• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Domino's Australia making pizza oven w/ 3 min cook time, aiming for 10 min deliveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://mashable.com/2016/04/07/dominos-three-minute-pizza/

Getting a pizza cooked in three minutes and delivered to a customer's door in 10 minutes is a wild fantasy, but for the Australian arm of pizza chain Domino's, it's a genuine goal.

The company has labelled it "Project 3:10," and it's a bit like an Olympic sprinter trying to beat their 100-metre time. Except that it's ham and pineapple pizza.

"It's being rolled out as we speak," Don Meij, CEO of Domino's Australia, told Mashable Australia. "It was planned, thought through and tested until Christmas. We already have six stores enabled, and now we're full steam."

Meij said he believes it'll take around three years for the project to be rolled out across all stores in Australia and New Zealand.
There are currently 700 stores open in this market, but Meij said by 2019 he hoped there would be 850 stores. The concept will then spread to locations in seven countries, with Japan likely the first non-Australian and New Zealand market location to try it out — potentially in six months.

As to how it will actually work, Domino's has designed its own "smart" ovens to help crack its goal.

Meij wouldn't go into detail about the technology for proprietary reasons, but explains the thinking behind the new "smart" ovens is that it pushes convection and radiant heat onto the pizza at the "right point at the right time" as the pizza goes along the conveyor.

Without any modifications to current ingredients, Meij said the oven has currently been able to get it's cook time down to 4 minutes and 10 seconds. Not quite three minutes, unfortunately. Meij said there is an option to alter the ingredients to help with time, but the company isn't looking to do that just yet.

It's in comparison to an old "dumb" oven, with the same temperature throughout the cooking process, which has a total cooking time of 7 minutes and 15 seconds, Meij said. Merely speeding up the conveyor and increasing the heat on these ovens would result in a burnt, undercooked pizza.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...a-domino-s-recipe-to-extend-an-800-stock-gain

Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Ltd., whose stock has jumped more than 800 percent in five years, wants to take fast food to another level: the three-minute pizza.

Australia’s biggest pizza chain is trialing high-speed cooking technology and military-grade delivery robots in a bid to cut typical baking and delivery times by more than half, Chief Executive Officer Don Meij said in an interview. He’s calling it Project 3-10: pizza ready to take away in three minutes, or at your door in 10.

“The growth that’s going to come from that is mind-boggling,” said the 47-year-old, who started his three-decades long career at Domino’s as a delivery driver.

Meij’s challenge is to maintain growth that in the past decade swelled profit tenfold and turned Domino’s into Australia’s best-performing consumer stock. Having persuaded customers to order more using their mobile phones, Meij is asking them to embrace other innovations to get fed faster -- like a 180-kilogram (397 pound) wheeled robot that scans an eyeball before handing over hot pizza and chilled soda.

In the past 10 years, Domino’s investors received a total return of more than 2,000 percent as profits surged, according to Bloomberg data. Yet expectations are cooling: the stock is projected to advance only 6 percent in the next year, following average gains in the past seven years of 60 percent, the data show. It was at A$57.08 as of 1 p.m. on Monday in Sydney.

Domino’s is set to trial robotic pizza deliveries this month in Brisbane, and the machine should be in service on Australian streets in 2018, said Meij. It will be more cost-effective and safer than a human courier, Meij said. It’s even able to cook on the move.

Yet Meij’s latest targets also depend on thousands of new shops to cut delivery distances.

“Ultimately, we need more stores,” said Meij. “We need to get the kitchen closer to you and get the kitchen really efficient.”

By 2025, the group could be running 4,250 stores worldwide, according to a February presentation by Meij. To hit that target -- almost an additional 2,000 stores -- Domino’s needs to open about one new shop every other day.

The company may enter more markets in 2017, either by buying existing Domino’s chains or converting local pizza companies, he said.

“While we’re in three regions in the world right now, we’re not opposed to being in a fourth,” he said. “We’d like to do more countries.”

