• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

Quacking

In a couple of weeks I'll get one of those puppies:

585xg.png

She's a cross between a boxer and an Italian beagle.

Names that I thought for now:

Smeargle
Missile
Braccobalda bau

Too bad I don't know if I can give her one of those names since I am not the only one who have to choose for the name, it's gonna be more a random thing between the names proposed by everyone. :(

Well I don't like too much the idea of have a dog though, especially because she's gonna be a med/big dog and our house isn't that big, plus we have already a 3 years old cat and I know already I'll be the one who'll have to walk that dog everytime.

But well, I hope I'll enjoy to have a dog again in my house.

slider

Wolf said:
Apologies for the delay but I finally got around to update the OP with every dog owner in this thread. Love that this thread is still going slow but sure, keep the updates coming dog-age.

My Weimaraner and I didn't make the cut. :'(

Ryck

pseudocaesar said:
Maybe it hates olives lol. Are they olives? Could be mushroom maybe
No he wanted it bad... he's just a good boy. We always eat around him so he has learned only to take food when it is handed to him.

Zyzyxxz

RoninChaos said:
Here's my baby girl. Her name is Georgia. She's a german pincher. She's 2 and a half. She's awesome with my son. She likes to jump up on people to say hi. Trying to work on that but don't know how. She's great though.

Here she is a few days after we got her.

Wow as a puppy she looks like a bigger version of mine, she's a mini pinscher and chihuahua mix.

5382168193_c20436ae4d_z.jpg

some recent shots:
5872205872_ddd891b8df_z.jpg

5871648129_e291d106ae_z.jpg

5872205992_a0692c8166_z.jpg

shas'la

Help me dog gaf ! i got my pup yesterday, and everytime i put him in his playpen he starts barking and wants to come out, ive tried ignoring but he gets louder, usually end up saying" NO" in a loud voice, but ive got a feeling that is just still a form of attenion i'm giving him.

Also i though they were only supposed to pee and poo after eating/sleep so i should take him outside after he wakes up eats. But he still pees mid play time after the first pee?

This is harder than i thought GAF ! :(

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Missed you somehow slider, you've been added.

Quacking said:
In a couple of weeks I'll get one of those puppies:

585xg.png

She's a cross between a boxer and an Italian beagle.

Names that I thought for now:

Smeargle
Missile
Braccobalda bau

Too bad I don't know if I can give her one of those names since I am not the only one who have to choose for the name, it's gonna be more a random thing between the names proposed by everyone. :(

Well I don't like too much the idea of have a dog though, especially because she's gonna be a med/big dog and our house isn't that big, plus we have already a 3 years old cat and I know already I'll be the one who'll have to walk that dog everytime.

But well, I hope I'll enjoy to have a dog again in my house.

Personally I like Missile out of that selection, but before that you should really put some hard thought on whether you really want one though, its a big commitment!

Stahsky said:

:lol :lol

shas'la said:
Help me dog gaf ! i got my pup yesterday, and everytime i put him in his playpen he starts barking and wants to come out, ive tried ignoring but he gets louder, usually end up saying" NO" in a loud voice, but ive got a feeling that is just still a form of attenion i'm giving him.

Also i though they were only supposed to pee and poo after eating/sleep so i should take him outside after he wakes up eats. But he still pees mid play time after the first pee?

Well keep hanging in. The first days(weeks) are defintely the hardest, you'll feel exhausted, but you just have to keep fighting.

On barking: He's just a young puppy so he needs to learn what's right and wrong. Ignorig unwanted behaviour is the best way to go, but if it's unbearable, maybe consider that you've moved to fast to whatever situation you placing your puppy in. Try thinking of ways you can gradually make your puppy comfortable with changes.

On pee: Have newspapers and a cloth ready at hand. You'll just have to be patience and it'll come. Expect pee anytime! But soon you'll develop a spidersense that will tingle everytime you dog has to pee, it just takes time.

