• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

SuperSah

Banned
After 50+ attempts, I did my first Time Attack on 1-1.

Gold with only 0.3 seconds to spare.

Man, it's difficult. 1-2's is even harder. ._.

Got through the Jungle and started the second area.

The controls are still not really sitting well with me. I wish you could customize it a little further, since I like the location of the smash on the circle pad pro controls, but typically prefer to use the d-pad. I'd switch to the d-pad, but I don't find the L & R buttons on the 3DS very comfortable, especially when you need to be in a position to use them repeatedly. Hoping that I'll adjust soon, since the later levels need so much precision.

Anybody reached the final world yet? How do the new levels compare to the original Retro-made ones?

Really wondering if this was partially meant to prime Monster Games up for a more unique DKC/DKLand game ala the Arkham Origins guys being trained with the Wii U port of Arkham City.

The bass in the audio in this game is beastly. I had my 3DS hooked up to my car stereo earlier and it was booming.

I was going to post something about this. It sounds like Monster cranked the bass way up. Even DK landing from a fall creates a boom. Pretty awesome.

Just beat the Forest. Soooooooooo good!

Dammit-my game has been on the UPS truck out for delivery since 6:30am and now it's 7:45. The hell??

There's a lot to be said for digital downloads.

Neiteio

THIS MOTHERFUCKING GAME. <3

I'm slow, still working my way through the beach, trying to get all the KONG letters and puzzle pieces. Like I said before, I beat the waggle-happy Wii version, but my goodness the switch to buttons is nice!

And I see absolutely no framerate problems so far. Playing the digital version on my XL (not that it makes a difference).

quabba

Does anyone know if local multilayer would work between a USA game and an Au/Eu game? I want to play this coop with my partner but we have one us console and one au console.

I played most of the first world so far and it's awesome. I tried the wii version back in the day but hated the waggle so this is great. I'm not framerate sensitive so I haven't even noticed and dips.

THIS MOTHERFUCKING GAME. <3

I'm slow, still working my way through the beach, trying to get all the KONG letters and puzzle pieces. Like I said before, I beat the waggle-happy Wii version, but my goodness the switch to buttons is nice!

And I see absolutely no framerate problems so far. Playing the digital version on my XL (not that it makes a difference).

I never got a chance to play the Wii version but this game is a blast. I have a XL, cartridge version, completed all of the first world and I swear I've not seen any frame rate stutters as well.

Time Attack is so damn fun but so hard, lol.

After many tries, I finally got 55.57 on the first stage. I could have done a little bit better if I didn't have a brain fart when I was in a barrel. Didn't press the button quick enough.

Recorded the replay:
http://youtu.be/kOpCvhJV7H8

I wanna continue the story but I'm too addicted to time attack >_<

Drago

Is there a bonus to getting Gold medals in time attack or is getting a medal period all that matters (if there's any bonus to it at all)?

Never bothered with them on Wii.

Neiteio

Hmm, anyone getting a lot more ghosting than usual when playing this game? I usually don't have this problem with any 3DS games if at all.
Up through two worlds and no ghosting so far. The only place I've seen ghosting is when viewing the unlockable diorama for the first world (DK leading an elephant by a peanut on a string, as the shrieking pillars fall behind them). The diorama is against a black backdrop, so there's some ghosting there, but otherwise, I haven't seen any ghosting. I'm playing with 3D on max on the XL.

I feel like Owain in Fire Emblem Awakening, only instead of a twitchy sword hand, I have an uncontrollable urge to play more Returns.

118px-Wood.jpg

"CAN'T. CONTROL IT."

If the new levels turn out to be excellent (and by all reports, they are!), I just know I'm going to start advocating Monster making an all-new DKCR2 from the ground up.

Neiteio

I feel like a noob. How do you get the O in the first level that is over the pit?
You can jump midair after a roll. Just roll right off the edge, and jump mid-air once you grab the "O." It's even easier if you have Diddy with you, since then you can roll indefinitely leading up to the edge, and hover once in the air.

On a side note, Squawks is a godsend for finding some of these puzzle pieces.

I really want to get this but animal crossing comes out in like two weeks...
Buying both so close together will wreck my budget.... Decisions decisions...