PaulloDEC

The delivery time was already fine for people who don't have dangerously low patience, but okay I guess.

Hopefully pizza that is actually properly cooked is a side effect of this new technique.

I only eat Dominos when I'm overruled or real pizza isn't available, but that doesn't mean I don't want them to improve their shit, okay?

dity

What happens if the little robots get robo-napped?

How will it deal with my second floor apartment?

Is waiting an extra 5 mins for a shitty dominos pizza the worst problem the company is facing? Seems like they're clutching at straws for growth.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
How come when I order pizza sometimes it's cooked well and sometimes it's burnt? I thought those machines just pushed them through on a timer so it's the same every time

pfkas

Needs to spend less time in the 'quality control' phase. ie waiting for a delivery guy to come pick it up.

PaulloDEC

Is waiting an extra 5 mins for a shitty dominos pizza the worst problem the company is facing? Seems like they're clutching at straws for growth.

The emphasis on delivery time has already reached weird and sinister levels. I had to order Domino's pizza for a get-together recently, and not only do they now have a live-updating pie chart on your phone for the cooking process, but it switches to a GPS map for the delivery phase that shows you in real-time where your driver is.

I don't need to know that. Give me an ETA and stop pandering to the weirdos who need to know how long their driver waited at the traffic lights.

dejay

Banned
The emphasis on delivery time has already reached weird and sinister levels. I had to order Domino's pizza for a get-together recently, and not only do they now have a live-updating pie chart on your phone for the cooking process, but it switches to a GPS map for the delivery phase that shows you in real-time where your driver is.

I don't need to know that. Give me an ETA and stop pandering to the weirdos who need to know how long their driver waited at the traffic lights.

It's better than "about 40 minutes" that turns into 90 minutes.

This doesn't sound like a good idea. Not the 3 minute cooking time, which, if it works, is good for business, but the 10 minute thing.

Don't get your customers thinking that their pizzas will all be delivered in ten minutes. Don't do that to the drivers. Didn't they learn anything from the 30 minutes or it's free debacle?

I'm not a pizza eater, myself, but it's not smart business.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Wouldn't this be just like Blaze Pizza?

They cook theirs in 3 minutes and from what I've experienced, it's definitely better than Dominos.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Domino’s Pizza Enterprises Ltd., whose stock has jumped more than 800 percent in five years, wants to take fast food to another level: the three-minute pizza.

In the past 10 years, Domino’s investors received a total return of more than 2,000 percent as profits surged, according to Bloomberg data.

I said God Damn!

Nevasleep

Thats pretty damn useful, especially when the delivery driver can't find where you are.

Window

Growth has been not a problem at all for Domino's Australia.

I believe 10 min deliveries are already in place. You can pay a $10 surcharge or something for your pizza to be delivered in 10 mins. You get a free pizza or something like that if it's not delivered in 10 min.

Yeah I kind of find this weird as well. They're trying very heavily to portray themselves as an innovative company. See also their automated delivery system announcement which sounds a bit questionable in how it's accomplished. It does all seem very gimmicky.

PaulloDEC

It's better than "about 40 minutes" that turns into 90 minutes.

I'm all for an accurate ETA, but the level of detail is just starting to get weird. Might be just me.

Thats pretty damn useful, especially when the delivery driver can't find where you are.

But there's no way to contact the driver (as far as I know), so the communication is one-way? There's no way for you to assist the driver in finding you.

I'm curious as to how this will affect their sales.

Assuming that their Aussie pizzas are the same as the ones in NZ, Dominoes is probably the best cheap pizza you can get. Pizza Hut is disgusting by comparison.

But there's no way to contact the driver (as far as I know), so the communication is one-way? There's no way for you to assist the driver in finding you.

It's not actually for you... well, not really. It's for their managers.
They now have a GPS track of where their drivers are, and how long they're at each stop.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Isn't 3 minutes about how long traditional pizzas take to cook in a wood fired / brick oven?

