• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Is the underwater theme from DKC1 in this game? I bought the Wii version a few weeks back but returned it because of the motion controls. I think I might have to get this because I have VERY fond memories of DKC.

Drago

Just picked this up and played through the first few levels. Game runs beautifully in 3D and the 30fps hasn't bothered me a bit. Only real problem so far is the controls, but that's something I'll get used to in time... hopefully. Very excited to play through this again on my road trip. :)

Neiteio

I just started the second world.

The controls take a bit getting used to. I found myself switching between analog and d-pad modes depending on the level. I really wish there was some sort of "combined" control scheme. It's easier to concentrate on platforming and climb with the d-pad scheme but there's times where the analog mode feels more accessible for chain rolling and finding secrets.
If you're new to the game, or even if you played the Wii one long ago, there's a bit of an adjustment period no matter the controls, because DK moves with great weight and solidity compared to other platformers. In time you'll learn his rhythm, and you'll master bouncing higher pressing jump again as you land on enemy heads.

hlhbk

Played a couple hours last night and as an owner of the wii game I still think the game is worth the purchase, but the frame rate is absolutely not stable. It is pretty close to Castlevania levels of stutter. Though to be fair I didn't think it was a game-breaker there either. But don't let anyone down play it if a steady frame rate is a big deal to you.

/sigh. I don't know what to do. FPS is a HUGE deal to me but I want the new levels :(

jred2k

Went and picked this up at lunch. Can't wait to get home and try it out. Hopefully the framerate doesn't impact my playthrough too much.

Gambit

What's the consensus so far? Playing with d-pad or circle pad?

I have decided to go d-pad. It just feels more natural, since I held the wiimote sideways way back when.

Anyway, game's still awesome. It's on.

Man, I'm so on the fence with this. I played the crap out of the Wii version and 100%'d it. Loved it. But I'm just not sure regular/non-motion controls, 3D visuals, and eight new levels is worth a $35 double-dip.

Any other owners of the Wii version here who double-dipped? What's your consensus? I played it at a press event this morning at the LA Zoo, but I still can't decide...

OmegaFax

I have decided to go d-pad. It just feels more natural, since I held the wiimote sideways way back when.

I prefer the d-pad controls. There's one KONG letter in one of the levels from the second world (one where you avoid the waves). I thought it was easier to roll/jump & climb quickly with the d-pad scheme.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gamesreactor Sweden gave this game a 6.0/10 for being too easy. What the fucking shit?

I thought I heard in a Nintendo Direct that they were lowering the difficulty to make it better suited for handheld gaming? The original difficulty of the console release is an option though.

Torraz

Goddamn it.

Those "too easy comments" are making me feel very bad.

The game is even trying to make me use a "guide mode" because, apparently, i am so bad.

This is seriously harder than demons souls and dark souls combined.

Sinthetic

I was bored shitless at work today, thankfully I had this to keep me busy under the desk haha.

I've died so many times, feels good to get my ass whipped by this masterpiece of platforming goodness.

NateDrake

I love this game. Circle Pad controls for me. To hell with Easy Mode. The original difficulty is the only way to play this gem.

Neiteio

I played through the whole Wii game using the sideways Wiimote (so D-Pad), but here I'm sticking to the Circle Pad. Not sure why. I tried both and this time the Circle Pad felt more natural to me.

Man, I'm so on the fence with this. I played the crap out of the Wii version and 100%'d it. Loved it. But I'm just not sure regular/non-motion controls, 3D visuals, and eight new levels is worth a $35 double-dip.

Any other owners of the Wii version here who double-dipped? What's your consensus? I played it at a press event this morning at the LA Zoo, but I still can't decide...
I double-dipped. Well-worth it. There's just something so amazing about having this visual fidelity, this level of detail, this complexity and dynamism of level design in a portable platformer... Impossible to resist, now that I've played it on 3DS.

I prefer the d-pad controls. There's one KONG letter in one of the levels from the second world (one where you avoid the waves). I thought it was easier to roll/jump & climb quickly with the d-pad scheme.
I'm having trouble getting the... "O," I believe it was, on Sunset Shores. You have to time a bounce off a jumping frog to reach it, I believe.

Just bought the game. Feel kinda guilty buying the game for some reason :[ But I hope it's good. I do wish the 3DS speakers were better...
Use headphones!

So, just to confirm, how early was this available? Are we talking midnight last night?
Here in North America, it was available as of midnight in the Eastern time zone.

I thought I heard in a Nintendo Direct that they were lowering the difficulty to make it better suited for handheld gaming? The original difficulty of the console release is an option though.
There is a "New Mode" where you get an extra heart per character, and new items are available for purchase in Cranky's shop that, for example, can save you if you fall down a pit, or allow you to take multiple hits in the mine cart and rocket barrel. I'm playing New Mode, and it's great; I already beat the Wii game, but from a portable standpoint, I like the more forgiving flexibility of New Mode.

Goddamn it.

Those "too easy comments" are making me feel very bad.

The game is even trying to make me use a "guide mode" because, apparently, i am so bad.

This is seriously harder than demons souls and dark souls combined.
DKCR is a VERY tough platformer, right from very first level. I have no idea where the "too easy" comments come from. Hell, I beat the whole game on Wii and I still find myself dying, multiple times, on the very first level, partly because I'm thorough to a fault (hitting enemies that respawn when I backtrack), and partly because I play rather recklessly, rolling around nonstop. :)

Anyone purchase from Best Buy? Did you guys get a code for Super Mario Lost Levels at the store or is it a email?

Or was it preorder only?

I preordered at Best Buy and just picked it up at the store 10 minutes ago.

I think it was a Pre-order only bonus, after I picked it up I just got the email for the Lost Levels code.

I just burned through ~20 lives on 4-3 Bombs Away. So much stuff is happening, this is amazing for a handheld. Can't get enough of these minecarts.

I preordered at Best Buy and just picked it up at the store 10 minutes ago.

I think it was a Pre-order only bonus, after I picked it up I just got the email for the Lost Levels code.

It's in the printed ad for next week so I'd imagine it is good for at least all of next week. Going to wait till Sunday to price match the $30 KMart price and get Lost Levels.

SuperSah

Banned
Was so excited when I saw this was out on the 3ds store..

Opened the page.....$59.95

:(

What?! Damn. It's £34.99 in the UK.

Seriously, game's beautiful. Got my ass whooped tons of times in 1-2. About 20 deaths. Not exactly the best player ever!

Just 100%'d the first world on original mode. Framerate is noticeable but isn't bothering me or affecting my play. Ghosting seems to be a huge issue. Felt like I was getting double vision on Platform Panic.

Circle pad controls feel great but I'll try out the Dpad later to compare. 3D is great aside from the ghosting. I'd recommend this to any fan of platformers.

Drago

Just finished the first world. Thoughts:

-This game is just as good now as it was in 2010. I don't know if it was worth the double dip though, but it is highly, HIGHLY recommended to anyone who never played the Wii version.

-The game looks and runs extremely well even at 30fps, and graphically is probably the best looking game on 3DS. It's a very stunning game in every possible way, and the lower framerate hasn't been a hindrance to me at all. Monster did a great job.

-The 3D is the best I've seen on 3DS so far. It is extremely good, something that has to be seen to be believed. Possibly the best 3D I've seen in a game period, but PS3 has some great 3D as well (SotC in particular)

-I've gotten used to the dpad controls by now, and other than some occasional L/R troubles, it's great. Much much better than stupid waggle, but the classic controller hack felt much better to control overall. I'll gladly take 3DS controls though.

That's about it for now - gonna try to beat the game in one sitting come tomorrow. Can't wait. :D

Yeah but the wording of the "So Many Games" promotion codes being sent out "shortly after" the games release worried me!

Aah okay, I'm going for AC as well with that promotion.

So what else can you do with banana coins? I can only buy 3 different amounts of lives and a key each world. Is that it?

Game is killing my hands. 3DS just isn't a terribly comfortable console IMO especially for games like this. I can play something like Ocarina for extended periods on it but gameplay intense titles cramp the hands too fast. Great game though.

Is the underwater theme from DKC1 in this game? I bought the Wii version a few weeks back but returned it because of the motion controls. I think I might have to get this because I have VERY fond memories of DKC.
Man, I really missed out on the motion control hate train back when this came out. Never was an issue with me. Instead it just felt like a natural extension.

Draconian

I've only played the first two levels, but this game is fantastic. I went back and replayed the first level because I missed one of the KONG levels and found a bunch of stuff that I missed before. This is exactly the kind of game I've been wanting to play on my 3DS ever since I bought it.

Never played the Wii game.

Picked this up earlier today at Best Buy. Told the guy about the "Lost Levels" deal and he was able to give me a code.

As for the game itself, I played the first level and it's so good! Time attack is going to be awesome. Looks like a great deal of replay value as well!

Been playing nothing but RPG's on my 3DS so it feels good to play a platformer.

Add this to your "must buy" list.

ohlawd

Played like 10 minutes.

I liked the motion controls on the Wii but this.... button controls > all. It controls like a dream. My goodness I'm about to shed a tear ;_;

Unfortunately, this game will go into the backlog D:

OmegaFax

If you're new to the game, or even if you played the Wii one long ago, there's a bit of an adjustment period no matter the controls, because DK moves with great weight and solidity compared to other platformers. In time you'll learn his rhythm, and you'll master bouncing higher pressing jump again as you land on enemy heads.

This game's a big adjustment for me. I haven't played more than a few levels of the Wii version. I remember Donkey Kong being a lot "weightier" than the typical Sonic or Mario platformer I'm used to. I never played it long enough until now to get a scope for how critical the timing is in the gameplay. I've been playing it for a few hours and even with this "new" mode difficulty, it's a challenge. I probably should swallow some pride and use a few mine cart bumpers and balloons from Cranky's shop.

My word, no matter how much I play this game the final bit of Perilous Passage will always put the fear right into me, i'm reduced to a jittery wreck in the face of that solitary electric fly.
Still it's done, that's one of the main obstacles in my journey to the glorious land of new stages dealt with.

The Cliff stages are the nuts, I appreciate them more and more with each playthrough, this is how "everything is crumbling, holy shit!" platforming is done, take note cinematic "platforming" pretenders with all your fingertip focused frolics.
Best world coming up next, can't wait.

Top Bottom