• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Domino's Australia making pizza oven w/ 3 min cook time, aiming for 10 min deliveries

Status
Not open for further replies.
A $4 vegetarian pizza from woolies with some anchovies and mozzarella cheese is far better than anything dominoes can serve up

thefro

How come when I order pizza sometimes it's cooked well and sometimes it's burnt? I thought those machines just pushed them through on a timer so it's the same every time

The belt goes at the same speed whether you have the works or a plain cheese pizza. Dough's hand-tossed (decent amount of variance here) and the ingredients all get put on in somewhat differing amounts in locations depending on who's making the pizza.

You'll also have big bubbles in the dough that pop up which you have to open up a door on the side of the conveyor belt to pop, which lets out heat out.

When one gets burnt, typically either the belt gets jammed up or a pizza comes through and isn't done, so they push it back in the oven or let it run through again.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This doesn't sound like a good idea. Not the 3 minute cooking time, which, if it works, is good for business, but the 10 minute thing.

Don't get your customers thinking that their pizzas will all be delivered in ten minutes. Don't do that to the drivers. Didn't they learn anything from the 30 minutes or it's free debacle?

I'm not a pizza eater, myself, but it's not smart business.
Yep, that's a really terrible idea. Drivers need to be properly informed by the staff about the deliveries up, to know what the other drivers are doing to select pizzas between each other that go on a single route so they aren't trying to deliver pizzas on opposite ends of the delivery zone, then they need to actually physically get the pizza out the door, into the car, and safely secured, then traffic/weather is completely out of their hands, then if they have a delivery before you the have to submit to the speed of the person receiving it, whatever else. It's incredibly dumb to say you're going for 10min deliveries. We live in reality, and making policy that tries to force workers into aiming for fantasy performance will just result in clusterfucks every time.

Tugatrix

Ovens that cook pizza that fast were invented a thousand years ago. Brick ovens can run > 1000F

main01.jpg

kevin-spacey-gif.gif

magenta

Will the robots get upset if you order 15 minutes before closing?

In Australia Domino's stops taking orders 15 minutes before closing.

Yep, that's a really terrible idea. Drivers need to be properly informed by the staff about the deliveries up, to know what the other drivers are doing to select pizzas between each other that go on a single route so they aren't trying to deliver pizzas on opposite ends of the delivery zone, then they need to actually physically get the pizza out the door, into the car, and safely secured, then traffic/weather is completely out of their hands, then if they have a delivery before you the have to submit to the speed of the person receiving it, whatever else. It's incredibly dumb to say you're going for 10min deliveries. We live in reality, and making policy that tries to force workers into aiming for fantasy performance will just result in clusterfucks every time.

I doubt they are trying to do this for all deliveries. They already offer a guaranteed 20 minute delivery if you pay a surcharge, this will be the same only bigger. You are effectively paying to jump in front of the line. Most orders will still be done in regular time because people are cheap and don't want to pay extra so they will wait.

Apt101

Ovens that cook pizza that fast were invented a thousand years ago. Brick ovens can run > 1000F

main01.jpg

One of the TV's in the gym has been broken and stuck on whatever channel Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives plays on, and I saw a restaurant with a little wood oven like this where they cook pizzas in three-ish minutes. I'm guessing that achieving high heat in a short amount of time while being safe enough for a fastfood kitchen is only part of the problem, but also something non-cooks could handle and that won't burn the super-cheap ingredients and frozen dough used in most pizza joints.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There was a place where my parents live that had a mega oven that would do the same thing - cook pizza super super fast. It tasted like absolute hot fucking garbage. Let pizza cook.

One of the TV's in the gym has been broken and stuck on whatever channel Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives plays on, and I saw a restaurant with a little wood oven like this where they cook pizzas in three-ish minutes. I'm guessing that achieving high heat in a short amount of time while being safe enough for a fastfood kitchen is only part of the problem, but also something non-cooks could handle and that won't burn the super-cheap ingredients and frozen dough used in most pizza joints.

A major difference is that dominoes and most fast food pizza is almost twice as thick as your common artisan wood fired pizza. The pizza will likely burn while being undercooked in spots in such an over. High heat oven pizzas usually have to be thin to get right.

Wood fire fast cooking usually gives some burnt edges, which fast food joints try to avoid completely.

//ARCANUM

TEN MINUTES?!?! That's longer than the amount of time that I usually (stupidly) think about wether or not I should get pizza.
of course I want pizza

10 minutes is incredibly unlikely unless conditions are optimal. 2 minutes to prepare + 3 minutes in the oven + 1 minute to bag + transit time.

2 minutes prep time is pretty slow under optimal conditions, and generally only happens when people order online and change 11 of the toppings making the orders screen borderline unreadable for the people making the pizza.

An experienced, well trained, motivated employee at Dominos can turn out a passable Supreme pizza in around 25 seconds, or a Hawaiian/Pepperoni in 5-10.

It's not artisanal/gourmet cooking, but 10 minutes is doable for homes in the streets/suburbs nearest a store.

The whole business model of Dominos revolves around making ordering delivery easier than going out to pick up dinner, since in Australia they're pretty much the only chain that delivers (although Red Rooster is trying to enter the market). If it's quicker and more convenient to get pizza delivered than to go out and pick up fast food from literally anywhere else, you're likely to go with pizza.

How come when I order pizza sometimes it's cooked well and sometimes it's burnt? I thought those machines just pushed them through on a timer so it's the same every time

Others have already answered this question but another likely cause is that the guy cutting the pizzas wasn't able to keep up and there was basically a traffic jam on the conveyor belt, leaving some pizzas sitting in the hot part of the oven for longer than they're meant to be.

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^^^^ Those ducking change everything orders. It's a maze when you see people choosing a pizza just for one arbitrary ingredient. We don't have any pizzas with a ton of meat and I really see why when someone orders a ham, pepperoni, beef, whatever and there's a sea of grease on top of the pizza.

I have no idea how domino's does it, but where I work there can be tons of reasons for that.
-We have full control over the oven temperature so it could have been set too high.
-While it is a conveyor belt you can still push the pizza further inside the oven (undercook) or leave it just outside if there's a que (heating it up and eventually overcooking it).
-The amount of toppings can change how it looks. Too little cheese and the cheese could be quite burnt, or if you have to much cheese it could be completely white all without changing oven temp. This is more anecdotal, but pineapple seems to have a fairly big effect on the rest of the pizza. If I put too much the pizza usually comes out looking undercooked.
-This is similar to the second point, but the pizza could have stood in the heat for a while and gotten too warm. The topping could have heated to room temp and the dough could have risen too much. The latter can result in a burnt crust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom