• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

My beagle, Clara. Loves eating and sleeping and investigating outside areas for food.

221794_1981179885120_1111860498_2313195_2397120_n.jpg

165710_494479202568_569487568_6130115_8256132_n.jpg

5333306079_69ce4d3464_z.jpg

199822_10150118530637569_569487568_6631712_5086621_n.jpg

shas'la

Hello dog-GAF, im going to become a dog owner for thr first time next week, The breeder has been amazing, sending me videos each day of him growing up, and playing with his litter mates.

I *THINK* i've got everything ready for him, i know the key to success is routine, but im still unsure how to house train, ive read a few theories, like as soon as they've eaten take them outside - then praise play after. Or others such as wait for them to start pee/poo then take them outside. I dont want to faff around changing my routine so what works best for you more experienced dog gaf?

PS he's a 3/4 Pug/Cavalier prince charles spaniel.

Puggle = Pug + Beagle mix.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
My beagle, Clara. Loves eating and sleeping and investigating outside areas for food.

Your Beagle does fine off-leash? I used to have a beagle and I never trusted his nose. I don't trust my new Puggle's nose either. Once a hound gets a scent, they can wander off.

Anteater

My two buddies! A girl and a boy

paDt6.jpg

ajNTm.jpg

NPdQa.jpg

q6s1x.jpg

Ultra attack beam motherfuckers!
I think that's what the move is called, I don't watch ultraman

BKl2D.jpg

shas'la said:
I *THINK* i've got everything ready for him, i know the key to success is routine, but im still unsure how to house train, ive read a few theories, like as soon as they've eaten take them outside - then praise play after. Or others such as wait for them to start pee/poo then take them outside. I dont want to faff around changing my routine so what works best for you more experienced dog gaf?

I wouldn't recommend waiting for them to pee/poo inside and then move them outside. But if they start doing something inside it's a good idea to cary them outside. Otherwise just make sure to take him outside very often in the first few weeks. In my case I had to take my dog out every 2nd hour, but luckily only once at night for the first week or so.
I would wait 5-10mins after he's eaten before taking him out though, just so the food can get a chance to run through the system.

Good luck! And I *THOUGHT* I got everything ready for my dog as well. Oh boy! Even 3 years of waiting and preparing was nothing compared to the real deal :p

shas'la said:
Hello dog-GAF, im going to become a dog owner for thr first time next week, The breeder has been amazing, sending me videos each day of him growing up, and playing with his litter mates.

Crate training is the only way to go, in my opinion. Make sure the crate has just enough space for him to sleep in (some crates have dividers). The idea is that dogs never piss/shit where they sleep (unless they were abused in the kennel/pet store and forced to sleep in their shit).

And yes, take him outside after every activity - sleeping, eating, playing,etc. You'll need to wake up every 3 hours in the middle of the night to take him out to pee. 7-12 week old puppies can only hold it about 3 hours, but more often than not they will go almost every hour during the day. Forget newspapers and wee-wee pads, it'll only confuse the dog's concept of inside vs. outside.

Xkvwc.jpg

My Border Collie/Blue Heeler(Australian Cattle Dog). By a wide margin the smartest dog I've ever owned and I grew up with German Shepards.

Useless guard dog though! She pokes her head through the gap between the fence and gate with a toy in her mouth and as soon as she sees someone walking past on the street drops it just in case they want to come down and play with her.

teruterubozu said:
Your Beagle does fine off-leash? I used to have a beagle and I never trusted his nose. I don't trust my new Puggle's nose either. Once a hound gets a scent, they can wander off.

Most of the time yes. I have always been able to get it back to me by just having some treats with me, but it has run away from me once, kept running like 10 to 15 meters in front of me and refusing to come back until it eventually got all the way back home, guess it just didn't want to be outside anymore but still pretty terrible as it was in the streets, luckily no cars on the way back.

shas'la said:
Wow , you really are going for the triple breathing problems , bad genes, heart disease whammy.

