• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

PaulloDEC

Heaven Sent will be 55 minutes.

First pic:

wqY482m.jpg

Small Sleep No More spoiler:
There's no intro sequence, makes sense since it's found footage I guess.

That's a pic from Heaven Sent? Doctor back to his Season 8 look, or time-travel shenanigans ala Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, I wonder?

That's a pic from Heaven Sent? Doctor back to his Season 8 look, or time-travel shenanigans ala Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, I wonder?

It's not his season 8 look as that's the new red/velvety jacket, though the light is covering it up a bit there. He wears it throughout the back-end of the series.

663c333f3b0be4ab126d1d013e6f84d78a78a5be_hq.jpg

Vegito

Banned
So I wonder when well get news of whats happening in 2016? I was thinking not till the christmas special during the credits with a doctor who will return.... followed by name of episode and date yada or just a year? or nothing at all?

M.Bluth

It's not his season 8 look as that's the new red/velvety jacket, though the light is covering it up a bit there. He wears it throughout the back-end of the series.

663c333f3b0be4ab126d1d013e6f84d78a78a5be_hq.jpg

It is, indeed. And it's so suave! Although those last few "Introducing Episode..." clips have him in the navy one, so perhaps we'll see him back in it in the Christmas special.
Regardless, I'm glad he's back in this look. I don't mind the hoodie too much, but this is the ideal 12th Doctor look for me.

So I wonder when well get news of whats happening in 2016? I was thinking not till the christmas special during the credits with a doctor who will return.... followed by name of episode and date yada or just a year? or nothing at all?
Thanks to Michael Pickwoad, we basically know that we're not likely to get anything apart from a Christmas special next year. I reckon they don't mention what's coming next until after the Christmas special's done.

tomtom94

Thanks to Michael Pickwoad, we basically know that we're not likely to get anything apart from a Christmas special next year. I reckon they don't mention what's coming next until after the Christmas special's done.

Ah, they've been learning how to do damage control from the UK government, then.

Vegito

Banned

Michael doesnt speak for the beeb. Id take his comments with a very tiny grain of salt. Dont believe until you hear from the beeb.

mclem

It's just struck me: We can't really have a Christmas teaser for Children in Need tonight since they haven't actually finished the series yet, but I find it very hard to believe we'll get nothing Doctor Who-ey. Wonder what's on the cards?

It's just struck me: We can't really have a Christmas teaser for Children in Need tonight since they haven't actually finished the series yet, but I find it very hard to believe we'll get nothing Doctor Who-ey. Wonder what's on the cards?
Prediction: they'll have Capaldi say to call on the set of the TARDIS as a generic celeb donate message

Michael doesnt speak for the beeb. Id take his comments with a very tiny grain of salt. Dont believe until you hear from the beeb.
He's been a bit loose-lipped before, and probably has been told when he's expected to work... things could change but it's a credible source if not final.

mclem

Prediction: they'll have Capaldi say to call on the set of the TARDIS as a generic celeb donate message

Well, yes, but everyone does those. There's usually a bit more from Who, though. But then, if there was anything prepared, we'd have heard by now. So... dunno.

Hell Bent (finale) synopsis is SUPER SPOILERY SWEETIE

If you took everything from him, betrayed him, trapped him, and broke both his hearts...how far might the Doctor go?

Returning to Gallifrey, the Doctor faces the Time Lords in a struggle that will take him to the end of time itself. Who is the Hybrid? And what is the Doctor’s confession?

Writer / Steven Moffat
Director / Rachel Talalay
Producer / Peter Bennett

Vegito

Banned
who thinks Capaldi will leave at the end of series 10? I think its pretty much set in stone that he will. Maybe he does a fourth year of specials like tennant but i think series 10 is his last. 3 years seems to be the max for actors in nuwho. Tennant only did the fourth year cause it was a transition year for the show with moffat coming on board.

The fact that he's not starting work on the series at all until March is him speaking for himself, though.

It makes sense with the filming schedule and Moffat's recent comments. I'd be very surprised if the reality was any different.

Blader

who thinks Capaldi will leave at the end of series 10? I think its pretty much set in stone that he will. Maybe he does a fourth year of specials like tennant but i think series 10 is his last. 3 years seems to be the max for actors in nuwho. Tennant only did the fourth year cause it was a transition year for the show with moffat coming on board.

I'd say that's pretty likely. Capaldi's original contract only runs through the end of this series, and he re-upped for just S10. It's not impossible he'd re-up again for S11, but given everything we've heard about him wanting to take some extra time off + a gap year between S9 and 10, I don't doubt that the next one will be Capaldi's last.

