• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

I wish I could find the Daleks intimidating. I honestly don't remember the last time I really enjoyed a Dalek story (Doomsday?) I don't think anything will every top the gas mask zombies as far as scare factor goes. Knowing you're about to undergo such a horrific transformation and there's nothing you can do but wait for the leather to engulf you. I had so many nightmares about those as a kid. Hell, I remember those Doctor Who cards they used to do. I had to get a friend to open them and check for any gas mask zombies first to take them out lol.
I'm getting old, you refer to watching them as a kid, and then I remembered, the series has been back since 2005, I was 23 when it came back ._.

the only time I ever remembered having a nightmare attributable to a Doctor Who was when I saw an 80s repeat of Planet of the Spiders as a kid.

Some of the stuff in the modern series must have kids soiling their TARDIS sheets.

Dryk

I was 14 when The Empty Child aired and it was the first and possibly only time I looked up spoilers specifically to avoid nightmares

8bit

Knows the Score
The radiotimes has an interesting article (partly about the cover of the newest DWM) :

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...to-revisit-the-scene-of-the-doctors-own-death

91007.jpg

edit!

Also, a variant cover for a Doctor Who Festival this weekend :

CTiHydSWcAAT3FJ.jpg:large

DW re-uses locations a lot. Looking at the DWM cover, the inside of the Clara's diner looks different to the real Eddie's Diner in Cardiff and the Diner in Impossible Astronaut, which wasn't really changed much from the real Eddie's.

DW re-uses locations a lot. Looking at the DWM cover, the inside of the Clara's diner looks different to the real Eddie's Diner in Cardiff and the Diner in Impossible Astronaut, which wasn't really changed much from the real Eddie's.
There are pictures in the episode of the diner that's definitely the inside of Eddie's, though- there's a particularly noticeable one of the Doctor playing his guitar next to the painting of Elvis at the back. I dunno what's going on with the background of the DWM cover, but the interiors are definitely Eddie's in the episode.

It genuinely is probably just location reuse. Clara also lives in the same block of flats Rose did, technically, just shot to look more flattering/posh.

Gonna miss Clara, time flew by so fast. Wonder how they'll explain away the fact that her incarnations are supposed to follow the doctor everywhere.

Goldrush

Gonna miss Clara, time flew by so fast. Wonder how they'll explain away the fact that her incarnations are supposed to follow the doctor everywhere.

Clara splits when jumping into 11's grave. I don't think she actually have an incarnation past that.

BBC Worldwide North America and Fathom Events announce the return of the longest running sci-fi television series, Doctor Who, to the big screen with a special theatrical event of the 2015 Doctor Who Christmas Special starring Peter Capaldi and featuring the return of Alex Kingston as River Song. The event will be in theaters on December 28 & 29, 2015 at 7:30 p.m. local time and feature an exclusive interview with Alex Kingston, as well as a 15-minute behind-the-scenes “making of” featurette starring Peter Capaldi, Steven Moffat and more.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2015/11/christmas-cinema-111115183008.html

Ophelion

Clara splits when jumping into 11's grave. I don't think she actually have an incarnation past that.

Especially when you consider that Clara has to be alive and whole past the point that split occurs in order for there to be a 12th Doctor in the first place. While the split was occurring, the Doctor's timeline probably concluded with the 11th. But we can only really guess at how future events are being rewritten when some of this metaphysical stuff is occurring that echoes forwards and back simultaneously through the time vortex.

Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Capaldi ad lib.

EDIT: Obscure reference alert: it reminded me a lot of Craig Ferguson's appearance in Red Dwarf.

Less obscure (only a little). It reminded me of the "Your Money or Your LIfe" announcer towards the end of Time Bandits. I'm American, and I'm just reading about Hughie Green now, but I would guess that THAT was an homage as well.

I'm getting old, you refer to watching them as a kid, and then I remembered, the series has been back since 2005, I was 23 when it came back ._.

Welcome to my world. I was just turned seven when my father and I decided to watch this new TV programme. It was the 1960s, Yuri Gagarin and John Glenn were the heroes of my day. My mother had grown weary of my cooption of the family's iron dustbin as a space capsule. You kids...

Welcome to my world. I was just turned seven when my father and I decided to watch this new TV programme. It was the 1960s, Yuri Gagarin and John Glenn were the heroes of my day. My mother had grown weary of my cooption of the family's iron dustbin as a space capsule. You kids...
I have a friend at work who would be about your age, he is from the UK and watched it as a kid. I'm always envious of him just because he has seen the episodes that I'll never get a chance to see due to the missing the episodes :(

It genuinely is probably just location reuse. Clara also lives in the same block of flats Rose did, technically, just shot to look more flattering/posh.

