn't help that (while I adore Hurt's portrayal) the War Doctor seems nice or nicer than many of The Doctor's other incarnations.

Johndoey

Banned
They do their best to kind of hide that though, and it doesn't help that (while I adore Hurt's portrayal) the War Doctor seems nice or nicer than many of The Doctor's other incarnations.
That's kinda weird actor issue like Hurt is super duper charming and looks like somebody's grandfather. It does kinda undercut "brutal warrior".

DeathyBoy

Banned
That's kinda weird actor issue like Hurt is super duper charming and looks like somebody's grandfather. It does kinda undercut "brutal warrior".

But that makes it the better for me. I mean they imply that 8 to 9 was a de-aging and The War Doctor did some fucked up shit... then tried to hide it in his older form and didn't want to end the Timelords/Daleks but thought he had to and nobody would understand so he could only speak about it to his next incarnations.

It's similar to the youngsters who fought in the two World Wars, but never told their exploits to their families out of guilt and borderline PTSD. My Grandad fought in World War 2, and was a charming and kind man... but no doubt he saw some shit he could never articulate. War Doctor seems very much that sort of character... and when he's redeemed at the end, it's heartwarming.

Yeah totally. Partly because you don't bring in someone like John Hurt and have him be nothing but a ruthless murderer. That's why I want to know how dark they'll go with the Big Finish stories. I still doubt they'll have him unemotionally killing people, but it will at least allow him to be a bit more complex.

I always thought his secret (rather than he ended the Time War, worst kept secret ever) was that he sacrificed the life of a companion in order to do so i.e. the Moment's activation required a sacrifice.

Because actively ending the life of someone who willingly came on board the Tardis is like the one thing I don't think The Doctor would do.

Boem

So thanks to a confused older lady who had a senior moment while trying to park her car I'm going to watch this episode from the hospital, with a broken leg and full of painkillers. Should be interesting. I'm pretty woozy right now. And this post of 3 sentences is taking me ages to type.

The woman was fine apart from being scared shitless, for those of you wondering.

Boem

Jesus, dude, get some rest. Enjoy your daylong nap.

Yeah I'm probably not going to make it to the episode, I feel like I could sleep for days. Still, there's not much else to do here so I'll put it on if I'm still awake in a couple of hours.

I'm fine really, apart from the leg and some bruises (and my back hurts like hell). Could have been a lot worse. In the end it just means I have a lot of lounging around ahead of me. That poor woman was way more upset about it than I am, which either means that I handle unexpected stress surprisingly well or that these drugs they gave me are awesome.

Oh well, didn't mean to turn this into a sob-story (I'm really fine), and trying to concentrate on writing coherently is getting pretty hard, so I'll let you guys get back to discussing the actual show. I think this is the first episode of the season where I don't really have any idea what's going to happen, so that's exciting

Fireblend

Banned
Oh man, that sucks Boem. All things considered a broken leg isn't that bad of a result against a car driven by the elderly, though; glad you're ok. Hope you have a speedy recovery :)

VegiHam

...wait what? How did that end? Seems like the sand guy melted and then we cut to video guy? But then nothing happens?

Didn't really enjoy this one, to be honest. Just felt kinda pointless.

Top Bottom