My family have had 2 cavaliers, both had to be put down at age 11 because they suffered from heart failure/attacks.
It's heart breaking to see them deteriorate at 'old' age.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Something hilarious about this one.
In general it's incredible how unphotogenic puppies/dogs. Of course I believe that my dog is the most beautiful dog in the whole world, but the amount of herp derp pictures makes me think otherwise...

shas'la

SneakyStephan said:
Wow , you really are going for the triple breathing problems , bad genes, heart disease whammy.

My family have had 2 cavaliers, both had to be put down at age 11 because they suffered from heart failure/attacks.
It's heart breaking to see them deteriorate at 'old' age.

:(

shas'la said:

You will need to take him out every couple hours for the first week, and gradually reduce the trips outside as he gets used to his new environment and his bladder becomes a little stronger. Taking them outside preemptively and after eating gets them used to feeling comfortable pissing and shitting with grass or dirt under their feet, as opposed to waiting until they make a mistake on the carpet. Treats, lots of positive attention, and some play afterward will encourage good habits. Also, when my dog was a puppy, I generally only had to wake up once a night to take her out, but every dog is different in that regard.

Crate training is a must. As someone mentioned above, dogs are den animals and won't shit inside their den unless they absolutely can't hold it. The crate should be spacious enough for him to lay down and stretch out.

Also, you should definitely expect some accidents inside, and as with any bad behavior, it's a bad idea to raise your voice too much. Dogs are bred to respect a pack leader, and a fair leader wouldn't be overzealous and lose their cool when keeping their pack in line. Easier said than done though. Good luck, and don't forget to buy lots of extra cleaning supplies and treats!

Oppo

lawlohwhat said:
Also, you should definitely expect some accidents inside, and as with any bad behavior, it's a bad idea to raise your voice too much. Dogs are bred to respect a pack leader, and a fair leader wouldn't be overzealous and lose their cool when keeping their pack in line. Easier said than done though. Good luck, and don't forget to buy lots of extra cleaning supplies and treats!
This is definitely good advice. You have to stifle the urge to say NOoo and just quickly pick up the pup and take them to the door. Theyassociate where to go with whatever is under their feet, and if you can get them to grass relatively quickly, they learn fast. Just don't yell at them. It becomes pretty easy to see when it's Danger Time as they will kind of try to fid a corner or something and start to circle.

First 6 months with a puppy require lots of patience but it becomes way way easier after that.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm not running for congress, but I guess I'll go ahead and post a pic of my wiener.

tswWr.jpg

Edit: Crappy pic due to crappy phone camera. She's a puppy (about 2 years and 2 months) and a lot more adorable than that picture gives justice to.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
2 weeks til I'm reunited with my poochies. Last time they saw me one of them peed themselves with excitement. I love dogs :p

Doomsayer

2ba043.jpg

I have a German Short Haired Pointer, fittingly named Heidi. She's extremely intelligent and has more energy then any dog I've ever owned.

Metroid Killer said:
Hmm being a new dog owner I always find it a bit difficult to figure out when to go to the vet or not.

My dog got a scratch on his tail some days ago (we think it may have been from tuesday as he were playing pretty roughly with some other dogs). It's just a minor scratch at the size of a small coin, however we didn't notice it until yesterday(friday) where it was somewhat infected. Cleaned the scratch and disinfected it and will continue doing it twice today and tomorrow.

Shikko's mood is the same as usual, so I assume there is no need to go to a vet, since it's just a minor scratch? Or am I wrong in my assumption, and that any wound no matter size should be treated by a vet when it's infected as well?

It's not bleeding btw.

Thanks again dog-age.
Well since the state of the scratch has been pretty much the same all weekend I went to the vet this morning. Apparently Shikko has a 'hotspot' on his tail(near the root), meaning that his own bacterias has infected the skin in the spot, commonly due to moisture getting caught in the fur near the skin. 4-5 days of treating the area with a balm should do the deal. Thanks for the help as always gaf.

pseudocaesar said:
My Akita, Oscar. He's 6 weeks old, I pick him up in another 2, cant wait.

