• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

1GabUp

Great thread OP! Already preordered the game on gamestop.ca for the free banana pouch!

If I understand, the omission of Enguarde in DKCR means that there isn't any undersea level?

1GabUp said:
Great thread OP! Already preordered the game on gamestop.ca for the free banana pouch!

If I understand, the omission of Enguarde in DKCR means that there isn't any undersea level?

Yeah.....no under water levels. Retro Studios experimented and felt it was better to get rid of them.

Not a big deal for me considering the beautiful Aquatic Ambience is confirmed to be in the game!

Oh wait. I just read the OP and realized that you cannot play as Diddy in first player... =(

Ah well, I will still get this. The Wii is insane! It went from my most ignored system to my most played. :lol

I finally was able to play my copy. It has a feel of the original which I like. The music is still
there, for some reason I thought that they were going to remove the original music. I am
disappointed that I cannot use Diddy in single player. I really wish they would let you change
the controller scheme. I hate having to shake the wiimote to roll, and every time I have
Diddy on my back I end up messing up my jumps cause im used to always holding down the
2 button. I guess I just need to adjust a little bit. Other than that I'm loving what I'm seeing.

Effect

I wonder what the chances of classic controller support being hidden within the game are. There but simply not acknowledge by Nintendo.

1GabUp

Tricky I Shadow said:
Yeah.....no under water levels. Retro Studios experimented and felt it was better to get rid of them.

Not a big deal for me considering the beautiful Aquatic Ambience is confirmed to be in the game!

Yeah, probably the most beautiful song of DKC! A little bit sad for the underwater levels. But this shouldn't hurt the overall quality of the game.

Empty

the gameplay videos i've seen make it look like this game takes the visual flair and invention in level design standard of the mario galaxy games and puts it in the dk universe in 2d. can't wait.

Mike M

Nick N
First of all, no, you can not play as Diddy during single player, he will automatically jump on Donkey Kong's back when you find him. Only the second player when playing with someone else can be Diddy! And no you can not use the classic controller!

?!

No sale.

DryvBy

ryan-ts said:
Conveniently linked to someone's Let's Play :lol .....which is only that one video :lol

It's my Let's Play. I started a Let's Play for the game when I preordered my DKCR, but yeah, then I remembered a keyboard on N64 games suck so I gotta find my wired 360 controller to finish. :*(

MaddenNFL64

Altazor said:
as someone already said... my body is ready.

my-body-is-ready.png

ryan-ts

DryvBy2 said:
It's my Let's Play. I started a Let's Play for the game when I preordered my DKCR, but yeah, then I remembered a keyboard on N64 games suck so I gotta find my wired 360 controller to finish. :*(

Well if you ever get past the first video, send me a link and I'll watch it.

Ridley327

Haunted said:
That's what Dave Halverson said about Sonic 2006!
Your first clue that the Sonic 2006 review didn't matter in the end was that it was written by Dave Halverson. The guy could have reviewed something great like Super Mario Galaxy and I still wouldn't count his review for shit.

Can't wait to pick this game up; there's a small chance that I'll get it early, but that's going to depend on my brother.

Hobbun

Oh wow, no classic controller support? That is a bit disappointing.

Well, at least you can use the Wii remote on it's side. Although the classic controller would have been more preferable.

However, is certainly not going to be a gamebreaker for me. Still day 1.

Any co-op impressions? We had a great time last year with NSMBWii and I was hoping this would create a similar experience. I was going to pick up Kirby, but after reading a lot of the criticisms surrounding the game's difficulty level (or lack thereof), I've decided to wait for this instead.

Pyrokai

Speschal K said:
Any co-op impressions? We had a great time last year with NSMBWii and I was hoping this would create a similar experience. I was going to pick up Kirby, but after reading a lot of the criticisms surrounding the game's difficulty level (or lack thereof), I've decided to wait for this instead.

Don't let that stop you from getting Kirby! It's such a lovely, inventive game. I enjoyed the whole trip, and there's a lot of replay value to be found which, I think, makes up for its easy difficulty. The graphics, music, and style are all so very charming :)

Hiltz

My guess is that if there is one aspect of DKC Returns that may not live up to expectations, it may be the music due to the amount of classic tracks and the ones that have been remixed. Fans are either going to love it or hate it when compared to the original versions. I think Retro seems to have nailed everything else about the game though.

Yes, I also second picking up Kirby's Epic Yarn. It's an easy but satisfying platformer.
In my opinion, the only things that suck about the game are the train transformation's wonky controls. Fortunately, these sections rarely appear. Then there's the childish story with the male narrator's creepy ass voice. Fortunately, you can skip through the cut scenes.

The game's graphics are beautiful, the controls are tight and responsive, the music is pleasantly soothing and cheerful, good level design, awesome hub world presentation, fun transformations and good replay value despite the fairly short length.

neos

I know wii has great games, and i've played most of them, but this is the first that makes me regret never buying a wii,

Art style is top notch.

gogojira

Such an amazing art style. The dudes at Retro are fucking talented.

Taking everything into consideration (even my issues with the Prime trilogy and how Metroidy they may or may not be), I'd love to give Retro a shot at side-scrolling Metroid. DKC Returns looks so goddamn good.

I cannot fucking WAIT for this game to take over me and my friends the way NSMB did last holiday season. Multiplayer Mario became the party game of choice for months, and then the quest for completion extended that run into the Spring.

DKC Returns looks like it can do the same thing, even though it's only for 2 players (and will never be for 4 because fuck those crappy friends of Donkey Kong :lol).

Day 1!

captmcblack said:
I cannot fucking WAIT for this game to take over me and my friends the way NSMB did last holiday season. Multiplayer Mario became the party game of choice for months, and then the quest for completion extended that run into the Spring.

DKC Returns looks like it can do the same thing, even though it's only for 2 players (and will never be for 4 because fuck those crappy friends of Donkey Kong :lol).

Day 1!
What about Dixie, Lanky and Funky? Apart for Diddy, those are the only ones that I like (Not counting Cranky because he will never be playable again).

Ydahs

Sgt.Pepper said:
What about Dixie, Lanky and Funky? Apart for Diddy, those are the only ones that I like (Not counting Cranky because he will never be playable again).
Wait, Cranky was once playable!?

Ydahs said:
Wait, Cranky was once playable!?
Bad wording of my part. I meant he won't do anything again worth mentioning, like kidnapping Pauline.

Edit: Actually I think he was playable on that DK racing game.

Contrary to popular belief, this is not Cranky's first North American playable appearance (which was stated on his trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl), as he was playable in the Cranky's Dojo minigame in the GBA version of Donkey Kong Country 3. He was also playable in the Japan-only Donkey Konga 3.
Yep.

Top Bottom