• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D |OT| It's on like Dragon Kong!

I just want to change the slider to the D-pad without being forced to change the buttons... bummer!I guess I'll eventually adapt to this better than to the waggling of the original.

rcl66

I assumed this was out Sunday, wtf. Downloading now, this may be one of the biggest eshop downloads on 3ds at 17k blocks.

I'm at the
factory
now, this is amazing stuff. Normally I don't like levels themed this way but this all so well designed. What a masterpiece.

It's all still very difficult on classic but everything is doable so far. I highly recommend playing on classic.

Love and hate for this game on 3DS.

At one end, I love it. One of the best sidescrolling platformers ever. On the other hand it slightly felt like a waste of money because I played it all before on the Wii so much. I didn't have that same excitement like playing the Wii vers for the first time.

It was an impulse buy. I still love the game though, if that makes sense.

classic all the way. The challenge is what makes the game even better. Only with the challenge can you appreciate the brilliance of the level design.

I've never player the game before and I chose "New Mode" and I feel it's very easy. I may start over in classic.

The Hermit

This game is god tier platforming so far. That bonus level with the falling towers was awesome.

Favorite platformer this gen since Rayman

This is the best platform game ever to me. I am still amazed that Retro aced in 2 completely different genres.

Hoping their next game is from another genre, like Startropics adventure.

THIS GAME! I'm up to the Ruins Boss, gonna start it here in a minute. I want to plow through this because it's amazing, but I don't want it to end any time soon either. :(

Does New Mode just add the extra hearts and items or does it change enemy placement and stuff as well? Playing on Original Mode and it's tough, but nothing too crazy. I have plenty of lives, so it's no big deal.

I just picked up my copy, and I love it. The lower framerate is very disappointing, but the improved controls and gorgeous 3D visuals more than make up for it. I'm not sure if I'd recommend the game to those of you who have already played the Wii version, but being the huge fan of platformers that I am, this was a must buy.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Picked this up today. Going to start playing soon. Time to see if the hype is real.

solarus

Game is fantastic so far, i'm really not missing the wii version. The visuals shrunk to this screen look fine and i have honestly not noticed the framerate. Plays great.

eggwolio

I didn't really know what Ghosting was until I got to the silhouette beach level in world 1. It's really distracting. I had to turn the 3D almost all the way down. Still having a blast, but i wonder why they didn't fix that.

Man, this game is great. I am loving the time trial. I REALLY wish there was an online leader board and a feature that let you upload and watch time trial replays....But I guess that's asking for too much on the 3DS. :[

I didn't really know what Ghosting was until I got to the silhouette beach level in world 1. It's really distracting. I had to turn the 3D almost all the way down. Still having a blast, but i wonder why they didn't fix that.

What does ghosting have to do with 3D? Are you referring to crosstalk?

Classic is surprisingly difficult so far, I haven't played a new platformer in a while so I'm pretty rusty. Game isn't stingy with 1ups, thankfully. Having a blast so far, first mine cart level was bananas!

Possibly. I'm apparently a little stupid when it comes to the technical stuff. It was almost like crossing my eyes and seeing more than one of things.

No, we usually call that ghosting here. I posted something similar to what you said a couple pages ago I think. It's really noticeable in certain levels :[ Only game I've really had trouble with it.

Drago

Cave world is so hard aaagg

I love this game so much. I really want DKCR2 now - if that was Retro's WiiU game then that would be absolutely OK by me!

Possibly. I'm apparently a little stupid when it comes to the technical stuff. It was almost like crossing my eyes and seeing more than one of things.

I'm not sure as well, but I have a similar problem (or maybe it's the same) where I don't have a proper separation of both images. It's noticeable on the sunset stage, where the black objects are grey on their edges because they blend with the background of the other image. And very bright colors like the lights on 5-B I see them double for the same reason. But I believe this is crosstalk and not ghosting.

Socreges

Banned
Makes me happy that the 3DS version has opened the game up to tons more people. DKCR is an incredible platformer and deserves all the love it can get.

Not interested in the 3DS version, though. The new levels look kind of average (at least in the videos). I would've had to get it if the new levels were the same difficulty and complexity as the 'K' levels.

Macka

I'm tempted to re-buy this game for 3DS as I hated the motion controls on the Wii, but the low framerate, stuttering and ghosting problems have me concerned...I guess I'll test it out at EBGames if possible and see for myself.

branny

Makes me happy that the 3DS version has opened the game up to tons more people. DKCR is an incredible platformer and deserves all the love it can get.
Yeah, I tried a few levels on the Wii version but hated the waggling and ended up passing on the game because of that. As a huge fan of DKC2, I'm really happy that I can give DKCR another shot now. Still not too fond of all the blowing/pounding (seemed like they wrecked the pacing a bit from the little I played), but I mainly just wanted rolling mapped to a button and am glad we finally got that.

