• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Seda

2awfQ.jpg

Joei

This game looks really fun. I'm kind of torn between this and Epic Mickey. I don't really have time to play either game at the moment (doing my backlog with Alan Wake and Metroid when I do have time) but I have a 20$ credit through Amazon that I have to use before the end of the month.

Seda

Why would you do that? said:
All these years, I thought it was "take it to the bridge" because of Melee.

So sometimes, when going over a bridge, I go "Take it to the bridge!" but now I know I'm wrong. :(

I always though it was purposefully a silly pun. Now I'm no music major, but in any song, a bridge is a sort of contrasting musical section I believe? But instead of "bridge", the lyrics say "fridge".

:O Nice OP!!!
I didn't saw some of those videos, the "World X - Y" ones... I had to convince myself to close them down as I was watching to much of the game...
Can't wait... day 1 purchase = enjoy it a lifetime

I really hope this one has the same effect on me that DKC2 had...

shahkur

VERY NICE JOB!!! with the OT Tricky I Shadow. A job well done. Now, just gotta wait for the other reviews and of course the RELEASE DATE for pretty much the GOTY. :D

WillyFive

Yeah, just saw that trailer on Youtube. Very spoilerful. Didn't think Nintendo would show that far, especially with their habit of only showing the very early parts of the game in a trailer (like with SMG2).

Kingpen

so there are 8 worlds in this...

any idea how many stages per world? Would this be comparable to something such as New Super Mario Bros Wii in the amount of different stages?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I never really cared about DKC, so I was kinda meh on this game. The the gameplay videos started pouring in. Good god the gameplay videos.

mjc

DKC2 is one of my favorite SNES games. Hopefully this one brings some good challenge with it, I liked the tough levels.

pirata

I am torn between my impulse to never buy games at full price and my intense love of Donkey Kong Country and Retro Studios. You're tearing me apart, Retro!

pirata said:
I am torn between my impulse to never buy games at full price and my intense love of Donkey Kong Country and Retro Studios. You're tearing me apart, Retro!
Nintendo holiday games never officially drop in price, they just go on sale at individual retailers sometimes.

So you should go ahead and buy it!

Hobbun

pirata said:

As this will be a Nintendo published game, I don’t see the price going down for a long time, if ever.

Kard8p3

Kingpen said:
so there are 8 worlds in this...

any idea how many stages per world? Would this be comparable to something such as New Super Mario Bros Wii in the amount of different stages?

Actually there are
9 worlds. It works like NSMBW where when you beat the game a ninth world is unlocked and you open up levels by getting the collectibles in the levels.
There's anywhere from 6 to 9 stages per world from what I've seen.

Ashkeloth

Oh damn. This actually looks really, really good.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to bust open my wallet again this year after skipping generic sequels such as CoD: BO, Halo: Reach, and Assassins Creed Brotherhood, but this is going to make it really hard. Especially since i recently blew £25 on Sonic Colours and this looks to be a far superior game.

Kard8p3

Tathanen said:
Oh god damn it I thought we were finally rid of that faux-choral Casio synth that plagued the Primes all these years. Kenji Yamamoto needs to lose his sequencer in the river and drown going after it.

Real chorus or nothing, thanks.

I actually really like the sound of it. Loved it in the prime games and the same for this tune.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Very nice thread, Shadow. Glad to see you used Chet Rippo's art work.

Can't wait for this one. I haven't played a DK game since the N64 but everything about this game looks excellent. Year of the mothafuckin Wii confirmed.

let's do this

Kard8p3

Snuggler said:
Very nice thread, Shadow. Glad to see you used Chet Rippo's art work.

Can't wait for this one. I haven't played a DK game since the N64 but everything about this game looks excellent. Year of the mothafuckin Wii confirmed.

let's do this

You need to play Jungle Beat.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Kard8p3 said:
I actually really like the sound of it. Loved it in the prime games and the same for this tune.

If friggin HALO could manage it in 2001, and Galaxy now on the Nintendo side, there's no longer an excuse. We aren't trying to cram samples onto DS carts here!

Tathanen said:
If friggin HALO could manage it in 2001, and Galaxy now on the Nintendo side, there's no longer an excuse. We aren't trying to cram samples onto DS carts here!
Isn't there something appealing to old-style music techniques in a game that's build with old-school in mind?

Can't believe early previews/reviews are saying this is one of the best platformers they've ever played.

I guess I have to pick it up!

Does anyone know how many levels or worlds this has?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
balladofwindfishes said:
Isn't there something appealing to old-style music techniques in a game that's build with old-school in mind?

Sure! I'd never argue orchestrated over midi objectively, but I WILL argue real voices over synthesized ones that are clearly trying to ACHIEVE the sound of a real voice, but failing miserably.

oracrest

The newsstand edition of Nintendo Power with the DK cover comes with a classic NES sticker to put on your sideways Wii remote. :D :D

Kard8p3

Seems like this will be the last IGN review from Craig Harris as Friday is his last day at IGN.
http://www.ign.com/blogs/craig-ign/2010/11/15/saying-goodbye/

Tathanen said:
Sure! I'd never argue orchestrated over midi objectively, but I WILL argue real voices over synthesized ones that are clearly trying to ACHIEVE the sound of a real voice, but failing miserably.

I agree real voices are better but there's something about the synthesized ones that I've loved since Prime. I just like the sound of it.

Top Bottom