*image*
Awwwwwwww

Kosmo

Banned
Fuck this trend of "boutique breeds" like the Puggle jacking the price up on mutts. We had to put our Bullmastiff down a few years ago, probably going to go for another dog in a year or so..

teruterubozu said:
Crate training is the only way to go, in my opinion. Make sure the crate has just enough space for him to sleep in (some crates have dividers). The idea is that dogs never piss/shit where they sleep (unless they were abused in the kennel/pet store and forced to sleep in their shit).

And yes, take him outside after every activity - sleeping, eating, playing,etc. You'll need to wake up every 3 hours in the middle of the night to take him out to pee. 7-12 week old puppies can only hold it about 3 hours, but more often than not they will go almost every hour during the day. Forget newspapers and wee-wee pads, it'll only confuse the dog's concept of inside vs. outside.
That's exactly what we did for our pup. I waited for about 30-45 minutes before taking her out along with the crate training. We had her potty trained in a few weeks. I wish potty training my son was that easy.

Any idea what to do about long claws? My girl has black claws, and she freaks when the vet tries to clip them, so it's on me. I accidentally hit her quick once and it's freaked me out every since. Suggestions?

Here's my baby girl. Her name is Georgia. She's a german pincher. She's 2 and a half. She's awesome with my son. She likes to jump up on people to say hi. Trying to work on that but don't know how. She's great though.

Here she is a few days after we got her.

IMG00060-20090127-1424.jpg

IMG00053-20090126-0826.jpg

Her and my son.
photo-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

She's the best.

RoninChaos said:
Any idea what to do about long claws? My girl has black claws, and she freaks when the vet tries to clip them, so it's on me. I accidentally hit her quick once and it's freaked me out every since. Suggestions?
hit her quick? what exactly? while trying clipping her nails?

Anyway here're the two methods I recommend:

1. Secured between legs.
The end result of this method should be that you can sit down with your legs spread out and your dog laying between them on its back, relaxing completely.
Step 1) Before any clipping is done at all, make sure your dog is able to relax between your legs. Keep eye contact and reward relaxed behaviour with positive speech and petting. Whenever the dogs tries to turn around or escape tighten your control over your dog with your legs and hands. Train in short bursts, lengthen the duration gradually. Remember to release whenever you are done.
Step 2) Once your dog is perfectly fine with laying on its back between your legs, start working on it staying relaxed as you fiddle around with her legs and paws. Again gradually progress until you can squeze and apply preasure on the paws without your dog trying to break free.
Step3) Introduce the nail clipper, and repeat the same training pattern always making sure your dog is relaxed by every step.

Note1: Don't reward your dog with treats while laying on its back as it can choke on them. Only reward with voice, petting and toy.

Note2: Since your dog is already afraid/freaked of the act of getting its nails clipped you will have to be veeeeery patient working with each step.

2. Dedicated clicker training for clipping nails.
Another method is to use a clicker. Here the focus relies on your dogs attention to do the correct behavior in order to get a reward click/treat, and this method way be better if your dog is very treat happy.

Click here for a step by step instruction video.

RoninChaos said:
She likes to jump up on people to say hi. Trying to work on that but don't know how.
1. If you are close the other person, say NO firm and clear and pull your dog down. Reward. Don't say NO from a distance unless you are sure it results in your dog getting down.
2. Have family members or friends help you out by turning their backs to your dog everytime it jumps up and reward and turn around when it'll sit down.

My puppy(7 months) still jumps on certain people especially dog owners as he has found out that some will give him treats if he jumps up(grrr...), but with my mother and mother-in-law he knows they wont give him any treats/compliments from them if he jumps up.

Good luck!

Ryck

For some reason my dog Kornelius is in love with one of our Wii controllers. He carries it around and sleeps with it.

k4.jpg

k3.jpg

k2.jpg

K1.jpg

Freakin weirdo

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Apologies for the delay but I finally got around to update the OP with every dog owner in this thread. Love that this thread is still going slow but sure, keep the updates coming dog-age.

On a side note heres a recent shot of Wolf on a recent vacation to the States that my girlfriend and I took.
lm.jpg

Rented a palace of a house for a week with the ocean right at our backyard, Wolf got to go swimming every day and also got filthy when the tide went away. He had a blast no doubt.

Top Bottom