Neiteio

I'm experiencing pretty terrible ghosting as well. Probably my only complaint. I've turned the 3D down to 50% to lessen the effect.
What levels are you seeing ghosting on? I've only played the first two worlds so far. Like I said, I haven't seen ghosting outside of the dioramas you unlock, which have pitch-black backgrounds.

It might just be a "everyone's eyes are different" deal for ghosting. When I think of ghosting on the 3DS, the main culprit is the doors to Kokiri Forest in OoT 3D. Otherwise, haven't seen too much ghosting on the system, although I know it exists for a lot of people.

What levels are you seeing ghosting on? I've only played the first two worlds so far. Like I said, I haven't seen ghosting outside of the dioramas you unlock, which have pitch-black backgrounds.

It might just be a "everyone's eyes are different" deal for ghosting. When I think of ghosting on the 3DS, the main culprit is the doors to Kokiri Forest in OoT 3D. Otherwise, haven't seen too much ghosting on the system, although I know it exists for a lot of people.

Platform Panic was the worst offender out of the ones you've played. I'm also noticing it heavily on barrel cannons and mine cart levels.

Neiteio

Platform Panic was the worst offender out of the ones you've played. I'm also noticing it heavily on barrel cannons and mine cart levels.
Platform Panic is 1K, right? I spent... a considerable amount of time on that level, lol. I personally didn't notice any ghosting, although in theory I could see how it could happen, being one of the darker levels.

Speaking of that level, though, I think it's one of my favorites in the first two worlds, gameplay-wise.

Im not far in but the ghosting in the first mine cart level is really noticeable and the only time where it's actually bothered me on the 3DS. It probably just depends on what's going on in the level.

CrisKre

This game in portable form is gaming crack. 3d in tidal terror makes this title SHINE!
And also, its been a long time coming, but with these release I came to the realization 3ds is now my favorite portable ever.

Neiteio

This game in portable form is gaming crack. 3d in tidal terror makes this title SHINE!
And also, its been a long time coming, but with these release I came to the realization 3ds is now my favorite portable ever.
These days I just look at all the digital titles on my 3DS home menu -- NSMB2, Layton, FEA, LM2, SF643D, Pushmo, Crashmo, HarmoKnight, Sakura Samurai, and now this -- and I just laugh.

TOO MUCH GOOD STUFF.

Platform Panic is 1K, right? I spent... a considerable amount of time on that level, lol. I personally didn't notice any ghosting, although in theory I could see how it could happen, being one of the darker levels.

Speaking of that level, though, I think it's one of my favorites in the first two worlds, gameplay-wise.

Very odd. I'm looking at it right now and can see ghosting right off the bat, inside the tunnel behind where DK starts. I'm shifting the the XL all around and can verify that I'm definitely in the viewing angle.

I don't think I'm especially sensitive to ghosting since I played about 90% of Super Mario 3D Land last week with max 3D and didn't notice any in particular outside of the obvious ghost houses. Getting it like crazy everywhere in DKCR, pretty much everywhere except the brightest stages.

Maybe I've been playing too long. Perhaps I should take a break? ;)

Neiteio

Very odd. I'm looking at it right now and can see ghosting right off the bat, inside the tunnel behind where DK starts. I'm shifting the the XL all around and can verify that I'm definitely in the viewing angle.

I don't think I'm especially sensitive to ghosting since I played about 90% of Super Mario 3D Land last week with max 3D and didn't notice any in particular outside of the obvious ghost houses. Getting it like crazy everywhere in DKCR, pretty much everywhere except the brightest stages.

Maybe I've been playing too long. Perhaps I should take a break? ;)
I just booted up my game and went back to World 1 to check. I had to look for it, but I can see a slight "echo" of the door in the background at the start, inside the doorway itself. I can also see ghosts of the torches leading into the background once the collapsing pillars start. But I had to actively look in the background and search for it, so not too problematic, imo.

Now BRB after I replay the level for fun, lol.

EDIT: Ah fuck, now I'm noticing ghosts mid-jump and it's distracting me to my death. :mad:

Yeah on the Wii

But I sold my Wii and games
The Wii games I miss the most are this and Other:M

I'd go with Animal Crossing and get this one down the road.

I would have said that even if you didn't play it as well and I loved the game.

Animal Crossing is just too huge a game to pick something over it for me:p

K' Dash

I'm here playing Fire Emblem, fucking game is awesome BTW, and I had an impulse to buy this from e-shop, it is downloading now, fuck, the 3DS is getting all my time lately, on the bus, at lunch and even when I'm out with my girlfriend, we just start playing mario kart anywhere.