Yeah, as a kid who was raised on a council estate I do wonder if this whole class thing is just about access to money and education. I got the latter from the state, and haven't seriously suffered from lack of the former despite my best efforts. Money might have helped, or hindered. I'll never know because I always had just enough. Education, on the other hand, should be a universal right (and it's a priority of the United Nations, specifically UNESCO.)

So it's a richly amusing to me that the two characters are filmed in the same location.

Both Rose and Clara are "secret life" dramas. They plot the integration of comics and other niche media into everyday life. Both are creations of writers who have been intensely affected by the sexual revolution. Russell Davies and Steven Moffat create strong characters, but with a more-or-less equal gender emphasis. Both of them satirise and utilise the tendency towards normalisation. A young girl saves the world in one episode but everybody has forgotten it in the next. Yes, that is satire, and one of the greatest gifts of New Doctor Who. Clara differs from Rose only in the fact that she already knows she's all that.

I have a friend at work who would be about your age, he is from the UK and watched it as a kid. I'm always envious of him just because he has seen the episodes that I'll never get a chance to see due to the missing the episodes :(

There's no magic there. We don't agonise endlessly because there are no recordings of the original Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Twelfth Night, and The Tempest. The script exists so if you want to do it again you can recreate the event. And we do.

What I find most scary is that many of Shakespeare's dramatic works are from a collection published from actors' notes after his death.

A-V-B

There's no magic there. We don't agonise endlessly because there are no recordings of the original Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Twelfth Night, and The Tempest. The script exists so if you want to do it again you can recreate the event. And we do.

Yet who wouldn't kill to see Richard Burbage performing at the Globe?

What I find most scary is that many of Shakespeare's dramatic works are from a collection published from actors' notes after his death.
I'm sure they aren't as good as my mind/imagination is making them out to be, but for someone whose favorite Doctor is Troughton, I would love to have been able to see all of his work instead of the bits and pieces we have now.

Yeah, as a kid who was raised on a council estate I do wonder if this whole class thing is just about access to money and education. I got the latter from the state, and haven't seriously suffered from lack of the former despite my best efforts. Money might have helped, or hindered. I'll never know because I always had just enough. Education, on the other hand, should be a universal right (and it's a priority of the United Nations, specifically UNESCO.)

So it's a richly amusing to me that the two characters are filmed in the same location.

Both Rose and Clara are "secret life" dramas. They plot the integration of comics and other niche media into everyday life. Both are creations of writers who have been intensely affected by the sexual revolution. Russell Davies and Steven Moffat create strong characters, but with a more-or-less equal gender emphasis. Both of them satirise and utilise the tendency towards normalisation. A young girl saves the world in one episode but everybody has forgotten it in the next. Yes, that is satire, and one of the greatest gifts of New Doctor Who. Clara differs from Rose only in the fact that she already knows she's all that.

Well, it's a bit of a weird one to be specific - for Rose, they actually went to a genuinely rough council estate in London for a lot of exterior wide stuff - and there's amazing production stories of people walking on set in the middle of a take of Tennant's regeneration stagger to the TARDIS shouting "Fucking BBC! You're all poofs!" and the like, or kids pissing on the TARDIS between takes, a member of the production getting punched for trying to stop a man walking into shot, all that. So, Rose's background of being 'working class' was grounded in that real location.

That was then supplemented with a slightly posher area in Cardiff that was a good visual match, and that was used for close-up stuff, the immediate exterior of the Tyler's flat etc - because obviously they could only afford a few days in London per year. Most notably the staircase we see Rose and the Doctor go down during 'Rose' is used for it - a staircase we see Clara ascend again in a very similar shot in Time of the Doctor, and that's the biggest visual clue it's the same location in the show itself.

So, it's not entirely the same location in that the actual 'feel' of Rose's estate was really provided by a different place.

On the subject of class and Doctor Who, I don't disagree that fundamentally the characters are the same, but class is a very real thing (even if it is just a social construct), and it is true that old Who was a fundamentally middle class show by its very nature, by the people it cast, and the accents they spoke in. RTD openly said he made a concerted effort to reverse that with the revival, and that's really how you got Eccleston and Rose, the character, played by Piper speaking in her accent that isn't her own (cos she's posh for real). The Radio Times ran a fascinating article about the BARB and BBC's research into the social groups - ABC1 and all that - and talked a bit about how, under Moffat, Doctor Who is watched by less people in the 'Working Class' categories and more people in the 'Middle Class' categories, probably because Amy lived in a massive house in a small country town, Clara is a seemingly well-off teacher, etc; it does trickle down and make these people more or less relatable to a lot of the audience. It's a rare show that somehow speaks to both (Only Fools and Horses was notorious at doing this, somehow.) It's not a good or bad thing, it's just an interesting thing to look at, the way characters and tone can impact who watches like that.