Dominos becoming artisanal.

tuna_love

Banned

Assuming that their Aussie pizzas are the same as the ones in NZ, Dominoes is probably the best cheap pizza you can get. Pizza Hut is disgusting by comparison.
pizza hut shits on them from great heights in my humble opinion

MGrant

That's a good target time for a decent brick/wood-fire pizza oven. Most restaurant pizza chains cook that shit too slowly and I find it chewy/doughy compared to a pizza cooked on a good stone. I'm intrigued.

Peagles

pizza hut shits on them from great heights in my humble opinion

I feel like this is variable depending on where in NZ you are. In my humble opinion, best Pizza Hut > best Domino's but Domino's I find is far more consistent, there's a much higher chance of getting bad Pizza Hut than bad Domino's.

Domino's is cheaper too mostly.

Also I find Domino's is a lot drier and Pizza Hut a lot greasier; depending on your preference this could be the deciding factor. Domino's tends to stay crisp as leftovers but Pizza Hut goes a bit soggy.

Both can be damn good food for your dollar though, esp at ~$5 per pizza.

Zombine

Banned
The dough they use and the shit they put on the crust is comparable to subway bread. When you bite into it it has a texture that no pizza should ever have...it's like a stale thin loaf of bread coated with old garlic and sweat.

It's a fucking abomination. It's the pizza version of John Carpenters The Thing.

Mik2121

Always surprised by how people speak about Domino's in the US and other countries. Here in Japan their pizzas are pretty damn good, about average in price (pizza in Japan is generally expensive, anyway...) and they tend to have tons of coupons and stuff going on that make them much cheaper. Plus you don't tip!

Window

Always surprised by how people speak about Domino's in the US and other countries. Here in Japan their pizzas are pretty damn good, about average in price (pizza in Japan is generally expensive, anyway...) and they tend to have tons of coupons and stuff going on that make them much cheaper. Plus you don't tip!

Yeah Domino's Japan = Domino's Aus = Domino's NZ (and a few others).

Domino's US is a separate operation.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Dominos pizza is maximum garbage here IMO. It's not worth the price (no chain here is, you're right) but it's so expensive and so shitty that literally those uncooked refrigerated pizzas at super markets for like ¥300 are better!

I feel we might be pushing the pizza sciences beyond a safe limit.

ThisBusinessWillGetOutOfControl.jpg

phoony17

The New Farm store in Brisbane already delivers in average of 12 mins. Believe they just have 100% electric push bikes as well.

Brofist

Dominos pizza is maximum garbage here IMO. It's not worth the price (no chain here is, you're right) but it's so expensive and so shitty that literally those uncooked refrigerated pizzas at super markets for like ¥300 are better!

That's crazy talk. There's no way in hell the shit frozen pizza you find in a Japanese supermarket is better than anything.

In Japan you'll do no better than Costco for pizza.

dity

Ugh no thanks. Gross. Even more gross than Domino's, Pizza Hut, or Eagle Boys.

If you want good pizza, buy from Crust.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
That's crazy talk. There's no way in hell the shit frozen pizza you find in a Japanese supermarket is better than anything.

In Japan you'll do no better than Costco for pizza.

Ugh no thanks. Gross. Even more gross than Domino's, Pizza Hut, or Eagle Boys.

It's not frozen, its just cold and uncooked, and the cost-to-taste at ¥280 > Dominos!!!!!! ¥2000 for a small pepperoni or whatever that tastes like garbagio is too insulting.

Costco is pretty good. One on my city but having to buy a membership / walk there kind of sucks.

A place called "Slice" in shibuya is pretty good but it's expensive.

jchap

Ovens that cook pizza that fast were invented a thousand years ago. Brick ovens can run > 1000F

main01.jpg

GavinGT

Banned
10 minutes is incredibly unlikely unless conditions are optimal. 2 minutes to prepare + 3 minutes in the oven + 1 minute to bag + transit time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom