• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Coolwhip

Banned
First impression: looks, plays and sounds great! This game makes me wish the screen was higher res again though. Damn shitty 3DS screen.

The game keeping track of if you get the Kong pieces in mirror mode (Gnok pieces?) is fucking devious, I love it. Original didn't do that, right? I don't remember that being a thing but I haven't gone back to mirror mode in the original since I conquered it

I'm almost through with world 4 in mirror, but I stopped playing last night right before the real ridiculous levels to beat with only one heart start. I know I'm going to hate myself and the game all over again for all the boss and temple levels left

I wish you the very best of luck with 4-K and 4-B.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Murrah

Banned
I wish you the very best of luck with 4-K and 4-B.

Hahahha, thanks. 4-K isn't that bad, but yeah, pretty much all the bosses from here on out are gonna be awful. Dunno if I'm gonna be able to do it all again since I had way more freetime to go through mirror mode on the original, but I'll try

branny

Well, got done with World 8 and am a bit disappointed. This game would've been so much better if half of its levels weren't full of "make-sure-you-do-it-exactly-like-this" linearity.

If you're going to require memorization through some strictly predetermined route, at least make the payoff worth it. With modern Sonic games, I get to devise my own optimal path and run it blazingly fast once I get everything down. With Mega Man Zero, the result of memorizing a stage is wrecking shit like a badass and being rewarded with EX Skills that make me even stronger. The same goes for Metroidvanias that are linear in design but offer upgrades to progressively enhance the experience in return.

What perks are there in DKCR's linearity that offset constantly requiring the player to wait for the game? Time trials are much more liberating without that collect-a-thon junk, but you still have to play most levels on their own terms, and other things like wall bumping become even bigger annoyances. Rolling jumps already must be more or less committed to, so I don't understand why we have to wait so long to do one whenever Donkey changes directions, as well.

I'm of the mind that some of the best platformers out there encourage creativity by giving plenty of options. I'm not really getting that with DKCR. It's hard to explain, but I feel like I have little identity playing it, like I'm just going through the motions. I've been watching playthroughs, speed runs, and TAS nonsense on YouTube of DKCR and other platformers like Super Mario World and DKC2 for the past hour just to make sure I'm not crazy, and there is definitely a difference. Hopefully I can illustrate this sentiment with the help of a few videos:

This SMW TAS is positively brimming with personality, humor, and showmanship, all because Mario's core mechanics and power-ups contribute to that kind of open-ended creativity, tool-assisted or not. The variety on display is nuts and likely won't be executed by regular players, but it's still there.

This DKC2 one is different because it's a more traditional TAS focusing simply on getting the best times possible. It's interesting because it helps show how much more varied DKC2 is in general on the player's side of things. Beyond the often optional animal friends that drastically change how one approaches situations, you have the better bonus rooms, partner swapping, partner/cannonball throwing, hook climbing, and speedier, more nimble rolling.

Anyway, compare those videos to the ones on this excellent DKCR TAS playlist. Your average run consists primarily of rolling and jumping (since blowing and pounding are mainly relegated to secrets), with spectacle only stemming from deftly avoiding all the hazards that would otherwise wreck your fun. It's a bit underwhelming, right?

These are absolutely extreme examples that are obviously not the case when playing like a normal human, but I believe they're the best way for me to express the nagging feeling I had the whole time I was making my way through DKCR. There's plenty of challenge and strong level design, but Donkey's no-frills foundation (and its iffy application within the game) brought things down for me, I think. It definitely has something to do with how interactive each game feels.

Thoraxes

I almost broke my 3DS in half after losing 30+ lives to 4-3 to 4-B.

Playing on classic.

4-B was the easier one though, but I figured out
I could skip parts of the phases by jumping on the train car when we were on declines, which cut the time of the fight in almost half.

Neiteio

Anyway, compare those videos to the ones on this excellent DKCR TAS playlist. Your average run consists primarily of rolling and jumping (since blowing and pounding are mainly relegated to secrets), with spectacle only stemming from deftly avoiding all the hazards that would otherwise wreck your fun. It's a bit underwhelming, right?
NOPE. There's much more to the "rolling and jumping," namely the huge variation in degree the player applies, whether repeatedly edging the Circle Pad to counter-steer midair, or only -lightly- pressing jump to clear a gap without hitting a falling ceiling above. Those are just examples. The moment-to-moment control in DKCR is far more involving than its predecessors.

Sculder

Neo Member
DKC is one of my most beloved games when it was on SNES, and it looks like this specific iteration might actually be worthy of a play. The last one I actually enjoyed was DK 64.

XaosWolf

Currently on World 5. Further than I got on the Wii version.
Having roll on a button press immediately makes this version my favourite.

Oh, and is there any other levels like W4-2 Grip 'n' Trip? That level was tonnes of fun. =D

I still struggle to understand why so many people hate the Wii version due to the motion controls. The only motion control that annoyed me in the slightest was the blowing. Everything else felt totally natural and fun, especially the shaking the Wii remote to pound the ground. The rolling was borderline for me, but certainly nothing that even came close to ruining the experience. The 3DS controls have actually resulted in more accidental rolls off the edge of a cliff than the Wii version ever did for me.

I bought the 3DS version because this game is so awesome that I love being able to carry it with me at all times, but this version is by no means the definitive version mostly due to the resolution and the 30 fps. The Wii version is gorgeous and runs as smooth as silk (albeit without the extra levels.)

Bottom line: If you're enjoying the 3DS version, you owe it to yourself to try out the Wii version if you haven't already.

daakusedo

What is special about those dkcr tas? I didn't notice anything impossible on a regular time trial.
Gave me warm feelings though, when I was doing them on wii, but that dkc2 tas linked didn't have this thrilling rhythm, outside of more animals, on the contrary I say the level design is less dense with the amount of little shortcuts for making your way faster through the levels, because indeed in country serie that's all there is for going off the rails, it's certainly not Mario.

This game is such a challenge, but I am loving every minute of it. The music...my god the music. I really hope we get a sequel to this.

Am I the only one who adored DKC1 and DKC2 but didn't like DKC Returns?

People may mock me for it, but I insist that DKC1 and DKC2 are far better than any 2D Mario game ever made. I think they are the best 2D platformers yet.

DKC3 was still a great game but the art style and music weren't up to par, and the environments weren't as memorable.

DKC Returns on the other hand...just seems so sterile. The lack of Kremlings is disappointing, and I can't remember a single musical theme from the game, whereas I remember almost all of them from DKC1 and 2.

I don't suppose we'll ever get 1995 era Rare back again though, so I suppose no point crying over spilled milk.

XaosWolf

I still struggle to understand why so many people hate the Wii version due to the motion controls. The only motion control that annoyed me in the slightest was the blowing. Everything else felt totally natural and fun, especially the shaking the Wii remote to pound the ground. The rolling was borderline for me, but certainly nothing that even came close to ruining the experience. The 3DS controls have actually resulted in more accidental rolls off the edge of a cliff than the Wii version ever did for me.

I bought the 3DS version because this game is so awesome that I love being able to carry it with me at all times, but this version is by no means the definitive version mostly due to the resolution and the 30 fps. The Wii version is gorgeous and runs as smooth as silk (albeit without the extra levels.)

Bottom line: If you're enjoying the 3DS version, you owe it to yourself to try out the Wii version if you haven't already.

Shaking to ground pound was pretty awesome. Roll should have just been B or 1.
A button press just makes it easier for me to play.

The loss of resolution and framerate is a legit bummer though, luckily the 3D doesn't suck.

Kurtofan

Holy shit, the spider level on 3DS is even more terrifying than on Wii, I could feel them crawling on my hands as they were approaching.

bumpkin

I almost broke my 3DS in half after losing 30+ lives to 4-3 to 4-B.

Playing on classic.
I remember joking that the "super guide" feature Nintendo introduced in one of the NSMB games (Wii, I think?) was some kind of a slap in the face. I certainly never thought I'd get so pissed off at a stage and have so much trouble getting through it that I'd say, "Yep, time for the super guide." Stage 5-8 was an example of a level that hit the tipping point for me. 4-3 was a cake-walk by comparison, let me tell ya!

I also conceded to the super guide on level 6-4.

I'm so ashamed.

Reknoc

Finished world 4, and I'm now officially further than I ever got on the Wii version. World 4 is a real low point, nearly all the levels are pretty awful being either a mine cart madness level or a rocket level.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man, that banana juice sure comes in handy during those 5-K and 6-K

4-K wasn't that hard tbh...still insanely difficult but at least you don't have the goddamned lava chasing you :p

just got to the boss in world 6.

Made sure I have collected every letter in every level so far. Puzzle pieces I am gonna have to come back to.

