• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Trophy/achievements add value to your gaming sessions?

I dunno, why this mod locked my previous thread, but he's yet to get back to me and I feel it was unnecessary, so I'll rephrase. I am signed up to my Nintendo, it is not a progress tracking system across games you play in an ecosystem like PSN or XBL (at least not to my knowledge) but a rewards program that gives you coins for various things. Someone posted a link to My Nintendo as if that was the solution to my question, where I'm checking out My Nintendo now and it doesn't seem anything like a Trophy system. Did Nintendo imply updates were coming or something?

Anyway, some of the initial comments were saying it's kinda extreme to not buy a Switch because of a lack of a comparable system to Sony/MS, and years ago, I probably would have agreed. I just like playing games as well. And while I think GAF as a whole likes to talk/discuss the industry a bit more than actually playing, after finally getting some Platinums in games this generation, it does feel pretty good to have your progress tracked and rewarded. And honestly, I'm not a trophy hunter, I have a bunch of 1% progress in my gaming profile, I simply like to Platinum my favorite games. It's kinda a personal recommendation system for me. The games that I have 100% or 90% of the trophies for are usually my favorite, and it's cool to show friends, scan through, etc..It even makes me feel nostalgic sometimes.

I figured I would get an opportunity to start fresh with Switch. But perhaps not at launch or ever at this point. I don't think I have an extreme opinion on achievements here, as I said I'm not a collector, but it does add significant value to your purchases and IMO rewards high play times. Agreed or Disagree?

Faiz

As a record of what I've done, a little.

When it provides an interesting goal to challenge myself with, a little more.

As a e-peen, not in the slightest.

I've never bothered to go out of my way to 1000pt/plat a game.

My Nintendo gives you coins for completing missions. Missions which by and large, are Achievements.

I'd that carries onto the Switch, what's the problem?

Greedings

Woah, that's a rambling post.

In answer to the title, yes. I do think trophies/achievements add value. Latest example was Titanfall 2. I would never have bothered running the gauntlet to beat a certain time without the trophy. I did it, and learned a ton about movement and momentum in the game.

No, trophies and achievements add no value to my gaming sessions. No one in my circle of gamers I play with give any shits about them. If trophies and achievements went away tomorrow I would not even notice or care. I couldn't give 2 shits about them. They're superfluous bullshit.

JoeM86

I dunno, why this mod locked my previous thread, but he's yet to get back to me and I feel it was unnecessary, so I'll rephrase. I am signed up to my Nintendo, it is not a progress tracking system across games you play in an ecosystem like PSN or XBL (at least not to my knowledge) but a rewards program that gives you coins for various things. Someone posted a link to My Nintendo as if that was the solution to my question, where I'm checking out My Nintendo now and it doesn't seem anything like a Trophy system. Did Nintendo imply updates were coming or something?

How is it not? It's just like the Sony & MS stuff but it gives you rewards you can use rather than glory.

Check out Fire Emblem Heroes ones. They are literally what you'd get in various games

Link Fire Emblem™ Heroes to a Nintendo Account
Clear the Prologue.
Clear Chapter 1.
Clear Chapter 2.
Clear Chapter 3.
Clear Chapter 4.
Clear Chapter 5.
Clear Chapter 6.
Clear Chapter 7.
Clear Chapter 8.
Clear Chapter 9.

Super Mario Run has some daily/weekly repeat ones, sure, but it too has completion based ones
Clear World 1 (full game required)
Clear World 2 (full game required)
Clear World 3 (full game required)
Clear World 4 (full game required)
Clear World 5 (full game required)
Clear World 6 (full game required)

Is it not like it because you can't just throw links around showing them off?

LiK

Definitely. Sometimes I spend a ton of time just getting them. Satisfying and added a lot of value to the game.

i like them

some people tell me gaming a waste of time

but i can look at my trophy collection and see that it was worthwhile, that hundreds of hours of gaming gave me something tangible back

whenever someone gives me a hard time for spending so much time on games, i show them my collection of platinums which makes them shut up

Corpekata

Banned
The only times I do it/ enjoy it is if there's some sort of extra challenge or mechanic, or a game reward. Like in WoW, there's ones that for instance, change up a lot of the fights and might get you a mount if you do a handful of them.

But if it's like, just unlock +15 of a weapon type I don't really like in a Souls game, I'm not bothering.

Tohsaka

I like trophies on PSN, but I don't care about Steam achievements. I'd never actually play a bad game just to get easy trophies, I just go for them if I like the game.

My Nintendo gives you coins for completing missions. Missions which by and large, are Achievements.

I don't want to cash in my trophies, it's the digital version of getting rewards in h/s or something. You put in on your shelf as something you accomplished.

Pretty big difference.

Just a word of warning OP, people have been banned for recreating topics that have previously been locked, although I don't see an obvious reason why this topic would be locked.

Anyway, I like trophies as I use them as a measure of how much I have completed of games, and it's an efficient way to look back and see what I've been playing. If it's a game I love I'll often try to go for the Platinum, but generally I'm happy to fininsh a game with anything over 20 or 30% unlocked.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
It's cool to have trophies, and would be awesome if Nintendo implemented a trophy system on the Switch.

Hoje0308

Banned
I used to enjoy getting 100% on games I really liked, but then I found myself playing games I wasn't really enjoying anymore just to get platinum trophies. So, I turned off trophy notifications last August and have found myself enjoying games more overall. I can play just as many games this way, but without having to binge on them and feel rushed because of the extra time it takes to earn some silly virtual trinkets that no one but me would ever really give a shit about.

Fdkn

I was a completionist before they existed, so I like them.

That doesn't mean I'll do stupid shit I don't like for hours to get them or that I'll buy horse riding games to get easy ones.

If I enjoy the game then yeah I'll try to 100%. However I know there are some out there that I don't have the skill/patience for so I just deal with it for lack of a better description.

Cleve

Nah, they're meaningless. Some are just milestones for moving through the campaign, some are absurd garbage like uncharted's weapon use ones, others are just massive time sinks. None are particularly engaging or rewarding to me.

I don't want to cash in my trophies, it's the digital version of getting rewards in h/s or something. You put in on your shelf as something you accomplished.

Pretty big difference.
What?

The Missions you've earned don't disappear. You can see them anytime you wish. There's just the added benefit of getting coins with them that you can use for other purposes.

What am I missing here? How is this not only a good thing, but better?

Zero added value for me. I could not care less. Only platinum I have is Bloodborne, but that platinum comes very naturally. It's great that it adds so much for others. I'm a little jealous of people who get extra enjoyment from their games just because of trophies.

How is it not? It's just like the Sony & MS stuff but it gives you rewards you can use rather than glory.

Check out Fire Emblem Heroes ones. They are literally what you'd get in various games

Link Fire Emblem™ Heroes to a Nintendo Account
Clear the Prologue.
Clear Chapter 1.
Clear Chapter 2.
Clear Chapter 3.
Clear Chapter 4.
Clear Chapter 5.
Clear Chapter 6.
Clear Chapter 7.
Clear Chapter 8.
Clear Chapter 9.

Super Mario Run has some daily/weekly repeat ones, sure, but it too has completion based ones
Clear World 1 (full game required)
Clear World 2 (full game required)
Clear World 3 (full game required)
Clear World 4 (full game required)
Clear World 5 (full game required)
Clear World 6 (full game required)

Is it not like it because you can't just throw links around showing them off?
No, I don't care about sharing it. There's no "progress". Like there's no overall level to how many coins you've collected, no 100% coin for completing everything in the game etc...atm, it just seems like some mobile games rewards and specific games, Not a system wide thing.

ironmang

I'm a fan for trophies despite not caring too much about them in recent years. It's cool to look through the list and see some things that I take as challenges by the developer like beating RE7 in 4 hours or with minimal use of supplies. I'd probably go for more platinums if they were all skill based rather than most games having multiple trophies tied to collectibles.

I used to be a huge achievement buff during the early 360 years but then kinda started ignoring them over the years when I realized that I'd rather play many games instead of maxing out fewer games.