It is quite a test, it's the most crucial time for you and your puppy and at the same time you have no energy at all due to lack of sleep and constantly being on.

Good luck and keep us updated.

shas'la said:

Always associate the playpen with positive experiences. When you put him it, give him a little treat and make sure there's something in there for him to do like chew toys or the like. If you're worried about upsetting his stomach with something new, just give him a bit of food that he's normally been eating. And you're correct when you said that you're yelling is just another form of attention. You really should wait it out until he stops. He will eventually even though it's torture until then. When he does finally quiet down, either give a treat or even take him out. That will be the reward. He'll get used to it eventually. He'll realize being quiet is the appropriate behavior. The key here is patience.

Also, depending on how young he is, he may need to go once every 5 hours. From what I've heard, their digestive systems aren't completely mature until about 9 months but my pooch was able to hold it for a good amount of time at around 6 months. She wasn't perfect but accidents certainly decreased. She's also crate trained though which really helped.

Also, if you catch him in the act, make sure to pick him up immediately (don't let him finish) and bring him to the place where he should be going. Most likely outside. If he finishes outside, give him mega praise and a treat. The association will eventually be made and your pup will actually start dropping hints the he wants to go out there.

Good luck!

Dead Man

Damn it, I want a dog. My dog got old and had to be put down a few years ago, stupid non stable living situation means no dog until at least the end of next year :(

Anyone who can explain these two behaviours?

1. Dipping paws(front only) in water bowl. Mostly when the water just has been changed. I don't mind it really as it's rather cute.

2. Everytime I run while Shikko is leashed he always wants to grab the leash with his mouth, instead I give him a stick or a toy. Is this just a 'feels good while running' thing or is it something else?

Shikko is almost 8 months now.

Zyzyxxz

Metroid Killer said:
2. Everytime I run while Shikko is leashed he always wants to grab the leash with his mouth, instead I give him a stick or a toy. Is this just a 'feels good while running' thing or is it something else?

My pup often does that and she is about 7-8 months old now too but she does it randomly whether I'm walking here or just on the leash, I find it kind of funny so I don't think much of it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Wolf said:
Apologies for the delay but I finally got around to update the OP with every dog owner in this thread. Love that this thread is still going slow but sure, keep the updates coming dog-age.

On a side note heres a recent shot of Wolf on a recent vacation to the States that my girlfriend and I took.
lm.jpg

Rented a palace of a house for a week with the ocean right at our backyard, Wolf got to go swimming every day and also got filthy when the tide went away. He had a blast no doubt.

Is that a Husky? Such a beautiful dog. More pics, please.

Takuhi

Metroid Killer said:

What kind of dog is he? Sight hounds seem to have an instinctual urge to bite things that grows with the speed at which they're moving.

Metroid Killer said:

My border collie did that when she was young. She was a troublemaker. Took a while to break her of it.

Takuhi said:
What kind of dog is he? Sight hounds seem to have an instinctual urge to bite things that grows with the speed at which they're moving.
He's an Icelandic Sheepdog. It's not a problem, since a 'no' or a stick will stop him from doing it. I'm thinking it may be because he is so excited about running that he can't help but biting on the leash, perhaps it's a puppy thing?

My dog turned 1 yesterday and everything is going well except she is horrible on the lease during walks. I figured she would just grow out of it at first and get used to walking next to me but so far nothing

Thoughts? Right now I use a harness that goes over her back (she'll coke herself until her eyes are red just using the collar). I tried a gentle leader but she never got used to it and kept scratching her face.

Also, the cat still attacks the dog when ever they are in the same room

Gowans

We just got a 3month old Lurcher from a kennel yesurday.

Slowly getting there with wee's n poo's outside.

Problem is he hates being on his own and barks. Got him a cage for tonight but any tips?