In line with that, I imagine Capaldi wouldn't have made the comments about wanting to see a working class salt-of-the-earth companion next if he didn't know Moffat was going in that direction, so maybe there's going to be a push to win those people back.

I'm sure they aren't as good as my mind/imagination is making them out to be, but for someone whose favorite Doctor is Troughton, I would love to have been able to see all of his work instead of the bits and pieces we have now.

Yeah, in my memory he was the best. So the videos didn't survive? Calling Radio Free Skaro...

Yeah, in my memory he was the best. So the videos didn't survive? Calling Radio Free Skaro...
Yeah there's still about 50 or so of his episodes lost, we did get 2 serials recovered in 2013 but nothing since then.

Speaking of those 2, still waiting on a good DVD release of them, I heard the original release of them was very bare bones and not up to the usual Doctor Who DVD standards. Want to wait out on Web Of Fear until they do a decent animated reconstruction of it like they have for alot of the other serials missing an episode here or there.

On the subject of class and Doctor Who, I don't disagree that fundamentally the characters are the same, but class is a very real thing (even if it is just a social construct), and it is true that old Who was a fundamentally middle class show by its very nature, by the people it cast, and the accents they spoke in. RTD openly said he made a concerted effort to reverse that with the revival, and that's really how you got Eccleston and Rose, the character, played by Piper speaking in her accent that isn't her own (cos she's posh for real). The Radio Times ran a fascinating article about the BARB and BBC's research into the social groups - ABC1 and all that - and talked a bit about how, under Moffat, Doctor Who is watched by less people in the 'Working Class' categories and more people in the 'Middle Class' categories, probably because Amy lived in a massive house in a small country town, Clara is a seemingly well-off teacher, etc; it does trickle down and make these people more or less relatable to a lot of the audience. It's a rare show that somehow speaks to both (Only Fools and Horses was notorious at doing this, somehow.) It's not a good or bad thing, it's just an interesting thing to look at, the way characters and tone can impact who watches like that.

In line with that, I imagine Capaldi wouldn't have made the comments about wanting to see a working class salt-of-the-earth companion next if he didn't know Moffat was going in that direction, so maybe there's going to be a push to win those people back.

All you're doing here is reiterate the fact that class is a social construct. I could show you the house in which I was raised on Google Maps Street view. It used to be the kind of home a basic industrial worker would live in during the fifties and sixties. Now it's a small private home and the occupants call themselves middle class. Of my family, all working class, all intelligent, every one of them went into higher education. So, are we working class or middle class? I think we are Susan. We live in a junkyard of infinite possibilities.

A-V-B

I wouldn't. He didn't realise that he was making history. The great cult of drama performance came long after his death.

You misunderstand my meaning.

This is about having a chance to go back and witness a performance in a place and time that is, by our standards, unrecorded or lost. The value of seeing the unseen, of great significance to ourselves. You know, the entire concept of Doctor Who. Time travel. I mean, Troughton sure didn't know he was part of something that would last for generations, he was merely carrying on in a role a previous actor could no longer hold onto.

[on Burbage]

You misunderstand my meaning.

This is about having a chance to go back and witness a performance in a place and time that is, by our standards, unrecorded or lost. The value of seeing the unseen, of great significance to ourselves. You know, the entire concept of Doctor Who. Time travel. I mean, Troughton sure didn't know he was part of something that would last for generations, he was merely carrying on in a role a previous actor could no longer hold onto.

Yes, that's actually quite compelling. I hadn't really thought of it that way. The TARDIS almost _requires_ us only to visit history as voyeurs. I am particularly fond of Marco Polo, but I just notice now that the story is only available to modern audiences as a series of stills and an audio track. I just didn't feel the need or have the ability to watch it again. My generation did not have video recorders. If we missed a broadcast, that was that. We used to take that for granted, like not having 24/7 immediate access to a telephone. Like not having paramedics who can save your life in every ambulance.

When my generation dies, it's perfectly possible that the last ever visual memories of that performance will be lost forever, trivial as it may be. In one way I find it extraordinary that the video was so easily lost. On the other hand I find it ridiculous that my elderly adult self still attaches sentimental value to such ephemera.

