• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

Got the game and it still plays amazing, but I feel I have grown out of DK's moveset. Rayman and Mario feel snappier and quicker to control, I like it that way in platformers. Donkey always controlled somewhat 'heavier' imo, something I never really liked in the DKC games. I just wished he moved a little faster.

All in all a pretty good port, but nothing mindblowing.

I thought the 2 control options, which disable either the d-pad or circle pad, were pretty weird, but the circle ad option works well. I'm going to use that. I'm not rolling with R and the d-pad is too low on the original 3DS anyway.

If it were up to me, I would have made it so you hit the ground when you crouch and hit Y, run holding Y, roll if you hit Y while running or walking, pick things up with Y when you are near something you can pick up, and then have R blow or whatever. That's pretty much how it was on SNES and I don't get why they didn't just do it like that.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
never played this, just downloaded this and beat the first level. This game is GREAT. I like how difficult it is outright to find all the stuff. had to play first level twice to get the 'O' and the 9 pieces.

on the world map, what's the last thing to collect per level?

Had no clue that this was out. Saw it on the E-Shop. Downloading now. Looks great, but I've heard it has a difficulty curve out the ass, which was a major reason I bought it, because it's supposed to be hard. It's hard, not cheap, right guys?

All these jolly posts warm my heart, just beat Switcheroo which is surely on the top rung of this games levels, as is most of the factory for that matter.

Is Dixie unlockable in this? She was my favorite.
Unfortunately no, the only Kongs in this game are Dobkey, Diddy and Cranky chilling in his hut.

on the world map, what's the last thing to collect per level?
Time Trial medal I think.

Had no clue that this was out. Saw it on the E-Shop. Downloading now. Looks great, but I've heard it has a difficulty curve out the ass, which was a major reason I bought it, because it's supposed to be hard. It's hard, not cheap, right guys?

It's mostly fair game but I will say that there are a few stages that play the dick move card at points, certain Tippy Shippy cannon platforms leap to mind as a "got ya!" moment, fortunately checkpoints are pretty plentiful anyway.

Majine

Banned
Lol I was stuck at one balloon left when I had enough coins to buy another 100 balloons. And this is only at the third world.

It's mostly fair game but I will say that there are a few stages that play the dick move card at points, certain Tippy Shippy cannon platforms leap to mind as a "got ya!" moment, fortunately checkpoints are pretty plentiful anyway.

So occasional asshole-nish? As long as it isn't constant it sounds great. I haven't played a Donkey Kong game since Donkey Konga on the GameCube. So I'm excited, just wish this damn E-Shop download would hurry up, it's ridiculously big.

eXistor

I feel it being 30fps really hurts it actually. The game has stutter too. I popped in the original after playing and it just feels like a pretty big difference to me, it's so much smoother in every way. It's perfectly playable of course and still a great game, but if you already played the original, I see no reason to go for an inferior version.

Senator Soufflé;59209457 said:
Is there any reason to play as DK in multiplayer?

Diddy seems so much superior with jetpack and pop guns.
Yeah, while DKCR's still objectively better than the older games stuff like this still irks me. Hope they (whether it be Monster games or Retro Studios) expand upon the original game's team-mechanics and animal buddy systems since both seem sort of superficial in Returns.

I'm assuming it's even more obvious in the 3DS port where you're less likely to be playing co-op with someone.

BowieZ

Banned
Senator Soufflé;59209457 said:
Is there any reason to play as DK in multiplayer?

Diddy seems so much superior with jetpack and pop guns.

DK for the dad and Diddy for the less experienced kid.

Unless the dad is an asshole.

CrisKre

So occasional asshole-nish? As long as it isn't constant it sounds great. I haven't played a Donkey Kong game since Donkey Konga on the GameCube. So I'm excited, just wish this damn E-Shop download would hurry up, it's ridiculously big.
This is one of my top 5 games of the generation. If you never played it, do yourself a favor. Is a classic everyone should play, the attention to detail is insane and every level is unique. In short, it's a gem of a game.

Yeah, while DKCR's still objectively better than the older games stuff like this still irks me. Hope they (whether it be Monster games or Retro Studios) expand upon the original game's team-mechanics and animal buddy systems since both seem sort of superficial in Returns.

I'm assuming it's even more obvious in the 3DS port where you're less likely to be playing co-op with someone.

Even giving DK an extra heart / a more powerful jump or something to show that he's stronger would be great.

Yeah I expected more animals not less.

Game is still great of course. Better than any recent Mario game by miles.