HamPster PamPster said:

I had this problem too. My dog was a wuss though so she'd generally just whine at us until someone removed the cat from the room. Eventually though the problem worked itself out. Cat bullied my dog, my dog finally realized she was a whole hell of a lot bigger than the cat, fought back, almost killed the cat. Cat never bothered the dog again.

HamPster PamPster said:
My dog turned 1 yesterday and everything is going well except she is horrible on the lease during walks. I figured she would just grow out of it at first and get used to walking next to me but so far nothing

Thoughts? Right now I use a harness that goes over her back (she'll coke herself until her eyes are red just using the collar). I tried a gentle leader but she never got used to it and kept scratching her face.

Also, the cat still attacks the dog when ever they are in the same room

When your dog tries to pull, just STOP dead in your tracks and turn 180 deg. and walk the other way. After awhile your dog should learn that YOU lead the walk not him. It may be crazy for the 1st couple weeks as you will end up walking in circles, but this seems to work well.

Also, if that does not work well you can try using a prong collar as shown in the photo of my dog, they are NOT painful or cruel as some people think when they see them. My wife uses it as if she decides to go for a small animal or something else she will pull her down.

With walking, basically the prong collar works "itself" without intervention. If the dog gets too far ahead and the leash tightens, so will the prongs and the dog will not lunge forward.

After using this my dog will now walk fairly well along side of me without use of the prong collar with a "heel" command.

andycapps

I have better pictures somewhere, but these from my phone will have to do. This is my 4 year old boxer, Rex. He is big for a boxer, 90 pounds. He's a great dog and pretty lazy.

IMG_20110530_142621.jpg

IMAG0411.jpg

IMAG0454.jpg

Palmer_v1 said:
You can mark me down on your big list as an owner of two Pembroke Welsh Corgis. I'll post pictures later.
Fellow Pem owner! *high five*

I'm thinking about getting another. Is this a wise idea? Do they double in craziness with another one around? I currently have a female who is 7 months old.

I guess I need to go on the big list as well. And why is Welsh Corgi the only one not in alphabetical order on that list?

Gowans007 said:
Problem is he hates being on his own and barks. Got him a cage for tonight but any tips?
Did you sleep in the same room as him? Me and my gf used the first 2 weeks to gradually sleep further away from our dog, until we were able to sleep in a room next to him with closed doors and no barking.

Remember your dog has just been taken away from it's mother, it will need to get accustomed to your rules gradually.

Otherwise ignore/active is the way to go. Good luck!

Edit: Our resident ritual is that while we(me and my gf) are brushing our teeth Shikko gets a rawhide stick when going into his crate. When we are done brushing teeth he's halfway on his stick.
MarleyManiac said:
When your dog tries to pull, just STOP dead in your tracks and turn 180 deg. and walk the other way. After awhile your dog should learn that YOU lead the walk not him. It may be crazy for the 1st couple weeks as you will end up walking in circles, but this seems to work well.
Tell me about it, after a week of staying at my parents summerhouse Shikko has been really bad at pulling during walks, I'm now doing stop and 180 turns every minute which makes me look like a mad man...

joelseph

HamPster PamPster said:
Thoughts? Right now I use a harness that goes over her back [/url]

This is one of your problems. Harnesses that connect behind the shoulders reward dogs for pulling, couple it with one of those retractable leashes and you have the worst situation.

If you won't use traditional neck collars you need to either get the shoulder harness that connects to the front of the dog or the ones that loop around the muzzle. They are called "no-lead" harnesses.

You also need to switch to a standard non-retractable leash.

Do these two things and with some easy training your dog will be on the right path.

For best results you really should get a pronged choker collar and teach the dog to heel.

Gowans

Thanks the probem is he just wants to be out and on the sleeping on the sofa next to us or last night he insisted in being at the bottom of the bed.

We'll try tho n bring the cage in the bedroom tonight.

joelseph

Gowans007 said:
Thanks the probem is he just wants to be out and on the sleeping on the sofa next to us or last night he insisted in being at the bottom of the bed.