This is perfection folks, perfection.

Oh man. This game is AMAZING. My first DKC game. I love it.

However I see this being the type of game I burn out on-I always have to 100% a level before moving on...

I'm here playing Fire Emblem, fucking game is awesome BTW, and I had an impulse to buy this from e-shop, it is downloading now, fuck, the 3DS is getting all my time lately, on the bus, at lunch and even when I'm out with my girlfriend, we just start playing mario kart anywhere.

This is perfection folks, perfection.

The 3DS is like the comeback story of the century. Started out so awful and now it's one of the best platforms around with a crazy bright future.

Oh man. This game is AMAZING. My first DKC game. I love it.

However I see this being the type of game I burn out on-I always have to 100% a level before moving on...

Yeah, that's how I go about playing these games and that could become an issue if it weren't for the fact that the levels are so fun to replay in this game.

I'd go with Animal Crossing and get this one down the road.

I would have said that even if you didn't play it as well and I loved the game.

Animal Crossing is just too huge a game to pick something over it for me:p

Yeah, Animal Crossing is a really big title for me also. I'm behind on a a lot of 3DS games That have come out this year. I don't know if I will ever catch up.
Just don't have the time I used to have (money is tighter as well)

Semajer

After 50+ attempts, I did my first Time Attack on 1-1.

Gold with only 0.3 seconds to spare.

Man, it's difficult. 1-2's is even harder. ._.
Time Attack is so damn fun but so hard, lol.

After many tries, I finally got 55.57 on the first stage. I could have done a little bit better if I didn't have a brain fart when I was in a barrel. Didn't press the button quick enough.

Recorded the replay:
http://youtu.be/kOpCvhJV7H8

I wanna continue the story but I'm too addicted to time attack >_<

I feel I should point out that gold isn't the best time you can get. There is a hidden shiny gold rank. The time for the first level is 53 seconds. Have fun with that.

Yuterald

Any DKCR vets here care to comment on the Time Trials? I can't seem to find any information on whether or not if the Shiny Gold Medal time requirements are as difficult as they used to be. I got them all back on the Wii version and it was a pretty tough challenge. I imagine having the game controls mapped to traditional buttons would make it easier to blast through the levels. Just wondering if they altered the time to compensate for the "easier" difficulty or they left them the same so people could achieve them easily. I know the game just came out, but someone's gotta be on top of this, somewhere! =D

Quoting myself since no one seemed to answer this yet. I actually found a guy at GameFaqs who also obtained all of the Shiny Gold Medals back on the Wii version. Apparently, because of the new controls and lower FPS, it's more difficult to obtain the Shiny Gold Medals in the 3DS version. Although, it seems like it's more difficult in a bad way. I'm not sure what to think of this version now. The Time Trials, when taken to Shiny, were some of the most satisfying "runs" I've ever done in a platformer. It's a shame if they're essentially broken due to the new control scheme and lower frames per second. I'd like to hear from some more Wii vets if this is the case.

The wii controls made time attacking really precise since you could perfectly time jumps and do things near frame perfect for the entire game (using the nunchuck to roll and having free range to time your jumps with the wii remote), but since you have to use a button to roll and another to jump, the precision is taken way down for me. In particular jumping 1 frame after a roll starts was easy as could be on the wii version, but near impossible with this new control scheme. I can't see myself even coming close to doing what I did on the Wii version with this control scheme. Also the 30 FPS makes it tougher as well. I'd still recommend the time attack, but ultimately even the shiny gold medals can be shattered on most stages by dozen(s) of seconds (granted a handful stages are fairly tight no matter how fast you are).

Not trying to burst anyone's bubble here, but I figured I'd share this information for the veteran players who may or may not be aware of such issues.

Guys this freaking game is AMAZING. Two player mode is fun as shit. I am in love.

You can tell its a ported full console game because the attention to detail is nuts.

Another damn fine addition to my 3DS library.

Neiteio

WHOA, Tidal Terror in 3D! It's not just the waves splashing out of the screen, it's the layers to the rain effect that look so mesmerizingly beautiful!

Hasney

Picked this up yesterday and I was amazed that it was a little difficult to start with. A good amazed as it's a great game.

Top Bottom