It sucks that some good Wii platformers were hindered by Wiimote gimmicks, IMO--I also had a hard time getting into the Galaxy games because of the shaking and pointing crap, especially as a lefty. NSMBU makes NSMBW's lack of a button-only control scheme look silly in hindsight, too (the gyro plank tilting could've been mapped to L/R or something). Same goes with Return to Dream Land, though its waggle didn't bother me as much as the simple level design or tedious super copy abilities.

Then again, the Wiimote's d-pad really didn't do a lot of these platformers any favors, either...

Yes. Hit and roll is moved to L/R while X/Y is used for run and grab.

It feels more natural when I use this control layout.
Definitely gonna be using that setup when my copy comes Tuesday.

Katzii

if anyone is looking to buy this from the e-shop, I just qualified for the 'so many games' promotion and have a code. none of the games interest me so I'm selling it.

Donkey kong is 40 euro in the e-shop. I'd be looking for 35 euro for the code. any takers?

terms and conditions of the contest here

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nin...Terms-Conditions/Terms-Conditions-750395.html

if interested pm me. can take paypal or and will mail the code as soon as I receive funds.

code states that code works on any 3ds so this would be valid for all countries, however 35 euro is 45USD and I've got no idea if that's worth it for US people. probably you pay 40 bucks or something for new games.....

Wouldn't work in the US; codes are locked by region.

Also a bit too high a price for me, I'm afraid, since I can get a new game for less than that, but hope you find a buyer soon :)

This game is still fun. I kind of take back my comments. I guess I'm getting used to it on the 3DS and the d-pad controls.

Hands down, my favorite 2D platformer ever!

Neiteio

Cave world is so hard aaagg

I love this game so much. I really want DKCR2 now - if that was Retro's WiiU game then that would be absolutely OK by me!
I just cleared the Cave world 100% a few minutes ago. Many times I had to jump down a hole to restart the level after missing a letter or puzzle piece, but in the end, I got everything. The diorama for the Cave world is really cool!

And I agree, a DKCR2 would be excellent. If the Monster-made levels are up to snuff, I'd even be fine with them making it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wonder if DKCR2 would be pirate themed again.

DonMigs85

I had the Wii version but gave it to my friend earlier this year.
Not sure if I should get this again or NSMB2 instead.
Also is there a benefit to beating the game in classic?

Drago

NSMB2 is a mediocre platformer, DKCR is one of the best platformers I've ever played. Did you beat DK on the Wii?

If not, then this is the obvious choice. If you did beat it, I'd still recommend it over NSMB2. DK has, in my opinion, the best 3D on 3DS yet - it's worth it just for that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567357
Could some of the lovely people here offer advice?

The 3D usage really is exceptional, probably my favorite use yet on the system. Tidal Terror in particular stands out, with the water flinging things about, the bananas in particular. Certainly the best use of the "right at your face" tactic on the system. Works best with the beautiful backgrounds though.

Down goes Tiki Tong, I should be able to taste the sweet platforming of new stages tomorrow once i've unlocked a few more temple stages, i'm so ready for this, deliberately leaving 1-K platform panic aside for last because it's the nuts.

My 3DS screen is scratched to hell and back again, it was fine until some point earlier this year when it took the first of those trips to hell, it's a sad state of affairs and i'm not really sure how you prevent it, I think simply being careful shutting the shell shape itself is a big benefit, also consider screen protectors or having something small like a tiny rubber bumper (excellent description I know) prevent the scratching when closing.
Though all this screen scratching is also a valid excuse for me to aim for an XL in the near future, man why couldn't DK have gotten a limited edition console?

Just finished the first Monster-designed level. Really enjoyed their approach to hiding secrets and the overall level design. Honestly think it could have passed for a Retro level. Hoping the rest follow suit.

edit - Playing the second Monster level. There's a checkpoint immediately before a sequence where you have to transport a barrel through hazards to get a secret. Yep, these guys know what they're doing.

eggwolio

I'm a Nintendo fanboy and Mario lover through and through, but do yourself a favor and get DKCR if this is your choice. NSMB2 is okay. The new power ups are fun. But it's so short lived. It's fun the first time through, but the end comes too soon and without a real feeling of satisfaction.

And truly, ghosting aside, the 3D on this game is unmatched on the console so far.

Neiteio

Just finished the first Monster-designed level. Really enjoyed their approach to hiding secrets and the overall level design. Honestly think it could have passed for a Retro level. Hoping the rest follow suit.

edit - Playing the second Monster level. There's a checkpoint immediately before a sequence where you have to transport a barrel through hazards to get a secret. Yep, these guys know what they're doing.
Hey X, I'm only on World 5, so I'm hoping you'll weigh in with some detailed thoughts whether you think Monster could handle a full-blown DKCR2, once you've completed the eight levels they made.