We'll try tho n bring the cage in the bedroom tonight.

Put the dog in the cage and wear ear plugs for the first week if he cries. Being strict is the only way.

JoeBoy101

Got a question for the rest of DogGAF.

My 10 year old boxer/pointer mix was just diagnosed with lymphoma. She has a swelling of one lymph node and the other could be slightly enlarged. We're getting her staged in the next few days to see where its at. The Vet has said that its the cancer most responsive to chemo and could actually get her a year or more. Untreated, research suggests she'll have a couple of months. Out plan is to stage her and, assuming its not worse than expected, try a course of chemo.

My question to all of y'alls: Any experience with chemo and lymphoma in general with dogs? Sadly, I early canine cancer experience from an earlier dog, but that was with throat cancer.

joelseph said:
Put the dog in the cage and wear ear plugs for the first week if he cries. Being strict is the only way.
Pretty much this. Don't open the crate when the pup cries. He'll associate the crying with freedom. Don't give the pup any attention at all when he cries. Doesn't matter if it's negative or positive. Be sure to get them to empty their bowels before bed too. Then you'll be sure that the crying is just for attention and not wanting to go outside. If you're absolutely sure they don't need to go out, just ignore. If it's possible they need to go, take them straight out, let them do their thing and then straight back to the crate. Be very matter of fact about it. Same thing if you leave the pup crated while gone. No prolonged goodbyes. Simply crate them with some toys or chewies, tell them to be good and maybe give a treat while the crate door is closed, and then leave.

I'm currently trying to get my pup to be trustworthy enough to be left out of the crate while I'm gone. She's a super chewer though. No matter how many toys I give her, she still finds something that amuses her more.

Gowans

Thanks guys we will follow the tough love to the letter and be strict.

In this way should we try to leave the pup downstairs straight away?

He's 17 weeks old, was a stray and has been in a shelter with other dogs most of his life,

Confused101 said:
Pretty much this. Don't open the crate when the pup cries. He'll associate the crying with freedom. Don't give the pup any attention at all when he cries. Doesn't matter if it's negative or positive. Be sure to get them to empty their bowels before bed too. Then you'll be sure that the crying is just for attention and not wanting to go outside. If you're absolutely sure they don't need to go out, just ignore. If it's possible they need to go, take them straight out, let them do their thing and then straight back to the crate. Be very matter of fact about it. Same thing if you leave the pup crated while gone. No prolonged goodbyes. Simply crate them with some toys or chewies, tell them to be good and maybe give a treat while the crate door is closed, and then leave.

I'm currently trying to get my pup to be trustworthy enough to be left out of the crate while I'm gone. She's a super chewer though. No matter how many toys I give her, she still finds something that amuses her more.

This...we did this with my pup too. It was PAINFUL for the 1st two weeks or so (wanting to let her our of the kennel when she cried) but we held fast to our rules, because once they realize you will let them out for crying you are back to square one again. We left the crate in our bedroom though to give her comfort knowing we were close.

It took our GSD til she was around 2.5-3 yrs old until we could FULLY trust her out of the kennel all day while working. She would occasionally get into things, mostly socks, underwear, shoes...anything that smelled like us. She eventually rid of those habits and now has free roam of the house throughout the day.

Ettie

A good rule for those with young pups, especially small breeds:

They can hold their water and waste one hour for every month old they are up to six months. This is less true for large breeds that reach physical maturity quickly.

I have a five pounder that's two years old. She can go every three hours if we'd take her.

Thanks for reminding how lucky I am that my dog doesn't chew on anything he isn't allowed to. Must be a breed thing because we certainly didn't teach him to behave so nicely... on the other hand he tend to bark a lot when alone.

Gowans007 said:
Thanks guys we will follow the tough love to the letter and be strict.

In this way should we try to leave the pup downstairs straight away?