CrisKre

Senator Soufflé;59210597 said:
Even giving DK an extra heart / a more powerful jump or something to show that he's stronger would be great.

Yeah I expected more animals not less.

Game is still great of course. Better than any recent Mario game by miles.
The way I see it is dk is more of a challenge than Diddy. I think it works for more seasoned players.

GolazoDan

Got this as my free Club Nintendo download. I should probs have waited for Animal Crossing, shouldn't I. That seems more suited for the downloadable format, always have it with you and that.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just played the first two levels. Game looks really great, full of details and style. The music is fantastic! Still getting used to the controls, but dammit if it doesn't feel better than the wii ones, the reason I couldn't play this gem

and Lego City for free, what more can i ask :p

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
also for those that never played, new mode or classic?

Linius

Got this as my free Club Nintendo download. I should probs have waited for Animal Crossing, shouldn't I. That seems more suited for the downloadable format, always have it with you and that.

I guess you cary your 3DS in a case? And every case can at least cary a few games along, so AC can still always be there.

I'm gonna get Lego City as my free download. Waiting for AC to come out as my third game, really want it retail.

K' Dash

It is incredible, this game seems like it was designed for the 3DS, holy shit at the graphics, the gameplay, the level design, and all in portable format, Amazing.

If you love Donkey Kong, you have to try this, even if you played the Wii version already, do it for yourself, for your love of videogames.

The Hermit

watching people appreciate this gem instead of complaining about the controls warms my heart.

grin.gif

massoluk

Banned
Whose idiotic idea is it at Nintendo to not allow custom button configuration? -_- And why on earth would you swap the button configuration between dpad and analog control?' '_'

I want to use the Dpad, but with analog stick button mapping.

eggwolio

Nintendo has joined the dark side(Unless I missed them doing this previously)

This blew my mind when I opened the case. I mean, I've gotten used to having just the foldout poster instructions. I was let down when they started doing it, but I was glad they didn't abandon manuals altogether. Now we get a foldout manual which tells us how to access the digital manual which you assume exists to save costs over the foldout manual which they went ahead and printed anyway to make sure you could figure out how to access the digital manual. And people say Ninty's out of touch. Pshaw.

Also, I'm enjoying the game, but wish there was a SNES control scheme. The roll button and button for picking up barrels should be the same button. They should've used the mic for the blow function. Or at least had an option for it. I'm really enjoying it, but i have a hard time for some reason holding a shoulder button to cling.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
crap I just realised that I purchased fire emblem this and luigis mansion. Now I can get a 4th game free.

uhh.... what should I get? Animal crossing and pokemon can suck it, what does that leave me with the other options look kinda........ castelvania sounds really terrible as well :(

Diablos54

I was on the shelf about this, but for £26 as well as contributing to the 'So Many Games' promotion it had to be done. Never played this on the Wii so it should be great. Now I just have to wait.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
if anyone is looking to buy this from the e-shop, I just qualified for the 'so many games' promotion and have a code. none of the games interest me so I'm selling it.

Donkey kong is 40 euro in the e-shop. I'd be looking for 35 euro for the code. any takers?

terms and conditions of the contest here

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nin...Terms-Conditions/Terms-Conditions-750395.html

if interested pm me. can take paypal or and will mail the code as soon as I receive funds.

code states that code works on any 3ds so this would be valid for all countries, however 35 euro is 45USD and I've got no idea if that's worth it for US people. probably you pay 40 bucks or something for new games.....

The framerate isn't bothering me nearly as much as I thought it would, certainly not comparable to
the 15 FPS 90% of the time in combat
Castlevania like one poster said. Only thing really bothering me is there doesn't seem to be enough AA, bit jaggy at times. Only really bothersome when you take a barrel to the background stages, DK becomes a mess of pixels. Otherwise it looks beautiful and the 3D is stunning.

KevinCow

Banned
This game is so good.

HOW IS THIS GAME STILL SO GOOD.

I kept dying in the first mine cart level because I kept getting distracted by how pretty the background was in 3D.

Neiteio

Making this game portable, replacing waggle with buttons, adding autostereoscopic 3D... It warms me to the core to see this game's potential fully realized.

TheMink

This game is god tier platforming so far. That bonus level with the falling towers was awesome.

Favorite platformer this gen since Rayman

NEO0MJ

This game is god tier platforming so far. That bonus level with the falling towers was awesome.

Favorite platformer this gen since Rayman

The bonus levels in this game are sooo good. I wouldn't mind buying this if the exclusive levels turned out to be as good.

Top Bottom