Interestingly enough I find myself now going back. I've been trophy hunting on the PS4 first the last month or 2 and an enjoying the heck out of it. Platinumed AC2, The Order, Rachet & Clank and several others. Currently working on the Platinum of Uncharted and RE7. I'm really, really having fun at the moment.

I plan on sticking to this kind of gaming in the future. Meaning, buying less games but getting the Platinum in each. Really love the feeling that, when I max out a game, I basically know it in and out whereas when I just complete it I usually don't remember most of it any more. I just feel like I get more out of my games with the first approach.

GHG

Gold Member
i like them

but i can look at my trophy collection and see that it was worthwhile, that hundreds of hours of gaming gave me something tangible back

whenever someone gives me a hard time for spending so much time on games, i show them my collection of platinums which makes them shut up

Oh my... Please be a joke post. PLEASE.

dealer-

To a certain extent yes. I pick and choose a couple that I'd enjoy completing after an initial playthrough. For example, the 4 hour speedrun on RE7 was fun.

I'm not interested in getting every trophy or achievement though.

No, I don't care about sharing it. There's no "progress". Like there's no overall level to how many coins you've collected, no 100% coin for completing everything in the game etc...atm, it just seems like some mobile games rewards and specific games, Not a system wide thing.
Oh boy.

Platinum coins are not only system wide, they are account wide. The coins I earn from missions in Fire Emblem Heroes add to my total, as do the coins from Super Mario Run, Miitomo, and any other game that uses My Nintendo in the future.

What?

The Missions you've earned don't disappear. You can see them anytime you wish. There's just the added benefit of getting coins with them that you can use for other purposes.

What am I missing here? How is this not only a good thing, but better?
Well the only game I see on mines is Mario Run, I guess nothing shows up because I didn't buy the full game. But as I replied to another poster, it seems to be specific games, nothing is tracking your overall progress (Like you user rating/level goes up the more coins you earn) and I'm googling if this is going to be a system wide thing and not getting much official info on it?

EDIT: I'm just reading your comment on top, if that's the case then they have the equivalent of PSN/XBL why aren't they talking about it? That's awesome! Switch being my second console, if really for the those special games where I'm going to put in 100+ hours into like Zelda or Smash or Mario kart, so it's kinda important to me.

Every now and then I use them as some sort of direction or goal for when i want more of the game, but need to aim for something instead of just playing for the sake of it, but those are rare. Typically I just don't care much at all for them.

JCX

Never. I tried getting a platinum once and it was so boring I just gave up. Don't know how yall do it.

Nimmermehr

Neo Member
I did like the achievement system in World of Warcraft back when it was first implemented. It was a nice way to contest against other players in the guild.
As for PSN Trophies, i never really bothered. If i read from people who are buying/playing games only to get easy platinum trophies, i'm just glad that i can enjoy my games without the need to be rewarded in such a way.

Patryn

I enjoy getting them, and I'll generally glance at the list and may tailor my playstyle to get them if they're reasonable.

i like them

You're not serious, right?
Are you just referencing this meme?

tjLHCwS.jpg

Gator86

It only adds value to games I enjoy and would like to experience as much of it as possible.

Yup, they're just extra challenges or ideas/prompts to promote future playthroughs in a different way. They're fantastic for expanding the replay value of a game, if well done. There's literally no downside to them and tons of upside.

Sapientas

I've done some stupid shit for some useless trophies here and there, but overall I feel it adds to the experience.
I was always a completionist and, nowadays, with dozens of unplayed games and new releases every month, it's a good meter to decide when to move on to another one.

This is a whynotboth.jpg situation.

My Nintendos "rewards" have largely been junk anyway, so getting 1000 coins or however many it was on FEHeroes isn't particularly enticing. Especially since about all you can spend them on is refilling stamina bars/the dueling arena limit.

I like being able to see a complete list of what my friends have played and beaten, and they appreciate it for me. Can't do that with Nintendo (yet). And it sucks a bit. If nothing else, it gives a good guide to what I can talk about with them that is/isn't a spoiler prior to both finishing.

Top Bottom