He's 17 weeks old, was a stray and has been in a shelter with other dogs most of his life,
You got him yesterday right? I would say use 3-4 days where you move gradually away from him (same room as him-> next room with open door ->next room with closed door, etc.). And yeah if any accidents happen at night, deal with it while wearing your pokerface.

MarleyManiac said:
We left the crate in our bedroom though to give her comfort knowing we were close.
I did this as well. It does help when they know you're right there. However, they also know you can hear them when they cry. They don't cry forever though and eventually they will know that the only way to get out is to be quiet.

I'm at the point where I can trust my 7 month old corgi to roam around the bedroom and bathroom at night time. I have the crate in there with the door open so she can go in as she pleases. A lot of times I find her sleeping in the back of the crate. She still has accidents but she's only had 1 in the past week. I think I was because I didn't let her out before bed. My own fault. She still can't have free reign of the house though. Going to wait a bit longer to try that again.

joelseph

Ettie said:
A good rule for those with young pups, especially small breeds:

They can hold their water and waste one hour for every month old they are up to six months. This is less true for large breeds that reach physical maturity quickly.

I have a five pounder that's two years old. She can go every three hours if we'd take her.

It is also good to get dogs under two onto a strict bathroom schedule and location. Develop a schedule that fits your dog size and age and stick to it. Also try and take them out to potty at the same times and to the same spots.

Hey Guys,

My gf has two family dogs back home (terrier mix litter mates, a brother and sister). On Saturday, she had to fly back up to her hometown, because the sister is not doing well. She is normally healthy, but among other things, her kidneys are failing and it's only a matter of time now.

I'm really sad for her, because those dogs were with her during some tough family times growing up. I feel so helpless; any advice on how to help her through this? I've been supportive, but I don't really know what I would do once they have to put her to sleep. I've visited her family many times and I love those dogs like they were my own now too. What she gets really sad about (me too) is that she believes once the sister is gone, the brother's time will come very shortly.

The dogs are both about 14 years...so I get they've lived a full life...but now all that's happening is delaying the inevitable, which is such an awful feeling.

:(

joelseph said:
It is also good to get dogs under two onto a strict bathroom schedule and location. Develop a schedule that fits your dog size and age and stick to it. Also try and take them out to potty at the same times and to the same spots.
^^^ Yes, this. Dogs love schedules. Once they get used to it, they will be letting you know when it's time. My puppy knows I wake up every day at 7:00am to get ready for work. If I try to snooze the alarm, she's jumping on the side of the bed wanting to be let out and to eat her breakfast. If I want to sleep in on the weekends, I still have to let her out and put her food down but then I can go back to bed and she'll usually follow and take a quick nap.

Quacking

equap said:
lolz. what the hell is this??? did you smear butter all over the camera lens or something?
I didn't take this genius, it was a shoot of the owners that used the phone probably, I still have to meet that dog.

Anyways... After an extraction we decided that the dog will be named Maya.

Cheska

A ton of incoming pictures, so beware!

Meet Blaze and Warrior, my two Siberian Huskies. I have more pictures of Blaze because he actually stays still enough for me to take them lol

Puppy Blaze
GR012-1.png

Adult Blaze, red/white Husky, 2 years old.

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

Warrior, black/white Husky, 5.5 years old.

IMAG0021.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

They're pretty much my everything. I work in the animal field, and people always think I'm nuts for owning two huskies. Don't let those charming blue eyes fool you, these dogs are shedding machines, and they are the biggest babies when it comes to treatment. But they are so lovable and absolutely amazing with other people and pets.

Gowans

Well last night went crap.

Cage in bedroom right next to bed and the pup barked and barked and barked, ignored him for 20mins but by then the neighbours will be getting mega pissed of as he was loud.

He just wanted to be at the bottom of the bed which we do not want at all but after the four hours sleep from last night and not to wake our poorly sleeping two year old we did the worst possible thing and let the pup have his own way.

HELP!

Top Bottom