Yes, that's actually quite compelling. I hadn't really thought of it that way. The TARDIS almost _requires_ us only to visit history as voyeurs. I am particularly fond of Marco Polo, but I just notice now that the story is only available to modern audiences as a series of stills and an audio track. I just didn't feel the need or have the ability to watch it again. My generation did not have video recorders. If we missed a broadcast, that was that. We used to take that for granted, like not having 24/7 immediate access to a telephone. Like not having paramedics who can save your life in every ambulance.

When my generation dies, it's perfectly possible that the last ever visual memories of that performance will be lost forever, trivial as it may be. In one way I find it extraordinary that the video was so easily lost. On the other hand I find it ridiculous that my elderly adult self still attaches sentimental value to such ephemera.
The history of early cinema and TV is somewhat fascinating in just how much of it is lost for all time and in the grand scheme of things its still a new medium. Like there are movies and TV shows we can read on but never see. And then you think back even further, over the centuries how many pieces of art or important books or amazing pieces of music have been lost. What we have left must be only a fraction of what there has been.

The good thing with movies and TV is they are a medium that is easily copied and stored and preserved, but those first 50 or so years people didn't think about what if future generations want to watch this, it was just something made for people at the time to watch and move to the next thing. Before the advent of VCRs and the ability for people to be able to purchase copies or record their own, there was no way for most people to keep copies of things.

Razmos

Which is the episode with only Capaldi?
Episode 11, Heaven Sent

I'm not that hyped for this weeks episode either to be honest. I'm so burned out on shitty found footage films to really get behind the idea. It always boils down to "Your life is in danger, why the hell do you care about the camera?" or "Why are you recording this boring and totally ordinary conversation?"

I don't think I've seen a single found footage film that does it correctly.

Kuros

There are pictures in the episode of the diner that's definitely the inside of Eddie's, though- there's a particularly noticeable one of the Doctor playing his guitar next to the painting of Elvis at the back. I dunno what's going on with the background of the DWM cover, but the interiors are definitely Eddie's in the episode.

In the Radiotimes link posted it said the cover photo was "slightly" photoshoped. More like massively but it explains the difference as it doesn't look a thing like Eddies diner.

Here's something cool I found out the other day. Hearthstone's newest expansion has a Doctor Who reference.

Flavour Text: Don't blink! Don't turn your back, don't look away, and DON'T BLINK.

I still find it crazy how iconic the Weeping Angels have become. They've surpassed the likes of the Cybermen and the Master as far as classic Who villians go and they're almost on the same level as the Daleks now! Never would I have imagined that when I first watched Blink all the way back in 2007 (?) that they would get as popular as they are now.

Ophelion

I still find it crazy how iconic the Weeping Angels have become. They've surpassed the likes of the Cybermen and the Master as far as classic Who villians go and they're almost on the same level as the Daleks now! Never would I have imagined that when I first watched Blink all the way back in 2007 (?) that they would get as popular as they are now.

I feel like we haven't seen anything interesting done with the Angels in ages. Angels Take Manhattan was the last time they were a primary threat. That was years ago.

Also, I'm going to take a moment to say I thought The Silence were brilliant when they were first introduced. The core concept of them is strong. Their inescapable ties to the 11th Doctor's metaplot is not as cool. I don't like that they devised a reason for why you can't remember them. It didn't need a reason. It lessened them and their impact for there to be a stated reason. Their ties to the clerics and the papal mainframe left me cold too. I'm not sure the genie could ever be put back in the bottle to the point where I could feel like they're cool again, but I loved them when they first showed up, so I hope I'm wrong and we get a decent Silence story again someday because their gimmick is great.

Slowdive

Banned
Heaven Sent will be 55 minutes.

First pic:

wqY482m.jpg

Small Sleep No More spoiler:
There's no intro sequence, makes sense since it's found footage I guess.

Heaven Sent will be the extended one? That's interesting. Is that the first time we've had a mid series episode that's longer than normal? Not counting specials.

Fireblend

Banned
Hyped for Heaven Sent, not hyped for this next episode at all. Found footage isn't something that thrills me, and Gatiss is very meh to me.

tomtom94

Actually had a thought about the Angels a couple of days ago: if I could write an episode with them it would be in Ancient Greece. Possibly the most perfect setting for an episode like that... well, ever.

Not sure which famous historical figure the Doctor would interact with - perhaps Plato or Homer.

Top Bottom