I'd imagine it'd be Moffat's last too, especially if he was originally looking at S9 as his exit, but given how he's talked about how difficult it was to take over the show and introduce a new Doctor at the same time, would he do the same to his successor?

Razmos

If you took everything from him, betrayed him, trapped him, and broke both his hearts...how far might the Doctor go?

Returning to Gallifrey, the Doctor faces the Time Lords in a struggle that will take him to the end of time itself. Who is the Hybrid? And what is the Doctor’s confession?

Writer / Steven Moffat
Producer / Peter Bennett
So the Doctor saves the Time Lords only for them to kill Clara, trap him and betray him? the Time Lords suck ass.

Would be cool seeing some more Time Lord villains going forward

Also it feels weird to be thinking of Capaldi leaving. I liked Matt Smith but his time as the Doctor seemed to drag in my opinion, meanwhile Capaldi has already been around for 2 seasons and it just doesn't feel like it at all.

A-V-B

So the Doctor saves the Time Lords only for them to kill Clara, trap him and betray him? the Time Lords suck ass.

Would be cool seeing some more Time Lord villains going forward

Also it feels weird to be thinking of Capaldi leaving. I liked Matt Smith but his time as the Doctor seemed to drag in my opinion, meanwhile Capaldi has already been around for 2 seasons and it just doesn't feel like it at all.

Pete just got here, man.

To be fair, it also felt like Matt just got here in Series 6, to me. I couldn't comprehend him leaving then.

Magwik

Banned

Writer / Steven Moffat
Producer / Peter Bennett

"Oh it can't possibly be that spoilerific"
Fucking hell it was. You guys probably shouldn't read this.

Blader

Assuming just a Christmas special next year, and then another 12 episode order + special for S10 in 2017, Capaldi would've done the least amount of episodes of the last three Doctors even over their same four-year stretch.

Tennant: 48 (including the 50th)
Smith: 44
Capaldi: 40

Writer / Steven Moffat
Producer / Peter Bennett

tumblr_nc65n94R1I1tvhs57o4_400.gif

Philippo

Shit, 12th speech from last week could never be more actual than these hours.
Cruel to beget cruelty...

edit: re-listening to it now and the "no one else will have to feel this pain" really hit me again

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Writer / Steven Moffat
Producer / Peter Bennett

My god
MY GOD

Writer / Steven Moffat
Producer / Peter Bennett

giphy.gif

Quick

Banned

Writer / Steven Moffat
Producer / Peter Bennett

I'm a sucker for spoilers.

And yep, that's a spoiler alllllllright.

I consider the TARDIS a hybrid. It is a spaceship and a time machine. Plus I assume it is eco-friendly.

But does it have cup holders?

Trike

I think we can rule out them ever making that line canon. It would be super ballsy of them to address that line again.

I think we can rule out them ever making that line canon. It would be super ballsy of them to address that line again.

Isn't it technically canon whether anyone likes it or not?

Not that the canonicity of Doctor Who is of supreme importance or whatever, but it's not like that TV movie "doesn't count" or whatever. It "happened."

Trike

Not that the canonicity of Doctor Who is of supreme importance or whatever, but it's not like that TV movie "doesn't count" or whatever. It "happened."

I guess? Both the novels and comic books have tried to retcon it, but as far as I am aware they haven't come close to mentioning it in the actual show. Not that there aren't a number of ways to explain the line and keep the Doctor pure Time Lord. Then again, it could be used to explain why the First Doctor only had one heart. Better excuse than "They don't get the second one until they regenerate."

canon in Doctor Who is dead. Time can't be rewritten. It can be rewritten. Fixed point. Not a fixed point. At this stage rules mean nothing since the writers change them from episode to episode, scene to scene, thinking it makes them seem clever.
it doesn't

In the words of Slartibartfast, "Hang the sense of it and just try and have a good time."

Quick

Banned
I like it.

But so far as I can tell, nobody's actually taken the time to rewrite that particular line yet. So it still stands.

The best and worst thing about Doctor who is how canon is loose and effectively able to be rewritten.

Doctor says he's half human? Easy swerve: "he was bluffing the Master." (Pretty sure this is what some books or comics describe this as)

Regeneration cap is 13 lives? It's gone now. Wait, no it's not! (Pretty sure the old BBC Doctor Who site had a FAQ that says this was retconned previously during the RTD era). Wait! Here's a new cycle.

Gallifrey is gone? Wait, actually in a pocket universe somewhere.

9 ended the Time War? Insert John Hurt. Also, that's the name of the Doctor!

Top Bottom