K levels also. After trying so long on 4-K I decided to go back to them once I have finished the game.

Honestly I was going nuts on a train and the guy opposite me was laughing @ my frustration. :)

MarkusRJR

Am I the only one who adored DKC1 and DKC2 but didn't like DKC Returns?

People may mock me for it, but I insist that DKC1 and DKC2 are far better than any 2D Mario game ever made. I think they are the best 2D platformers yet.

DKC3 was still a great game but the art style and music weren't up to par, and the environments weren't as memorable.

DKC Returns on the other hand...just seems so sterile. The lack of Kremlings is disappointing, and I can't remember a single musical theme from the game, whereas I remember almost all of them from DKC1 and 2.

I don't suppose we'll ever get 1995 era Rare back again though, so I suppose no point crying over spilled milk.
I feel the same about the DKC trilogy as you, and I love DKCR even more than them. Everything feels so much more alive and detailed. There are so many small touches to everything that weren't found in the original games (or even other modern platformers). Plus the level design is phenomenal. Up there with the first two DKC games and at times even better. The music is worse though, and the lack of Kremlings is a bummer. The game is still my favorite in the series though (apart from the sometimes iffy waggle).

In my opinion I'd say DKC2 = DKCR > DKC >>> DKC3.

finally picked this up. very fun and has great personality.

frame rate isn't very good though.
It's a little better if you turn off the 3D.

I am enjoying this game to the max. Right now I reached the 5th world boss. How can I defeat him? He has been a pain in the ass.

Took me awhile to figure it out. Hit all the blue diamonds on each of the 'islands'. Then the boss will change colors. Simply jump on his back. Repeat three times

Took me awhile to figure it out. Hit all the blue diamonds on each of the 'islands'. Then the boss will change colors. Simply jump on his back. Repeat three times

I have been doing this since forever. The thing is, the boss doesn't let me hit the diamonds + they are spinning.

I have been doing this since forever. The thing is, the boss doesn't let me hit the diamonds + they are spinning.

You have to out maneuver the boss and hold onto the grass and go in the direction that the island are spinning. Hit all diamonds, then jump on the back of the boss and repeat.

K' Dash

Think of it as if DKC continued to get sequels several times over for the past 15 years instead of DK64/DKJB and eventually evolved into what Returns is.

Only thing that feels definitely 'off' about it being a true DKC to me is the lack of animal buddies/Kongs, Cranky's been neutered and the music doesn't compare well with the original SNES OST's.

Man if I had the money I swear I'd pay David Wise to work with Retro and make the Soundtrack for DKC2, I mean, I really like the music in Returns, but Wise is a fucking genious, I even sometimes listen DKC and DKC2 soundtracks while I work!

Velcro Fly

Played through World 2.

Tidal Terror was really fun and the only level I got all the puzzle pieces just naturally going through the level.

Attempted 2-K a couple times but decided to save that for later and finished the boss instead. 2-K looks absolutely scary though.

Game is definitely fun and I appreciate the level design and difficulty. It's too bad that I have so many other 3DS games that I'm playing so I can't just plow through the game. I think I'll go back and look for puzzle pieces eventually though.

Mr. Fix

Finally decided to order this. Thanks to this gif:

odW5v.gif

Looking forward to it!

Thoraxes

I remember joking that the "super guide" feature Nintendo introduced in one of the NSMB games (Wii, I think?) was some kind of a slap in the face. I certainly never thought I'd get so pissed off at a stage and have so much trouble getting through it that I'd say, "Yep, time for the super guide." Stage 5-8 was an example of a level that hit the tipping point for me. 4-3 was a cake-walk by comparison, let me tell ya!

I also conceded to the super guide on level 6-4.

I'm so ashamed.

I know that feeling ;_;

Is anyone else using the control stick instead of the pad? I always use the control pad for 2d platformers, but having to use a run button seems to loose for DK. I feel kinda gross, but I just beat the 4th level boss.

Got this game not too long ago, and I am loving (almost) every second of it. It's more difficult than I had imagined, especially those rocket barrel levels.

Is anyone else using the control stick instead of the pad? I always use the control pad for 2d platformers, but having to use a run button seems to loose for DK. I feel kinda gross, but I just beat the 4th level boss.

Pad all the way for me, even though it's tiny.

Kouriozan

I'm getting this game as my free download, I already finished it on Wii, but it's so good that I want to be able to play it anywhere.

Top Bottom