Would be nice if it was a Sanzaru games situation, Sly 4 turned out pretty well I thought. As much as I love DKCR and want a sequel I'd rather have Rare doing another Metroid game or a new IP.

Hey X, I'm only on World 5, so I'm hoping you'll weigh in with some detailed thoughts whether you think Monster could handle a full-blown DKCR2, once you've completed the eight levels they made.

Gladly. Made some notes while playing that I'll expound upon.

-Frequent checkpointing - I can't say if this is factual, but checkpoints seemed a bit more frequent than in Retro's levels.

-Clever secrets - Often I found myself doing something impressive to reach an interactable object, only for that object to hold a lesser item. I would think "well, that would be a clever place to hide something", and later find an actual puzzle piece that was hidden in an even more clever location.

-Good level length - Not too long, not too short. They felt right.

-Level gimmicks either new or felt new - Some levels had entirely new gimmicks. Some had gimmicks based on other levels but used in new and fun ways. Some levels used multiple ideas from existing levels in combination with each other.

-Monster not afraid to have epic moments and scale - No lack of huge barrel blasts, vistas, or background/foreground interaction.

-Not the most challenging levels in the game but very satisfying nonetheless and never frustrating - Difficulty felt pretty much perfect. Level 8 (the volcano based level) felt like it belonged in that world but most of the others felt about world 5-7 in terms of difficulty. I don't think Monster was trying to make levels that rivaled the Golden Temple, but they felt good and always fair in challenge.

-No framerate issues - Self-explanatory.

-Checkpoints before barrel gauntlets (twice!) - A small touch that I really appreciate.

-Super clever puzzle piece in level 7 - It entertained me.

I was very impressed with the new levels. If Monster could create 70-ish levels with a great difficulty curve and a similar level of quality throughout, I'd buy a new game made by them in an instant. I think it worthy follow up to what I consider to be the best 2D platformer ever.

Neiteio

Gladly. Made some notes while playing that I'll expound upon.

-Frequent checkpointing - I can't say if this is factual, but checkpoints seemed a bit more frequent than in Retro's levels.

-Clever secrets - Often I found myself doing something impressive to reach an interactable object, only for that object to hold a lesser item. I would think "well, that would be a clever place to hide something", and later find an actual puzzle piece that was hidden in an even more clever location.

-Good level length - Not too long, not too short. They felt right.

-Level gimmicks either new or felt new - Some levels had entirely new gimmicks. Some had gimmicks based on other levels but used in new and fun ways. Some levels used multiple ideas from existing levels in combination with each other.

-Monster not afraid to have epic moments and scale - No lack of huge barrel blasts, vistas, or background/foreground interaction.

-Not the most challenging levels in the game but very satisfying nonetheless and never frustrating - Difficulty felt pretty much perfect. Level 8 (the volcano based level) felt like it belonged in that world but most of the others felt about world 5-7 in terms of difficulty. I don't think Monster was trying to make levels that rivaled the Golden Temple, but they felt good and always fair in challenge.

-No framerate issues - Self-explanatory.

-Checkpoints before barrel gauntlets (twice!) - A small touch that I really appreciate.

-Super clever puzzle piece in level 7 - It entertained me.

I was very impressed with the new levels. If Monster could create 70-ish levels with a great difficulty curve and a similar level of quality throughout, I'd buy a new game made by them in an instant.
Wow, this sounds amazing! So contrary to some early reports, there are in fact hidden collectibles in the new levels? And it sounds like there is movement between foreground and background in some levels?

Man, now I'm all conflicted. I love Monster Games -- both Excite titles were superb, and Pilotwings Resort justified the 3DS for me at launch. Given their history with vehicle-based titles, I've been pinning my hopes of a new Wave Race or F-Zero on them (however unlikely). But now I see them as hope for continuing the DKCR series, should Retro focus on other projects...

Thanks again for the detailed impressions. :)

Wow, this sounds amazing! So contrary to some early reports, there are in fact hidden collectibles in the new levels? And it sounds like there is movement between foreground and background in some levels?

Man, now I'm all conflicted. I love Monster Games -- both Excite titles were superb, and Pilotwings Resort justified the 3DS for me at launch. Given their history with vehicle-based titles, I've been pinning my hopes of a new Wave Race or F-Zero on them (however unlikely). But now I see them as hope for continuing the DKCR series, should Retro focus on other projects...

Thanks again for the detailed impressions. :)

No kong letters but there's puzzle pieces in each level ( and sometimes more than the minimum of 5!). Come to think of it, they could probably have used kong letters and had the original Golden Temple as an unlock for getting kong on every level.

There's not a ton of foreground/background stuff but its there. Maybe since the levels were made for 3DS and it can be hard to see DK in the background on an OG system. More of an emphasis on long barrel blasts I'd say, but you'll get a bit of it. The levels definitely felt like a DKCR experience.

Top Bottom