• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Khrno

First of all, no, you can not play as Diddy during single player, he will automatically jump on Donkey Kong's back when you find him. Only the second player when playing with someone else can be Diddy! And no you can not use the classic controller!

Wow... I don't know what to do now, Diddy has been my favourite DK character and one of my top 3 Nintendo characters since 1994.

I don't have anyone to play with so I don't know if I really want to get the game now. Can't he even be "unlocked" at the end or something? I might just wait for DKCR2 then, or maybe get a new girlfriend (although I'm still not over my breakup), or just get one of those pay-to-play girls that I saw a few months ago here on GAF, oh I think those were just for online play.

Khrno said:
Wow... I don't know what to do now, Diddy has been my favourite DK character and one of my top 3 Nintendo characters since 1994.

I don't have anyone to play with so I don't know if I really want to get the game now. Can't he even be "unlocked" at the end or something? I might just wait for DKCR2 then, or maybe get a new girlfriend (although I'm still not over my breakup), or just get one of those pay-to-play girls that I saw a few months ago here on GAF, oh I think those were just for online play.
He rides on DK's back and you can use his jetpack if I understand correctly, so think of it as playing as the both of them at the same time.

Khrno said:

You sure own some Diddy Kong fanfic to help you overcome this misery. :0

Why For?

Banned
pirata said:
I am torn between my impulse to never buy games at full price and my intense love of Donkey Kong Country and Retro Studios. You're tearing me apart, Retro!

Nintendo first party games don't drop in price.

If anything they usually RELEASE at a cheaper than RRP price (at least in australia they do anyway)

So I'm getting this day one. Zelda TP is still $99.95 here :lol

Let me in

Khrno said:

Really? So you skipped DKC3 because of that?

Why For?

Banned
For those wanting to play as Diddy, couldn't you just start a co-op game, kill Donkey and play through as Diddy?

I know it's not a rock solid solution, but it's something.

This thread is giving me a boner. My friend is going to be picking up DKCR and I'll pick up Sonic Colors. The return of the platfomer has totally got me stoked. Between all of this and the announcement of Sly 4, it's going to be a happy holiday man :D

upandaway

I'll have to rush through it a little because of time, but I'm getting it at launch anyway. Worst case I'll just finish it next year.

Can't fucking wait.

Khrno

slaughterking said:
You sure own some Diddy Kong fanfic to help you overcome this misery. :0

Haven't thought about it, but now that you said so, you should provide me with some DiddyXDixieXCandy material.

stilgar

Khrno said:

I don't have anyone to play with so I don't know if I really want to get the game now.

Tell me my sarcasm detector is making fun of me.

x Maiku x

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not, but if you buy this at K-Mart during launch week you will get two $10 gaming coupons. :D

Kard8p3 said:
Nintendo put out an official trailer for worlds 7 and 8.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sexlrXo1z9c
I opened it, listened to the music without watching the video, and left very satisfied. It isn't David Wise, but it's different and still good.

Kard8p3 said:
I agree real voices are better but there's something about the synthesized ones that I've loved since Prime. I just like the sound of it.
I also agree. Usually, music sounds better/worse with different instruments. Different sounds. And I happen to like the sound of a real choir as well as that of a synth one. I like synth generated music in general.

First game I'm going to buy for Wii since Galaxy 2.

Someone PM me if there's a Buy 2, Get 1 Free deal anywhere soon, I've been eyeing Kirby.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Was never a huuuge fan of the original 3 DKC's (see Jarosh's infamous thread for some insight :p), nor am I a fan of Retro's work on Metroid, but have been looking forward to this. Played a bit of it at NY Comic Con, gameplay seems much tighter than the original DKC games, and I'm desperate for some more 2D side scrollers.

Kingpen

Kard8p3 said:
Actually there are
9 worlds. It works like NSMBW where when you beat the game a ninth world is unlocked and you open up levels by getting the collectibles in the levels.
There's anywhere from 6 to 9 stages per world from what I've seen.

awesome... thats what I wanted to hear.... My wife and I love Mario and are looking for something in the same vein

Kard8p3

upandaway said:
I'll have to rush through it a little because of time, but I'm getting it at launch anyway. Worst case I'll just finish it next year.

Can't fucking wait.

It'll be impossible for me to rush through because I'll have to collect everything the first time through.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This looks great, and may very well be the first Retro game I'll be able to play and enjoy (not saying the Prime games were bad, but I can't play FPS games).

Kard8p3

Cygnus X-1 said:
Holy crap. Looks so difficult. And LOL at the music by Yamamoto: it's like Magmoor's caverns.

Yeah I showed the trailer to a friend earlier and the first thing he said was it sounded like Magmoor Caverns.

Kard8p3

Kingpen said:
awesome... thats what I wanted to hear.... My wife and I love Mario and are looking for something in the same vein

Yep you guys should have a great time with this game. There seems to be plenty to keep you busy for awhile.

EzLink

Banned
I played through and beat the original DKC yesterday and am zipping through DKC2 today in preparation. Needless to say, hype is at critical mass. I never thought I'd see the day when a true sequel to this glorious trilogy would release

Seda said:
2awfQ.jpg
Couldn't have said it better myself.

EmSeta

Tathanen said:
Oh god damn it I thought we were finally rid of that faux-choral Casio synth that plagued the Primes all these years. Kenji Yamamoto needs to lose his sequencer in the river and drown going after it.

Real chorus or nothing, thanks.

Just my thought. Other Nintendo games feature fantastic orchestral soundtracks.

Meanwhile, in Yamamoto's studio...

Bob_Moog3.jpg

J-Rock

Banned
It really makes me happy to see the platforming genre getting so much love this gen. I can't wait to play this.

udivision

r4z4 said:
Can't wait! Thread title should include:

It's on like Donkey Kong™

Seriously, the tag for this OT should've been one of the easiest to come up with in the history of OT's considering what you mentioned, and some how the mark was missed. A little disappointing.

SpokkX

Khrno said:

:lol

yes donkey kong games have always been very character driven ;)

Red

Oblivion said:
This looks great, and may very well be the first Retro game I'll be able to play and enjoy (not saying the Prime games were bad, but I can't play FPS games).
Not sure how much you've actually played of them, since MP1 and 2 aren't FPSs. You may have an issue with the first person part in general, but if you've been thinking all these years that the first two games were shooters, I urge you to try them out, because they certainly aren't. If you've already tried them and had problems playing, that's a different story (and a damn shame :( ).

Crunched said:
Not sure how much you've actually played of them, since MP1 and 2 aren't FPSs. You may have an issue with the first person part in general, but if you've been thinking all these years that the first two games were shooters, I urge you to try them out, because they certainly aren't. If you've already tried them and had problems playing, that's a different story (and a damn shame :( ).

They aren't????

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
bytesized said:
They aren't????

Well, you shoot at monsters in first person view... that's about all there is that is similar to a FPS. Everything else is like how a Metroid game should be.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
bytesized said:
They aren't????
Its like comparing Super Metroid to Contra. Sure, your primary interaction with the environment is shooting stuff in both, but hardly anyone would call Metroid a "sidescrolling shooter". And the Prime games, number 1 especially especially, nail the Metroid feel.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Oblivion said:
If you haven't tried them, you should; I'm a guy who can't play FPSs, I have tried a lot of FPSs to play and so far I can only play Half Life 1 and Metroid Prime 1.

It even has a target lock on system =P. Oh, and it's the first FPS that you can jump accurately (they did something with the view, it's really amazing), so platforming is not a big deal.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Crunched said:

manueldelalas said:
If you haven't tried them, you should; I'm a guy who can't play FPSs, I have tried a lot of FPSs to play and so far I can only play Half Life 1 and Metroid Prime 1.

It even has a target lock on system =P. Oh, and it's the first FPS that you can jump accurately (they did something with the view, it's really amazing), so platforming is not a big deal.

Sadly, it has nothing to do with the actual level of shooting, but the perspective itself. I LITERALLY cannot play those types of games (they make me dizzy as hell). It's a shame, cause I really would like to. I think I'd probably enjoy it. But alas...

Everyone freaking out over the fact that you can’t play as Diddy in the single player needs to realize that no one knows what happens and is unlocked when you finish the game. So just keep that in mind.

the boner is too big, it's smashing my desk and rising up, reaching the rooftop, becoming a goddamn antenna

the moment I saw that picture with old school Donkey Kong holding a wiimote. Jesus.

this will be glorious

Altazor

Tricky I Shadow said:
Everyone freaking out over the fact that you can’t play as Diddy in the single player needs to realize that no one knows what happens and is unlocked when you finish the game. So just keep that in mind.

Dixie is unlocked :D :D :D

that'd surprise everybody

WillyFive

Tricky I Shadow said:

1532386-example1.jpg

You may have raised hopes too high.

upandaway

Tricky I Shadow said:
I don't even wanna play as Diddy.

He's just so tiny.

But you know, the reason for this might be that Diddy doesn't moves that are essential to 100%'ing the game. Maybe the blowing or or the ground pound. That's kinda understandable.

Top Bottom